Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Book of Eli

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Book of Eli Empty The Book of Eli Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:44 pm

ChrisToPhenom

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'll be seeing this-almost any film with Denzel I'm interested in and I missed out on The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 after American Gangster but I'll be sure to see this in the theater. Also, Mila Kunis is in the film also and she looks hot so that's plus for me.

So this film takes place 33 years from now which then is the end of the world and Eli who is a loner guards a certain bible that's the last one on the world. Like Denzel said on Jay Leno last night, "-and of course, there's people who get in my way". Though the plot seems thin, I think this will be an improved I Am Legen maybe...check out the trailer for yourself.

Trailer-

IMDb-
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1037705/

Wiki-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Eli

Poster-
The Book of Eli The_book_of_eli_poster2a

Cool Comic Poster I Found-
The Book of Eli Book-of-eli-poster_m

2The Book of Eli Empty Re: The Book of Eli Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:48 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I love post-apocalyptic themes so this looks cool, however I'll probably wait for the DVD. Going to the theaters takes too much effort, I'll save that effort for a few other movies I really, really want to see.

3The Book of Eli Empty Re: The Book of Eli Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:36 am

ChrisToPhenom

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Hm...IMDb has over 400 votes making this film a 7.6/10-could be decent. I'll post Spill.Com's animated review when it's uploaded for you all to see.

4The Book of Eli Empty Re: The Book of Eli Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:56 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I've heard nothing bad about this. Still will wait for rental.

5The Book of Eli Empty Re: The Book of Eli Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:58 am

vikoros

vikoros
Ninja
Ninja

Just got done watching this one. It was definitely worth the trip to the theaters in my book <- see what I did there?

Pros:
- Has a great, gritty feel.
- Didn't waste too much time with explanations or flashbacks... just enough to give us understanding.
- Denzel, as ever, was solid.
- used Biblical elements without stepping on anyone's toes... something I think is extremely difficult. I am a Christian, though I'm oftened annoyed by the hate-mongering church-goers who go by the same name, and I was worried that this movie might have them up in arms. There's also the risk of alienating the non-Bible loving crowd. I felt like this one played the middle ground very well. I really enjoyed it as a movie and what I could personally draw from it in a Christian perspective, and my non-Christian friends weren't offended by any overt messages and were able to enjoy the film for what it was.

Cons:
- I felt like there could have been a bit more to it. Which, I guess, is a good Con. Who knows, adding anything more might have just watered it down.
- There weren't very many good characters in it. Only two or three that were dynamic and round. Not that I wanted a rising and falling character arc for everybody, I just felt like a lot of them were a little too flat. The bald second-in command guy especially... it was almost as if they wanted to give him motivation but only when it worked for the plot.

Overall, I give it a 4 pies out of 5. Maybe even 4.5.

6The Book of Eli Empty Re: The Book of Eli Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:07 am

ChrisToPhenom

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

vikoros wrote:Just got done watching this one. It was definitely worth the trip to the theaters in my book <- see what I did there?

Pros:
- Has a great, gritty feel.
- Didn't waste too much time with explanations or flashbacks... just enough to give us understanding.
- Denzel, as ever, was solid.
- used Biblical elements without stepping on anyone's toes... something I think is extremely difficult. I am a Christian, though I'm oftened annoyed by the hate-mongering church-goers who go by the same name, and I was worried that this movie might have them up in arms. There's also the risk of alienating the non-Bible loving crowd. I felt like this one played the middle ground very well. I really enjoyed it as a movie and what I could personally draw from it in a Christian perspective, and my non-Christian friends weren't offended by any overt messages and were able to enjoy the film for what it was.

Cons:
- I felt like there could have been a bit more to it. Which, I guess, is a good Con. Who knows, adding anything more might have just watered it down.
- There weren't very many good characters in it. Only two or three that were dynamic and round. Not that I wanted a rising and falling character arc for everybody, I just felt like a lot of them were a little too flat. The bald second-in command guy especially... it was almost as if they wanted to give him motivation but only when it worked for the plot.

Overall, I give it a 4 pies out of 5. Maybe even 4.5.
4/5? I think I'll be giving it that also after I see it. I was listening to the Spill Crew's uncut podcast review and one of them thought it was a bit too preachy but it doesn't seem that bad reading the latest reviews and all.

7The Book of Eli Empty Re: The Book of Eli Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:54 pm

(._Y_.)

(._Y_.)
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Saw it last night and thought it was OK. The very end should have been done differently... the veeeerrrrrryyyy end.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum