Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins

+2
ChrisToPhenom
BlueMaxx
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Empty The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:24 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thought this was neat.

1839, only survivor of a slang fad in Boston and New York c.1838-9 for abbreviations of common phrases with deliberate, jocular misspellings (cf. K.G. for "no go," as if spelled "know go"); in this case, "oll korrect." Further popularized by use as an election slogan by the O.K. Club, New York boosters of Democratic president Martin Van Buren's 1840 re-election bid, in allusion to his nickname Old Kinderhook, from his birth in the N.Y. village of Kinderhook. Van Buren lost, the word stuck, in part because it filled a need for a quick way to write an approval on a document, bill, etc. The noun is first attested 1841; the verb 1888. Spelled out as okeh, 1919, by Woodrow Wilson, on assumption that it represented Choctaw okeh "it is so" (a theory which lacks historical documentation); this was ousted quickly by okay after the appearance of that form in 1929. Okey-doke is student slang first attested 1932. Greek immigrants to America who returned home early 20c. having picked up U.S. speech mannerisms were known in Greece as okay-boys, among other things.

Reminds me of when my dad said when he got out of the service and went to school, "humongous" had become a word.

2The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Empty Re: The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:53 am

ChrisToPhenom

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

What's funny is that I saw this on my Yahoo! homepage and doubted anybody here would find it interesting but I guess I was wrong. I'm probably one of the few who gets awkward stares saying "P.D.Q time to time.

3The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Empty Re: The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:16 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Heh. I was thinking if anyone read that, either. But ya, thought it was interesting to know something that isn't as well known about a common word/phrase/statement.

4The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Empty Re: The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:30 pm

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

You guys are nerds. tongue

5The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Empty Re: The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:30 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

You are! ...nerds, that is.

6The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Empty Re: The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:05 pm

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Nerd is a term often bearing a derogatory connotation or stereotype, that refers to a person who passionately pursues intellectual activities, esoteric knowledge, or other obscure interests that are age-inappropriate rather than engaging in more social or popular activities. Therefore, a nerd is often excluded from physical activity and considered a loner by peers, or will tend to associate with like-minded people.

7The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Empty Re: The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:17 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Well, stop associating with like-minded people by copying and pasting a definition you found like I did. Wink lol!

8The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Empty Re: The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:14 am

Nymn

Nymn
Pirate
Pirate

Okey-dokey, smokey!

9The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Empty Re: The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:42 pm

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

BlueMaxx wrote:Well, stop associating with like-minded people by copying and pasting a definition you found like I did. Wink lol!

I thought you'd appreciate that. Laughing

10The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Empty Re: The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:45 pm

Tripper McGee

Tripper McGee
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ha! I told this to the PoP! guys a little while back. It drives me crazy when I see "okay." It's "OK"!

http://www.PanelsOnPages.com

11The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Empty Re: The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:47 pm

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Tripper McGee wrote:Ha! I told this to the PoP! guys a little while back. It drives me crazy when I see "okay." It's "OK"!

Well, okay then! Smile

12The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Empty Re: The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:50 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Tripper McGee wrote:Ha! I told this to the PoP! guys a little while back. It drives me crazy when I see "okay." It's "OK"!

Logically, since either is correct, it shouldn't bother you. Personally, I don't really have room to talk -- the reverse is true for me. When I see 'OK', I just assume it's chatspeak laziness. My teachers would actually take points off stories and things if you used O.K., so I always spell it out. Oddly, MS Works' dictionary doesn't recognize 'okay' unless you enter it, but Firefox's built-in doesn't tag it similarly....

As for its origin, I always assumed it had something to do with the shape your hand makes when you give the high sign. I guess you learn something new every day. Very Happy

13The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Empty Re: The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:30 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Yes! In elementary school, I'd been corrected wrongly by teachers a couple times when it came to spelling. Like "alot" being a word, when it is always "a lot" because it is two words. "Allright," when it is "alright." Those stuck with me the most, but I'm sure there are others. Stupid teachers, thinking that they can slide by teaching young kids half-ass'edly. Wink

14The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Empty Re: The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:56 am

Tripper McGee

Tripper McGee
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

BlueMaxx wrote:^ Yes! In elementary school, I'd been corrected wrongly by teachers a couple times when it came to spelling. Like "alot" being a word, when it is always "a lot" because it is two words. "Allright," when it is "alright." Those stuck with me the most, but I'm sure there are others. Stupid teachers, thinking that they can slide by teaching young kids half-ass'edly. Wink

"Alright" is actually nonstandard. It should be "all right" in all uses.

15The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Empty Re: The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:33 pm

Tripper McGee

Tripper McGee
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

superdoug wrote:Logically, since either is correct, it shouldn't bother you.

I guess I don't see "okay" as correct. Seems silly to use an informal spelling that's longer than the actual word.

16The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Empty Re: The Word "Okay" (O.K.): Origins Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:57 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Tripper McGee wrote:
"Alright" is actually nonstandard. It should be "all right" in all uses.
Well, a word that was in the dictionary for 75 years should be taught to me in English class when I'm a child. Hrmph.

Tripper McGee wrote:
I guess I don't see "okay" as correct. Seems silly to use an informal spelling that's longer than the actual word.
Technically it'd be an abbreviation, not a word. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum