Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Superman/Action Comics

+12
Mnemosis
Foreigner_Man
superdoug
rwe1138
Administrator
Batman25JM
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
LordD3r3k
Bigtymin504
LOOSECANNON
Joshua
Metal Misfit
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 8]

26Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:37 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Tomer Soiker wrote:You were saying...?

evil

Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 115585458_300

Laughing

27Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:47 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

So yeah, did anyone buy Action Comics this past week? I notice other comic websites are now ignoring this book as there are no reviews to be found. The problem I guess I find with this series, is that if it doesn't involve some type of event or crossover, it gets lost among the myst that is now Blackest Night & Batman Reborn. It'll be fun to read once I decide to sit down and read all these World Against Superman books in one setting.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

28Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:38 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah, I bought Action Comics last week. I quite liked it.

Nightwing and Flamebird are now on their third costumes since debuting. They can't seem to make up their minds.

I did like the new costumes. I thought it was weird that Thara was wearing the S Shield on her belt. It's not her family crest. I get why Chris is wearing it since Clark adopted him. Oh well, I guess she wants to wear it as a symbol.

It was cool to see Jax-Ur. I'm not that familiar with him outside of Superman: TAS.

29Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:28 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Superman #694

I actually really enjoyed this issue. I'm really liking Mon-El (I still think he needs a better super hero name). I love the addition of the S Shield to his costume. I thought it looked kinda plain before, but now it's kinda cool.

30Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:29 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Superman #694

The problem with this book is that it's a book revolved around a costume. That's fine if it's someone's debut issue, ala Clark Kent wearing the cape for the first time, but if it's just a different color uni, what other substance is there? Is there more meaning to this uni other than Mon-El just becoming more aggresive? I certainly didn't see a didn't demeanor when speaking to the folks of Smallville.

Of course we root for this underdog character; I mean, who the hell else could take Superman's place? And while his dialogue with Conner lacks, it was definitely nice to see these two speak at a poyant pace.

I'm hoping, I'm really hoping that this overall inconsistent status quo of World Against Superman has a spellbounding finish. Other than just Superman swooping down from the sky and crushing General Lane's face in. Okay, maybe that is what we want. Nevermind.

2.5/5 Red Capes - Standard Fair

31Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:48 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Superman: World of New Krypton #10

The first half of this maxi-series was a lot better than it is now, but its still solid. This issue was a pretty interesting murder mystery with guest star Adam Strange. We also got some Guild action after all the Thanagarian/Saturnian hoopla. I feel like this book lost focus on what made it interesting in the beginning: the Guilds and Supes/Zod. But it seems like they might get back to that in the last couple issues.

32Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:01 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Superman: World of New Krypton #10

This series now has me in a constant battle with myself. I, for one, have loved the whole idea of Supes becoming general of New Krypton from the get-go, along with much of it's execution. Where this maxi has been going or intends to go lately--I have no idea. Quite frankly, it's a mess. Right now we're at issue #10 with only two (supposedly) left to go and now Rucka & Robinson want to begin a murder mystery? I'm not sure whether this series is taking a step back or just hitting a brick wall.

Don't get me wrong, this is all riveting stuff, especially with that key final page. I just feel like too much of this maxi has branched out into other story elements that could've been told later, or that the gest of this series is way off track. Having Adam Strange on board is helping though.

As for the art, you know what? Pete Woods has been getting too much crap as of late. When the story was rolling, I actually heard a few critics/bloggers speak about how right his penciling is for the series. Now he's the next Greg Land. Sure, his personifications vary from panel to panel but I can't help but see improvement in this issue over the last few. Much of the credit goes to Randall and the inkers for keeping this series as colorful and bright as a sci-fi movie would. I won't forgive Woods for the strange panel-placement, as I had to read too many panels over and over just to make sense of what the heck was going on.

This issue thankfully got us back to the matter-at-hand, so I'm hoping this "murder mystery" is just a device used to push the pace towards a conclusion.

3/5 Bags&Boards - An improvement in some areas, but not without its problems.

33Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:26 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Superman #695

Ok. For a while I was worried. The Superman books were starting to get bad. Bad in terms of Superman books which means mediocre. More so, I was afraid this Mon-El character was starting to become a complete waste of time. This issue of Superman proves a last chance worth living for Mon, even so much to say it's his shining moment. I was afraid this issue would be a senseless beat-'em-up with Mon punching Parasite on the cover. It's a fun little fight that doesn't last too long, and in this case that works wonders.

What the rest of the book does, besides contain highly improved widescreen images by Bernard Chang, is display Mon-El's newfound aggression rather than talk about it (other than one mention); with the story then going on to place the hero into all folds of the status quo. In this issue, having a World Against Superman finally shows some of the high stakes, it puts a lot of pieces together, and concludes with a fairly good ending that divies into a nice little crossover. And crossovers, for this status quo at least, have been a godsend. It's not often that happens, but when Superman combines with Action Comics, things get a little more interesting. Let's hope this jump in quality continues next month.

3.5/5 Matching Red Pants - Certainly better than the last few issues.

34Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:08 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:Superman: World of New Krypton #10

This series now has me in a constant battle with myself. I, for one, have loved the whole idea of Supes becoming general of New Krypton from the get-go, along with much of it's execution. Where this maxi has been going or intends to go lately--I have no idea. Quite frankly, it's a mess. Right now we're at issue #10 with only two (supposedly) left to go and now Rucka & Robinson want to begin a murder mystery? I'm not sure whether this series is taking a step back or just hitting a brick wall.

Don't get me wrong, this is all riveting stuff, especially with that key final page. I just feel like too much of this maxi has branched out into other story elements that could've been told later, or that the gest of this series is way off track. Having Adam Strange on board is helping though.

As for the art, you know what? Pete Woods has been getting too much crap as of late. When the story was rolling, I actually heard a few critics/bloggers speak about how right his penciling is for the series. Now he's the next Greg Land. Sure, his personifications vary from panel to panel but I can't help but see improvement in this issue over the last few. Much of the credit goes to Randall and the inkers for keeping this series as colorful and bright as a sci-fi movie would. I won't forgive Woods for the strange panel-placement, as I had to read too many panels over and over just to make sense of what the heck was going on.

This issue thankfully got us back to the matter-at-hand, so I'm hoping this "murder mystery" is just a device used to push the pace towards a conclusion.

3/5 Bags&Boards - An improvement in some areas, but not without its problems.

The convenience of Zod resuming his position at that critical moment leads me to believe that my assumptions that he's been behind these acts (as well as his own attempted assassination). That crafty bastard..

35Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:02 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Superman: World of New Krypton #11

I enjoyed this issue a lot more than the last couple ones. They've gotten back to the inner politicking of New Krypton's Council and Guilds. The murder mystery stuff has picked up too. Looking forward to seeing how this series ends and transitions into War of Supermen later on.

36Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:10 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Superman: WONK #11

Wow. Ever read a book you loath but love the ending? This issue was a long political conversation, lacking the sort of action we're accustomed to in our Superman books, especially with the arrival of Captain Atom being so apparent. I really wanted these 2 to team up and take names. Hasn't happened. The whodunit is sorta stale when you realize it's Zod who's behind the whole thing from the get-go. I'll admit, the assassination attempt was interesting and helped push Kal-El towards General status. After that, the book has floundered.

The art isn't all that very good anymore either.

But did I mention I loved the ending?

3/5 Super Capes - An interesting albeit mundane issue that contains way too many arguing guilds and not enough of a push towards the Kryptonian/human war. There's one issue left, so there's optimism.

37Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:33 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

AC #885

Yay. We're finally going somewhere with this storyline. Sure, the art remains a little too cartoony for something so serious--a Doug Mahnke or Ivan Reis would be more suitable, but who's to take them away from Blackest Night?--and there's several pages with nothing but people standing around talking. Even worse, Nightwing basically recites 2-3 full paragraphs while fighting off Lane's army. Yeah, okay!

So what's so good? I guess the notion that the fortcoming issues, leading into the War of Supermen, are finally going to give us a sense of what the hell's going on. This whole sleeper agent stuff has really bogged down the plot's movement, and finally the picture is clear. A lot of the dialogue might be a little heavy-handed but it's still engaging, especially between Lois and her father. Nightwing and Flamebird are highly likable, as well. That's never changed. As for the back-up, the art is pretty damn cool. The guy's name is Cafu, why wouldn't it be? I was starting to worry with all these JLA characters appearing when all these other events are happening, but including the whereabouts of Zatanna helped sooth my continuity issues.

3/5 Bags&Boards - Another nothing more than a 1-time good read from Action Comics--a series that started off so well--but it's going places. If the next issue doesn't, it's over for me.

38Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:48 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm still enjoying the Superman books. Things may have slowed down a bit storywise, but in the grand scheme of things it makes sense. There's no need to have a Superman event trying to compete with Blackest Night. So while BN is running, build the groundwork for the big moment.

Plus, I think it's a merit to the creative teams to keep the books going this long without the main hero and still be entertaining.

39Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:49 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

While a lot of my Superman reviews haven't been of the highest scores, most of them still receive 3-3.5's..so it's not like they've been downright terrible.

I agree with everything you're saying, LordD3rk. That's why I still buy them.

40Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:02 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:While a lot of my Superman reviews haven't been of the highest scores, most of them still receive 3-3.5's..so it's not like they've been downright terrible.

I agree with everything you're saying, LordD3rk. That's why I still buy them.

Plus, from the previews I've seen in books, I'm really interested in seeing what's to come for Supes and crew. Looks like there's a Super-person joining the Outsiders crew, which has my interests piqued.

41Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:08 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I actually really enjoyed AC #885. I'm loving Nightwing and Flamebird.

I didn't like the backup at all though. I thought it sucked. I don't know what's going on with Robinson, but he's just not putting out a lot of quality right now.

42Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:33 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Superman #696 - Hey! This was actually good! What a shocker... I headed into reading this issue wth utter disdain only to find myself pleasantly awed. The World Against Superman story is actually going somewhere, and telling by the absence of comments on this book I'm sure none of you had any idea. The art is what made this enjoyable for me, with Bernard Chang reverting more to a sketchy-penciled style than some of the bland watercolor crap we've seen in the past.

Also, the repurcussions for dealing with Lane's army have arisen. Lois is really in the thick of it this time, reuniting with son Nightwing being the highlight. Also, maybe for the 1st or 2nd time ever, Mon-El is a bad-ass. Why couldn't he have been this whole time? He's always been interesting, but it never all came into fruition. James Robinson has been getting a lot of flack as of late, and he should, considering how amazing Starman was and how horrendous JLA is, but I'm happy to report that his script gets it done here, no matter how barebones.

There's a reason why I never drop this book. Because as soon as I do, it gets good. I guess having patience pays off, sometimes.

3.5/5 Bags&Boards - I really want to give this a 4, but then I know it'd only be because of how mediocre this series has been as of late. I'm hoping this quality continues.

43Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:22 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Superman #696 was good. I'm liking Mon-El more and more.

44Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:58 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Superman: World of New Krypton #12

Well a decent ending to this book, but nothing spectacular. I thought the answers to the mysteries weren't that great. This maxi-series started off really promising but ended somewhat lackluster. Although I am liking the new civil relationship between Supes and Zod. Hopefully War of the Supermen is good.

45Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:03 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Superman: World of New Krypton #12

What can I say – it’s a sad day in Smallville. Not simply for the fact this long-winded maxi is finishing, seeing how we’re still hit with the obvious cliffhanger at issue’s end; but more so due to the soaring potential of the maxi giving way to disruptive crossover threads and obligatory guest spots. Maybe I’m being a little harsh, considering Codename: Patriot was actually pretty functional. With World of New Krypton likely outselling or at least grabbing more attention than its sister titles Action Comics and Superman, the mini-event showcased Metropolis’ new substitutes Mon-El, Nightwing and Flamebird reacting to a catastrophe with Kal-El at their side. It’s just that Greg Rucka and James Robinson began to lose focus once all the crossing over was finished, never reestablishing their initial goals of spotlighting this new planet and how Kal would react to his newborn leadership. Rather, Kal’s guise appeared feeble, unsophisticated, and second-rate compared to General Zod.

In this concluding issue, what should appear to be a frantic race for celestial supremacy turns into an all too standard ‘whodunit’ conversation between Zod and Kal-El. Don’t get me wrong, I’m enjoying the creators’ improved characterization of Zod from two-dimensional baddie to man among his people. I’m even glad he didn’t turn out to be the obvious culprit at the end. Even so, the conclusion is unsatisfactory.

Speaking of disappointing, James Robinson’s been receiving a lot of flack on various message forums as of late. If you’re a seasoned DC follower the odds are you know about his exceptional, prolific run on Starman. Some even go so far as to saying it’s the best character work in comics of all time. While I’m a little biased towards Alan Moore’s Watchmen, I can’t argue with those sentiments. It’s just sad to see such a promising creator not keep up with his end of the bargain. His recent work on JLA has been horrendous, his Mon-El-featured Superman is adequate at best, and I’m wondering whether New Krypton’s second-half tilt in quality was his own doing. Greg Rucka’s track record speaks for itself.

Before my tangent on Robinson forces me to forget about the artwork, I should mention that Pete Woods and Ron Randall step it up in their sketching. In no way will this performance allow us to forget that DC’s finest are currently working on Batman and Green Lantern-related titles, but the extra effort placed into angles, shadowing and panel placement is a huge improvement over recent issues. With that said, the artists failed at taking advantage of one particular scene in which New Krypton turns war-torn to “beautiful.” While the Kryptonians are saying it, the viewers aren’t able to witness this discovery other than a page or two. Better luck next time.

Where does Superman's status quo go from here? Thankfully the next crossover/mini, The Last Stand of New Krypton, is only a few issues in length heading into the War of the Supermen. But can a free book in May give New Krypton any hope? Will anyone care by then? I’m sure comic’s all-time celebrated super hero is wondering the same thing.

2.5/5 Bags&Boards - It feels like my whole review has been a final say, for a series I had such high hopes for, that didn’t have the widespread expectations of a Batman Reborn or Blackest Night, still came up empty. No one’s talking about Superman these days, and it’s up to DC to find out why before it’s too late.

46Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:10 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Superman: World of New Krypton #12

Well a decent ending to this book, but nothing spectacular. I thought the answers to the mysteries weren't that great. This maxi-series started off really promising but ended somewhat lackluster. Although I am liking the new civil relationship between Supes and Zod. Hopefully War of the Supermen is good.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I'm still very interested in seeing what's in store for Superman, but yeah, this could have been better.

47Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:15 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Action Comics....how is the new issue?

I didn't get my books today due to inclement weather, so if this issue stinks I'll pass on it....please help!

48Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:11 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Superman #697

Wasn't going to get this, but since the last issue was surprisingly strong and it's the last issue before heading into the crossover with Adventure Comics and Last Stand of NK, I said why not.

And you know what? It's not bad. It actually seems like Robinsoon took his time writing this, as much of the dialogue surrounding the "Espionage Squad" is entertaining and does well enough to push the story bits. For my Previews the next few months, I didn't bother checking the boxes next to any Superman-related titles--this side of Secret Origins--but if things start to pick up, I might just have to change my mind.

This is a step in the right direction.

3/5 Bags&Boards - Doesn't seem like a high score, but the mostly set-up issue was a lot more enjoyable than expected. Might even convince me to pick up Adventure Comics this week; we'll see.

49Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:11 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Superman #697

This was okay. Noting great, but much better than Robinson's other stuff lately.

50Superman/Action Comics - Page 2 Empty Re: Superman/Action Comics Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:28 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm surprised to see the Legion being so active in this time period. I wonder if this somehow ties into Johns' arc he did where Earth became pretty xenophobic. I wonder if this is either a lead into that direction, or perhaps the Legion trying to stop that from happening.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum