Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Remember Me

+14
Bigtymin504
FroZen
LordD3r3k
Tom
jaydee74
Joshua
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
comicgeekelly
supervenom
Thundermatts
ChrisToPhenom
BlueMaxx
Debaser77
Mnemosis
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:41 am

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

Mnemosis wrote:

I honestly think, had I gone to see it, I'd have been less shocked had he turned into and been murdered by a Predator.

Or eaten by a T-Rex. Wink

27Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:14 am

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

HAHAHA! I smell a 6-Pack coming on! Most unexpected endings!

28Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:13 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thundermatts wrote:What the fuck? How far you go with it? lol, if people seriously feel offended by a movie showing an airplane (and I didn't even expect them toshot it hit, just to show it coming) they need to grow up. I just watched the first part of The Pacific last night. A mini series based on WWII (as are many films and shows before it) and it held nothing back. People being shot and killed, blown up, and losing body parts. I've yet to hear one person complain of "taking it to far" But having a movie allude to (not even show apparently) the fact that 9-11 happened is too much? This world makes me laugh and cry at the same time. History is made in film fictional and otherwise these days. Deal with it.

I'm not offended, but I'll try to make an arguement for those that would be. You went into The Pacific expecting a war TV show. Most people going to Remember Me don't expect anything 9/11 related. Also WWII was decades ago, not many people that are watching The Pacific lived through WWII. Everyone who will see Remember Me lived through 9/11 and probably remembers it well and might even know someone who was killed in the attack.

29Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:18 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Maybe I'm just insensitive, but I don't see how putting something that actually happened is offensive, unless it's done in a blatantly exploitive manner.

30Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:32 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Mnemosis wrote:I didn't see the film, nor did I intend to, but I just read a bit about it. MAJOR SPOILERS

Spoiler:

Now, that COULD be a really powerful way to have ended a really great movie. Honestly though? I'm not thinking this movie lives up to that moment, and personally, it kind of sickens me. Anyone else?

Wait. Is that for real? Is that a part of this movie? If true, whatever.

ChrisToPhenom wrote:Ha! Just this second, I was going to post this thread and discuss the ending and (again) just when I think no one would care-I'm wrong! Laughing

Yeah, I Googled the ending and even Spill.Com was pissed about it...they mostly gave a "F-ck You!" than "Some Ol' Bullshit!"

http://www.spill.com/Movie-Reviews/MovieReview.aspx?Name=Remember%20Me&VideoId=491428
lmao

Mnemosis wrote:
Spoiler:
Hell Yeah it would have.

31Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:49 am

Tom

Tom
Ninja
Ninja

Mnemosis wrote:I refuse to believe this movie is good enough to warrant that ending. Period.

I refuse to believe that this movie (no matter good or bad) warrants having its own thread. shake my head

32Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:35 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

comicgeekelly wrote:I'm not offended, but I'll try to make an arguement for those that would be. You went into The Pacific expecting a war TV show. Most people going to Remember Me don't expect anything 9/11 related. Also WWII was decades ago, not many people that are watching The Pacific lived through WWII. Everyone who will see Remember Me lived through 9/11 and probably remembers it well and might even know someone who was killed in the attack.

That's a good point. I'm not necessarily offended either, but there's a difference between those war movies and this. Like you said, the key difference is that war movies are actual accounts of the war. This really has nothing to do with 9/11 other than the ending. They're basically using 9/11 as a plot device to kill their main character, and that is what's kind of offensive.

33Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:46 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

^ This. A bus could have hit him. They specifically USED this.

34Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:47 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

But without seeing the movie first you're just shooting from the hip. Maybe it is crass and exploitative but maybe it works in the context of the movie. Apparently there's a scene in the movie Precious where the titular character steals a bucket of fried chicken. Taken out of context that could be interpreted as racist commentary, but judging by the people making the movie and the accolades its received I'm going to assume it's not a KKK propaganda film. It seems a bit premature to play the offended card without even seeing the movie.

35Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:48 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:But without seeing the movie first you're just shooting from the hip. Maybe it is crass and exploitative but maybe it works in the context of the movie. Apparently there's a scene in the movie Precious where the titular character steals a bucket of fried chicken. Taken out of context that could be interpreted as racist commentary, but judging by the people making the movie and the accolades its received I'm going to assume it's not a KKK propaganda film. It seems a bit premature to play the offended card without even seeing the movie.

Maybe not the best comparison, but I do understand what you're saying. Again, I'm not necessarily offended, but it just sounds cheap.

36Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:47 am

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
comicgeekelly wrote:I'm not offended, but I'll try to make an arguement for those that would be. You went into The Pacific expecting a war TV show. Most people going to Remember Me don't expect anything 9/11 related. Also WWII was decades ago, not many people that are watching The Pacific lived through WWII. Everyone who will see Remember Me lived through 9/11 and probably remembers it well and might even know someone who was killed in the attack.

That's a good point. I'm not necessarily offended either, but there's a difference between those war movies and this. Like you said, the key difference is that war movies are actual accounts of the war. This really has nothing to do with 9/11 other than the ending. They're basically using 9/11 as a plot device to kill their main character, and that is what's kind of offensive.

Newsflash: People died in 9-11. A movie doesn't have to be completely ablut 9-11 if it chooses to reference it, or feature it in some way. The movie is about people, and one of them happens to die in the 9-11 attacks. He was a normal guy (well, you know, a fake normal guy) who lost his life in the biggest modern American tragedy, as many (real) people did. The only people who could possibly be offended, are the people that are starting to become the majority, who feel if they aren't offended by something, they aren't living their lives right.

37Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:38 pm

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I could honestly careless about this movie but
Spoiler:

38Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:27 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thundermatts wrote:Newsflash: People died in 9-11. A movie doesn't have to be completely ablut 9-11 if it chooses to reference it, or feature it in some way. The movie is about people, and one of them happens to die in the 9-11 attacks. He was a normal guy (well, you know, a fake normal guy) who lost his life in the biggest modern American tragedy, as many (real) people did. The only people who could possibly be offended, are the people that are starting to become the majority, who feel if they aren't offended by something, they aren't living their lives right.

Look, I'm not saying *I* care, but if someone complained about this particular plot point, I wouldn't necessarily disagree with them.

The sad thing is, this'll probably get more comments than the actual story itself.

39Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:42 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
Thundermatts wrote:Newsflash: People died in 9-11. A movie doesn't have to be completely ablut 9-11 if it chooses to reference it, or feature it in some way. The movie is about people, and one of them happens to die in the 9-11 attacks. He was a normal guy (well, you know, a fake normal guy) who lost his life in the biggest modern American tragedy, as many (real) people did. The only people who could possibly be offended, are the people that are starting to become the majority, who feel if they aren't offended by something, they aren't living their lives right.

Look, I'm not saying *I* care, but if someone complained about this particular plot point, I wouldn't necessarily disagree with them.

The sad thing is, this'll probably get more comments than the actual story itself.
Yeah I hear you, you're just playing devil's advocate. I don't find it offensive either but maybe its just one of those deals where its "too soon". I could see why some people might think its slightly offensive.

40Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:53 am

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Too soon? It happened nearly a decade ago. What's the statute of limitations on making movies based on events where people died?

41Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:51 am

TENIME_art

TENIME_art
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:Maybe I'm just insensitive, but I don't see how putting something that actually happened is offensive, unless it's done in a blatantly exploitive manner.

^This.

FroZen wrote:
Spoiler:

surprised Scandalous!!

42Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:55 am

Debaser77

Debaser77

There's nothing wrong with referencing 9/11, but shoehorning it at the end of a stupid tearjerker romance movie is pretty damn low. I'm not offended as much as I'm just insulted that the screenwriter wrote such a manipulative ending.

43Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:57 am

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Debaser77 wrote:There's nothing wrong with referencing 9/11, but shoehorning it at the end of a stupid tearjerker romance movie is pretty damn low. I'm not offended as much as I'm just insulted that the screenwriter wrote such a manipulative ending.
And again, without actually seeing it in the context of the movie I don't think we can judge it one way or the other. As I already said, it could totally be a vulgar and insulting exploitation, but it's a bit naive and ignorant to label it as such without actually watching the movie.

44Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:34 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, but nothing I've seen or read of it disproves my theory.

45Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:56 pm

deadbolt85

deadbolt85
Ninja
Ninja

Joshua wrote:
Debaser77 wrote:There's nothing wrong with referencing 9/11, but shoehorning it at the end of a stupid tearjerker romance movie is pretty damn low. I'm not offended as much as I'm just insulted that the screenwriter wrote such a manipulative ending.
And again, without actually seeing it in the context of the movie I don't think we can judge it one way or the other. As I already said, it could totally be a vulgar and insulting exploitation, but it's a bit naive and ignorant to label it as such without actually watching the movie.
Well , seeing as no one here wants to see it, why not be a trooper and take one for the team? Go see it and let us know.

46Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fuck that.

I'm not advocating watching the movie, I'm merely saying it's a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to declare something in bad taste when you haven't watched it. Whether or not the ending is exploitive I can't say, but I can say that the movie holds absolutely no appeal for me.

47Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:08 pm

deadbolt85

deadbolt85
Ninja
Ninja

lol! I thought as much. No worries.Personally I'm not offend, but I see how some could be.
If they wanted to kill Pattinson at the end for dramatic impact, they could have hit him with a car, or had him get killed during a robbery, or killed by a bear at the zoo. Instead they went the way they did, which seems like a cheap, tasteless way of forcing emotion out of audiences.

Last edited by deadbolt85 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Posting was incomplete.)

48Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

In the original (awesome) Script, his brother was killed in the world trade center bombings in 93 or whatever. They spoke of it a few times, calling it the WTC attacks, and you assumed they meant 9-11. The big twist was they didn't, and then the main character is killed in those. It actually read very well. They changed it to his brother killing himself apparently. Tho I've heard you can see the two towers at various points in the movie, and if you can add ten to 1991, you can figure out what's going to happen pretty easily. So it's not sudden, and it's not cheap. Again, people died suddenly that day. They weren't warned about it, why should the audience be?

49Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:33 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^^^ People will go to this movie expecting a romance movie, not something that relies on a major event in which a lot of people died as a plot point.

50Remember Me - Page 2 Empty Re: Remember Me Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:53 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

People would eat it up if it was directed by M. Night Shymalan. Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum