Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread

+7
AlienIncognito
rwe1138
Administrator
Aussiemandias
Goose
shiky800
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Empty Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:06 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread:

Favorite titles, favorite things he does (as in style and such), favorite characters, favorite anything. Gush away. Wink

Last edited by Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:09 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Planetary (my absolute favorite along with Sandman)
The Authority
Nextwave

These are among of my favorite works, not to mention his run on titles like Thunderbolts, and in Wildstorm and so forth. And even some of his current stuff rocks. I'm still getting around to Transmetropolitan and Hellblazer.

3Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:12 pm

shiky800

shiky800
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

why is this in the dc section he is doing a lot for marvel right now also

4Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:43 am

Goose

Goose
Cadet
Cadet

Whether you like him or not, Ellis is responsible for the comics we are reading today. His Stormwatch was the book that set everything in motion.

5Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:31 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shiky800 wrote:why is this in the dc section he is doing a lot for marvel right now also
And he does heaps of stuff for Avatar which I love.

As far as recent favourites go:

His short run on Thunderbolts was fantastic and as far as I'm concerned Bendis's (let's face it, it is his) Dark Reign probably wouldn't exist without what Ellis did with Osborn and the Thunderbolts. Hell they even got the same artist onto Dark Avengers where a lot of that team of Thunderbolts went.

Black Summer from Avatar was fantastic. Bloody brilliant stuff.

I'm also get Freakangels at the moment which is really good as well and I couldn't recommend it enough. It moves along at a slower pace but it has great art and an interesting world that Ellis is building.

6Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:50 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Why the hell do you post these threads in DC when clearly Morrison and Ellis also have great books outside of that company? You yourself mentioned Nextwave.

Coincidentally:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23543
http://graphicontent.blogspot.com/2009/10/top-25-warren-ellis-comics.html

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

7Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:27 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Tomer Soiker wrote:Why the hell do you post these threads in DC when clearly Morrison and Ellis also have great books outside of that company? You yourself mentioned Nextwave.

Coincidentally:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23543
http://graphicontent.blogspot.com/2009/10/top-25-warren-ellis-comics.html

Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread 1256979619593

In all seriousness, because I, and a number of people associate Ellis with DC, namely due to his association with Wildstorm, where a number of his more criticaly acclaimed works reside. There is Nextwave but again, the association with DC is greater. That and threads in the DC section see more activity than those in the general comic discussion which break and fold under the strain of a grand total of 2 to 3 (maybe 4 if the planets are aligned) truly active threads. I don't mind moving the thread, simply saying. As for Morrison, he has been associated with DC more as of late and even in the past, some of his best work is with them, so again, the association makes sense. I don't do things because I'm drunk off my gourd. Again, I don't mind moving the thread, simply saying. Sleep

8Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:03 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

So what? Mark Bagley penciled solely Marvel books since the first day of his career until two years ago, but nowadays will you associate him only with Marvel? I don't think so.

The threads weren't about Morrison's or Ellis' DC works, but about the creators themselves. Since they have worked outside of DC and you yourself mentioned at least one non-DC work, the place of these threads is in General Comics.

9Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:55 am

rwe1138

rwe1138

I've never been a huge fan of Ellis', but Nextwave is made of pure win.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

10Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:26 pm

AlienIncognito

AlienIncognito
Pirate
Pirate

Agreed. You simply cannot go wrong with Nextwave. Anybody ever read his novel Crooked Little Vein. Interesting read. Very Warren. LOL!

11Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:51 pm

elijahdprophet

elijahdprophet
PoP! Brewmaster
PoP! Brewmaster

I have such a love hate relationship with Ellis. I don't know if it is his super fans who turn me off, or some of his tropes (I READ NEW SCIENTIST TOO!) but something often rubs me the wrong way about his stuff.

That being said, when Transmet was on it was fucking perfect. Planetary had so much promise but seemed to fizzle with all the delays, I was fairly blah about the final issue, after enjoying the bulk of the run.

I met him in 08 at WWC and he was nothing but polite though, even after I revealed that I had been part of an internet conspiracy to call him a bitch.

12Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:30 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

AlienIncognito wrote:Agreed. You simply cannot go wrong with Nextwave. Anybody ever read his novel Crooked Little Vein. Interesting read. Very Warren. LOL!
No, but I want to.

I just found out about this book coming out (or maybe it is already out) about his collected works from essays, articles and internet/magazine submissions.
Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread 4011187751_b6ecfcb6ed_o

I'm actually surprised I haven't read more Ellis. Everytime I read his stuff, he never ceases to not amaze me. At least entertain.

Transmetropolitan has to be my favorite of his. It's so powerful and unorthodox. Who writes about someone who writes? Warren did, and it was magnificent.

Again, I haven't read too much from the guy, and not counting story-arcs of long established super-comic, I can only think of Nextwave, Jack Cross (Which felt like it could go somewhere but was cancelled before it could really impress.), and his run on Hellblazer was one of my faves, right behind Azzarello's Constantine stuff.

13Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:06 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Tomer Soiker wrote:So what? Mark Bagley penciled solely Marvel books since the first day of his career until two years ago, but nowadays will you associate him only with Marvel? I don't think so.

The threads weren't about Morrison's or Ellis' DC works, but about the creators themselves. Since they have worked outside of DC and you yourself mentioned at least one non-DC work, the place of these threads is in General Comics.

Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread 1255800250658

Seriously though, concerning Mark Bagley, no, a person would not be faulted if they made one in Marvel section. It's a fair place for it. A number of his works are with Marvel. The people who post in a given section tend to be fans of books of that company. I rarely make posts in the Marvel section because I'm not a big fan of the company. Can that thread be moved to the general comic section? Of course (then again, damn near anything in either section can). I'm not saying "DON'T MOVE MY THREAD" I'm simply saying "It's original place wasn't as absurd as you are trying to make it seem. Here's why.". In any case, these type of situations (Mod gets angry, person expresses differing viewpoint but goes along with it, mod gets angrier), are part of the reason why I left WUMB so Ill leave it at that. I see nothing wrong with where I put them. There was no fauly logic at work here. But, as I stated in my last post (twice), I have no issue with it being moved, making much of this a non-issue. Hence why this discussion is being held here and not in the Grant Morrison thread. Notice I'm not pitching a fit over there? Because there isn't one. No concerns raised about it so I let it go. Personally I don't care where my threads are moved, considering how much attention I give them. My only concerns were that my motives were questioned and thus I answered said concerns and explained my motives. What's done is done so, it's ultimately whatever. Sleep

That being said, as I said before, Plentary was one of my favorite series. It surprised me since it showed so much range in terms of writing. The whole series in itself was a testament to imagination and was quite wonderful.

14Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:09 pm

pumkinheadfan

pumkinheadfan
Ninja
Ninja

I'm a big fan of his Anna Mercury stuff, but have been wanting to read some of his other stuff. Any suggestions?

15Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:20 am

rwe1138

rwe1138

pumkinheadfan wrote:I'm a big fan of his Anna Mercury stuff, but have been wanting to read some of his other stuff. Any suggestions?

rwe1138 wrote:I've never been a huge fan of Ellis', but Nextwave is made of pure win.
Wink

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

16Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:22 am

Gandicles

Gandicles
Ninja
Ninja

pumkinheadfan wrote:I'm a big fan of his Anna Mercury stuff, but have been wanting to read some of his other stuff. Any suggestions?

Nextwave, Transmetropolitan, and Planetary.

17Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:51 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Mextwave, Fell. Thunderbolts and Iron Man: Extremis are his best core-mainstream works.

18Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:50 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

And I would add to that, from Avatar, Freakangels and Black Summer.

19Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:55 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Oh and to answer the question you had in the other thread I think the steampunk comic you're talking about is probably Freakangels. It's an online comic but I've been getting the trades of it. I think it's great and the art is just beautiful (by Paul Duffield). However, he's got another one starting this month (I think) called Captain Swing and the Electrical Pirates of Cindery Island (cool name) which might be steampunk but I don't know too much about it.

20Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Warren Ellis Appreciation Thread Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:16 am

pumkinheadfan

pumkinheadfan
Ninja
Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:Oh and to answer the question you had in the other thread I think the steampunk comic you're talking about is probably Freakangels. It's an online comic but I've been getting the trades of it. I think it's great and the art is just beautiful (by Paul Duffield). However, he's got another one starting this month (I think) called Captain Swing and the Electrical Pirates of Cindery Island (cool name) which might be steampunk but I don't know too much about it.
Thanks! I had totally forgotten the name and Captain Swing and the Electrical Pirates of Cindery Island was the comic I had heard he was doing, but didn't know when it was coming out.Oh and I will be looking into getting some of the other Ellis stuff that has been suggested in the up coming months.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum