Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

I write like Tolstoy!

+19
Lee
Administrator
Janson
MillionDollarGeek
Joshua
kidspider2099
Frank M. Reding
Mnemosis
Captain Painway
colossus1979
comicgeekelly
Batman25JM
alucardbarnivous
Sapphire Gypsy
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
WonderWoman2.0
Thundermatts
BlueMaxx
riv1
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:57 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Aw, I would've been honored to be Douglas Adams or Palahniuk. Very cool.

27I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:02 am

kidspider2099

kidspider2099
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I got oscar wilde.

28I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:04 am

Frank M. Reding

Frank M. Reding
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

BlueMaxx wrote:^ Aw, I would've been honored to be Douglas Adams or Palahniuk. Very cool.

Ah yes I forgot you're quite the Hitchhiker's fan aren't you.

And I would be honored to be compared to Adams...King...and maybe Palahniuk....if this little test was in any way valid. Laughing

29I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:08 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ It was totally valid! RIV told me to not be a downer, so... ;P

kidspider2099 wrote:I got oscar wilde.
Of course you did.

30I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:30 am

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

colossus1979 wrote:i put in one of my shorts and got stephanie meyer Crying or Very sad
Fucking ouch.

I got oscar wilde.

lmao

I entered a variety of different amateur movie critiques I have done and got Arthur C. Clarke and Cory Doctorow (who, incidentally, wrote a book about living in Disney World) twice, and then H.P. Lovecraft, Stephen King, and Vladimir Nabokov once each. Either my writing style isn't as consistent as I thought, or this website has a pretty wide margin of error.

31I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:32 am

MillionDollarGeek

MillionDollarGeek
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I write like Dan Brown

32I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:48 am

Frank M. Reding

Frank M. Reding
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Laughing Laughing

Just for fun I put in some song lyrics and here's what I got...

Sir Mix-a-Lot - Baby Got Back.....J. D. Salinger

Metallica - Enter Sandman...William Shakespeare lmao

Ratt - Round and Round....Mark Twain

Queensryche - Silent Lucidity...Stephen King

Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train....Jane Austen lmao lmao

Rush - Subdivisions....Dan Brown (too bad it wasn't Ayn Rand Laughing )

Glen Campbell - Rhinestone Cowboy...James Fenimore Cooper

Weird Al - White & Nerdy....Cory Doctorow

The Beatles - A Day in the Life....Raymond Chandler

Cab Calloway - Minnie the Moocher (Blues Bros. version) ....Daniel Defoe

Sapphire Gypsy wrote:Sting sung about Nabakov. Very Happy

And since you gave me the idea for this Sapphire Gypsy..

The Police - Don't Stand So Close To Me....J. K. Rowling

33I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:05 am

Frank M. Reding

Frank M. Reding
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

BlueMaxx wrote:^ It was totally valid! RIV told me to not be a downer, so... ;P

Oh well....I'm certainly not going to argue with him...but still I...hmmm... surprised.... HOLY CRAP...I just copied the text to a Sherlock Holmes story to that test and when I clicked analyze it said Arthur Conan Doyle ...so maybe it is valid...somewhat...kinda....so...does that mean that maybe something I wrote maybe had a touch of Douglas Adams and Stephen King somewhere in it... blush

34I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:27 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ You've inspired me, sir. And I think I've figured it out. They've filed the works of many great writers and words used seem to trigger the response. I put in excerpts from Stephen King and Jane Austen books and they came out accordingly.

Will say that I found something interesting. Put in an excerpt from American Gods by Neil Gaiman and it came up with Ursula K. Le Guin, one of his favorite writers.

Although, I did an excerpt of Stephanie Meyers The Host and it came out James Joyce. (Trying to discover plagiarism. tongue) Sooo...maybe not all the works are in this search engine?

35I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:46 am

Janson

Janson
Zombie
Zombie

After doing several of my own chapters in the thinger and getting different authors, but repeats in chapters I felt were alike I decided to see how well this thing worked. So I grabbed a quote from an interview with J.K.Rowling.

"I had been writing almost continuously since the age of six but I had never been so excited about an idea before. I simply sat and thought, for four (delayed train) hours, and all the details bubbled up in my brain, and this scrawny, black-haired, bespectacled boy who did not know he was a wizard became more and more real to me."

And it said it sounded like J.K. Rowling. Now how cool is that?

36I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:39 pm

colossus1979

colossus1979
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

i put in my half life short and got H.P. Lovecraft. big grin so much better.

http://iwl.me/s/147eabd8

37I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:49 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

H. P. Lovecraft (my recent "Hidden Gems", published today; my latest "BLAARGH!"), David Foster Wallace (my "6-Pack" from last week; my latest "It's a Trap!" about Special Forces; my "Holy Crap! Remember...?" about Dial H for Hero) and Cory Doctorow (my recent post in the Goon movie thread).

Mnemosis wrote:Aight, wrote two scenes from "my comic" and got Stephen King and Vladimir Nabokov respectively. While I'd never heard of the latter, reading about him makes me pleased to be associated with him in any way.
Wow...

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

38I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:50 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Edit: Apparently my columns are in the same vein as Lovecraft and Foster Wallace, while my forum posts are like Doctorow's writings...

39I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:08 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Does anybody else think that it just randomly selects an author and claims that you write like them?

40I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:55 pm

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This thing is cool. I put in two paragraphs from King's Cell, and it came back... Stephen King. I think that's impressive. And yes I saw Blue did the same.

41I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:39 pm

colossus1979

colossus1979
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

comicgeekelly wrote:Does anybody else think that it just randomly selects an author and claims that you write like them?

i put in a paragraph from deadly hollows and got J.K. rowlings. so i don't think it's random.

42I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:11 pm

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

You cheater!

43I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:22 pm

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

I got H.P. Lovecraft. Boosh.

http://www.leerodriguez.net

44I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:13 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

"PoP! We are Lovecraft."

45I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:22 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

I just posted this:

fdsdfdfdfd dfd dfdfgt kmknk
dfdfdfdfd dfdf ffgfg dfsdf
fddaaaaaaaa ffdf fdfdf dfdfd

And got this...
http://iwl.me/b/85a62134

Why am I not surprised?

46I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:21 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^^^^ lol!

47I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:05 pm

colossus1979

colossus1979
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

see? friggin damn thing...compared old stuff to her....but the new stuff i got lovecraft so i'm ok. Very Happy

48I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:02 am

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

What is it with Lovecraft?!?

49I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:20 am

C's Lady

C's Lady
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

I posted an entry from my blog and got Cory Doctorow. Kinda funny. I also put in a poem I wrote that I am actually quite proud of and got Stephanie Meyer. Now IF ONLY I could get published and be that rich!

Last edited by C's Lady on Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I didn't read everyone else's first! LOL)

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/crystal.vansickle?ref

50I write like Tolstoy! - Page 2 Empty Re: I write like Tolstoy! Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:11 am

rwe1138

rwe1138

BlueMaxx wrote:I'm wondering how it's done. Words used and structure? Because my short story was lackluster. IDK. Not to be a downer. :P

There's some kind of recognition software going on. My OtLB on Dark Tower got Steven King, and my 6-Pack on Green Lanterns (with lots of alien names) got Douglas Adams (who uses lots of weird alien names).

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum