Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Regarding the Big Two: where do you lie?

+30
gangsternerd
Rath99
Thundermatts
Spider_Fan14
Toothgrinder
christianblackhart
Ric Magnum
jaydee74
Batman25JM
shiky800
DickGrayson007
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Administrator
riv1
J Nova
LordD3r3k
BlueMaxx
blue halo
shining knight
Debaser77
Esbat
Lee
krpykrwly
Metal Misfit
alucardbarnivous
Combo Mo
superdoug
rwe1138
FroZen
Joshua
34 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

When it comes down to it, which do you prefer?

Regarding the Big Two: where do you lie? - Page 3 Vote_lcap50%Regarding the Big Two: where do you lie? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 50% [ 19 ]
Regarding the Big Two: where do you lie? - Page 3 Vote_lcap50%Regarding the Big Two: where do you lie? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 50% [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 38

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spidey_82 wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:
Spidey_82 wrote:It's hard to judge the movies and TV shows as both companies are mostly involved just by putting their logo on the product. This is the case with Marvel movies until Iron Man and DC... always. At least the connection between DC and WB gained some of their shows collaborations with comic book writers, which resulted in some of their best episodes.

Anyway, I believe most of us here judges the companies by their comic books and nothing else.

I judge them on movies and shows as well as comics. I do this because the companies have to okay the shows, and they have to oversee them. Also, many comic writers write for the shows. Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost (who currently write X-Force) for example, are the ones behind all the Marvel Animated movies as well as Wolverine and the X-Men. And Christopher Yost is the head of Iron Man: Armored Adventures.

I know that the companies have a hand in the movies. Like Iron Man for example, many of the comic writers worked on it.
No, they don't. Marvel only started being involved directly in its movies with Iron Man. Their cartoon shows from the last couple of years are more "company work" but still done mostly by a studio. Craig Kyle came to comics from his Marvel animated work, which continues to this day.

With Warner owning DC, the latter has no say about movies based on its characters and the evidence is the movies they've done (or not) in the last 20 years, with the current Batman franchise being the exception. Not that DC was involved in the four decades Warner owns it. The cartoons, while also not being directly connected to DC, had the privilege in last decade and a half to get the involvement of DC's writers.

An evidence to the distinction between the comics aspect and TV/films is the Blade TV show from a few years ago, a show Geoff Johns was a writer on while being an exclusive writer for DC comics.

I never said that Marvel was directly involved. They might not be directly involved, but they aren't completely separate. They have to okay certain things. Weren't they one of the ones who pushed Venom to be in Spidey 3?

I know that Craig Kyle came to comics from his Marvel animation work, but he's still a comic writer now.

I know that DC does have at least a little say in animation. Bruce Timm and co. were talking about getting okays for certain characters/stories in their commentaries.

Even if the companies don't have much involvement in the movies/shows I don't care. They are still DC and Marvel properties and I will use them in my breakdown of what I like about the companies if I so choose.

Joshua wrote:Since this is in the 'Comics in General' forum I thought it was pretty clear that the only real quantifying factor in determining this is their respective comic book universes. Bringing in things like movies and cartoons, where the comic companies have little to no say (until very recently for Marvel), is completely irrelevant. By that logic we should also include theme park rides (which DC handily wins).

It isn't irrelevant. I broke down my liking of the two companies how I chose to do it.

There was no specification that I couldn't include movies and shows. And it doesn't even matter that I included them. I also talked about the comics and characters.

I like to include all aspects that I enjoy about the characters from each company.

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Weren't they one of the ones who pushed Venom to be in Spidey 3?
That was Avi Arad, who has NOTHING to do with comics and has been fucking up Marvel media for years.

It isn't irrelevant. I broke down my liking of the two companies how I chose to do it.

There was no specification that I couldn't include movies and shows. And it doesn't even matter that I included them. I also talked about the comics and characters.

I like to include all aspects that I enjoy about the characters from each company.
You're absolutely right. Superman toothbrushes are way cooler than Spider-man toothbrushes, therefore Marvel sucks. Because this is my opinion I cannot be criticized. On the other hand, I have a Hulk flashlight that beats the snot out of my Batman flashlight. But wait, my Flash bumper sticker rocks my nads and my Avengers bumper sticker is terrible! I'm so torn.

Fuck me, just because you're allowed to have an opinion doesn't mean we can't point out that your logic is flawed (and it is). I didn't realize I had to spell everything out for people. This is a COMIC BOOK forum, therefore any thread regarding COMIC BOOK publishers about COMIC BOOKS is going to be centered around the printed page, not movies, cartoons, roller coasters, or footy pajamas.

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:
Weren't they one of the ones who pushed Venom to be in Spidey 3?
That was Avi Arad, who has NOTHING to do with comics and has been fucking up Marvel media for years.

You're absolutely right. Superman toothbrushes are way cooler than Spider-man toothbrushes, therefore Marvel sucks. Because this is my opinion I cannot be criticized. On the other hand, I have a Hulk flashlight that beats the snot out of my Batman flashlight. But wait, my Flash bumper sticker rocks my nads and my Avengers bumper sticker is terrible! I'm so torn.

Fuck me, just because you're allowed to have an opinion doesn't mean we can't point out that your logic is flawed (and it is). I didn't realize I had to spell everything out for people. This is a COMIC BOOK forum, therefore any thread regarding COMIC BOOK publishers about COMIC BOOKS is going to be centered around the printed page, not movies, cartoons, roller coasters, or footy pajamas.

God your an ass.

First of all, Avi Arad is (or was) and executive at Marvel Entertainment. That is a MARVEL company.

One of the DC Universe movies (New Frontier) was not only based off of a fucking comic book, they had said writer of the book supervise the movie! So, it is a cross over between the comics and movies. Then there is Superman: Doomsday that is based off of the comic story, and the upcoming Superman/Batman: Public Enemies.

Oh, and one thing that DC controlled with Superman: TAS was Supergirl. They didn't want her to be Kryptonian in the show, so they had to work around that.

That whole toothbrush argument is asinine. The shows and movies are actual stories based on the characters. A toothbrush doesn't have a story. So, while not comics, they are still Marvel and DC stories, using their characters.

My logic is not flawed. I took Marvel and DC and I broke down different aspects of their products to say what I liked better between the two.

I really don't understand why you have to be such a dick about this. Yes, it's a comic book forum, and yes, the two companies are comic companies, but they do more than just that. I said what I though and you two got pissed because I talked about movies and shows? That's ridiculous. I can talk about whatever the hell I want. You can have your conversation centered around comics, and I can bring movies and shows into the conversation if I so choose, and I still talked about the comics.

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Marvel Entertainment is not a comics company. It's a media corporation with many divisions, comics being one of them. Avi Arad was never related to that division, and if he had any connection to it is producing all of their cartoons and movies in the last 17 years, and continuing so although quitting his managing role in the company.

Yes, Joshua is an ass, but he's not wrong at all in saying you can't judge DC COMICS and Marvel COMICS by adding their merchandise and non-comics products. Doing so does no justice to any of the publishers nor to the other posters who most likely judges the companies by their comics products only.

(It reminds me seeing a thread at WUMB last year thanking Joe Quesada for the Iron Man movie...)

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spidey_82 wrote:
Yes, Joshua is an ass, but he's not wrong
lmao
I want that on my tombstone.

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spidey_82 wrote:Marvel Entertainment is not a comics company. It's a media corporation with many divisions, comics being one of them. Avi Arad was never related to that division, and if he had any connection to it is producing all of their cartoons and movies in the last 17 years, and continuing so although quitting his managing role in the company.

Yes, Joshua is an ass, but he's not wrong at all in saying you can't judge DC COMICS and Marvel COMICS by adding their merchandise and non-comics products. Doing so does no justice to any of the publishers nor to the other posters who most likely judges the companies by their comics products only.

(It reminds me seeing a thread at WUMB last year thanking Joe Quesada for the Iron Man movie...)

I never did judge the DC or Marvel COMICS by their non comic products. In my original post I broke each thing into it's own category. I put Marvel characters vs. DC characters, Marvel Comics vs. DC Comics, Marvel movies vs. DC movies, and Marvel animated projects vs. DC animated projects. I never meant to imply that the actual comics were effected by movies or shows. If I didn't make that clear I'm sorry. I was just trying to break down all the things I like about each company's products.

In terms of the characters in each company I like them equally.

As for what's going on in each universe right now, I'm enjoying Marvel more. I love Dark Reign. I'm getting and enjoying more Marvel books. DC has some good ones like the Green Lantern and Superman books, but right now, Marvel is ahead.

In regards to the editorial aspects of each, it's again tied. They have done things I like and things I don't. Marvel has the whole OMD/BND mess that I hate, and DC has RIP and FC.

Ric Magnum

Ric Magnum
Pirate
Pirate

I read only Marvel. I grew up reading both and have a strong attachment to the characters therein. I have tried reading DC but I find myself not really caring about the characters. Even the big three at DC (Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman) don't invoke that much interest in me. I never really like Superman because he seems to be impervious to everything. There seems to be nothing fallable about the character. Granted I don't know much about Superman, but I can't really get into a character who can do everything and who only has one weakness. Some may say the same about Wolverine or the Hulk, but those two characters are tragic and have faults and seem more interesting to me. Just my two cents.

Esbat

Esbat
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Regarding the Big Two, I like to motorboat them.

Wait this isn't the abyss!

http://realityfugitives.com/

christianblackhart

christianblackhart
Cadet
Cadet

I gotta lean to Marvel, but it's very close, very close indeed.

Toothgrinder

Toothgrinder
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Marvel all the way. My first and only love, with my first two titles being Hulk and Avengers. Looks like I've given Marvel a slight lead, yay!

61Regarding the Big Two: where do you lie? - Page 3 Empty Regarding the Big Two: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:54 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

i used to have an equal love for Marvel and DC, but nowadays im a big DC man since i decided to follow Final Crisis instead of Secret Invasion and it seems DC's not as event crazy as Marvel now imho. I still enjoy Avengers: The Inatitive and Thor though.

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Spider_Fan14 wrote:it seems DC's not as event crazy as Marvel now imho.
Reeeeeaaaaaaaally...?

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Reading Marvel the last few years was a chore. Even the Ultimate Universe got really bad, and that was what got me into comics.

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

For the most part I'm a Marvel guy. I read DC books but a majority of the books I read are Marvel. When it comes to events Marvel is better at them.

gangsternerd

gangsternerd
Pirate
Pirate

only dc i do is batman
only character who I can relate to

66Regarding the Big Two: where do you lie? - Page 3 Empty Regarding the Big Two: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:08 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spidey_82 wrote:
Spider_Fan14 wrote:it seems DC's not as event crazy as Marvel now imho.
Reeeeeaaaaaaaally...?

blush oh yeah, Blackest Night and the upcoming Batman thing, I forgot about that. But anyway, i just find things i like better then Marvel and Batman is my all time favorite superhero.

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

gangsternerd wrote:only dc i do is batman
only character who I can relate to

How about a grant? I need to finance my education.

http://blog.myspace.com/alucardbarnivous

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Who relates to a billionaire whose parents were mrudere so he bacem the best martial artist and detective and dresses in a costume an fights crime?

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I relate more to Tony Stark: a billionaire whose dad was murdered so he became the best scientist and playboy and dresses in a suit of armor and fights crime.

http://blog.myspace.com/alucardbarnivous

andy546

andy546
Cadet
Cadet

I find myself more attracted towards Marvel than DC. Although DC has some excellent characters that I will, on occasion read such as: Batman, Superman, The Demon and Swamp Thing. I grew up on Marvel and the afromented DC characters. (Does Vertigo series like The Sandman count as DC? If, so then that is another DC I like.)

Sir Not

Sir Not
Cadet
Cadet

Thread necro... love it!

I'm weird in that while I read more Marvel titles, I get more excited over my DC ones (and I only read Batman and both GL series). When I bring home the weekly bounty (or bi weekly depending), I tend to save the DC books for the very last, and I do this so I'm not zipping right through them- I want to savor them and read them slowly, and I just can't do that if I know I've got other books waiting to be read.

Tom

Tom
Ninja
Ninja

All I read right now is DC, which is the total opposite of what I grew up on.
I wanted to start reading Spider-man and Wolverine again, but they have too many damn title out.
So I'm sticking with Green Lantern and the BN mini.
I've read the 1st two issues of Sweet Tooth. Good story and I can't say that I know what the heck is gonna happen in #3, so I'm pretty excited to see what happens. Art is kinda weird. Gritty, which fits the story, but totally different that what Ivan Reis is doing.
I did recently pick up Walking Dead Vol 1. Haven't read it yet, so we'll see what happens.

BrodieBruce_BlaculaHunter

BrodieBruce_BlaculaHunter
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

DC has more of my favorite characters. So I swing that way.

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

BrodieBruce_BlaculaHunter wrote:DC has more of my favorite characters. So I swing that way.

Same here. Although I do love Marvel, I just prefer DC a tad more.

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I've never really liked one more than the other. There are times when one company is putting out better work than the other but that always goes back and forth.

I've never understood why people like one company and not the other. I can understand have a preference of one over the other but to completely not buy the other companies books because your a Marvel guy or a DC guy is something I don't get.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum