Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Don Bluth

+11
Joshua
krpykrwly
Spaced4SimonPegg
Gojiratoho
BlueMaxx
superdoug
TENIME_art
Thundermatts
Lee
Administrator
Sandman
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Don Bluth - Page 2 Empty Re: Don Bluth Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:20 am

Sandman

Sandman
Ninja
Ninja

kidspider2099 wrote:
Joshua wrote:I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan, but that doesn't mean everything he's had a hand in is gold. Lord knows he's certainly not always happy with the direction movies he's scripted have made (see: Buffy the Vampire Slayer). Ben Edlund, who is a genius, also worked on the screenplay. In the end, the blame rests with the director. Don't get me wrong, Bluth has made some exceptional movies (Secret of NIMH, An American Tail, Anastasia) but he's also churned out some real crap (Rock-a-Doodle, Thumbelina, A Troll in Central Park).

i think the crappy ones were made simply to make money.
as were the multipal sequels made. (and I know Don Bluth was not directly involved in them but I did not know how to word it as I was heading out the door as I typed it)

27Don Bluth - Page 2 Empty Re: Don Bluth Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:08 am

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

kidspider2099 wrote:
i think the crappy ones were made simply to make money.
Point being...? scratch

28Don Bluth - Page 2 Empty Re: Don Bluth Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:38 am

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I think the real question is "Well I've got nipples, can Don Bluth milk me?"

29Don Bluth - Page 2 Empty Re: Don Bluth Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:56 am

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I think all movies are made to make money.

30Don Bluth - Page 2 Empty Re: Don Bluth Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:51 am

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Some are made purely for artistic reasons (The Cure for Insomnia was definitely not made to make money.) but they are few and far between.

31Don Bluth - Page 2 Empty Re: Don Bluth Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:05 am

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I knew someone would be "that guy"

I assumed it would be Joshua.

Anyways. Movies that you go to a theater to watch are made to make money. That being said, the movie you mentioned was played at an art house or something right? Artist are generally paid for they're work. So I'll even say ALL ART is made to make money. The whole point is doing it for a living. Sure you can say things, and have points of view, but ultimately you want to get paid for it. Art is the most commercial thing in the world.

32Don Bluth - Page 2 Empty Re: Don Bluth Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:35 am

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thundermatts wrote:I knew someone would be "that guy"

Anyways. Movies that you go to a theater to watch are made to make money. That being said, the movie you mentioned was played at an art house or something right? Artist are generally paid for they're work. So I'll even say ALL ART is made to make money. The whole point is doing it for a living. Sure you can say things, and have points of view, but ultimately you want to get paid for it. Art is the most commercial thing in the world.

I'm really not sure as I'd only read about it in one of my college classes, the film is something like 3 1/2 days long (that's not a typo, it's an 80+ hour movie). I don't know who would pay money to see that.

Also, what I've bolded is a complete fallacy.

33Don Bluth - Page 2 Empty Re: Don Bluth Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:30 pm

TENIME_art

TENIME_art
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Rock-A-Doodle & Thumbelina were miles better than Anastasia (never saw Troll). In my opinion. Pebble & The Penguin was kinda "meh", too.

Titan A.E. is probably his worst work, but I still love his animation style, and it was cool to see it in a sci-fi story.

And, it's his animation that is what wins me over. Even with the "meh" ones. I still like Anastasia because of it.

Oh, and All Dogs is the greatest. IMO.

34Don Bluth - Page 2 Empty Re: Don Bluth Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:54 pm

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I always liked Disney's Robin Hood.

35Don Bluth - Page 2 Empty Re: Don Bluth Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:21 pm

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Gojiratoho wrote:
Thundermatts wrote:I knew someone would be "that guy"

I'm really not sure as I'd only read about it in one of my college classes, the film is something like 3 1/2 days long (that's not a typo, it's an 80+ hour movie). I don't know who would pay money to see that.

Also, what I've bolded is a complete fallacy.

Find me an artist who happily gives away all of his work, and I'll believe you.

36Don Bluth - Page 2 Empty Re: Don Bluth Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:00 pm

Gojiratoho

Gojiratoho
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thundermatts wrote:

Find me an artist who happily gives away all of his work, and I'll believe you.

No.

You said "all art" not "all works by one artist". If one piece of artistic expres​sion(painting, sculpture, literature, music, drawing, dance, theater, poetry, song, etc. ad nauseum) in the history of ever was given away for free, that makes your statement false.

That being said (and before this continues), my initial post about the Cure for Insomnia was meant to be ball busting, since it was most definitely not made for profit but it's also the exception not the rule (and it was a fun fact that a 3+ day movie actually exists).

37Don Bluth - Page 2 Empty Re: Don Bluth Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:04 pm

GigaToast

GigaToast
Ninja
Ninja

Gojiratoho wrote:I always liked Disney's Robin Hood.

^ yes

http://www.gigatoast.deviantart.com

38Don Bluth - Page 2 Empty Re: Don Bluth Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:04 pm

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

yeah I looked it up. Good lord, who could sit and watch that.

And my bad for not specifics, I certainly know some art is donated, I was thinking more along the lines of every artist is in it for (At least partially) money. Certainly they have a passion and a story to tell, but every artist wants to make a living off of what they love doing.

39Don Bluth - Page 2 Empty Re: Don Bluth Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:43 pm

Sandman

Sandman
Ninja
Ninja

TENIME_art wrote:Rock-A-Doodle & Thumbelina were miles better than Anastasia (never saw Troll). In my opinion. Pebble & The Penguin was kinda "meh", too.

Titan A.E. is probably his worst work, but I still love his animation style, and it was cool to see it in a sci-fi story.

And, it's his animation that is what wins me over. Even with the "meh" ones. I still like Anastasia because of it.

Oh, and All Dogs is the greatest. IMO.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/23398-a-troll-in-central-park

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum