Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Second Annual PoP!toberFest Halloween Extravaganza!

+42
dylanlukebillijo
AKA Brandon
MikeSabian
krpykrwly
Big Poppa Nick
dmahoney
Spazzy
Demonweasel
The Ignored One
Sapphire Gypsy
BlueMaxx
MillionDollarGeek
grneyedsngr
Justin
Spaced4SimonPegg
darth__frodo
Captain Painway
TheeDoctorWhoHasDreads?
potatojoe
Lee
Heytherejeffro
G_Zatara
Thundermatts
shark6495
elijahdprophet
WonderWoman2.0
goatt
JessJupiter
Hannibal king
GigaToast
TENIME_art
prescribeddrone
Kearstin
Rath99
Joshua
Chi-Town Spidey
Foxy
Gojiratoho
kerryart
Ska
Mnemosis
Silent K
46 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 40]

GigaToast

GigaToast
Ninja
Ninja

oh man. if I have the funds come Oct. I might just be down for this. I LOVE me some Disney! My wife and I went to Disneyland for our honeymoon and I was ready to go back as soon as we got home.

Some of my Disney love:

The Second Annual PoP!toberFest Halloween Extravaganza! - Page 3 Disney11

The Second Annual PoP!toberFest Halloween Extravaganza! - Page 3 Disney12

The Second Annual PoP!toberFest Halloween Extravaganza! - Page 3 Disney13

The Second Annual PoP!toberFest Halloween Extravaganza! - Page 3 Disney14

The Second Annual PoP!toberFest Halloween Extravaganza! - Page 3 Disney15

The Second Annual PoP!toberFest Halloween Extravaganza! - Page 3 Disney16

The Second Annual PoP!toberFest Halloween Extravaganza! - Page 3 Disney17

I would sweep trash at Disneyworld if it meant I could go there every day.

http://www.gigatoast.deviantart.com

TENIME_art

TENIME_art
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ah, Disney getting credit for Pixar's and Miyazaki's work. Love it. Rolling Eyes

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

They should, they own the distribution rights to Studio Ghibli and flat out own Pixar, though it operates independently of the the Mouse.

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

GigaToast wrote:
surprised

Last year at Wizard World Chicago there was a dealer that had lot of animation cels for sale, but the thing that really caught my eye was a photograph of Walt and Lillian framed with a rough sketch of Mickey Mouse signed by Disney. I got chills just standing next to it.

My dream is to find this picture:
The Second Annual PoP!toberFest Halloween Extravaganza! - Page 3 Walt-and-Ub-web

That's easily my favorite picture of Walt and Ub. I would love to have a copy of that framed and mounted.

TENIME_art

TENIME_art
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Gojiratoho wrote:They should, they own the distribution rights to Studio Ghibli and flat out own Pixar, though it operates independently of the the Mouse.

It's not their work, though. So, no, they shouldn't.

GigaToast

GigaToast
Ninja
Ninja

Joshua wrote:
GigaToast wrote:
surprised

Last year at Wizard World Chicago there was a dealer that had lot of animation cels for sale, but the thing that really caught my eye was a photograph of Walt and Lillian framed with a rough sketch of Mickey Mouse signed by Disney. I got chills just standing next to it.

My dream is to find this picture:
The Second Annual PoP!toberFest Halloween Extravaganza! - Page 3 Walt-and-Ub-web

That's easily my favorite picture of Walt and Ub. I would love to have a copy of that framed and mounted.

Ahhhh, PJ! He's easily one of my favorite Disney villains! Robin Hood is so under appreciated! lol I wish it was an original drawing from the movie but alas it's from one of the stores at Disneyland. I got to pick out the picture and see the guy draw it though!

WOW! I would've LOVED to have seen that Mickey drawing! I'll bet it was crazy expensive!!

That is a great pic of Walt & Ub. There is a book called "The Hand Behind the Mouse" about Ub Iwerks. Have you ever read it? Bud's Art Books has it on clearance for like $6.50. I've been tempted to pick it up for a while now.

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Maybe not credit for the actual production of the movie, but they definitely deserve credit for localizing and bringing Studio Ghibli films stateside. If it wasn't for Disney (or more specifically, John Lasseter), there's a good chance Miyazaki's work wouldn't even be readily accessible here.

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

GigaToast wrote:
That is a great pic of Walt & Ub. There is a book called "The Hand Behind the Mouse" about Ub Iwerks. Have you ever read it? Bud's Art Books has it on clearance for like $6.50. I've been tempted to pick it up for a while now.
I have it and I love it. I found it cheap at a used book store a year or two ago. I've been a big Iwerks fan ever since the fourth grade when I did a biography report on Walt Disney.

Have you read Neal Gabler's amazing biography of Walt Disney? It's a must-read.
http://www.amazon.com/Walt-Disney-Triumph-American-Imagination/dp/0679757473/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269616876&sr=1-1

GigaToast

GigaToast
Ninja
Ninja

^ No I haven't read it yet but I've seen it at Borders a few times. I'll have to check it out! maybe I'll pick it up and read it on the plane ride up to Chicago...... Smile

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

TENIME_art wrote:
Gojiratoho wrote:They should, they own the distribution rights to Studio Ghibli and flat out own Pixar, though it operates independently of the the Mouse.

It's not their work, though. So, no, they shouldn't.

They don't market it as their own work (hence the repeated references to "Studio Ghibli's X" or "Pixar's X" in all marketing) but they own the rights to distribute and market it. This includes product based off of the properties (which I'm sure Ghibli and Pixar get a cut of as part of the deal....maybe not Pixar since they are owned by Disney)

Joshua wrote:Maybe not credit for the actual production of the movie, but they definitely deserve credit for localizing and bringing Studio Ghibli films stateside. If it wasn't for Disney (or more specifically, John Lasseter), there's a good chance Miyazaki's work wouldn't even be readily accessible here.

Truth. I loved loved LOVED Warriors of the Wind when I was a kid. I watched our VHS copy I taped off of HBO so much the magnetics of the cassette wore out. Then I got my hands on Naussica and realized what a hack job they did on Warriors....though I do miss that voice cast.

TENIME_art

TENIME_art
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Princess Mononoke (which even was in theaters) didn't have a problem getting over here without their help.

And, no, they don't take credit for them, but everyone gives them credit for them.

Like how everyone says that Tim Burton directed Nightmare Before Christmas. It's his story & characters, but he didn't write it, nor did he direct it.

I wouldn't want someone else being given credit for my hard work. Actually, that's already happened a few times.

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

TENIME_art wrote:
I wouldn't want someone else being given credit for my hard work. Actually, that's already happened a few times.

I know, I totally hate when people refer to me as "the bald guy in a suit" cosplayer. I'm like "Nope, that's Chris" Laughing I love you

by the by, check yer fuggin Facebook pally, Pete and I are makin' plans.

TENIME_art

TENIME_art
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

lmao

I saw!! I'm in!!

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

Kearstin wrote:4cereal1?

Yes. 4cereal.

The Second Annual PoP!toberFest Halloween Extravaganza! - Page 3 174

Wipe yer feet, ya bunghole.

Joshua wrote:
As for the Harry Potter park, I'd probably be more into it if they didn't just convert older rides to fit the Hogwarts theme. The park has potential, but right now it just feels sort of like that 30-year old dinosaur exhibit at the museum that's had a Jurassic Park theme tacked on.

That's only true in some cases (the dragon coaster, the kiddie coaster), but they've done some serious work to make this place legit. There's a tour of Hogwarts with the moving staircases and portraits, and an as yet unnamed ride akin to Spider-Man that takes you into a Quidditch game.

TENIME_art wrote:I am in, kind sir, if you'll have me.

Though, someone else can ride in the wheelchair this time. tongue

I want to hit Harry Potter World & the Saw haunted house, definitely, so I'm in for Universal, too. Though, in order to do both, I'll have to start saving sooner than the paycheck before flying down.

Laughing

The houses change every year...and I would probably advise AGAINST Halloween Horror Nights because of the crowds...but if we're already buying day passes, it's only a few bucks more to stay for HHN.

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

In any case where Disney (including via Miramax, who distributed Princess Mononoke) did not distribute Ghibli films domestically, there was still an American distributor who did so (like Fox in the case of Totoro). Regardless of whether or not it was Disney, a third-party is still responsible for bringing the movies over and without them they'd still be unavailable or wouldn't be as widely accessible. It just happens that Disney has done the bulk of them. And maybe I'm just misinformed, but were any of Miyazaki's movies given wide releases prior to Spirited Away? Disney has done a good job of delivering his movies to people who otherwise would never have heard of them.

As for giving credit where credit is due, I absolutely agree with you Chris, but unfortunately there will always be people who don't do their own research and will often be misinformed, as is the case with Nightmare Before Christmas and even Coraline. People see that Coraline is advertised as "By the director of Nightmare Before Christmas" and automatically assume it's Burton. However, you should never lay the blame at the people who undeservedly receive the credit, it should always be aimed at the ignorant people who make the assumption. Also, I think Disney deserves credit for doing some marvelous dubs.

Ska

Ska
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:In any case where Disney (including via Miramax, who distributed Princess Mononoke) did not distribute Ghibli films domestically, there was still an American distributor who did so (like Fox in the case of Totoro). Regardless of whether or not it was Disney, a third-party is still responsible for bringing the movies over and without them they'd still be unavailable or wouldn't be as widely accessible. It just happens that Disney has done the bulk of them. And maybe I'm just misinformed, but were any of Miyazaki's movies given wide releases prior to Spirited Away? Disney has done a good job of delivering his movies to people who otherwise would never have heard of them.

As for giving credit where credit is due, I absolutely agree with you Chris, but unfortunately there will always be people who don't do their own research and will often be misinformed, as is the case with Nightmare Before Christmas and even Coraline. People see that Coraline is advertised as "By the director of Nightmare Before Christmas" and automatically assume it's Burton. However, you should never lay the blame at the people who undeservedly receive the credit, it should always be aimed at the ignorant people who make the assumption. Also, I think Disney deserves credit for doing some marvelous dubs.

I say Joshua wins this round. He's absolutley right- Miyazaki's movies wouldn't be as widely known in America if it weren't for Disney. I think they do a wonderful job with the dubbing on his films as well. Could you imagine if an anime company here like Funimation picked up his movies and used the same 5 people they use for dubbing in everything? It would be awful. I think Disney did us a favor with bringing these awesome films to the US. I would rather have a nice 2 disc special edition with Disney's name on it than some crappy bootleg copy of something on my computer. Ponyo never would've been on the big screen if it weren't for the success from Spirited Away, brought to you by Disney.

http://www.myspace.com/kristinellenamarie

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

Sorry to interrupt...can you guys point me to the Second Annual PoP!toberFest Thread?

K Thanx.

Ska

Ska
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Oh right. If we're going to Disney, CAN WE GO TO THIS?!?!

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/epcot/attractions/japan-pavilion/

http://www.myspace.com/kristinellenamarie

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

Ugh...EPCOT can be such a SNORE.

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

But...I'm at the whim of the group. I've been to all these places, so...

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

One thing that's an option for anyone who doesn't want to be tied to the Magic Kingdom is a park hopper pass. I wouldn't do one, simply because I think it's too much stuff to cram in one day, but if, I'll use Ska as an example, you really wanted to do something at another park, such as Japan at EPCOT, it's an option.

Of course, it's still far enough away that maybe I won't be strapped for cash and can arrive a day early and if anyone else is interested, maybe do a day at EPCOT and a day at the Magic Kingdom. With it not being for another seven months away, there's no reason to set things in concrete, as plans will most likely change anyway.

EPCOT is definitely the least "theme park" of the parks, it's more like an educational experience. Very few rides, but tons of learning. It should definitely be done first so as not to seem quite as dry in comparison to the MK. Futureworld is fun, but the World Showcase is almost entirely shopping, restaurants, and that fucking awful Circlevision. Maelstrom is pretty badass though, even if it is short.

Last edited by Joshua on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

So what's the rough game plan, Disney one day, Halloween party the next night, mad-capped hijinx and shenanigans during the time inbetween? Is there going to be more than one day at Disney to accommodate multiple park visits?

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

Gojiratoho wrote:So what's the rough game plan, Disney one day, Halloween party the next night, mad-capped hijinx and shenanigans during the time inbetween? Is there going to be more than one day at Disney to accommodate multiple park visits?

Possibly...and more than likely a day at Universal.

Foxy

Foxy
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

If by some miracle I have the money I'd love to do a day of Epcot, too. I didn't get to go during my last trip and I'd like to experience it as an adult.

Whenever we're doing MK can it be on a day when they do Wishes? pleeease?

http://www.foxyart.net

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

Wishes?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 40]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum