Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Scientists create "artificial life"

+12
Astro13Zombie
shark6495
Rath99
Ska
potatojoe
melvinlikechris
Joshua
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Gojiratoho
Mnemosis
azrael07
Paroxysm
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Scientists create "artificial life" Fri May 21, 2010 2:50 pm

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

Scientists create "artificial life" 500x_image3-low
http://io9.com/5543843/scientists-create-artificial-life-+-synthetic-dna-that-can-self+replicate
In one of the biggest breakthroughs in recent history, scientists have created a synthetic genome that can self-replicate. So what does this mean? Are we about to become gray goo?

Led by Craig Venter of the J. Craig Venter Institute (JCVI), the team of scientists combined two existing techniques to transplant synthetic DNA into a bacteria. First they chemically synthesized a bacterial genome, then they used well-known nuclear transfer techniques (used in IVF) to transplant the genome into a bacteria. And apparently the bacteria replicated itself, too, thus creating a second generation of the synthetic DNA. The process is being hailed as revolutionary.

This is awesome but equally scary at the same time.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Matt-Marshall/679612060#!/profile

2Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Re: Scientists create "artificial life" Fri May 21, 2010 3:20 pm

azrael07

azrael07
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

woaaaah.

scary.

*starts playing Twilight Zone music*

3Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Re: Scientists create "artificial life" Fri May 21, 2010 3:28 pm

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

https://www.facebook.com/people/Matt-Marshall/679612060#!/profile

4Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Re: Scientists create "artificial life" Fri May 21, 2010 3:31 pm

azrael07

azrael07
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Laughing

5Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Re: Scientists create "artificial life" Fri May 21, 2010 4:23 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

I'm not religious.
I'm not afraid of progress.
But why... why do we build Hadron Colliders and replicate synthetic DNA? What the FUCK are we thinking?

6Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Re: Scientists create "artificial life" Fri May 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Because we can.

7Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Re: Scientists create "artificial life" Fri May 21, 2010 4:31 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

THAT is exactly what terrifies me. It's like using your Easy Button to find my Easy Button

8Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Re: Scientists create "artificial life" Fri May 21, 2010 4:58 pm

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This is no more terrifying than any other scientific breakthrough done because "we could". I see limitless possibilities for this field of science, one example that springs to mind is the curing of incurable diseases. Immortality here we come.

9Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Re: Scientists create "artificial life" Fri May 21, 2010 5:57 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Very interesting. I can get what K-Whack is saying though: The applications for these discoveries is so far removed from relatively more urgent concerns and the amount of time and effort it will take to simply apply these discoveries to something practical. Like the project I worked on 2 years ago--essentially making a heat detector similar to how pit vipers heat sensors work, thus allowing one to track something that has already passed. It has applications in war (the military funded the project) but from a practical standpoint, one would have to be extremely creative, especially considering how such technology is not readily available. In any case, personally, I'm excited by this. Seems cool, but I get what Kwhack is talking about (at least that's how I interpreted it. Sorry if I'm off base). They're very valid concerns.

10Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Re: Scientists create "artificial life" Fri May 21, 2010 6:01 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Major scientific breakthroughs usually lead me to have the following train of thought:
1.) Does this get me any closer to owning a flying car?
2.) If yes, awesome. If no, meh.

11Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Re: Scientists create "artificial life" Fri May 21, 2010 6:23 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

Gojiratoho wrote:This is no more terrifying than any other scientific breakthrough done because "we could". I see limitless possibilities for this field of science, one example that springs to mind is the curing of incurable diseases. Immortality here we come.

Yeah... THAT'S one of the things I'm worried about.

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:Very interesting. I can get what K-Whack is saying though: The applications for these discoveries is so far removed from relatively more urgent concerns and the amount of time and effort it will take to simply apply these discoveries to something practical. Like the project I worked on 2 years ago--essentially making a heat detector similar to how pit vipers heat sensors work, thus allowing one to track something that has already passed. It has applications in war (the military funded the project) but from a practical standpoint, one would have to be extremely creative, especially considering how such technology is not readily available. In any case, personally, I'm excited by this. Seems cool, but I get what Kwhack is talking about (at least that's how I interpreted it. Sorry if I'm off base). They're very valid concerns.

Yes and no, Wade.

For one, there are some things I just don't think we should do. But secondly, there are some things I think we SHOULD be doing instead of the things we ARE doing. For example, I don't care about space. Spend the money on Earth.

Joshua wrote:Major scientific breakthroughs usually lead me to have the following train of thought:

Also, this.

12Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Re: Scientists create "artificial life" Fri May 21, 2010 6:33 pm

azrael07

azrael07
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Joshua wrote:Major scientific breakthroughs usually lead me to have the following train of thought:

What would you do for a flying car?

Last edited by azrael07 on Fri May 21, 2010 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

13Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Re: Scientists create "artificial life" Fri May 21, 2010 6:38 pm

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

A friend told me about this today, he said that this allows for the creation of any life form. I asked if this means that they could make me a hot alien wife. He said that was a possibility and then I got a massive boner..... and that was the story of my day.

14Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Re: Scientists create "artificial life" Fri May 21, 2010 7:58 pm

azrael07

azrael07
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

melvinlikechris wrote:A friend told me about this today, he said that this allows for the creation of any life form. I asked if this means that they could make me a hot alien wife. He said that was a possibility and then I got a massive boner..... and that was the story of my day.

sounds awkward.

15Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Re: Scientists create "artificial life" Fri May 21, 2010 8:23 pm

potatojoe

potatojoe
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

azrael07 wrote:can a mod delete this post please?

It must of self replicated.

Last edited by potatojoe on Fri May 21, 2010 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

16Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Re: Scientists create "artificial life" Fri May 21, 2010 8:39 pm

Ska

Ska
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ska's Cloning Wishlist:
Scientists create "artificial life" Tennant-dr-who
Scientists create "artificial life" David-tennant
Scientists create "artificial life" Tumblr_ksw3ttTjO41qzf3i1o1_500

PLZ? KTHX!

http://www.myspace.com/kristinellenamarie

17Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Re: Scientists create "artificial life" Fri May 21, 2010 8:47 pm

azrael07

azrael07
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Laughing Laughing

i think somebody likes David Tennant

18Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Re: Scientists create "artificial life" Fri May 21, 2010 10:51 pm

Ska

Ska
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

educated
Today was a fine day for science!

http://www.myspace.com/kristinellenamarie

19Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Re: Scientists create "artificial life" Fri May 21, 2010 10:55 pm

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Gojiratoho wrote:Because we can.

It doesn't mean we should.

I see the clone wars coming!!

20Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Re: Scientists create "artificial life" Fri May 21, 2010 11:31 pm

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

Rath99 wrote:
Gojiratoho wrote:Because we can.

It doesn't mean we should.

I see the clone wars coming!!

THANK YOU. Seriously... maybe I'm just getting old, or maybe I'm too cynical, or maybe I'm just too big of a geek, but... isn't this the part where Dr. Connors turns himself into the Lizard and Arnold Schwarzenegger fights his clone?

21Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Re: Scientists create "artificial life" Fri May 21, 2010 11:38 pm

azrael07

azrael07
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

but the clone is real, and Arnold is the real clone, and the clone doesn't know he's a clone thanks to the memory implants!

besides, Scientists should know better, i mean surely they've had to have seen sci-fi movies where cloning and splicing goes terribly wrong.

22Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Re: Scientists create "artificial life" Sat May 22, 2010 12:48 am

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

azrael07 wrote:but the clone is real, and Arnold is the real clone, and the clone doesn't know he's a clone thanks to the memory implants!

besides, Scientists should know better, i mean surely they've had to have seen sci-fi movies where cloning and splicing goes terribly wrong.

and yet here we have chicken/dinosaur........ just because they have seen a movie where this happens...

Scientists create "artificial life" Jurassic_park_TRex-thumb-635x314-29817

they are hoping for this

Scientists create "artificial life" Be4time

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

23Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Re: Scientists create "artificial life" Sat May 22, 2010 12:51 am

Astro13Zombie

Astro13Zombie
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Pet dinosaurs FTW

24Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Re: Scientists create "artificial life" Sat May 22, 2010 1:07 am

colossus1979

colossus1979
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

i would so have a pet triceratops and raptor

25Scientists create "artificial life" Empty Re: Scientists create "artificial life" Sat May 22, 2010 2:37 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Reminds me of Horton Cells from the original Human Torch. neutral

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum