Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

'Alien' prequel announced

+3
Spaced4SimonPegg
BlueMaxx
melvinlikechris
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1'Alien' prequel announced Empty 'Alien' prequel announced Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:14 pm

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah this was announced months ago, but it has been confirmed that a prequel to 'Alien' is in the works. Jon Spaihts has been hired to write the movie and Ridley Scott is to return as director.

Read article here:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118006722.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&ref=bd_film

To me the idea of an Alien prequel is kinda stupid, and pointless, but the fact that the original director will be making it gives me some hope.

2'Alien' prequel announced Empty Re: 'Alien' prequel announced Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:33 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The prequel could work if it deals with the alien driver's race that lost(?) the xenomorph. Even with that, still can't see anything too great coming out of this, though.

Shadow 19, which was mentioned, seemed a bit more interesting, actually.

St. George and the Dragon sounds awesome! Considered the best dragon story in fantasy. Dragonslayer was based on it.

3'Alien' prequel announced Empty Re: 'Alien' prequel announced Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:44 pm

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I will give it a view I am a big fan of the Alien series.

4'Alien' prequel announced Empty Re: 'Alien' prequel announced Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:17 am

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

melvinlikechris wrote:To me the idea of an Alien prequel is kinda stupid, and pointless, but the fact that the original director will be making it gives me some hope.

But then again, George Lucas directed the prequels to Star Wars, and we all know how that turned out

5'Alien' prequel announced Empty Re: 'Alien' prequel announced Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:01 am

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

An update on the prequel:

"The script is written by newcomer screenwriter Jon Spaihts. Ridley Scott stated that the story will take place in 2085, approximately three decades prior to the events of the first Alien film, before the birth of Ellen Ripley. The story, which went through several drafts, features a female lead character and will focus on terraforming and the Weyland corporation before its merger with the Yutani company. The film will explore the origin of the unknown extraterrestrial race, who only had a brief appearance in the first Alien as the derelict spaceship's pilot. Scott stated that the film would be about "gods and […] engineers of space" and hinted at the possibility that the Xenomorph Alien was designed either as a biological weapon or as a means to "clean up" planets.

Roger Christian, art director on the first Alien, speculated that the film will be shot in 3-D, which was eventually confirmed by Ridley Scott. Since 3-D films need high lighting levels on set, the hallmark atmosphere of the Alien films with darkness and shadows will be added in post-production through color grading processes, while the 3-D equipment will be based on post-Avatar technology. Preliminary production design has commenced, and the Alien itself will be reenvisioned as a progenitor of the received form of the Xenomorph. Scott plans to contact H. R. Giger for possible artistic collaboration. The film will be released in theaters either by the end of 2011 or in 2012, and Scott also remarked that it may be developed as the first of two prequel films."

The most recent article I could find:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8644051.stm

6'Alien' prequel announced Empty Re: 'Alien' prequel announced Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:51 am

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

melvinlikechris wrote:
melvinlikechris wrote:To me the idea of an Alien prequel is kinda stupid, and pointless, but the fact that the original director will be making it gives me some hope.

But then again, George Lucas directed the prequels to Star Wars, and we all know how that turned out

But unlike Lucas, Scott is a good director. Name me 4 movies Lucas directed that were worth a damn. It's impossible.

7'Alien' prequel announced Empty Re: 'Alien' prequel announced Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:40 pm

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^THX 1138, American Graffiti, Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope... well thats three. Revenge of the Sith was pretty decent IMO.

Regading the Alien prequel, at first I was skeptical but in light of latest developments, I'm actually kinda excited about it now. At least its not a remake.

8'Alien' prequel announced Empty Re: 'Alien' prequel announced Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:44 pm

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

A. You've never seen THX 1138, quit acting like it gives you more geek cred if you have. B. It's by all accounts terrible. C. George Lucas is at least good enough to do it for a living, so I guess that's all I need to hear.

For the record, no I'm not some big giant Lucas lover, but to pretend like he didn't invent the thing that shaped most of our nerdy childhoods or even lives is an insult, and lame. I know bandwagons are fun, but episode 1 is the only genuinely bad film of the six.

9'Alien' prequel announced Empty Re: 'Alien' prequel announced Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:45 pm

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

melvinlikechris wrote:^THX 1138, American Graffiti, Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope... well thats three. Revenge of the Sith was pretty decent IMO.

Regading the Alien prequel, at first I was skeptical but in light of latest developments, I'm actually kinda excited about it now. At least its not a remake.

It was kind of a trick question since he's only directed 6 movies. The three you mentioned and the last 3 Star Wars flicks, none of which I found to be any good (aside from the lightsaber fights.)

10'Alien' prequel announced Empty Re: 'Alien' prequel announced Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:48 pm

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thundermatts wrote:C. George Lucas is at least good enough to do it for a living, so I guess that's all I need to hear.

No, he's not. He's an executive producer that got lucky with a Space Opera in the late 70's and early 80's and made a hell of a deal on merchandising. He's been riding the coat tails/exploiting what shaped our nerdy childhoods ever since.

11'Alien' prequel announced Empty Re: 'Alien' prequel announced Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:04 pm

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Each of the Star Wars movies have made a billion dollars in their opening weekends. (Fact.) ((That's not a fact))

Genuinely shitty directors (Like Uwe Boll) make three dollars a film.

Seriously, the only people I ever hear bitching about any body in that sort of business, whether it be writing, filmmaking, art, or music, are usually people who want to do it themselves, but just don't have the talent to do it. ie, the guy who writed Filmdrunk.com. You can tell he's a failed screenwriter. He's made hints towards writing scripts in his free time. And he hates on everything. Everything sucks. Why? Not because it really does suck (sure, some stuff does suck, but most of it is at least good.) but because he's jealous. I don't know too much about you, so I'm not sure if filmmaking is something you fancy, but I'm hazarding a guess that it might be. Or you're just an angry person. lol. And you don't seem like an angry person to me.

12'Alien' prequel announced Empty Re: 'Alien' prequel announced Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:56 pm

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

No, I just don't like Lucas. I was teasing MelvinLikeChris about naming 4 good movies that Lucas has directed. He's only directed 6 ever (Star Wars:New Hope, THX1138, and American Graphitti, all movies from the late 70's early 80's, and then the 3 new Star Wars films which are pale shade of the original 3).

Saying he's good enough at what he does to make a living is true if you mean as an Executive Producer, but as a director he's a hack. As for filmmaking, I have no desire to get behind the camera to direct.

This all came up from MLC comparing Ridley Scott coming back to direct the Aliens Prequel to Lucas directing the far inferior prequels to Star Wars. I off the cuff made light of the comparison because, as I stated before, Lucas is not a director where as Ridley Scott is an excellent one.

Should have used more smilies.

13'Alien' prequel announced Empty Re: 'Alien' prequel announced Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:59 pm

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

__

Last edited by melvinlikechris on Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I'm sober now and I cringed at what I typed)

14'Alien' prequel announced Empty Re: 'Alien' prequel announced Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:03 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

melvinlikechris wrote:An update on the prequel:

"The script is written by newcomer screenwriter Jon Spaihts. Ridley Scott stated that the story will take place in 2085, approximately three decades prior to the events of the first Alien film, before the birth of Ellen Ripley. The story, which went through several drafts, features a female lead character and will focus on terraforming and the Weyland corporation before its merger with the Yutani company. The film will explore the origin of the unknown extraterrestrial race, who only had a brief appearance in the first Alien as the derelict spaceship's pilot. Scott stated that the film would be about "gods and […] engineers of space" and hinted at the possibility that the Xenomorph Alien was designed either as a biological weapon or as a means to "clean up" planets.

Roger Christian, art director on the first Alien, speculated that the film will be shot in 3-D, which was eventually confirmed by Ridley Scott. Since 3-D films need high lighting levels on set, the hallmark atmosphere of the Alien films with darkness and shadows will be added in post-production through color grading processes, while the 3-D equipment will be based on post-Avatar technology. Preliminary production design has commenced, and the Alien itself will be reenvisioned as a progenitor of the received form of the Xenomorph. Scott plans to contact H. R. Giger for possible artistic collaboration. The film will be released in theaters either by the end of 2011 or in 2012, and Scott also remarked that it may be developed as the first of two prequel films."

The most recent article I could find:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8644051.stm

From the day I first saw Alien I have always thought there was a story to be told about that alien ship so I think this is the perfect idea for the prequel. Looking forward to it and it seems a lot of the right people are involved.

Last edited by Aussiemandias on Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total

15'Alien' prequel announced Empty Re: 'Alien' prequel announced Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:38 am

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thundermatts wrote:A. You've never seen THX 1138, quit acting like it gives you more geek cred if you have. B. It's by all accounts terrible. C. George Lucas is at least good enough to do it for a living, so I guess that's all I need to hear.

For the record, no I'm not some big giant Lucas lover, but to pretend like he didn't invent the thing that shaped most of our nerdy childhoods or even lives is an insult, and lame. I know bandwagons are fun, but episode 1 is the only genuinely bad film of the six.

Whoa! Calm down.

Just wanna make a few things clear.

I have seen THX 1138 and I liked it.

This isn't a George Lucas thread, I just mentioned him as a reference to directors returning to previous works and making inferior movies.

I have never pretended that Lucas didn't invent something that shaped my 'nerdy childhood.'

The phrase 'Jumping on the bandwagon' is stupid okay. It is more than possible for someone to agree with popular opinion on their own merits.
I don't like Episode II. Because everyone else says it sucks. No, because I just don't like it. As I said in my last post, I thought Episode III was decent.

16'Alien' prequel announced Empty Re: 'Alien' prequel announced Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:22 pm

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

So does this mean we'll find out who the Space Jockey is?

https://www.facebook.com/people/Matt-Marshall/679612060#!/profile

17'Alien' prequel announced Empty Re: 'Alien' prequel announced Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:50 pm

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Ridley Scott has hinted that the Space Jockey will be explained in this film, or one of the sequels

18'Alien' prequel announced Empty Re: 'Alien' prequel announced Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:57 pm

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

melvinlikechris wrote:^Ridley Scott has hinted that the Space Jockey will be explained in this film, or one of the sequels

Nice!!!

https://www.facebook.com/people/Matt-Marshall/679612060#!/profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum