Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

PRINCE OF PERSIA!

+16
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Paroxysm
Bigtymin504
Debaser77
Batman25JM
Thundermatts
Joshua
supervenom
Sandman
MillionDollarGeek
Nymn
Astro13Zombie
ChrisToPhenom
Spaced4SimonPegg
prescribeddrone
BlueMaxx
20 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty PRINCE OF PERSIA! Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:45 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Based off the video game(s), this looks like Disney's next attempt at a fantastical trilogy on par with Pirates of the Caribbean.

It looks a bit "Mummy"-ish at points, but that is only because of the settings. I'm pumped for it.

2PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty Re: PRINCE OF PERSIA! Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:59 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I hated the game, I dunno hopefully this is better.

3PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty Re: PRINCE OF PERSIA! Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:26 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Which game?

4PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty Re: PRINCE OF PERSIA! Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:43 pm

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Jake doesn't look right for the part shake my head

5PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty Re: PRINCE OF PERSIA! Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:51 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

He looks pretty fit to me. Wink
PRINCE OF PERSIA! Princeofpersia_1

Did that sound gay? Ah well. Heh.

I get what you mean, though. He's...white. Laughing

6PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty Re: PRINCE OF PERSIA! Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:55 pm

ChrisToPhenom

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

What's funny is that I saw this film as an article on IGN with the title, "PoP trailer" and I was like, "Panels on Pages is advertised on IGN? No way!". I loved the games and I'll just keep an eye on this...no promises it'll be any good though so I'm being safe.

7PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty Re: PRINCE OF PERSIA! Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:55 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

BlueMaxx wrote:^ Which game?

The PS3 one. I despise the controls. I bought it used and stopped playing it about after an hour, I hated it and traded it in.

8PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty Re: PRINCE OF PERSIA! Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:40 pm

Astro13Zombie

Astro13Zombie
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spaced4SimonPegg wrote:Jake doesn't look right for the part shake my head
They could have definitely done better.

9PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty Re: PRINCE OF PERSIA! Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:41 pm

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

BlueMaxx wrote:He looks pretty fit to me. Wink
PRINCE OF PERSIA! Princeofpersia_1

Did that sound gay? Ah well. Heh.

I get what you mean, though. He's...white. Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing I would have preffered that guy from The Mummy..not Brenden Fraser the other dude...the soldier guy.

10PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty Re: PRINCE OF PERSIA! Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:23 pm

Nymn

Nymn
Pirate
Pirate

Awesomesauce! I loved the Sands of Time game, I played through it three times. Strangely, I never finished the second and have never played any of the subsequent games.
I hope the movie has that scene the game did, where he kisses the princess and she gets mad, so he uses the dagger to rewind time and erase it.

11PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty Re: PRINCE OF PERSIA! Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:05 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spaced4SimonPegg wrote:Laughing Laughing Laughing I would have preffered that guy from The Mummy..not Brenden Fraser the other dude...the soldier guy.
Holy wow, ya! He's too old now, though.

I'd have chosen Arj Barker. Laughing
PRINCE OF PERSIA! Arj-barker

I still want to see it. I remember playing the original as a kid. I have the PS2 Sands of Time, but haven't played it yet.

12PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty Re: PRINCE OF PERSIA! Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:15 pm

MillionDollarGeek

MillionDollarGeek
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Is this going to be a back to back to back trilogy? Cause I can wait til the DVD comes out.

13PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty Re: PRINCE OF PERSIA! Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:41 pm

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

BlueMaxx wrote:

I still want to see it. I remember playing the original as a kid. I have the PS2 Sands of Time, but haven't played it yet.

Really Suspect to old??

14PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty Re: PRINCE OF PERSIA! Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:56 pm

Sandman

Sandman
Ninja
Ninja

I will go and see it

15PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty Re: PRINCE OF PERSIA! Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:22 pm

supervenom

supervenom
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

looks like fun.

16PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty Re: PRINCE OF PERSIA! Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:30 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Looks like pretty typical summer movie mediocrity. I'll pass.

17PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty Re: PRINCE OF PERSIA! Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:33 pm

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I only got through forty seconds of the trailer. Never played the games though, so I might be suprised. I wouldn't see it in the theater, but maybe on DVD.

18PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty Re: PRINCE OF PERSIA! Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:45 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Looks pretty good. I don't have sound where I am right now, but the visuals are nice.

It definitely has a Mummy/PotC feel, but I love the first two Mummy movies and all three PotC movies.

I've never played any of the games. I want to though.

19PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty Re: PRINCE OF PERSIA! Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:35 am

Nymn

Nymn
Pirate
Pirate

If you play, play the first one! It's a really fun game with a neat story and the prince character is likable in a Peter Parker kind of way.

20PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty Re: PRINCE OF PERSIA! Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:33 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spaced4SimonPegg wrote:
BlueMaxx wrote:

Really Suspect to old??
Well, if they're going for a series, which they probably are, he's already 40, and The Prince is very youthful. That guy would be the king if he were in the adaptation.

Thundermatts wrote:I only got through forty seconds of the trailer. Never played the games though, so I might be suprised. I wouldn't see it in the theater, but maybe on DVD.
That's what I'm kind of leaning towards. He did want to be Spider-Man and Green Hornet at one point, so I imagine he's going smartly for a good franchise.

21PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty Re: PRINCE OF PERSIA! Tue May 25, 2010 8:46 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Nymn wrote:If you play, play the first one! It's a really fun game with a neat story and the prince character is likable in a Peter Parker kind of way.
My copy started acting hokey. Won't play past a certain point. Damn, I hate Gamestop. shake my head

Prince of Persia accused of white-washing. Rolling Eyes
http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/collections/gallery/2642/prince-of-what/fp#photo0
I thought it was silly that they couldn't find an actor of Persian descent, but would we be arguing over this if it was a latin actor or black actor? Nobody'd make an article and wouldn't even bring it up, and then comment more on how the movie comes off as a Mummy lookalike and how video game movies tend to suck. Laughing Well, I think people would definitely notice if he was black tongue, but whatev. You get what I mean.

22PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty Re: PRINCE OF PERSIA! Thu May 27, 2010 2:06 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

BlueMaxx wrote:

I'd actually see the movie if that were the case.

23PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty Re: PRINCE OF PERSIA! Thu May 27, 2010 4:48 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

BlueMaxx wrote:Prince of Persia accused of white-washing. Rolling Eyes
http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/collections/gallery/2642/prince-of-what/fp#photo0
I thought it was silly that they couldn't find an actor of Persian descent, but would we be arguing over this if it was a latin actor or black actor? Nobody'd make an article and wouldn't even bring it up, and then comment more on how the movie comes off as a Mummy lookalike and how video game movies tend to suck. Laughing Well, I think people would definitely notice if he was black tongue, but whatev. You get what I mean.

Studios' conventional wisdom is that a predominantly white audience, like in the US, will only come out in huge numbers to see a movie if the main protagonist is white. Even with instances like Will Smith, they're probably right about that. I'm pretty sure if the lead actor was actually Middle-Eastern with a Middle-Eastern name then this movie would do pretty poorly at the box office in America, compared to how it will do with a well-known white actor like Gyllenhall as the lead. It's unfortunate but I understand it in a business sense so I don't see it as a big deal really.

That said, I think this looks pretty solid and will probably see it. I generally like Gyllenhall as an actor too.

24PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty Re: PRINCE OF PERSIA! Thu May 27, 2010 6:59 pm

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

This looks awesome. I love Parkour too!

https://www.facebook.com/people/Matt-Marshall/679612060#!/profile

25PRINCE OF PERSIA! Empty Re: PRINCE OF PERSIA! Thu May 27, 2010 7:47 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
BlueMaxx wrote:Prince of Persia accused of white-washing. Rolling Eyes

Studios' conventional wisdom is that a predominantly white audience, like in the US, will only come out in huge numbers to see a movie if the main protagonist is white. Even with instances like Will Smith, they're probably right about that. I'm pretty sure if the lead actor was actually Middle-Eastern with a Middle-Eastern name then this movie would do pretty poorly at the box office in America, compared to how it will do with a well-known white actor like Gyllenhall as the lead. It's unfortunate but I understand it in a business sense so I don't see it as a big deal really.

That said, I think this looks pretty solid and will probably see it. I generally like Gyllenhall as an actor too.

Agreed with Bigs. It's more of a marketing decision, sadly, then anything else. Their decision takes into account the audience.

That said, if it were a black actor or another race, people would be grumbling. It would be akin to the fuss people made when Will Smith was suggested for Superman or Captain America (even Will Smith disliked the idea), or the fuss people made when Kingpin was black (I raised an eyebrow at this one), or even now with Nick Fury and so forth. People's comments about white-washing have considerable validity because Hollywood has a bad history of doing such things and not always pulling it off well (*cough* John Wayne as Genghis Khan *cough*). I still recall people making a fuss over Jessica Alba as Sue Storm and all the tanning jokes that came from it.

Personally, it can be jarring and take away from the believability of the movie, that is, it hurts suspension of belief when it is obvious. They did a decent job with Gyllenhall, but that's not always the case.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum