Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

February Suggestions for POP! Reads

+7
Ben Akers
shining knight
Denim
comicgeekelly
MikeSabian
BlueMaxx
flux336
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Pick your PoP! Read

February Suggestions for POP! Reads Vote_lcap0%February Suggestions for POP! Reads Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
February Suggestions for POP! Reads Vote_lcap42%February Suggestions for POP! Reads Vote_rcap 42% [ 5 ]
February Suggestions for POP! Reads Vote_lcap0%February Suggestions for POP! Reads Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
February Suggestions for POP! Reads Vote_lcap17%February Suggestions for POP! Reads Vote_rcap 17% [ 2 ]
February Suggestions for POP! Reads Vote_lcap8%February Suggestions for POP! Reads Vote_rcap 8% [ 1 ]
February Suggestions for POP! Reads Vote_lcap33%February Suggestions for POP! Reads Vote_rcap 33% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 12

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty February Suggestions for POP! Reads Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:59 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

This works the same as the January thread, just start throwing out suggestions! Remember, in February we'll read either a prose novel or a short story collection.

Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders - Neil Gaiman

Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea - Chelsea Handler

Last edited by Tomer Soiker on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Poll added)

2February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty Re: February Suggestions for POP! Reads Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:43 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

flux336 wrote:
Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders - Neil Gaiman

Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea - Chelsea Handler
I am almost finished with Fragile Things. I've been pacing through it, being that it is a book of short stories. I have the audio book, narrated with the wonderful, oratory voice of Neil Gaiman himself. I have the last three stories left: Sunbird, Inventing Aladdin, and Monarch of the Glen. The latter of which I was waiting to make room for Anansi Boys. I know, I know, how long have I put that off? tongue Saving that book for when it feels right to read. Heh.

As for Chelsea Handler second book(?), I almost got that for my sis and sister-in-law. No, wait, it was her book of one-night stands. I read an excerpt, and it was actually pretty funny. Funnier than her show, anyway. Not that it is a bad show, her show's humor just doesn't make me laugh.

3February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty Re: February Suggestions for POP! Reads Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:08 pm

MikeSabian

MikeSabian
Ninja
Ninja

My suggestion for February:
February Suggestions for POP! Reads Peterandmax

4February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty Re: February Suggestions for POP! Reads Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:34 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Good one!

5February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty Re: February Suggestions for POP! Reads Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:54 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

MikeSabian wrote:My suggestion for February:

I hadn't even heard of that one. Looks cool. I just read Fables: Animal Farm about a week ago.

6February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty Re: February Suggestions for POP! Reads Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:10 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Book of Lies by Brad Meltzer
Was Superman a Spy? by Brian Cronin

7February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty Re: February Suggestions for POP! Reads Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:38 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

Make some suggestions bump!

8February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty Re: February Suggestions for POP! Reads Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:29 pm

Denim

Denim
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/theusernameiwantedformyprofile

9February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty Re: February Suggestions for POP! Reads Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:14 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

I never finished American Gods by Gaiman, so I'm thinking of trying again.

10February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty Re: February Suggestions for POP! Reads Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:52 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

flux336 wrote:I never finished American Gods by Gaiman, so I'm thinking of trying again.
February Suggestions for POP! Reads Its-always-sunny-dennis-mac-gasp

11February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty Re: February Suggestions for POP! Reads Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:16 am

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

fables peter and max!

12February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty Re: February Suggestions for POP! Reads Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:10 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

BlueMaxx wrote:
flux336 wrote:I never finished American Gods by Gaiman, so I'm thinking of trying again.
February Suggestions for POP! Reads Its-always-sunny-dennis-mac-gasp

I'm sorry! Life got in the way! Laughing

13February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty Re: February Suggestions for POP! Reads Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:52 am

Ben Akers

Ben Akers
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

MikeSabian wrote:My suggestion for February:

This one!

14February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty Re: February Suggestions for POP! Reads Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:29 pm

Denim

Denim
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

American Gods to get folks to become more familer with this:

From Neil's Journel Blog http://journal.neilgaiman.com/

Most exciting news was an email from The House on the Rock. Now The House on the Rock is a real place about an hour west of Madison Wi, that I write about in American Gods, and I had to tone down my description of it and leave things out in the book in order to make it believable.

It's a monument to kitsch and wonder and madness and uncertainty. It contains the largest carousel in the world, which nobody ever gets to ride (although people ride it in the book. It takes them somewhere). I know that people read American Gods and then visit the House on the Rock, because they tell me at signings and in email, and it looks like the House on the Rock has noticed this too.

Tom Kupsh at the House on the Rock suggested some kind of event for fans. I asked what he had in mind, and this is what I got back:

Here are the ideas we have so far:

--Although the tenth anniversary of publication is 2011, we would like to do something this year (and maybe next year as well). We would like to do this over the Halloween weekend--perhaps a three day event.

--I suggest you go to our web site at thehouseontherock.com and see the facilities that we have at the three sites. We have a limited number of rooms--about 200; there are a great number of rooms available within easy driving distance. We also have some conference rooms available and are accoustomed to handling large groups.

--We are working on a way to allow a limited number of guests to ride the carousel.

--We want the fans of American Gods to give us their ideas about what the weekend should be.

--We want all the suggestions, ideas and guidance we can get from your end.

--Most of all, we want you to come and celebrate with us.

If you're interested and you have ideas then send them to me through the FAQ line and I'll make sure they get to Tom. What kinds of talks or panels (for example) would you like to attend? Or give? Do you want to dress up as American Gods characters? (I don't think I've ever seen any American Gods COSplay.) Do you want... well, I don't know what you want. But if you tell me, I'll tell Tom.

I'm pretty sure it'll be one hell of a Hallowe'en.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/theusernameiwantedformyprofile

15February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty Re: February Suggestions for POP! Reads Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:41 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

^ Dang, I've got to read AG!

16February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty Re: February Suggestions for POP! Reads Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:57 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

did we ever nail down a book for Feb? I want to join in but I need to make sure the library gets the book in....

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

17February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty Re: February Suggestions for POP! Reads Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:20 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Illuminatus Trilogy

Jennifer Government

1984 (If anybody hasn't read it)

Neverwhere

18February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty Re: February Suggestions for POP! Reads Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

shark6495 wrote:did we ever nail down a book for Feb? I want to join in but I need to make sure the library gets the book in....
A poll will most likely be up soon.

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

19February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty Re: February Suggestions for POP! Reads Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:48 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Bump. A poll was added.

20February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty Re: February Suggestions for POP! Reads Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:14 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

Yay! Thanks for putting up the poll, Tomer!

21February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty Re: February Suggestions for POP! Reads Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:33 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

The poll will close on Sunday (Jan. 31) at 3 p.m. CST. I'll try to stay on top of the March thread so we don't have to cut it so close.

Thanks to everyone that made suggestions and voted. You all are awesome! February Suggestions for POP! Reads 049

22February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty Re: February Suggestions for POP! Reads Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:37 am

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

as much as I like was superman a spy does that even count as a prose novel?!?

23February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty Re: February Suggestions for POP! Reads Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:10 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

It's not a comic book, that's for sure.

24February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty Re: February Suggestions for POP! Reads Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:19 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shining knight wrote:as much as I like was superman a spy does that even count as a prose novel?!?

This. I think the Superman and Chelsea Handler books are in the realm of 'barely qualifying'. Personally, I'm not a big fan of non-fiction books (unless they're true-crime books).

25February Suggestions for POP! Reads Empty Re: February Suggestions for POP! Reads Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:27 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Holy crap, my suggestions are in 1st and 3rd place.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum