Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stallone on the decline of 80's action heroes

+3
riv1
Joshua
Debaser77
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-sylvester-stallone-blames-batman.html

huh

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Well, he's not really blaming Batman as he is the Burton Batman movie. I don't know if he's right or wrong, but he's certainly not off his rocker.

Debaser77

Debaser77

I just think he's overestimating the influence of the padded suit.

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I believe he was being a little tongue in cheek.

CherriesJubilee

CherriesJubilee
Pirate
Pirate

While I'm not sure it's ALL Batman's fault, I do think he makes a point.

(._Y_.)

(._Y_.)
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I think people have just become more geeky in the past 2 decades and movies cater to that. Look at Scott Pilgrim and Kick Ass for example. Also 'roids have become less cool, just look at the decrease in popularity of the WWE. At its height in popularity it had a Saturday morning cartoon! It's more about the "average" guy being the hero rather than the superguy.

colossus1979

colossus1979
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

i believe he was possibly being a tad scarcastic, but also voicing what imo at the time (late 80's early to mid 90's) an accurate observation of what was going on. if you look at not just the batman movies from then, look at other movies, like the matrix for instance. the whole point was "were super heroes using our mind and computers to.." fill in the blank, i mean neo was flying stopping bullets and bringing the dead back to life. morpheus in the movies is a prime example, i mean lawrence fishburne doesn't even hide the fact he didn't skip the seconds at the dinner table and yet they got him wire flying and samurai sword fighting on top of 18 wheelers. i mean i have the special edition dvd's so i saw the martial arts training they got....but i didn't see or hear once they went through any weight training. but as much as he's right....he's also wrong as of late. if you look at movies like 300, the new batman movies, wolverine, iron man and so forth, it's coming back to "big muscles=bigger dollars" again. i mean you will have the "scrawny kid saves the day." movies still, but RDJ said for both iron man movies he weight trained 5 days a week, did extensive martial arts practicing, just to put on the suit. we've all seen how friggin big chris hemsworth is in a couple of those thor pictures, leiv shcriber and hugh jackman put on about an extra 40 pounds of muscle to do wolverine and sabertooth, ryan reynolds beefed up for deadpool and again for GL, even for blade 3 he said he put on some extra muscle. the waters might have have thinned out for the muscle bound hero, but it's starting to go back to formula.

Off_White_Lantern

Off_White_Lantern
Pirate
Pirate

Keaton is a great actor and anyone would trade a fit guy in the bat suit over a steroid-head that cant act. Stallone is wrong anyway since the new crop playing Cap America, Batman and especially Reynolds as GL are huge. And if were counting tv Tom Welling is really big.

Stallone and Arnold were good for their kind of movies but the muscle head action stars like Van Damme made those 80's action flicks a very guilty pleasure. There were action stars like Steve McQueen way before Stallone and those 80's meat heads ever took their first steroid.

Debaser77

Debaser77

Thing is, though, that two of Schwarzenegger's biggest hits, Total Recall and Terminator 2, came out AFTER Burton's Batman, so it's not like the 80's action hero completely died off after that movie came out. I can see Stallone's point in a way, but I think it had more to do with the quality of the movies he and his ilk put out in the 90's than with the differences in physique.

colossus1979

colossus1979
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Debaser77 wrote:Thing is, though, that two of Schwarzenegger's biggest hits, Total Recall and Terminator 2, came out AFTER Burton's Batman, so it's not like the 80's action hero completely died off after that movie came out. I can see Stallone's point in a way, but I think it had more to do with the quality of the movies he and his ilk put out in the 90's than with the differences in physique.

possibly, but i still say it's a fair asessment. either way there still came a point where everyone got tired of "muscle man" heroes. but now, i can see the shift back to guys needing to look the part. if chris hemsworth looked like my chubby ass nobody would wanna see thor.

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

....i wanna see your chubby ass. Stallone on the decline of 80's action heroes Thinking

colossus1979

colossus1979
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Shocked

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum