Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wolverine: Weapon X

+6
Sandman
shiky800
hrdwrkngXsoldier
Ska
prescribeddrone
LOOSECANNON
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:05 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Wolverine Weapon X #11

Explodes in your face with a new twisty plot. We get to see how Steve really feals about all the blood on Wolvie's hands and we get to see...multiple Deathlocks (not Deathstroke LooseCannon..that is that lame company's character). The book was impressive and interesting from the begining. Basically we have some Deathlocks from the future going around killing the future of the Heroic Age or something. This wolverine is great and it is a title that I look forward too every month.

27Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:39 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Yep, #11 was another great issue, Steve and Logan doing a global pub crawl was one of the best "Welcome Back Steve" issues we've had as of yet.

Aaron's interpretation of Logan is this book continues to impress me, and I don't like Wolverine at all... Outside of this book that is.

Steve and Logan's conversation meanders from funny, to dead on serious, to down right touching as they attempt to drink the northern hemisphere under the table. People have been debating in another thread what Steve would have to say about Logan on the Avengers, well, here's your definitive answer:

Steve will never be comfortable with what Logan has and will do, but he understands him and knows that he's important to the MU not only for his actions, but for what people see in him.

The Deathlocke stuff scattered through the issue was fan'frickin'tastic, it's been a bit since we've seen him used properly and Aaron brings him back onto the scene in grand fasion.

It could have been drawn by anyone and been one of the more enjoyable Wolverine books in the last several years, but Garney delivers a kind of a rough style to the book that fits the tone, story, and characters to a T and that makes it that much better.

Unless you're squeemish about a little blood and gore missing this series is nearly inexcusable, even if you don't like Wolverine normally, like me, this book is absolutely one of the most enjoyable titles Marvel puts out, easily book of the week.

28Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:42 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fresh03 wrote:Yep, #11 was another great issue, Steve and Logan doing a global pub crawl was one of the best "Welcome Back Steve" issues we've had as of yet.

Aaron's interpretation of Logan is this book continues to impress me, and I don't like Wolverine at all... Outside of this book that is.

Steve and Logan's conversation meanders from funny, to dead on serious, to down right touching as they attempt to drink the northern hemisphere under the table. People have been debating in another thread what Steve would have to say about Logan on the Avengers, well, here's your definitive answer:

Steve will never be comfortable with what Logan has and will do, but he understands him and knows that he's important to the MU not only for his actions, but for what people see in him.

The Deathlocke stuff scattered through the issue was fan'frickin'tastic, it's been a bit since we've seen him used properly and Aaron brings him back onto the scene in grand fasion.

It could have been drawn by anyone and been one of the more enjoyable Wolverine books in the last several years, but Garney delivers a kind of a rough style to the book that fits the tone, story, and characters to a T and that makes it that much better.

Unless you're squeemish about a little blood and gore missing this series is nearly inexcusable, even if you don't like Wolverine normally, like me, this book is absolutely one of the most enjoyable titles Marvel puts out, easily book of the week.

and that there is something completely uncharacteristic of Mr. Fresh. We may have a skrull agent amoungst us. Be on the look-out for any more suspicious activity.

This was by far my favorite book of the week too, but I still have some indie's to read so I can't give my vote yet.

29Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:22 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I LOVED #11, my favorite issue so far. I think this book proves that a Steve Rogers/Wolverine book or mini (ala Superman and Batman) would work under a good writer.

30Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:29 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fresh03 wrote:Yep, #11 was another great issue, Steve and Logan doing a global pub crawl was one of the best "Welcome Back Steve" issues we've had as of yet.

Yeah great stuff! I've always loved the relationship between Logan and Steve, and Jason Aaron captured it perfectly in this issue. They have different philosophies yet ultimately the same goals. They've been fighting a nonstop war side by side for a long time and it shows. The Deathlok stuff was cool too. This arc looks like a big winner.

31Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:31 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yup. See my post above ^ Smile

32Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:36 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

prescribeddrone wrote:Yup. See my post above ^ Smile
Haha yup. I would love to see a mini set during WWII telling a Steve/Logan story we haven't seen before. Aaron seems like the perfect writer for that.

33Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:41 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'd buy that, for sure.

Jason is the man. Hell, this is a long shot but I'd trust him with the Marvel U- he proved that he could do a good job. He knows his shit Wink I just tweeted him telling him #11 was awesome Smile

34Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:03 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

I'm not sure I'd trust him with the whole of the MU, but I really don't want to see anyone but Aaron writing a solo Wolverine book.

But yeah, a Wolvie/Cap WWII mini written by Aaron would be fantastic.

35Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:13 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:

Yeah great stuff! I've always loved the relationship between Logan and Steve, and Jason Aaron captured it perfectly in this issue. They have different philosophies yet ultimately the same goals. They've been fighting a nonstop war side by side for a long time and it shows. The Deathlok stuff was cool too. This arc looks like a big winner.

I have to agree. This was a good book. I haven't been following this book but I will now. I certainly will want to look at the stuff before. Overall, good stuff.

36Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:19 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This book is all sorts of awesome.

37Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:23 am

shiky800

shiky800
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

damn it my shop was shorted on issue 11 and i didn't get it. i hope they have it next week

38Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:00 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

W-X #12

Now, I'm entirely convinced Jason Aaron is the only writer capable of making Wolverine appealing again. Many of the hipper, cooler, next-gen fanboys look at this much-adorned Marvel legend as a present-day joke, as he appears about as frequently as every other comic book, many times for marketing, and many times for marketing only. Jason Aaron disregards any of these perceptions, writing the iconic Logan in ways not witnessed. Granted, there hasn't been too many sci-fi elements within Wolverine comic books, perhaps with good reason. Deathlok's very-Terminator presence adds a new element to the Weapon X lore; while not overly ambitious, 'Lok and his menacing multiples are written well.

Jumping off from last issue, this month the book intertwines two timelines, without ever becoming cheesy or overly mechanical (see: current Detective Comics arc). The future and present Wolvie-dealing-with-Death-lok frames contrast Captain America II's shield-hovering bar fight with Future Logan's unsquantered leadership. While not as funny or reflective as last month's re-Cap issue, Weapon X #12 is still wildly entertaining. Once Origins surrenders its presence with issue #50, look for Aaron's take to be the definitive take, and hopefully the only on the wild Canadian Berserker.

4/5 Snikts - Consistently one of the best.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

39Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:51 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Weapon X #12 was great. Very, very Terminator.... but still great.

40Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:53 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Wolverine Weapon X #12

Jason Aaron’s Wolverine continues to be the best book featuring our favorite feral mutant since the original Origins tale. This book is consistently great and makes us reflect back a lot to Wolverine Vol. 1. This issue answers a lot of questions bout what happened in the previous issue. Namely, “Why did all these Deathlocks travel through time to eliminate future heroes?”

They are basically from an alternate future (where Roxxom rules the world) and trying to eliminate the future heroes of their society. Tragic when you realize they have even come back to kill babies. All in search of knocking off the resistance’s general who’s identity is a mystery. I don’t know if this future was picked up from a bad Amalgam crossover that was trashed in favor of Darkclaw because the Logan of this time looks like a cross between Weapon X from Age of Apocalypse and harpoon hand Aquaman. I guess he didn’t keep his ungodly healing factor forever.

Back to 616 though. We find out that they have been moving down there list of targets and that their next target is Bucky Barnes, Cpt. America.

This mysterious woman that has visions of her future and role with the resistance is still kind of a mystery as far as to how these dreams/visions occur.

The book ends and the Deathloks don’t see Wolvie as a threat, and for some reason they didn’t really try to kill Miranda either. More mysteries, more action for sure, and just a good Wolverine book.

3.5 out of 5 Amalgam Rejects

41Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:45 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

I’ll start this review like I do all of my Wolverine reviews:

I don’t like Wolverine, I think he’s over used, over rated, and his continued popularity with such over saturation baffles me to no end.

Now that I’ve said that, Wolverine Weapon X has been an absolute pleasure since issue one. Jason Aaron truly gets Logan’s character and uses him in a manner that even with my dislike of Wolverine I find myself looking forward to each issue of Weapon X. Certain writers should be the only ones allowed to write certain characters in major roles, such as Dan Slott being the only person allowed to use Hank Pym or Gail Simone being the only writer allowed to write Ragdoll. That’s how I feel about Aaron’s take on Wolverine.

Last issue focused on the relationship between Steve Rogers and Logan as Deathloks, as in multiple, went on a murder spree across the globe for unknown reasons and set about trying to eliminate primary objectives, in this case Captain America.

This issue opens in the future and you see a group of renegades, including an older Wolverine who apparently got the Age of Apocalypse treatment on both hands and decided to try out Captain Hook’s sense of style, attempting to stop the Deathloks who have been sent from the future to eliminate certain individuals in the past, by stopping their controllers.

In the present Wolverine gets pointed towards Bucky Cap as the Deathloks next target by the woman who warned him about them last issue and he quickly runs off to help his friend.

Bucky Cap, who in a great moment of character work on Aaron’s part is out on the town eating Shchi and remembering his time as Winter Soldier and living in Moscow, is quickly attacked by the Deathloks but manages to make an escape of sorts and is joined by Wolverine as he arrives on the scene to lend a helping hand.

From there the issue shifts back and forth as both in the future and in the present big fights break out and quickly escalate to all out battles between said factions taking on huge groups of Deathloks.

As I mentioned above, Aaron has been spot on with every character he writes. Wolverine is a no nonsense guy who rushes headlong into danger if a friend needs him, regardless of the consequences, and oh there are some of those in this issue, suffice it to say it’s never been a good idea to take on Deathlok head to head, let alone a small army of them.

I’m a big fan of Bucky Cap, so seeing Aaron’s take on him was a real treat. I love how at ease he’s become in his role as the new Cap while being his own man at the same time. I got a pretty good chuckle at his solution to retrieving his shield that a Deathlok had caught.

There is no good Deathlok story unless his programming starts slipping at some point, and here Aaron uses it quite effectively to deepen the mystery surrounding the woman who has been helping Logan out, I’ve got my suspicions about what those scenes mean, and if Aaron pulls off what I’m suspecting he’s up to I’ll have to take my hat off to him.

Even with all of the action going on Aaron weaves in plenty of surprise reveals about the nature of the situation and the identities of who certain characters are that just made me want to read faster so I could see if my guesses were correct, of course Aaron left me hanging until next issue when this arc concludes, but he's pretty much ensured that I'll be making the return trip.

The art by Ron Garney and colorist Jason Keith does a great job of fitting the tone of book, it’s frantic, and it’s got a dark gritty quality without getting muddled up, and does a great job of conveying what a messy and dangerous world Wolverine exists in.

Overall, this was another great issue from Aaron who has taken Wolverine and set about defining the character for the modern age and has made Weapon X into the only take on Logan I enjoy from month to month. If someone is going to use Wolverine in the book it should be a prerequisite that you sit down and read Weapon X from first issue to last so they can see how to use the character properly.

4/5 missing Wolverine appendages.

42Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:05 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

nice review, bub.

43Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:43 am

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

^^ I don't need your sarcasm Bub, next time I hear something like that I'll go all Second Coming on you and pull an X-23 you won't be so sarcastic when you've got adimantium claws through your forehead!

Just kidding, thanks for that, means allot coming from one of the best reviewers on the site.

44Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:27 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Appreciated.

I liked how you admitted your dislike for MY favorite hero yet you gave credit where it was due, do to Aaron and Garney's brilliance on the run.

Some people will just hate things because they do--no matter what.

45Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:15 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fresh03 wrote:I’ll start this review like I do all of my Wolverine reviews:

I don’t like Wolverine, I think he’s over used, over rated, and his continued popularity with such over saturation baffles me to no end.

Now that I’ve said that, Wolverine Weapon X has been an absolute pleasure since issue one. Jason Aaron truly gets Logan’s character and uses him in a manner that even with my dislike of Wolverine I find myself looking forward to each issue of Weapon X. Certain writers should be the only ones allowed to write certain characters in major roles, such as Dan Slott being the only person allowed to use Hank Pym or Gail Simone being the only writer allowed to write Ragdoll. That’s how I feel about Aaron’s take on Wolverine.

Last issue focused on the relationship between Steve Rogers and Logan as Deathloks, as in multiple, went on a murder spree across the globe for unknown reasons and set about trying to eliminate primary objectives, in this case Captain America.

This issue opens in the future and you see a group of renegades, including an older Wolverine who apparently got the Age of Apocalypse treatment on both hands and decided to try out Captain Hook’s sense of style, attempting to stop the Deathloks who have been sent from the future to eliminate certain individuals in the past, by stopping their controllers.

In the present Wolverine gets pointed towards Bucky Cap as the Deathloks next target by the woman who warned him about them last issue and he quickly runs off to help his friend.

Bucky Cap, who in a great moment of character work on Aaron’s part is out on the town eating Shchi and remembering his time as Winter Soldier and living in Moscow, is quickly attacked by the Deathloks but manages to make an escape of sorts and is joined by Wolverine as he arrives on the scene to lend a helping hand.

From there the issue shifts back and forth as both in the future and in the present big fights break out and quickly escalate to all out battles between said factions taking on huge groups of Deathloks.

As I mentioned above, Aaron has been spot on with every character he writes. Wolverine is a no nonsense guy who rushes headlong into danger if a friend needs him, regardless of the consequences, and oh there are some of those in this issue, suffice it to say it’s never been a good idea to take on Deathlok head to head, let alone a small army of them.

I’m a big fan of Bucky Cap, so seeing Aaron’s take on him was a real treat. I love how at ease he’s become in his role as the new Cap while being his own man at the same time. I got a pretty good chuckle at his solution to retrieving his shield that a Deathlok had caught.

There is no good Deathlok story unless his programming starts slipping at some point, and here Aaron uses it quite effectively to deepen the mystery surrounding the woman who has been helping Logan out, I’ve got my suspicions about what those scenes mean, and if Aaron pulls off what I’m suspecting he’s up to I’ll have to take my hat off to him.

Even with all of the action going on Aaron weaves in plenty of surprise reveals about the nature of the situation and the identities of who certain characters are that just made me want to read faster so I could see if my guesses were correct, of course Aaron left me hanging until next issue when this arc concludes, but he's pretty much ensured that I'll be making the return trip.

The art by Ron Garney and colorist Jason Keith does a great job of fitting the tone of book, it’s frantic, and it’s got a dark gritty quality without getting muddled up, and does a great job of conveying what a messy and dangerous world Wolverine exists in.

Overall, this was another great issue from Aaron who has taken Wolverine and set about defining the character for the modern age and has made Weapon X into the only take on Logan I enjoy from month to month. If someone is going to use Wolverine in the book it should be a prerequisite that you sit down and read Weapon X from first issue to last so they can see how to use the character properly.

4/5 missing Wolverine appendages.

Yeah great review. This story has a whole Terminator vibe to it, which is awesome.

46Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Wed May 26, 2010 6:36 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This arc has been pretty cool and issue 13 keeps the raddness flowing. (Yeah, I just said that, what of it?) Its very rare that I bust out laughing while reading a comic, but Aaron's writing for Spider-Man is hilarious.

47Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Thu May 27, 2010 6:04 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Wolverine Weapon X #13

Jason Aaron continues to write the best wolverine book since the original Origins story. I’m typically not a fan of stories that involve time travel and alternate time lines but I believe he is handling this as well as Peter David did Layla Miller and Madrox over in X-Factor. I wonder what Earth designate this future reality is and how it ties into the way that the Secret Avengers are dealing with Roxxon in their title. I think it is interesting to see that AIM is going to have some competition in the Marvel U now for being the big evil company everybody worries about.

The banter between the Avengers in this book is executed well. I love the parts with Spider Man using Ben Grimm’s catch phrases and the argument between Bucky and Wolverine about if he needed rescued or not. Future Peter Parker also was a nice surprise to see in the issue and has quality dialogue as well.

The Deathloks are still running amuck in the present and the Avengers gather their remaining targets to provide them some protection. They track down the man responsible for the Deathlok troopers and deal with that only to find out that as warned a new evil will always take its place. With that wee see a new power set mixed in to the Deathloks that some may recognize from Aaron’s first story arc of this title. Another interesting thing to note is that the Deathloks seem to have trouble terminating the individual that has been a key to the story, I hope nobody overlooks that slight error code in the story.

This story is action packed and progresses quickly and is well worth the read.

3.5 out of 5 Targets left Breathing

48Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Fri May 28, 2010 12:26 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Issue 13 was fucking AWESOME. This is one of the best Wolverine stories since Get Mystique and Enemy Of The State.

49Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Fri May 28, 2010 12:47 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Weapon X 13:

Yancy Street!
Amazing Friends!

I loved this issue. Future Spider-man was awesome. I'd love to see a character like that in Marvel 616. Give Paladin spider powers. Most of his alternate universe versions seem cool. Laughing

50Wolverine: Weapon X - Page 2 Empty Re: Wolverine: Weapon X Fri May 28, 2010 1:42 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Seriously, if Jason writes New Avengers.... I would not mind.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum