Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Robert Downey Jr. Eyes 'Wizard of Oz' Prequel

+6
BlueMaxx
Batman25JM
ChrisToPhenom
superdoug
rwe1138
Paroxysm
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

http://www.moviefone.ca/2010/04/21/robert-downey-jr-eyes-wizard-of-oz-prequel/
Riding high from his success on 'Iron Man' and 'Sherlock Holmes,' it now appears that for his next role, Robert Downey Jr. may be off to see the wizard. And yes, we mean that wizard.

According to the Los Angeles Times, Downey Jr. is in serious talks with Disney to play the Wizard of Oz in a prequel that will tell the story of how a lowly Kansas charlatan became the all-powerful man behind the curtain. The screenplay, which was written by Mitchell Kapner ('The Whole Nine Yards'), is said to be notably darker in tone than the beloved 1939 classic 'The Wizard of Oz.'

That, in turn, would seem to be right up Downey Jr.'s alley, as he has made a career playing complex, larger-than-life characters. Just what tone the movie will take, though, may depend in large part on the choice of director: Currently, Sam Mendes ('American Beauty') and Adam Shankman ('Hairspray'), who have significantly different aesthetics, are both being considered.

Whichever director ends up getting the gig, though, chances are if Downey Jr. agrees to the role, the movie will be put on the fast track: The actor's notoriously full shooting schedule has a tailor-made opening next spring that would be perfect for the wonderful wizard.

Until then, Downey's on-screen magic can be seen next on May 7 when 'Iron Man 2' hits theaters.

I really hope Sam Mendes gets to direct this!!!

https://www.facebook.com/people/Matt-Marshall/679612060#!/profile

rwe1138

rwe1138

I really hope Tim Burton doesn't get to direct this.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I feel like my head's about to explode, and not in a good way. This is probably the dumbest goddamned idea I've heard out of Hollywood since the Twilight saga.

The Wizard of Oz (and The Marvelous Land of Oz) tell the story pretty succinctly:
Spoiler:

I wish to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that people didn't feel the need to tell stories that don't need telling, or to darken up stories that aren't necessarily dark in and of themselves. Oz is not a scary place. It's a fairyland that happens to have a few truly scary things in it. But those goddamned flying monkeys gave enough kids nightmares after 1939 that I guess Baum's innocent child's garden has become a dense of jungle of the macabre.

ChrisToPhenom

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I thought Rob was going to quit acting for a while?

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

As much as I love RDJ, there is no way in hell I'll go see this. I hate, absolutely HATE the Wizard of Oz.

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I just knew he'd be playing The Wizard. So he'd be a relatively younger Wizard in this? Honestly don't care that much, but it could get more intriguing with more stuff coming about.

Not a necessary flick, unless they were to actually go through some of the classic books, making it a series.

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

Sam Raimi Will Direct Oz, the Great and Powerful in 3D

On Friday we heard that the offer had gone out from Disney to Sam Raimi for the director’s chair on Oz, the Great and Powerful. Now Raimi has accepted the job, which will make the origin story of the Wizard of Oz, starring Robert Downey, Jr., his follow-up to Drag Me To Hell, and his first movie since being released from the Spider-Man series in January. And he’ll make it in 3D.

Read more: /Film | Blogging the Reel World http://www.slashfilm.com/page/2/#ixzz0qywXbmO1

https://www.facebook.com/people/Matt-Marshall/679612060#!/profile

kidspider2099

kidspider2099
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

superdoug wrote:I feel like my head's about to explode, and not in a good way. This is probably the dumbest goddamned idea I've heard out of Hollywood since the Twilight saga.

The Wizard of Oz (and The Marvelous Land of Oz) tell the story pretty succinctly:
Spoiler:

I wish to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that people didn't feel the need to tell stories that don't need telling, or to darken up stories that aren't necessarily dark in and of themselves. Oz is not a scary place. It's a fairyland that happens to have a few truly scary things in it. But those goddamned flying monkeys gave enough kids nightmares after 1939 that I guess Baum's innocent child's garden has become a dense of jungle of the macabre.

i'm with doug I love wizard of and i don't want a twisted dark version.

Astro13Zombie

Astro13Zombie
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

kidspider2099 wrote:

I......I do.
unsure

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

What pisses me off is that this 'prequel' is going to be constructed almost entirely from whole cloth, because BAUM DIDN'T FEEL THE NEED TO TELL THE STORY FROM THE WIZARD'S POINT OF VIEW. There'll be very little of Baum in it, if at all. Which, to me, is the equivalent of digging up his corpse and buttfucking it with a rolled-up copy of Harry Potter.

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

superdoug wrote:What pisses me off is that this 'prequel' is going to be constructed almost entirely from whole cloth, because BAUM DIDN'T FEEL THE NEED TO TELL THE STORY FROM THE WIZARD'S POINT OF VIEW. There'll be very little of Baum in it, if at all. Which, to me, is the equivalent of digging up his corpse and buttfucking it with a rolled-up copy of Harry Potter.

Is that really important though? He only wrote about a third of all the OZ books out there anyway. If it's crap, don't watch it, it's not like it will sully the memory of the book or the 1939 musical any (at least not anymore than some dude hanging himself in the background did).

kidspider2099

kidspider2099
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Astro13Zombie wrote:
kidspider2099 wrote:

I......I do.
unsure

quite you!

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Gojiratoho wrote:Is that really important though? He only wrote about a third of all the OZ books out there anyway.

That's a spurious argument. It's like saying that anyone could make a Bond prequel not based on Fleming's work or his characterizations. Or if anyone would like a prequel to Gone With The Wind. Or someone making a Narnia film that takes place sometime between Magician's Nephew and The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. The character is Baum's; therefore, any prequel is sort of an insult to the man's memory.

And, while he only wrote fourteen Oz books, those are considered the foundation for the rest of the 'Famous Forty'. I know Hollywood, and this story will not be about the Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Isaac Norman Henkel Emmannuel Ambroise Diggs that we met in those novels, who hails from Omaha and has the best intentions. NO...what we'll get is a mix of the 1939 musical Kansas flim-flam man and the dark, morally questionable Wizard who appeared in the book WICKED. And I, for one, don't want to see it.

I would rather see Hollywood devote its energy to perhaps making a true franchise out of the novels as written by Baum, instead of creating all-new stories that DON'T NEED TO BE TOLD.

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

You're a fan of Wicked, yet you're against THIS idea? huh

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

superdoug wrote:
Gojiratoho wrote:Is that really important though? He only wrote about a third of all the OZ books out there anyway.

That's a spurious argument. It's like saying that anyone could make a Bond prequel not based on Fleming's work or his characterizations. Or if anyone would like a prequel to Gone With The Wind. Or someone making a Narnia film that takes place sometime between Magician's Nephew and The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. The character is Baum's; therefore, any prequel is sort of an insult to the man's memory.

And, while he only wrote fourteen Oz books, those are considered the foundation for the rest of the 'Famous Forty'. I know Hollywood, and this story will not be about the Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Isaac Norman Henkel Emmannuel Ambroise Diggs that we met in those novels, who hails from Omaha and has the best intentions. NO...what we'll get is a mix of the 1939 musical Kansas flim-flam man and the dark, morally questionable Wizard who appeared in the book WICKED. And I, for one, don't want to see it.

I would rather see Hollywood devote its energy to perhaps making a true franchise out of the novels as written by Baum, instead of creating all-new stories that DON'T NEED TO BE TOLD.

No, it's not a spurious argument, because the Wizard of Oz books are public domain. Anyone can write/film/stage anything they would like with any character from that world. As there are more books set in the world of OZ than the canonical books, my argument stands. It doesn't matter if Baum didn't feel the need to tell the story from the Wizard's point of view, others can.

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

And I think that's a travesty and an insult to the man's memory and the children's fairyland he created that everyone and their dog feels a need to take an emo shit in. Obviously, we disagree. Smile

And the Oz books are not public domain. The rights are owned by the International Wizard of Oz Fan Club, who aren't all that sue-happy. Wink

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

What about Wicked, Doug?

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Silent K wrote:What about Wicked, Doug?

See, that's sort of where my anger loses its merit, because I loved WICKED. The book and the musical. But then, it bears little resemblance to Baum's Oz. I consider WICKED (and the MGM movie) to be an 'alternate' OZ, as it were. That OZ isn't the Oz that Baum had imagined, but it's just as magical and a lot more scary.

Yes, I realize as I type this that the movie described seems to be a prequel to the MGM movie, in which case I appear to be talking out of my ass. But, if they're going to do a prequel to the MGM movie, why not just do WICKED? It's a fantastic story that leads right into the movie, and the Wizard in that is that dark, amoral man that everyone seems hot to see him as in this movie. Hell, I'd even take RDJ as that version of the Wizard!

Besides...the Wizard is a mousy humbug. How can they make that exciting for two hours? I'd rather see him as the pawn of the morally repugnant Madame Morrible and someone who got caught up in his own hype.

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

In short: Quit yer bitchin'. Seriously. Sam Raimi, Robert Downey, Jr., and Disney. That's a LOT of pedigree. Unless it ends up a flashy bore like Alice in Wonderland, I think this flick will end up being pretty well-loved.

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

And yknow...often times, Hollywood gets shit for not having new ideas. I know Oz isn't a new idea, but taking a new direction with it from the POV of the Wizard is "new", which adapting Wicked would not be.

Nothing can be worse than Muppet Wizard of OZ.

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Silent K wrote:Nothing can be worse than Muppet Wizard of OZ.

Fuck you. Seriously. Muppet Wizard of Oz was, perhaps, one of the more faithful adaptations, silly as it was. Any version that includes the Kalidahs and Tattypoo, the Good Witch of the North, is firing on ALL FUCKING CYLINDERS. And the use of Piggy as all four Witches was fucking inspired! tongue

Laughing Laughing

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

superdoug wrote:And I think that's a travesty and an insult to the man's memory and the children's fairyland he created that everyone and their dog feels a need to take an emo shit in. Obviously, we disagree. Smile

And the Oz books are not public domain. The rights are owned by the International Wizard of Oz Fan Club, who aren't all that sue-happy. Wink

I'm not defending the context, just the fact that anyone can write any story they would like to. I'm content to disagree, but all of the Baum books are public domain and once a work is in the public domain, it stays there. The International Wizard of Oz Fan Club might have gotten the rights to the other books still under copyright though.

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

superdoug wrote:
Silent K wrote:Nothing can be worse than Muppet Wizard of OZ.

Fuck you. Seriously. Muppet Wizard of Oz was, perhaps, one of the more faithful adaptations, silly as it was. Any version that includes the Kalidahs and Tattypoo, the Good Witch of the North, is firing on ALL FUCKING CYLINDERS. And the use of Piggy as all four Witches was fucking inspired! tongue

Laughing Laughing

And all of that faithfulness was undone by Ashanti and wrong-sounding Muppets.

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

rwe1138

rwe1138

Silent K wrote:
Nothing can be worse than Muppet Wizard of OZ.
Mad angry grrr thumbs down outrageous

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum