Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Superman/Action Comics

+12
Mnemosis
Foreigner_Man
superdoug
rwe1138
Administrator
Batman25JM
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
LordD3r3k
Bigtymin504
LOOSECANNON
Joshua
Metal Misfit
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 8]

176Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:56 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jaydee74 wrote:Read Superman #706. I really enjoyed this. The story about Perry White and the Daily Planet was really interesting and cool. I'm not sure how I feel about this series at the moment but this issue has me interested in the next one and I guess I'll consider continuing getting the next issue until it no longer interests me. So far, I'm interested.

LOOSECANNON wrote:Surprise of the Week, really. This might've been the best issue of JMS run and it was written by G. Willow Wilson, instead. Perry White has never been funnier, and considering I'm a New Media "mogul" this story deeply interested me.

And it doesn't hurt the uplifting reading that my rooommate is blasting giddy theatrical music in the kitchen while baking cokies.

Agreed. The story that had the least to do with this actual 'journey' has been the most entertaining.

177Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:37 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

Picked up Action #896 because of the Secret Six crossover. Not bad. I loves me some Pete Woods. Although I do wish it left out the back-up and cost a buck less.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

178Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:12 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

the back-up by Nick Spencer is awesome!

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

179Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:09 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Okay, just read Action Comics #896 and I have a problem to announce: this particular issue has forced me to buy 2 additional books. Allow me to explain...

As a major fan of Gail Simone and Secret Six, I've gotten by the past couple years "trade-waiting" Secret Six. It hardly crossed-over, honestly never meant anything CRISIS-wise. In other words, spectacular writing and good, sound art but if you didn't read it, the DC universe didn't change. But NOW, this title concludes the delicious two-parter with Action Comics. Sure, I could wait for the trade to see what happens. Or I could just go back and buy issues 25-28 before next month's issue #29 finishes up the story. This way, I'll have bought all the issue that conclude this trade and won't have to bother picking that up in MAY. Yes, that's a helluva long while to wait. So now, I have a perfectly good reason to join with the rest of you and keep up Secret Six month in and month out. Wulluh!

Secondly, the much-maligned-turned-much-adored backup on Action Comics focusing on Jimmy Olsen is now going monthly. Nick Spencer is easily one of comics' new hottest writers and his take on Superman's best pal has been a trip. RB Silva's art drastically grew on me as well. Perhaps I will "trade-wait" this series too, now that Secret Six is jumping on my pull-list, but it's going to be awfully difficult to wait after seeing that final page.

Oh, and Cornell's preceding story was bad-ass as usual.

4/5 for the complete issue, despite Jimmy Olsen's backup shining brighter once again.

180Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:01 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

LOOSECANNON wrote:
Secondly, the much-maligned-turned-much-adored backup on Action Comics focusing on Jimmy Olsen is now going monthly. Nick Spencer is easily one of comics' new hottest writers and his take on Superman's best pal has been a trip. RB Silva's art drastically grew on me as well. Perhaps I will "trade-wait" this series too, now that Secret Six is jumping on my pull-list, but it's going to be awfully difficult to wait after seeing that final page.
It's not going monthly. Just a one-shot issue that will contain all the back-ups that were going to be used in the future.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

181Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:31 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

haha even better!

182Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:22 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Superman returns in Action Comics #900!

Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Actioncomics900

183Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:30 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Steel #1

This issue kicks off the new storyline "Reign of Doomsday". Last time we saw Doomsday, he was defeated by the Kandorians, held in captivity by the US Government, and was secretly being experimented on by Brainiac & Luthor under the governments authority.

This issue he's rampaging through Metropolis with the sole purpose of luring Steel into the battle. Why? That's uncertain at the moment, but Steel was clearly his target. John Henry Irons launches into battle, but he has no chance of defeating Doomsday by himself, even with this new weapon he built just for this occasion. At the end of the battle, Doomsday leaves with Steel's lifeless body (corpse?).

Next issue ties into the Outsider's which seemed odd. But then I thought about what could the purpose of his arc be? And the one link between the two stories? The Eradicator is currently hanging out in Markovia with the team leader Geo-Force. My guess is that Doomsday is rounding up all the 'imposter' Supermen that appeared during Clark's death. Which means we'll see confrontations with Superboy and Cyborg Superman, which I think will be pretty cool.

Decent enough start to the arc, and I'm curious to see how this is going to play out.

184Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:38 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ah. I was wondering about that. I think this is set to crossover in the JLA as well so that is probably when he'll confront the Cyborg Superman. Gotta say I checked this out and wasn't interested in this. I do know this will crossover into Superboy eventually and I am reading that so I guess I'm going to miss out a big chunk of what's going on when that issue comes out.

185Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:01 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Back to the Steel issue for a moment, I had heard that the original villain Steel was going to be fighting I believe was Parasite. Then this Doomsday story came about and they changed the story to have Steel fighting Doomsday instead. I kind of wonder how the story was going to go.

I didn't buy Superman 707 but I did read it and I'm glad I saved the money. I mean, wow. This needs to end and end soon so we can get a better story. I'm sorry but whatever JMS had planned for Superman should just be abandoned. If he was still writing the book then fine; but since he's no longer doing anything for this book other than having whoever is writing this is using his notes, let us all just move on. This issue was not very good and I stopped caring about this story.

Last edited by jaydee74 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

186Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:30 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ I think his goal seems to be bringing about the separation of Clark and Lois. I have this nagging feeling he's trying to OMD them, but without Joey Q's magic.

187Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:36 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Oh I hope not because it's been done before in Superman where I think one of Superman's villains was impersonating Lois. Might have been Parasite but not 100% sure. This would just be fucking lame.

188Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:26 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Agreed

189Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:46 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

No one commented on Joker "vs." Luthor?

This saddens me.

190Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:53 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ the rematch, since Joker whooped his ass in Salvation Run

191Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:47 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Superman #708

The latest issue at least gave us some idea of where this story might be headed. The appearance by Wonder Woman was kind of interesting too. I guess no one really does remember her. I think they need to flesh out this mystery woman soon though. Right now she's just some random chick with a Superman vendetta. It'd be nice to know why

192Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:31 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I glanced over the latest issue of Superman. I'm done. Don't care.

193Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:45 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Supes was surprisingly good this week...sure it still has its bumps and bruises but far and away an improvement over the rest of JMS' run...I'm edging credit towards Roberson..

194Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:54 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:Superman #708

The latest issue at least gave us some idea of where this story might be headed. The appearance by Wonder Woman was kind of interesting too. I guess no one really does remember her. I think they need to flesh out this mystery woman soon though. Right now she's just some random chick with a Superman vendetta. It'd be nice to know why

Yeah...JMS didn't think that through very well. Diana is in a timeline where she was never Wonder Woman -- and no one remembers her as such despite WW being a founding member of the JLA, yet Donna Troy and Cassie Sandsmark, two current heroes (in two major titles) connected to 'Wonder Woman', still recall and refer to their version of the Amazon Princess. So, WHICH IS IT, DC?? Either NO ONE remembers her, or just certain people don't recall her. MAKE UP YOUR FLIPPIN' MIND.

195Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:00 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

And, because I don't want my head to explode, I'll refrain from pointing out that if Diana never became Wonder Woman in this reality, Donna Troy should have died in a house fire, and Cassie Sandsmark should be living with her mother and finishing her senior year of high school sans powers. Young Justice would have never expanded, and never become the new version of the Teen Titans. Trigon should be ruling the universe, and the Titans of Myth should have razed Themyscira and Olympus years ago.

Without Wonder Woman, literally the world should be in a seriously different state. Not just 'oh, she was just never Wonder Woman and no one remembers her. Nothing else has changed.' WE'RE NERDS. WE TOTALLY GET PARADOX.

Okay. Maybe I couldn't refrain. JMS has just pissed me off.

196Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:09 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Laughing nice

197Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:55 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

headbang

198Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:18 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

A.C. #898

Not quite the high-standard rematch intended, this issue still serves as an amazing penultimate set-up for another epic showdown. Pete Woods fails at emulating the Alf-inspired Larfleeze we all know and love from Mahnke and Gleason's takes with a slight, simplistic demon. Other than that mishap and the whole entire "quick set-up" of it all, Cornell and Woods keep the ball rolling.

Two more issues and the Cape is back.

3.5/5

199Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:20 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Yeah, decent enough. I am growing ever more curious as to what people are seeing in the white energy. Both Joker and Larfleeze want nothing to do with it, that's saying something.

200Superman/Action Comics - Page 8 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:27 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I just finished reading Superman: Birthright. Pretty enjoyable. I liked some developments like Clark & Lex knowing each other when they were younger. And character beats like the Planet staff ditching Clark made you really feel for his isolation. The only thing I would have changed (and DC eventually did) was that Waid used the "S" shield to represent all of Krypton instead of just the House of El.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum