Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Secret Six

+20
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Aussiemandias
LordD3r3k
LOOSECANNON
comicgeekelly
Fresh03
prescribeddrone
Ben Akers
Batman25JM
The Ignored One
Administrator
shiky800
Joshua
Debaser77
Sci-Fi
BlueMaxx
shining knight
Esbat
alucardbarnivous
rwe1138
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 7]

76Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:09 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Secret Six #19

I mean, really, what can you say about this that hasn't been said for 19 issues? Only that it's a bad read, but then I'd be lying. Right off the bat, Ragdoll reminds us why we love him.

I didn't realize Chesire and Blake had a son. Was this something I just never knew, or a new reveal? Either way, with that ultimatum given, next issue can't get here fast enough Very Happy

77Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:13 am

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

I absolutely adored this issue. I still miss Nicola Scott on this title, but, damn, Califiore can draw!

Ragdoll is quickly becoming one of my favorite current DC characters...right up there with Larfleeze and Damien. I hope Bane has a change of heart about him.

78Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:10 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

I didn't realize Chesire and Blake had a son. Was this something I just never knew, or a new reveal?

I think it was revealed back in limited Secret Six run that set up the ongoing.

Issue 19 was frickin spectacular. Gail got rolling on page one and never let up.

Black Alice and Ragdoll huh? That might be the most disturbing couple that has ever been put together.

79Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:03 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fresh03 wrote:Black Alice and Ragdoll huh? That might be the most disturbing couple that has ever been put together.

"You're beautiful"
"I know"

Laughing

80Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:40 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

Loved it, as usual.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

81Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:03 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This really is one of the best comics out there, at the very least one of the best team comics. Gail Simone manages what a lot of writers can't on team books - she fills the book with action but at the same time includes character development. There's a lot of writers who can only do one or the other, not both.

LordD3r3k wrote:Secret Six #19

I mean, really, what can you say about this that hasn't been said for 19 issues? Only that it's a bad read, but then I'd be lying. Right off the bat, Ragdoll reminds us why we love him.

Either way, with that ultimatum given, next issue can't get here fast enough Very Happy
Totally agree. It's good comics when you can't wait for the next issue. This crew are all screwed up but the dialogue still rings so true to me with how people talk - Catman's and Deadshot's banter at the beginning actually really sounded like 2 guys who enjoy putting shit on each other.

Debaser77 wrote:I absolutely adored this issue. I still miss Nicola Scott on this title, but, damn, Califiore can draw!
I'm the same. I think at first I wasn't giving Calafiore a fair go because I missed Nicola Scott so much (I love her Scandal Savage - but although I don't want to lose her from this title she does seem like a great fit for Wonder Woman) but now I'm really seeing the good work he's doing. I actually think this is some of the best art I've seen from him.

82Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:57 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Aussie, what's a good jumping on point? I've been wanting to buy the trades forever, but still only have Villains United...I never see the others at cons and I often don't see them at Borders when I want to use my 30% off coupons.

I'd like to start buying the book at the very beginning of a new trade...if you know what I mean.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

83Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:08 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:Aussie, what's a good jumping on point? I've been wanting to buy the trades forever, but still only have Villains United...I never see the others at cons and I often don't see them at Borders when I want to use my 30% off coupons.

I'd like to start buying the book at the very beginning of a new trade...if you know what I mean.
Yep, I got ya. This very issue (#19) is the start of a new arc so I'd suggest it's the start of a new trade and a great point to kick off getting the book. Also, I'm thinking that seeing the previous couple issues were BN connected they'll probably be in a separate trade.

If you wanted to go back a few issues, #14 was the end of a major story arc so I think that would be a self contained trade, and therefore #15 would also be a good starting point. #15 and #16 are single issue stories with #17 and #18 being BN crossovers.

84Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:10 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Yeah, 19 is a good, clean-slate jumping-on point. Then you can hunt the back-issues, which is highly recommended.

Not to sound pretentious, but the intelligence of references (Jonestown with a Temple of Doom vibe) and, like Aussie said, combo between what a comicbook should be like in a world with superheroes/supervillains, which is action, and character-development, something you'd most likely get in a non-superhero comic. Really enjoy this title so much.

Ragdoll stole the ish. His empathy and logical thinking is making me wonder what's going on with him. Plus, the whole Black Alice and him as an item? *pulls collar with awkward look* Weird. Heh.

"I wonder what it's like to $&(# a butterfly?"

85Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:12 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Also, I'd forgotten that Cheshire has a two children, one with Catman and a child with Red Arrow. Well, not anymore. Wonder how she feels about that.

Oh, and who was that trio that k.o.'ed her? New?

86Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:56 am

rwe1138

rwe1138

BlueMaxx wrote:
Oh, and who was that trio that k.o.'ed her? New?
I think so.

87Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:13 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

#20 was bloody good times. Literally.

88Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:17 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

After the stunning conclusion of last issue with a pretty big ultimatum for Catman and a torturous month long wait we finally get to see what exactly his choice is going to be.

For those that aren't reading Secret Six, and I have no idea why you aren't, you're missing Gail Simone at her twisted best in one of the most criminally under read books in comic history.

Like a couple of issues ago when we got a close up examination of Deadshot this issue focuses on Catman. as he goes after the men that have his child. Simone completely reinvented this character, at first he was a cheesy Batman villain, but Simone transformed him into a complete badass. I love how she was able to tie his "World's Greatest Tracker" skills into this issue since everyonce in a while you need to be reminded exactly what he's capable of.

As Catman sets off on his own to wreak bloody vengance on the kidnappers we get some resolution to a few of the dangling plot lines, like Bane and Scandal's relationship, but even that sets things up for another confrontation when this mission concludes.

This book is definitely not for the squeemish, the things Catman does are pretty reprehensible, but with his character it's also understandable that this would be his reaction. I was surprised by one thing he did in order to gain the upper hand in a fight, normally he's not that outright heartless, but it makes sense that having been pushed as far as he has that he'd be unwilling to show mercy to anyone who gets in his way.

The art by Calafiore is dark and grim and it fits the tone of the current arc. I miss Nicola Scott on this book but Calafiore does a good job in the mean time filling in and he delivers and enjoyable read by bringing Gail's twisted vision to life.

The only problem I had with this issue was not enough Ragdoll, lol, his insane nonchalant little quips are a monthly highlight for me, although I suppose after last issue's gold mine of Ragdoll'isms I can let this one slide.

Secret Six gets 4/5 missing eyes. I continue to find myself loving every moment I spend in the seedy underbelly of the DC Universe.

89Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:53 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Secret Six #20 was bloody superb. I can't say enough how much I think this is one of the best books out there. Gail Simone has the ability to mix action and character development and I just don't think a lot of writers are good at both (even sometimes at the same time). Catman goes absolutely nuts in this issue and I do not blame him at all. His response to the kidnappers of his child was absolutely fantastic.

The person I have to commend is J.Calafiore. He is just doing wonderful work on this book (I'd love Nicola Scott back but to tell you the truth it makes a lot of sense to have her on Wonder Woman - her style suits that character). The way he drew Catman's absolute fury over the first few pages of this issue was just plain excellent - you could feel every bit of emotion.

And finally....Daniel Luvisi is doing some of the best damn covers around. Month after month on this book. And if you want to see more check out his covers on the Nemesis mini at the moment. Unreal.

Last edited by Aussiemandias on Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total

90Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:24 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

"I guess you didn't want it bad enough" Laughing Damn this is a great book

Fresh03 wrote:
The only problem I had with this issue was not enough Ragdoll, lol, his insane nonchalant little quips are a monthly highlight for me

"I don't know which horrible thing to watch!" Laughing

91Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:29 am

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

LOVED this issue! Can't say enough great things about it. I love how protective Floyd is toward Catman...their relationship is one of the things that make this book so special.

92Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:18 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Can anybody translate the Spanish during the whore murder part?

93Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:45 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Debaser77 wrote: I love how protective Floyd is toward Catman...their relationship is one of the things that make this book so special.

Agreed. It's a great dynamic

94Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Wed May 05, 2010 6:24 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

After Catman began his murderous rampage on the men who supposedly killed his son you really had to wonder how far Catman was willing to go. While he’s by no means a hero he’s nearly always been the most resonable member of the Secret Six, even prone to bouts of heroics now and again, but in this issue we see that once Catman opens himself to his dark side there’s no putting it back on the shelf.

The issue opens with a little of Catman’s origin and we see that Thomas Blake’s childhood wasn’t exactly the happiest of times, we also see where he got his affinity for kittehs. While it was a tad sterotypical for an origin, it was interesting when put into context with what he’s become.

From there the issue takes off as Catman is once again on the trail of another member of said gang. I actully chuckled a tad as I made my way through this issue.

Catman’s the frickin’ ultra violent Batman of Africa. The seedy underbelly of African society speaks of the Cat in the same hushed, terrified, and reverant tones as the criminals of Gotham do about the Bat. I thought that was actually pretty clever on Simone’s part to include this in the issue. They always talk about how Catman went to Africa after getting beat down time and again by Batman and reshaped himself into the World’s greatest tracker, but seeing that he’s instilled fear that great into a criminal society that would put Gotham’s villians to shame was pretty cool. As long as Catman is around there will always be parallels to the Big B, but we start to get some of what actually makes them so vastly different as men.

Back on track, Catman once again crosses lines he normally steers clear of in the book as he rains down his vengence in gloriously bloody fasion and proceeds to drop my one liner of the week on the poor sould who was unlucky enough to be his target.
I’ve thoroughly enjoyed seeing Catman doing his best Bride impersonation over the last couple of issues. It’s a new side to the character and Gail has me interested to see what the reprocussions both of his actions are amongst the rest of the Six and on his own psyche will be once he’s finished his self imposed mission, assuming he lives through it of course.

The rest of the Six make supporting appearances as one group tries to track their friend and teammate while others assemble a new Six to take on an unknown mission. Ragdoll as usual steals every panel he opens his mouth in, but Simone did some great character work with Black Alice in this issue and showed just how unstable and unpredictable she is. Alice is a character that worries just about every magical entity in the DCU and she proves why that worry is justified several times in this issue. One of her magical transformations will make just about any Six fan laugh out loud even if she is borrowing from one of the most dangerous magical beings in the DCU.

The art in this issue continues to be quite good. Calafiore continues some of his best work to date as he lays down sharp images that take full advantage of Simone’s warped and bloody script. The battle between Catman and the gang member is sufficently bloody and brutal to show just how out of control things are getting in this book, which in Secret Six only leads to more twisted fun. I miss Nicola Scott on this book but Calafiore does a good job of making me forget about her as I made my way through the issue.

Secret Six once again proves it’s one of the smartest, funnest, and most twisted books on the market and with the reveals in this issue I can’t wait for next month to see the conclusion of this arc.

If you’re thinking of getting into Secret Six, this probably isn’t the issue for you, either wait for the next arc or go find the back issues for this one, better yet go back to beginning and grab some trades and experience the joy from the start. If you’re a hardcore Secret Six fan like myself this one is everything you expect it to be, which quite simply means it’s consistently one of the best books each month.

Secret Six #26 gets 4/5 *&#%’ed expectations.

95Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Thu May 06, 2010 5:02 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

Yup, great issue. Look, it's Dwarfstar! Very Happy

Anyone else get the feeling Gail really dug Taken?

96Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Thu May 06, 2010 7:04 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Deadshot - "I don't exactly know what normal is, but this is fucked up right?" Laughing

This is such a great series

97Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Fri May 07, 2010 10:34 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This is the best issue of this arc so far, in my opinion.

rwe1138 wrote:Anyone else get the feeling Gail really dug Taken?

Completly agree.

98Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Sat May 08, 2010 3:49 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Read #20 & 21--Oh man, oh man, oh man!!! Love, love, love this title. I fanboyed and nerdgasmed the whole fast-paced reading of both issues just now.

Aussiemandias wrote: The way he drew Catman's absolute fury over the first few pages of this issue was just plain excellent - you could feel every bit of emotion.
yes

prescribeddrone wrote:Can anybody translate the Spanish during the whore murder part?
Issue #20
Rinetti with Elena

Elena: "Oh, Oh. Oh. I love you, but you're an idiot."
Rinetti: "The contrary, I'm very smart, I've conquered, is that not true?"
Elena: "For now."

Elena: "The door, you go, the bed is too warm for me to want to get up."
Rinetti: "You go, Elena. Eh...be careful."

Elena: "May I help you?"
Elena: "Claudio! Claudio!"
Elena: "You can't enter here! Out of my house!"

Rinetti: "You can't enter here! Out of my house! You're not [understandably] shocked/wowed/surprised? You have no idea how many men I've castrated. I'll kill you, pig!"

LordD3r3k wrote:Deadshot - "I don't exactly know what normal is, but this is fucked up right?" Laughing

This is such a great series
Yea, that had me chuckle. The guy's thoughts are already skewed, he just knew that that wasn't normal for Blake, or "normal" people. Catman is going feral with this. And, Floyd made a nod to his first and second mini when it came to Blake not really reaching the Hell's we have. It really reflects what Floyd went through with his son, and sort of like with his daughter.

comicgeekelly wrote:This is the best issue of this arc so far, in my opinion.

rwe1138 wrote:Anyone else get the feeling Gail really dug Taken?

Completly agree.
Secret Six - Page 4 2009-02-04-liamneeson

99Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Mon May 10, 2010 5:28 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I've got to say, yet again, Calafiore is doing wonderful work on this book! I was so bummed with Nicola Scott going but, although I still love her work and would be happy to have her back here, Calafiore is doing the best work I've seen from him here. It's very, very good.

As far as the story goes well it's great as always. I really don't know how Catman's going to dig himself out of this. I tend to think he's not going to be the same guy once this is through and I think Floyd is seeing signs of that.

Not quite sure what's up with Black Alice.

Gail Simone must like King Shark - she seems to use him a lot (usually for comedy relief).

LordD3r3k wrote:Deadshot - "I don't exactly know what normal is, but this is fucked up right?" Laughing
Great line!

100Secret Six - Page 4 Empty Re: Secret Six Mon May 10, 2010 11:53 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ That was one thing that bugged me. King Shark and Lady Vic, after having tried to kill some of the members and King Shark having his arm removed and jaw broken, was fine joining the team. Course, to the highest bidder, I guess. And who knows, maybe this'll be Gail's way of killing some of them or pulling them back into the limelight, with Aquaman, Atom and others returning.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum