Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Avengers Thread

+30
TheBrownLantern
Debaser77
Heytherejeffro
TheeDoctorWhoHasDreads?
hrdwrkngXsoldier
DickGrayson007
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
dmahoney
G_Zatara
Foreigner_Man
Mnemosis
KingJoffers
Fresh03
vikoros
Jango Fett
shiky800
The Ignored One
LOOSECANNON
Aussiemandias
Administrator
prescribeddrone
comicgeekelly
Batman25JM
Sandman
Bigtymin504
Chi-Town Spidey
Spider_Fan14
Lee
Joshua
jaydee74
34 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 15]

276The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Fri May 21, 2010 11:47 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I don't mind Spidey on both teams either. This where a clone would come in handy... Scarlet Spider in New Avengers.... But yeah, it's cool.

277The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Fri May 21, 2010 11:52 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Man, I'd LOVE that. If they had Scarlet Spider on the New Avengers I'd be ecstatic. I LOVE the Scarlet Spider costume.

Honestly, that would be perfect. It'd stop people from complaining that Spidey is on two teams at once, but still allow for a Spider-Man on each team.

278The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Sat May 22, 2010 12:21 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Agreed Smile

There's 2 Cap's, 2 Hulks.. why not?

279The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Sat May 22, 2010 12:40 am

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Exactly.

280The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Sat May 22, 2010 3:24 am

TheBrownLantern

TheBrownLantern
Cadet
Cadet

I like Bendis but I'm trying to stay away from the New Heroic Age Avengers re-boot. I have to save money for real though. And four all-new Avengers titles seems a little too much. Especially when The Avengers title and New Avengers title share so many similarities...its going to be interesting seeing how it goes. But Bendis is the man so we shall see. I'm sure he'll pull it off.

I wanted to see what everyone was saying. A mixed bag, which is what I figured it might be.

281The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Mon May 24, 2010 5:38 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Didn't mind the first issue at all. Can't say I liked the art much, in particular Spider-Woman and Maria Hill but also Thor looked pretty ridiculous in some panels (have a look at him in the scene where Steve Rogers has them assembled around the table).

While I don't mind the idea behind the Oral History of the Avengers (and at least we're getting extra content for the price) it does tend to highlight a weakness of Bendis's writing (in my opinion) and that is that all his characters speak with one voice (ie. they all sound the same). That being said, I don't think it's a bad read and just a bit of fun.

I did love the reaction to Kang and also was pretty damn grateful for the lack of a dragged out "getting the band back together" initial arc.

Batman25JM wrote:I forgot to mention before, but damn, Spider-Man's characterization is dead on in this issue. He's hilarious. I LOVED him wanting Clint to proclaim his identity. Bendis NEEDS to write some issues of Amazing Spider-Man.
Have to agree - Bendis certainly writes a very good Spider-Man.

282The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Mon May 24, 2010 1:20 pm

Heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

prescribeddrone wrote:Agreed Smile

There's 2 Cap's, 2 Hulks.. why not?
There are not 2 Captain Americas, and even when there were, there wasn't 2 Steve Rogerseseses.
Same thing with the Hulks.

Ben Reilly is a clone of Peter Parker. A clone. Like, from science. A science-clone... No, that wouldn't be ok.

I have to reiterate this; a science-clone of Peter Parker would not be OK in the 616 Universe.

No clones. None.

0 clones.

https://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

283The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Mon May 24, 2010 5:15 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Avengers #1

The first thing that I have to question here is something that will probably get me hated upon by a good portion of the fanboy universe. Why is John Romita Jr. such a celebrated artist? The ar tin this book including the cover is of questionable quality throughout most of the issue. I have to go back and look but has he always been this bad at drawing faces? There is just a bunch of inconsistency in the art quality. The first page with Steve Rodgers excellent art, the colors are brilliant, and there isn’t anything to gripe about. Turn the page to all of the face shots and you see a garbage pail kid collection of the new avengers teams members. Tigra, Hawkeye (female), Spider Woman, and Jessica (thankfully hidden by the fold in the page) are just hideous. Does Iron Man always look like he is sad now?

Moving on to the good part of the book. This story already looks to have potential. I haven’t read anything with Kang and Immortus since Avengers Forever (loved that story arc) and I am amped to see how this one will end. The beginning is enough to get anybody excited. The Next Avengers are taking down Immortus and Kang has come to the Avengers to prevent this from happening. Total Marty McFly moment when he tells the team that trouble is in the future from their kids. I half expected a Delorean to pull up with Doc Brown in the driver seat. That was just a great nerd-out moment.

Even thought this is clearly a reboot issue with the teams being formed and such it was a good read. This arc has potential, the art shot the score down on this one for me.

3.5 out of 5 Next Avengers

284The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:21 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Avengers #2

Man a lot of stuff happened in this issue.

I thought the issue was decent.

I'm still not loving JRJR's work, but some of it is okay.

I really like the addition of Noh-Varr.

Loved (what I assume to be) Spidey's line "It looks like he's paying too much for his car insurance".

It was cool to see the little shot of the MC2 universe.

Last edited by Batman25JM on Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

285The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:42 pm

KingJoffers

KingJoffers
Cadet
Cadet

Avengers #2

Ok I think its safe to say that Protector is kind of bad ass, in fact after reading this issue I think Bendis' Avengers is creeping up on bein bad ass. This really was the Avengers type issue I been wanting from Bendis ever since the first issue of Mighty Avengers when he finally managed to win me over. Anyway sooo much stuff happened in the issue with plenty of cool moments chief among them Iron Man offering to buy Noh a pony.And the last page reveal? Now THAT'S something I been definetly waiting on. Personally though, Wonderman brought the biggest smile on my face. I could look at that happening to Wolverine over and over again Laughing .

As far as art goes, he might not be everyone's cup but I love JRJR on this book. Everything feels so epic and larger than life. I mean the man is the perfect artist for a modern/classic Avengers story.

Overall this issue was fantastic and if they can keep the momentum goin Bendis an JRJR are on the verge of something great with this arc.

286The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:52 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I felt the art in #2 was better than #1 but not by much. Lots and lots of stuff happening. Not bad.

287The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:37 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Avengers #2

I liked this issue, but man Bendis was his own worst enemy here with all the jokes/one-liners. I generally think he's on point with his timing for that kinda stuff but this issue it seemed to really take away from the gravity of their situation IMO. I definitely get that you have to add some levity to intense situations, just thought there was too much of it this issue.

That said, I'm really enjoying where this story is going. Seeing all those potential futures was damn cool, I hope the Avengers get to confront some of them. The use of Wonder Man was great too and Noh-Varr was handled perfectly. I'm also really liking JRJR's art. He's just fitting the tone and action really well if you ask me. And that last page made geek out!

Also, maybe because it was Cap-centric and I'm a Cap fanboy (Laughing) but I freakin loved this week's Avengers Oral History chapter. Just a really great read.

288The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:42 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

It was good. I am probably going to wind up getting this in trade for sure.

289The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:55 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Avengers #2

I liked this issue, but man Bendis was his own worst enemy here with all the jokes/one-liners. I generally think he's on point with his timing for that kinda stuff but this issue it seemed to really take away from the gravity of their situation IMO. I definitely get that you have to add some levity to intense situations, just thought there was too much of it this issue.

That said, I'm really enjoying where this story is going. Seeing all those potential futures was damn cool, I hope the Avengers get to confront some of them. The use of Wonder Man was great too and Noh-Varr was handled perfectly. I'm also really liking JRJR's art. He's just fitting the tone and action really well if you ask me. And that last page made geek out!

Also, maybe because it was Cap-centric and I'm a Cap fanboy (Laughing) but I freakin loved this week's Avengers Oral History chapter. Just a really great read.

I completely agree about the jokes/one liners. Bendis is great at that stuff, but it was just too much this issue.

290The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:32 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Avengers #2

I really want to write a lengthy, descriptive review but I'm completely zonked. I've been working 60-70 hrs a week and just can't find the juice to muster. Regardless, I have to say I completely agree about the Bendis quipping. If not for that misadventure of poorly-timed jokes and silliness, this was an easy 4.5 out of 5 Bags&Boards review. Most comics, when getting bad reviews, are said to accomplish nothing--"not much happened in this issue" is the well-told line.

Well guess what? SO much happened. Maybe too much. No, kidding about that. This was a juicy book; as many have already told, there was Noh-Varr, Wonder Man, and the various time streamed futures Kang has gotten a hold of, including Next Avengers, etc.

I'm also torn about Bendis take on Iron Man. Understood as the Heroic Age, perhaps it's likely Tony's gotten some of that narcisstic fair back in his blood. Sure, Fraction and Bendis both write him completely differently, but perhaps his mellowed, cautious persona has been placed wayside. I don't know. It wasn't as big a deal as many of the questionably-timed jokes--and some were admittingly funny--during what's deemed some worldly-giganta situations and circumstances.

The art (okay so I guess this review is a little lengthy, after all) is perfect for this comic of assorted superheroes, imaginative celestial threats, and overall sense of oddball comraderie and urgency. I was one of the few who initially hated that JRJR was on here, that was until I went back and re-read World War Hulks and all of JMS' Spider-Man run. The guy can tell a story with pictures. It's not always the prettiest or the most accurate, but it's style and it's as Avengers as it can be.

4/5 - Take away much of poorly-timed bickering and this is one of the year's finest issues.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

291The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:39 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Avengers #2

This was a good issue. The art, as usual is atrocious. It pains me to see such good action and potentially wonderful scenes weiged down by such shoddy tossed together art. I won't bother to pay attention to this book as long as JRJR is on it. I feel a book like this is too far beyond his skill level.

292The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:28 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Avengers #2

Man, I am so with you on this. Just lately I have been starting to not enjoy Benidis's writing so much and this is one of the main reasons. It's like he's trying too hard. Also the stuttered speech he uses is starting to get aggravating. I get that when we talk in real life sentences don't come out perfectly and it can convey emotion but I think he's overusing it.

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:Avengers #2

This was a good issue. The art, as usual is atrocious. It pains me to see such good action and potentially wonderful scenes weiged down by such shoddy tossed together art. I won't bother to pay attention to this book as long as JRJR is on it. I feel a book like this is too far beyond his skill level.
And, man, I am so with YOU on this. And that is the exact word I was thinking of. Try as I might I just can't see any redeeming features to this art and what makes it worse for me is that I know JRJR can actually do better. It doesn't look remotely like his best work.

These comments are fairly critical but I don't mind the overall story itself and the air of mystery to what's going on. It's certainly got me interested but these other factors are taking away my enjoyment at the moment.

293The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:38 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Avengers #3

The timestream is broken and all hell is breaking loose. Really enjoying this arc so far and this issue picked up the action in a big way. Loved seeing Apocalypse and his Horsemen throwing down...interesting who the Horsemen were. Also have to say that Bendis was much better about the jokes/one-liners here compared to last issue. There was some Spidey gold in this: throwing up his hands saying, "That's it. There's entirely too many spider-people on this team." Laughing

And I think all the action this issue really showcased JRJR's talents. Not everyone may agree but I think he's doing some good work here.

294The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:33 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Agreed.

295The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:10 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/07/23/red-hulk-joins-avengers/

So....much...RAGE!

The Avengers Thread - Page 12 12777110

One thing did make me laugh:

"Though, the announcement may not have gone as well as the guys at Marvel expected. There was brief smattering of quiet applause in one of the largest rooms in the con, which led to something of an... awkward moment, to say the least."

Laughing Marvel, you stupid stupid numbnuts. Laughing

296The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:19 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^UGH. I do NOT like this news at all.

297The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:21 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I like that news, I like the character of Red Hulk. Having him on the team should make things interesting.

298The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:27 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Avengers #3

Also have to say that Bendis was much better about the jokes/one-liners here compared to last issue.

Have to disagree with you here. I think Bendis's "witty quips" are completely bogging this book down. I'm finding it almost oppressive in its dominance of the storytelling. And one of my problems with it is the characters on this team - this kind of dialogue seems to work better over on New Avengers (or it just seems smoother there) with the characters they've got and the interaction between them but here it just doesn't seem like this group would interact quite the same way (and, yes, I realise Spidey is a common denominator). On this book it all seems a bit forced.

And I'm still not enjoying the art on this book one bit. Overall I'd have to say I'm not really liking this book so far.

299The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:Avengers #3

Also have to say that Bendis was much better about the jokes/one-liners here compared to last issue.

Have to disagree with you here. I think Bendis's "witty quips" are completely bogging this book down. I'm finding it almost oppressive in its dominance of the storytelling. And one of my problems with it is the characters on this team - this kind of dialogue seems to work better over on New Avengers (or it just seems smoother there) with the characters they've got and the interaction between them but here it just doesn't seem like this group would interact quite the same way (and, yes, I realise Spidey is a common denominator). On this book it all seems a bit forced.

I could see that Aussie, just thought it was handled a bit better than last issue but yeah it was still a problem. I definitely agree that its hurting the story too, which is a shame because the arc has a lot of potential.

300The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Avengers Thread Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:13 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

prescribeddrone wrote:I like that news, I like the character of Red Hulk. Having him on the team should make things interesting.

It should be pretty interesting. Red Hulk has kinda grown on me over the last year, they've been characterizing him much better than his very early appearances.

Avengers #7 variant Wink

The Avengers Thread - Page 12 Avengers+7

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum