Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Batwoman Series Announced

+3
Heytherejeffro
Batman25JM
G_Zatara
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Batwoman Series Announced Empty Batwoman Series Announced Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:17 am

G_Zatara

G_Zatara
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/Williams-Batwoman-Ongoing-100414.html

Well, this IS a surprise. Good job DC.

2Batwoman Series Announced Empty Re: Batwoman Series Announced Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:13 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Can JH Williams III write? Has he ever written anything before?

I don't know if I'm going to get this. I'm not a fan of JH's painted art. I may just trade wait, I don't know.

3Batwoman Series Announced Empty Re: Batwoman Series Announced Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:29 pm

Heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

OK, so I met him in Boston this weekend, and this would be the "I can't say what's coming, but it's pretty cool" that he was saying.
I saw some of his originals, and I have to say that I was absolutely blown away. This guy is incredible. I haven't read one book he's done, but on the art aspect alone I am amazed.

https://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

4Batwoman Series Announced Empty Re: Batwoman Series Announced Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:47 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Sounds cool. Not interested in books with a backup though.

5Batwoman Series Announced Empty Re: Batwoman Series Announced Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:14 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Heytherejeffro wrote:OK, so I met him in Boston this weekend, and this would be the "I can't say what's coming, but it's pretty cool" that he was saying.
I saw some of his originals, and I have to say that I was absolutely blown away. This guy is incredible. I haven't read one book he's done, but on the art aspect alone I am amazed.
Lucky! J.H. Williams is one of the best artists in comics right now.

I'll still consider getting the series. This was a surprise, though I'm sure he got the okay from Rucka, being that they're friends. At least, I think they are.

6Batwoman Series Announced Empty Re: Batwoman Series Announced Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:53 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I am absolutely getting this - at the very least I'm ecstatic that Williams's art will still be on Batwoman. I hope Williams can continue the tone that Rucka set up - the art and writing seemed to work so well together on this book I've got to think Williams had a lot of input anyway. And I looooooove Amy Reeder Hadley's art (just hope this doesn't mean she's lost to Madame Xanadu for too long).

7Batwoman Series Announced Empty Re: Batwoman Series Announced Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:43 pm

Spazzy

Spazzy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I hope it will be good. Smile

http://comixbookgurl.blogspot.com/

8Batwoman Series Announced Empty Re: Batwoman Series Announced Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:42 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Article by Brandon Bowers, quotes of J.H. Williams III.

"Williams is focused on DC's Batwoman, a character he helped develop with writer Greg Rucka. Batwoman tells the ongoing story of Kate Kane, a Batman-inspired vigilante who happens to be a lesbian.

When DC introduced the character in 2006, she received a fair amount of news coverage for being the highest-profile gay superhero.

The one-dimensional attention rubbed Williams the wrong way.

'What makes it special is that it's a mainstream character who is also gay," he explained. "That's not the focus of the book. It's part of her identity, which is the same as everyone else. Different aspects of ourselves don't decide who we are -- the deciding factor about who she is is that she's a hero.'

And now, Williams will get his opportunity to further put his stamp on the character. Rucka recently left for another gig, and Williams has agreed to take on writing duties as well.

He'll be working with co-writer Haden Blackman. The 'zero issue' of the comic series, which Williams describes as a "bridge from what came before to what comes next," will hit stores in November. The book takes a look at the Batwoman character from Batman's point-of-view, Williams said.

'It was pretty daunting, but at the same time, I'm pretty confident,' he said. 'It's not like I'm unfamiliar with writing, but a lot of the stuff I've written before was unto themselves. I haven't had to follow another writer on the same subject. Following Greg, I'm not sure how people will respond to my take on it. Hopefully, they'll like it.'

Williams says he grew up reading Marvel Comics, but eventually gravitated toward DC's iconic characters -- Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.

'I got more interested in DC because they have a lot of oddball characters, who you wouldn't normally expect to see. They have some weirdness to some of their stuff.'

And he's hoping to bring a little of that weirdness into Batwoman's world.

'We're kind of all over the place," he said. "The first story is horror, the second is espionage and intrigue, then we have a fantasy epic and then it goes into a family nighttime drama -- all with a twisted point of view. It sounds like it's all over the place with the genres, but we figured out how they dovetail into each other in a natural way. I think it's really, really cool.'"

Read more (Batwoman's only a chunk of the article/interview): http://www.sacbee.com/2010/08/02/2930363/merced-comic-book-artist-jh-williams.html#ixzz0wNJnBhzx

9Batwoman Series Announced Empty Re: Batwoman Series Announced Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:54 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Well I am well and truly in. Williams's art on Detective was beautiful. Hopefully his writing will match that.

10Batwoman Series Announced Empty Re: Batwoman Series Announced Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:12 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I might check it out and eventually pick it up in trade. Not sure yet.

11Batwoman Series Announced Empty Re: Batwoman Series Announced Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:08 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I think I'll check this out. As I said before in the thread, I'm not a huge fan of JH Williams III's painted art. I don't think it's bad, but I don't like that kind of art for interiors. I prefer it for covers or posters. Anyway, that said, I think I'll at least check out the first issue. I do like Batwoman.

12Batwoman Series Announced Empty Re: Batwoman Series Announced Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:26 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

She is an awesome character for sure. Deserving of her own book and I mean her own book and not just in Detective Comics.

13Batwoman Series Announced Empty Re: Batwoman Series Announced Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:39 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Well, damn. Only issue #0 comes out this Nov., but Feb. is the beginning of the ongoing with #1.
http://comicsnexus.insidepulse.com/2010/08/14/batwoman-to-get-a-zero-issue-this-november/

Williams III's cover.
Batwoman Series Announced Batwoman-0

Amy Reeder's cover.
Batwoman Series Announced Reederbwm

14Batwoman Series Announced Empty Re: Batwoman Series Announced Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:29 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I have absolutely loved Amy Reeder Hadley's beautiful art on Madame Xanadu and the only down side to this for me is that I imagine it may mean she's lost to that title.

15Batwoman Series Announced Empty Re: Batwoman Series Announced Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:41 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Me too. Didn't think about it. She might be skipping out on Madame Xanadu.

16Batwoman Series Announced Empty Re: Batwoman Series Announced Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:43 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2010/08/batwoman-to-debut-in-november-with-zero-issue/
Batwoman Series Announced Batwoman0-reeder

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum