Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Strange

+5
prescribeddrone
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Aussiemandias
andy546
Bigtymin504
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Strange Empty Strange Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:06 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Strange #1

Talk about wacky! Strange playing a game of magical baseball against some demons for the fate of the stadium! How can you not like that?? Laughing
Overall a good issue. Its cool to see Strange without the title of Sorcerer Supreme and being kinda limited in his ability right now. He's using his savvy a lot more now. It sucks that the girl lost her granddad...but she seems like the perfect new apprentice for the Doc.

2Strange Empty Re: Strange Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:50 pm

andy546

andy546
Cadet
Cadet

Was The Oath storyline any good?

3Strange Empty Re: Strange Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:13 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Strange #1
How can you not like that?? Laughing
Hmmm...well unfortunately I didn't.

I was hoping for a 4 issue mystical adventure featuring a much depowered Doctor Strange and instead got this fluff. Very, very disappointed.

At least it had a great cover.

And apparently the Doctor is out! surprised

4Strange Empty Re: Strange Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:44 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:

I was hoping for a 4 issue mystical adventure featuring a much depowered Doctor Strange and instead got this fluff. Very, very disappointed.

This sums up my feelings on this title. While I feel he doesn't need to be depowered (just fighting people more on his level), this issue felt like one big running joke. I felt that this current treatment of magic in the Marvel universe will only end poorly, since there is no consistency with it. I mean for crying out load, it's magic! The limit of a person ought to b knowledge of not some power that people have or don't have. Either ways, this attempt to make a street character out of one originally conceived for higher dimensional adventures and rumbles with Galactus and Living Tribunal, is silly to the point it's perposterous. They might as well make Silver Surfer street level while their at it. Marvel is being ridiculous with this shit. Strange is the perfect character for surreal adventures. His dry wit is perfectly suited for situations that would make a lesser man wet himself. A character is best when they are in their element. Nova in space, as opposed to being on Earth. Thor in Asgard and in Asgard-related business as opposed to stopping bank robbers or chasing after and fighting Wolverine. I think the funny thing here is that Dr. Voodoo is Dr. Strange done right, at least in the right direction. This is silly shit. End rant.

5Strange Empty Re: Strange Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:51 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:

I felt the same way, flipped through it and blah, the cover is the only good thing about it. shake my head

6Strange Empty Re: Strange Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:22 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

He got another mini, huh?

7Strange Empty Re: Strange Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:32 am

The Ignored One

The Ignored One
Zombie
Zombie

I liked the first issue.

they set some things up that may pay off, have to wait for the rest of the mini to see.

http://entertainmentdeficitdisorder.wordpress.com/

8Strange Empty Re: Strange Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:09 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

andy546 wrote:Was The Oath storyline any good?

Yes. I thought the Oath was done very well and was hoping that mini-series would have been good enough to get Doctor Strange his own monthly title. I have it in trade.

This was pretty good. As it's a mini-series, I'll get it in trade but I really enjoyed the first issue.

9Strange Empty Re: Strange Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:54 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

andy546 wrote:Was The Oath storyline any good?

The Oath was friggin' FANTASTIC!!!

Here's my review of Strange # 1 on the main site. http://panelsonpages.com/?p=14916

10Strange Empty Re: Strange Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:39 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:Hmmm...well unfortunately I didn't.

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:This sums up my feelings on this title. While I feel he doesn't need to be depowered (just fighting people more on his level), this issue felt like one big running joke. I felt that this current treatment of magic in the Marvel universe will only end poorly, since there is no consistency with it. I mean for crying out load, it's magic! The limit of a person ought to b knowledge of not some power that people have or don't have. Either ways, this attempt to make a street character out of one originally conceived for higher dimensional adventures and rumbles with Galactus and Living Tribunal, is silly to the point it's perposterous. They might as well make Silver Surfer street level while their at it. Marvel is being ridiculous with this shit. Strange is the perfect character for surreal adventures. His dry wit is perfectly suited for situations that would make a lesser man wet himself. A character is best when they are in their element. Nova in space, as opposed to being on Earth. Thor in Asgard and in Asgard-related business as opposed to stopping bank robbers or chasing after and fighting Wolverine. I think the funny thing here is that Dr. Voodoo is Dr. Strange done right, at least in the right direction. This is silly shit. End rant.

Yeah I was half kidding when I said "how can you not like it" lol. I totally get where you guys are coming from, I too expected something totally different. I was expecting a more dark and epic book as opposed to the somewhat fun and grounded tone the first issue had. I kinda liked it though cuz it was different. To me its interesting to see Strange trying to live a normal life but still having to deal with far-from-normal situations like these.

And I get your problem with it Wade, I think we've talked about Marvel's downplaying of Strange's powers before and I agree. He's insanely powerful and should deal with insanely powerful beings. The problem is, if you want to include Strange as a recurring character on Marvel Earth, his powers pretty much have to be toned down greatly. There's really no way around that. But I think it seems like they're trying something different with the character right now so I don't mind it. He's sort of been disgraced from his former position (seems like its the big news for all the magic realm too) and now he's essentially keeping a low profile. So while Doctor Voodoo learns what it means to be Sorcerer Supreme (which was a great idea IMO), Doctor Strange and his place in the MU are sort of free to be explored.

11Strange Empty Re: Strange Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:58 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Aussiemandias wrote:Hmmm...well unfortunately I didn't.

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:This sums up my feelings on this title. While I feel he doesn't need to be depowered (just fighting people more on his level), this issue felt like one big running joke. I felt that this current treatment of magic in the Marvel universe will only end poorly, since there is no consistency with it. I mean for crying out load, it's magic! The limit of a person ought to b knowledge of not some power that people have or don't have. Either ways, this attempt to make a street character out of one originally conceived for higher dimensional adventures and rumbles with Galactus and Living Tribunal, is silly to the point it's perposterous. They might as well make Silver Surfer street level while their at it. Marvel is being ridiculous with this shit. Strange is the perfect character for surreal adventures. His dry wit is perfectly suited for situations that would make a lesser man wet himself. A character is best when they are in their element. Nova in space, as opposed to being on Earth. Thor in Asgard and in Asgard-related business as opposed to stopping bank robbers or chasing after and fighting Wolverine. I think the funny thing here is that Dr. Voodoo is Dr. Strange done right, at least in the right direction. This is silly shit. End rant.

Yeah I was half kidding when I said "how can you not like it" lol. I totally get where you guys are coming from, I too expected something totally different. I was expecting a more dark and epic book as opposed to the somewhat fun and grounded tone the first issue had. I kinda liked it though cuz it was different. To me its interesting to see Strange trying to live a normal life but still having to deal with far-from-normal situations like these.

And I get your problem with it Wade, I think we've talked about Marvel's downplaying of Strange's powers before and I agree. He's insanely powerful and should deal with insanely powerful beings. The problem is, if you want to include Strange as a recurring character on Marvel Earth, his powers pretty much have to be toned down greatly. There's really no way around that. But I think it seems like they're trying something different with the character right now so I don't mind it. He's sort of been disgraced from his former position (seems like its the big news for all the magic realm too) and now he's essentially keeping a low profile. So while Doctor Voodoo learns what it means to be Sorcerer Supreme (which was a great idea IMO), Doctor Strange and his place in the MU are sort of free to be explored.

No you will not calm my rage. I already have my red latern ring. Laughing But seriously, I understand where you're coming from. I can understand Dr. Strange being part of Marvel Earth and his powr and all that. However, there are so many ways in which this can be done. In any case, this issue was something I would not mind if it was an aside in a series of serious issues, or simply used as a tool to introduce new characters into his series. In the end, my frustration comes from the fact that both characters (Strange and Voodoo) can have alot done with them, yet they are only doing something right with one, and simply not doing much with the other. I think my irritation is not just for this series, but more for Marvel's treatment of Strange over the last couple years (easily a decade). It feels bad , man.

12Strange Empty Re: Strange Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:42 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:No you will not calm my rage. I already have my red latern ring. Laughing But seriously, I understand where you're coming from. I can understand Dr. Strange being part of Marvel Earth and his powr and all that. However, there are so many ways in which this can be done. In any case, this issue was something I would not mind if it was an aside in a series of serious issues, or simply used as a tool to introduce new characters into his series. In the end, my frustration comes from the fact that both characters (Strange and Voodoo) can have alot done with them, yet they are only doing something right with one, and simply not doing much with the other. I think my irritation is not just for this series, but more for Marvel's treatment of Strange over the last couple years (easily a decade). It feels bad , man.

Gotcha man. On the issue of new characters, it seems like that's one of the goals of this series with that girl Strange helped. It looks like she will become his new apprentice.

13Strange Empty Re: Strange Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:45 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Gotcha man. On the issue of new characters, it seems like that's one of the goals of this series with that girl Strange helped. It looks like she will become his new apprentice.
Unfortunately that's my other issue with this book. You're right. It does seem pretty clear that her becoming his apprentice is going to be the core of this book. If that's the case I think Waid's got it all wrong. I think we really needed the focus on Strange at this point and how he's dealing with things. Not him training an apprentice. The book's called Strange and he's not even going to be the main focus.

I'm bitterly disappointed with this book. Sad

14Strange Empty Re: Strange Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:30 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

I have similar reservations with the new apprentice, but I'll reserve judgment until I read issue #2.

15Strange Empty Re: Strange Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:30 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Strange #2

I'm quite enjoying this book. I like Strange's new apprentice Casey, she seems like a character with a lot of potential down the road. Her and Strange already kinda have a great father/daughter relationship. It was pretty funny how she kept haphazardly using the vanishing spell, who knew it would be such a big political deal with a magical entity from another dimension Laughing

Oh and I liked the fact that we saw a bit of frustration show through from Strange about losing so much of his power. He's been pretty calm about it for the most part, but I gotta imagine it would suck to go from being one of the most powerful beings in the universe to basically a two-bit mage.

16Strange Empty Re: Strange Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:59 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Strange #2
It was pretty funny how she kept haphazardly using the vanishing spell, who knew it would be such a big political deal with a magical entity from another dimension Laughing

That was pretty funny point. Personally, I did not like this book. What I thought would be a book about Strange is nothing more than a vehicle to introduce this new apprentice, whom I don't care about.

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Oh and I liked the fact that we saw a bit of frustration show through from Strange about losing so much of his power. He's been pretty calm about it for the most part, but I gotta imagine it would suck to go from being one of the most powerful beings in the universe to basically a two-bit mage.

Quesada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17Strange Empty Re: Strange Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:24 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:Strange #2
It was pretty funny how she kept haphazardly using the vanishing spell, who knew it would be such a big political deal with a magical entity from another dimension Laughing

That was pretty funny point. Personally, I did not like this book. What I thought would be a book about Strange is nothing more than a vehicle to introduce this new apprentice, whom I don't care about.

Bigtymin504 wrote:

Quesada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laughing

18Strange Empty Re: Strange Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:29 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

I liked issue #2 a lot better than #1. Casey's starting to grow on me.

19Strange Empty Re: Strange Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:42 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I was a bit late on reading this one.

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:
Personally, I did not like this book. What I thought would be a book about Strange is nothing more than a vehicle to introduce this new apprentice, whom I don't care about.
You echo my thoughts exactly, Wade. As I've said before I'm very disappointed that the focus of this book isn't wholly about Strange and him dealing with where he's at in the world now.

Also, I've always liked the idea that Dr Strange had to study and work for years and years to get where he was. Now we get this person who's literally capable of great magic in a matter of days. Great. Yawn. That's Mark Waid cutting corners. Basically her (and I can't remember her name right now, that's how much I care about the character) use of magic really isn't much different from any other kind of super powers out there which I really find dull.

20Strange Empty Re: Strange Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:52 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Strange #3

This was...disturbing Laughing. Beauty pageants with little girls are creepy enough, but mix in some demons and magic and it just becomes down right scary. According to the apprentice Casey, magic is "having a stroke" lol, now lets see if Strange has still got it...

21Strange Empty Re: Strange Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:51 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Not a bad ending to this mini. Strange literally performed surgery on the universe...but the consequence was losing his new apprentice Casey. But seems like he can still track her soul. Overall a decent story.

22Strange Empty Re: Strange Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:34 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Not a bad ending to this mini. Strange literally performed surgery on the universe...but the consequence was losing his new apprentice Casey. But seems like he can still track her soul. Overall a decent story.
Of all the issues I have to admit I liked the last one the best. This mini just really wasn't what I was hoping for which is really more about my expectations than the quality of the mini. At lease the last one came back to more of a focus on Strange rather than the apprentice. Anyway, will be interesting to see if Marvel progresses this storyline.

23Strange Empty Re: Strange Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:43 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Anybody pick up The Mystic Hands of Dr. Strange one-shot?

Strange 300px-Mystic_Hands_of_Dr._Strange_Vol_1_1_Textless

It was a pretty good anthology book with some different stories by different writers. It's in black n white too which looks kinda cool, especially the art by Frazer Irving.

24Strange Empty Re: Strange Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:53 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Anybody pick up The Mystic Hands of Dr. Strange one-shot?

Strange 300px-Mystic_Hands_of_Dr._Strange_Vol_1_1_Textless

It was a pretty good anthology book with some different stories by different writers. It's in black n white too which looks kinda cool, especially the art by Frazer Irving.
I didn't pick it up last week but my comic shop guy was saying it was really good so he's finding me a copy for this week.

25Strange Empty Re: Strange Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:08 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Cool. Its worth a read, I think Strange fans should enjoy it much more than the recent mini.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum