Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

The official; Doctor who thread

+28
Nubbins
GigaToast
Frank M. Reding
WonderWoman2.0
pumkinheadfan
Sapphire Gypsy
Juggalojohn
TheeDoctorWhoHasDreads?
ChrisToPhenom
MikeSabian
Foreigner_Man
melvinlikechris
Denim
Que
comicgeekelly
elijahdprophet
Joshua
TheUnalteredOne
BlueMaxx
Ska
supervenom
jaydee74
FroZen
Justin
Jherek
Silent K
superdoug
shining knight
32 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 26 ... 42  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 42]

251The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:08 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Jherek wrote:Gut reaction. No. On the other hand it might not be so bad as long as they don't, as you say, over homogenize it. I wonder if it'll carry on from Children of Earth or bypass it. It might be neat for Doctor Who to have an American cousin show.

Over at television without pity they have a great article (which is the link) about the pros and cons of this move. I enjoyed reading most of the comments, but this one really stood out for me:

Stupid question, but why do a remake or strip out things like the Doctor Who connection?

Just do a straight out spinoff. You're going to have some character in the pilot who acts as a proxy for the audience and needs to have the background explained, so just explain that Queen Victoria was attacked by a werewolf, rescued by an alien traveller, and decided form an organization to keep that sort of thing from happening. Then come up with some plausible reason for there being an American version (in the 1890's Torchwood was involved in a mission in the U.S. which led to an Anglo-American cooperateive effort until Teddy Roosevelt, who didn't want the U.S. to play second fiddle to the British Empire, spun off the U.S. version in the early 1900's (which would explain why it never got mention in the British series)).

With the exception of the Cyberwoman episode, the hand in the jar, and Martha's visit, Torchwood was pretty much isolated from Doctor Who, so you could have a U.S. series with even more oblique references that would make the fans squee but wouldn't bother newbies if they didn't get them. You could also have the events of CoE still haunting Captain Jack (if he's in it); the fans would know and appreciate the enrichment of the character, and the newbies would have a character with a mysterious past, and God knows there are plenty of those on TV.

Of course, that makes perfect sense, so there's no way FOX will go for it. They were the ones that attempted to resurrect an American Doctor, after all.....

252The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:15 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

superdoug wrote:
Jherek wrote:Gut reaction. No. On the other hand it might not be so bad as long as they don't, as you say, over homogenize it. I wonder if it'll carry on from Children of Earth or bypass it. It might be neat for Doctor Who to have an American cousin show.

Over at television without pity they have a great article (which is the link) about the pros and cons of this move. I enjoyed reading most of the comments, but this one really stood out for me:

Stupid question, but why do a remake or strip out things like the Doctor Who connection?

Just do a straight out spinoff. You're going to have some character in the pilot who acts as a proxy for the audience and needs to have the background explained, so just explain that Queen Victoria was attacked by a werewolf, rescued by an alien traveller, and decided form an organization to keep that sort of thing from happening. Then come up with some plausible reason for there being an American version (in the 1890's Torchwood was involved in a mission in the U.S. which led to an Anglo-American cooperateive effort until Teddy Roosevelt, who didn't want the U.S. to play second fiddle to the British Empire, spun off the U.S. version in the early 1900's (which would explain why it never got mention in the British series)).

With the exception of the Cyberwoman episode, the hand in the jar, and Martha's visit, Torchwood was pretty much isolated from Doctor Who, so you could have a U.S. series with even more oblique references that would make the fans squee but wouldn't bother newbies if they didn't get them. You could also have the events of CoE still haunting Captain Jack (if he's in it); the fans would know and appreciate the enrichment of the character, and the newbies would have a character with a mysterious past, and God knows there are plenty of those on TV.

Of course, that makes perfect sense, so there's no way FOX will go for it.
They were the ones that attempted to resurrect an American Doctor, after all.....
QFT

What'll more likely happen is a piss poor attempt at a Sci Fi show that'll get cancelled after two seasons. This is RTD's attempt to crack America? He needs to rethink.

253The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:36 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm looking forward to the American Torchwood. Being optimistic here, but I think this could be a very good show.

254The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:38 am

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I don't know....

255The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:32 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shining knight wrote:yeah....

on a tangetically related note there is a cut scene from end of time part 2 where Addams asks the doctor if he is human

"no....I mean I was half human in 1999 for a few days...."

I had heard that. It would have been a funny throwaway line.

As for the supposed American Torchwood. I'm not behind it totally. I fear any show that's a niche as Torchwood going on Fox. They had such a bad track record for not doing justice to these kinds of shows. Look at Dollhouse, Drive, Firefly and I am sure other shows that I just can't think of at the moment.

256The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:09 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Love this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzXotzG-6Oo

257The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:14 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

comicgeekelly wrote:Love this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzXotzG-6Oo

Great song but they could have used more female companions than that.

258The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:14 pm

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

*in timothy dalton rassilon voice*

and so it came to pass on the night of burns (robert not montgomery) did David page finally go totally insane after listening to wayyyyyy too many popcasts for clip hunting

and thus did he begin to practice speaking like rassilon for a skit for the popcast....

259The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:39 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shining knight wrote:*in timothy dalton rassilon voice*

and so it came to pass on the night of burns (robert not montgomery) did David page finally go totally insane after listening to wayyyyyy too many popcasts for clip hunting

and thus did he begin to practice speaking like rassilon for a skit for the popcast....

I am jazzed for this.

260The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:33 am

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I did it for a voicemail oh man its the worst dalton impression ever Laughing

I call out sir sean and everything Laughing

261The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:26 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

NOOOOOO!!

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/doctor_who.html

A US version of Doctor Who spin-off Torchwood is being developed for the Fox network by BBC Worldwide Productions, with series creator Russell T Davies writing the script.

The Hollywood Reporter says the original producing team is on board, with Davies joined by Julie Gardner and Jane Tranter.

It adds that "some of the current cast - most likely John Barrowman, who plays the immortal Captain Jack Harkness - might star." How exactly this would fit in with the UK version of the show isn't clear at present.

The American version will apparently have more of a global feel to its storylines than the British show - although last year's massively successful Torchwood miniseries Children of Earth did have a worldwide scale.

Meanwhile, The Hollywood Reporter adds that "Tranter might try to reboot Doctor Who for US audiences."

262The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:27 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jaydee74 wrote:NOOOOOO!!

A US version of Doctor Who spin-off Torchwood is being developed for the Fox network by BBC Worldwide Productions, with series creator Russell T Davies writing the script.

The Hollywood Reporter says the original producing team is on board, with Davies joined by Julie Gardner and Jane Tranter.

It adds that "some of the current cast - most likely John Barrowman, who plays the immortal Captain Jack Harkness - might star." How exactly this would fit in with the UK version of the show isn't clear at present.

The American version will apparently have more of a global feel to its storylines than the British show - although last year's massively successful Torchwood miniseries Children of Earth did have a worldwide scale.

Meanwhile, The Hollywood Reporter adds that "Tranter might try to reboot Doctor Who for US audiences."

263The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:52 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Um...slow, much?

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com/cinema-and-tv-f7/the-official-doctor-who-thread-t299-240.htm#98711

Wink Wink Wink

264The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:38 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

Also...The Coventry Telegraph?!? Not exactly cutting edge media Jaydee old chum. Still I'll let you off as it's your birthday week. The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 29517 The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 334450

265The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:56 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

From The BBC Doctor Who website.

Doctor Who scored an incredible double-victory at last night's prestigious National Television Awards. David Tennant scooped the award for Outstanding Drama Performance for his portrayal of the Doctor and for a staggering fifth year in succession, Doctor Who triumphed in the coveted Most Popular Drama category.
Doctor Who's success means it has won the award every year since its return in 2005 and David Tennant's win ensured he has claimed the Outstanding Drama Performance for the fourth year running. David's final appearance as the Time Lord came in The End of Time, Part Two where almost 11 million viewers saw him regenerate into the Eleventh Doctor, Matt Smith.
Bernard Cribbins, who played Wilfred Mott in recent series, collected Doctor Who's award and whilst pointing at David Tennant he declared, 'This is absolutely wonderful and I know how pleased he must be as he's been at it for four years... I think everybody who gets involved will be just as pleased as him, and I know that he will want to pay tribute to the team down in Wales.'

266The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:00 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

superdoug wrote:

Um...slow, much?

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com/cinema-and-tv-f7/the-official-doctor-who-thread-t299-240.htm#98711

Wink Wink Wink
I actually meant to just show the portion where it was stated that there might be an American Doctor Who as well.

267The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:01 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Jherek wrote:From The BBC Doctor Who website.

Doctor Who scored an incredible double-victory at last night's prestigious National Television Awards. David Tennant scooped the award for Outstanding Drama Performance for his portrayal of the Doctor and for a staggering fifth year in succession, Doctor Who triumphed in the coveted Most Popular Drama category.
Doctor Who's success means it has won the award every year since its return in 2005 and David Tennant's win ensured he has claimed the Outstanding Drama Performance for the fourth year running. David's final appearance as the Time Lord came in The End of Time, Part Two where almost 11 million viewers saw him regenerate into the Eleventh Doctor, Matt Smith.
Bernard Cribbins, who played Wilfred Mott in recent series, collected Doctor Who's award and whilst pointing at David Tennant he declared, 'This is absolutely wonderful and I know how pleased he must be as he's been at it for four years... I think everybody who gets involved will be just as pleased as him, and I know that he will want to pay tribute to the team down in Wales.'

Awesome.

268The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:45 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

So I don't think it'll ever happen but if you had to cast an American actor as the Doctor...who would you go for?

269The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:47 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Jherek wrote:So I don't think it'll ever happen but if you had to cast an American actor as the Doctor...who would you go for?

An American Doctor? Oh good lord! I have no idea. I'll have to think about that for a moment. I'll get back to you on that one. That's a tough one though. Yikes.

270The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:16 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I really don't see any current American actors who could pull off the role and make it work.

271The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:05 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The more I thought about this the less convinced I think an American actor could pull off this kind of role.

272The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:29 am

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

err no american doctor who please....

its bad enough finding out nelvana had an animated series planned in the 90s...

273The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:41 pm

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

It's just an imaginary exercise but I agree, the Doctor is such a British icon (even though he's an alien) I can't imagine an American taking the role. Having said that, and again just for fun what about..

Kelsey Grammer (Frasier) just quirky and irascible enough to be a kind of stateside Hartnell type.

Hugh Laurie (cheating a bit but he's an honorary American now right? and he's used to playing a doctor The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 29517 )

Christopher Lloyd (bit of a cliche after Back to the Future but at least the American public would accept the narative shorthand of him as a time traveller)

James Callis (Baltar from BSG) another Brit actor adopted by the US

James Marsters he's already been in Torchwood so there's a connection.

whaddya think?

274The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:17 am

Foreigner_Man

Foreigner_Man
Ninja
Ninja

Jason Statham. He could give Pertwee's fighting skills a run for their money.

275The official; Doctor who thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The official; Doctor who thread Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:40 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I was watching The Complete Fourth Series DVD last night and there was an interesting deleted scene. In the scene (which was taken out of the end of the 13th episode) the Doctor gives the Alternate Universe Doctor a chunk of the TARDIS so that he can grow his own and have his own adventures with Rose. RTD said that he would like to think that that still happened. Any chance that we might see David Tennant and Billie Piper return in the new series for an arc as Alternate Universe Doctor and Rose? It could happen and I hope it does.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 42]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 26 ... 42  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum