Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Batman No Man's Land

+5
tstrike99
LordD3r3k
rwe1138
BlueMaxx
shark6495
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Batman No Man's Land Empty Batman No Man's Land Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:35 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Hey Right now I am in the process of reading

Batman No Man's Land N150910

Review to come with in the next week..... There are some good ideas in here for a future Batman movie.....

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

2Batman No Man's Land Empty Re: Batman No Man's Land Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:26 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

At first I rolled my eyes at a novel retelling what a graphic novel already went through--but Greg Rucka? Hrm. I'll gladly wait for your review.

3Batman No Man's Land Empty Re: Batman No Man's Land Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:10 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

It's pretty good.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

4Batman No Man's Land Empty Re: Batman No Man's Land Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:16 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Batman: No Man’s Land by Greg Rucka is a gripping story that won’t let go from page one till page 430. Yes I just said 430 pages. Having not read the comic version of this story I had no idea what the story was about, but it made no difference as Rucka introduced the back story immediately detailing the earthquake and what happened after that. The book does some marvelous things from a story telling point of view. The main characters in the book are Jim Gordon, Two Face, Oracle/Barbara Gordon, Huntress, Batman, Penguin, Bane, Joker, and Nightwing. There are many other supporting characters but what sets the main characters apart is the mind set story telling. In the book there is not one but many points of view. Switching seamlessly in between chapters the same story is told over a course of a few chapters. From moments in the garden with Jim to flipping the coin with Dent the reader is immersed into the brain and thoughts of each character, well except for Batman. The reader is left in the dark, as much as the other characters, when it comes to Batman’s plan.
The book did not rely much on Batman history as it helped explain much throughout the story, thanks to Oracles dictations. The book only has 46 numbered chapters but every now and then there are entries created by Oracle. These helped with the passage of time and to fill in some gaps in the story. They also added some foreshadowing to the chapters following the entry. Again here with Oracle, Rucka used her to give the casual reader the details needed to understand the Batman myth.
Overall not being a big Batman fan, I picked up this book to read over the month of February, instead I finished it in three days, I just could not put it down. It did not matter that I only have a basic understanding of Batman (gained from cartoons and movies) as Rucka made sure Batman was a full fledged character that the reader hated and loved at the same time.
Spoiler:
Having never read a Rucka book I was surprised greatly. Each character was given an enormous amount of depth, leaving the reader with a basic understanding of why each character was doing his or her own actions. There were even a few points in the story that caused actual laughter or tears. This is a must read from a literary perspective.
Overall this story is a fantastic read and does not feel just like a novelalized version of a comic book. Batman: No Man’s Land is easily rated 9 out of ten.

5Batman No Man's Land Empty Re: Batman No Man's Land Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:03 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah, this novel actually got me back into reading Batman comics. It's good stuff.

6Batman No Man's Land Empty Re: Batman No Man's Land Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:45 am

tstrike99

tstrike99
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

This one has to be one of my all-time favorite Batman novels. The story is top notch, and Rucka makes you want more! It was an easy read even if you haven't read the comics. man, now I wanna go back and read it!

7Batman No Man's Land Empty Re: Batman No Man's Land Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:09 am

Scarie187

Scarie187
Cadet
Cadet

Read the books years ago it was pretty good and but with that said it's been a few years so I really don't remember to fine details. Still I do remember enjoying it.

8Batman No Man's Land Empty Re: Batman No Man's Land Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:37 am

superhyperhpp

superhyperhpp
Cadet
Cadet

re-read this last week. flew through it too. very hard to put down. this is what introduced me to greg rucka in the first place and ive become a big fan. his 2 queen and country books are quite good too.

9Batman No Man's Land Empty Re: Batman No Man's Land Thu May 20, 2010 8:19 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I just got this yesterday as an early birthday present. I'll probably start reading it this weekend. I can't wait.

10Batman No Man's Land Empty Re: Batman No Man's Land Thu May 20, 2010 8:57 pm

Combo Mo

Combo Mo
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I've read it a few times. It's one of my favorite novels.

11Batman No Man's Land Empty Re: Batman No Man's Land Thu May 20, 2010 11:33 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

yea once you start reading this book, it just flies by. Its sort of nice reading book where you already know the characters and do not need to be introduced to them....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum