Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Iron Man

+13
TheeDoctorWhoHasDreads?
Batman25JM
gangsternerd
THALASTDRAGON
Sir Not
Aussiemandias
Rath99
LOOSECANNON
prescribeddrone
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
shiky800
Bigtymin504
Administrator
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

76Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:18 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I actually quite enjoyed the Annual. Mandarin has been off the map for awhile now so it was nice to see what kind of a-hole he is again lol...although I did think he came off a bit too petty in this. But a solid read overall.

Yeah that Ezekial Stane connection with the Hammer daughter caught me by surprise in #28, definitely a nice little twist. I love how Fraction has been methodically building this story for years now.

77Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:28 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Invincible Iron Man #29

I'm going to be honest this issue did absolutely nothing for me. Looking back, I don't think this book has ever really done anything for me. I've liked certain bits, but overall, I just don't really care much for it. I think I talked myself into liking it because I like Iron Man.

I'll probably continue to get this book, but it's just very meh for me.

78Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:24 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:Invincible Iron Man #29

I'm going to be honest this issue did absolutely nothing for me. Looking back, I don't think this book has ever really done anything for me. I've liked certain bits, but overall, I just don't really care much for it. I think I talked myself into liking it because I like Iron Man.

I'll probably continue to get this book, but it's just very meh for me.

That's really interesting you say that because I'm just starting to find the book grating on me a bit. Not completely sure why. Certainly I've never been a fan of Fraction's dialogue and the last couple of issues it's been getting to me a bit. I think he's a bit of a try hard - tries so hard to make the dialogue sound natural that it sounds unnatural or, alternatively, tries too hard for the dialogue to sound cool and clever.

On top of this I'm finding this latest story arc not terribly interesting. It feels to me that Fraction has lost a bit of interest in this title and maybe it's time for a change.

And to continue with the criticism, while Larroca's tech looks fantastic and is a key element to art on this title, I feel the rest of his work on the book has dropped off in quality.

Not sure I'll be getting this much longer. I'm just bored with it.

79Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:39 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

The last couple Iron Man issues have been dreadfully slow, but I like to see where this is all going. The Detroit Steel confrontation should be huge...Stark messing with the younger Hammer chick is going to be nearly as explosive...he's playing it so smart it's ridiculous...Fraction's meticulous writing style is sure to turn off some, but those who quit now are going to be missing out on some sure goodness.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

80Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:44 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Invincible Iron Man #30

I've decided to drop this book too. I've liked a lot of this run by Fraction (especially when I dislike most of his other work) however I'm finding myself bored with this now. I feel like we're seeing the same things over and over again (in fact I think Fraction has structured every story arc virtually the same way) so much so that I'm finding this book now pretty dull and uninspired.

I seriously enjoyed this for most of the run but I actually really feel this book is now in need of a creative change. But, hey, that's just my opinion.

81Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:38 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:Invincible Iron Man #30

I've decided to drop this book too. I've liked a lot of this run by Fraction (especially when I dislike most of his other work) however I'm finding myself bored with this now. I feel like we're seeing the same things over and over again (in fact I think Fraction has structured every story arc virtually the same way) so much so that I'm finding this book now pretty dull and uninspired.

I seriously enjoyed this for most of the run but I actually really feel this book is now in need of a creative change. But, hey, that's just my opinion.

I'm right there with you. I just feel very blah about this book now. I haven't even read the latest issue yet. I just don't have any enough desire to do it. I too think I'm dropping the book.

82Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:48 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

You guys are out of your bloody god damn minds...

IIM #30

This is easily the best issue of Iron Man in several months. Fraction finally ignites the metallic juices and let's the playboy do his thing--both sexually and violently--all the while figuring out the means to this new Hammer. It's no surprise who it is, though it's not just in the name. You'll see, following an electrically-paced joyride through the desert. Stark doesn't quite get the dessert, he wants, either. The art's beautifully rendered, which should put a muzzle on some of LaRocca's doubters at least for a few weeks. Those facial descriptions definitely push story, stick away from actor depictions, and convey the struggle both Tony and Justine have with their own desires.

This title appears to do no wrong.

4/5

83Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:50 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Invincible Iron Man #30

This really did nothing for me.

I can't believe Sasha would be so stupid as to engage in a public fight.

The art is just meh for me anymore. It isn't bad, I just don't dig it like I used to. Iron Man and Rescue look way too similar.

I can't take Fraction writing "The Iron Man" anymore. It's annoying the hell out of me.

I don't think I've said this before, but the name Detroit Steel is just dumb.

I definitely want to drop this book. I may try and stick it out for the rest of the arc, but I doubt it.

84Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:58 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:Invincible Iron Man #30

This really did nothing for me.

I can't believe Sasha would be so stupid as to engage in a public fight.

The art is just meh for me anymore. It isn't bad, I just don't dig it like I used to. Iron Man and Rescue look way too similar.

I can't take Fraction writing "The Iron Man" anymore. It's annoying the hell out of me.

I don't think I've said this before, but the name Detroit Steel is just dumb.

I definitely want to drop this book. I may try and stick it out for the rest of the arc, but I doubt it.

Yep, it feels like a title sorely in need of a creator change to me. As we previously discussed, it started out really fresh with Fraction taking a great approach to the book but, for me, I'm just feeling like it's stale now and Fraction's got nothing new for us.

85Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Agreed.

86Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:28 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Invincible Iron Man #31

This is my last issue and I've mentioned the reasons why previously. It just feels stale to me now and I've really come to the conclusion I don't like Matt Fraction's writing (I kind of had before when I dropped other books he was writing but decided to stick with this one).

In summary, I thought the first half of the series was actually pretty good but the second half just kind of became a bit dull for me and seemed like the same story regurgitated over and over. I really think Fraction drags his story arcs on way too long (for the content he has in them).

As for the current storyline, I really think if Stark was threatening to introduce a free fuel source for vehicles, he'd have a whole lot more coming after him than just the Hammer girls.

87Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:04 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^I'm in the same boat about not enjoying it, and I want to drop it, I just can't. I don't know why. I think I just want to finish this arc, and then I'll drop it.

88Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:17 pm

Foreigner_Man

Foreigner_Man
Ninja
Ninja

I just read Iron Man 25-30 and..

Matt Fraction! Don't you ever leave this book!

I never enjoyed Iron Man very much. I haven't read too much of his stuff, but the early Stan Lee stuff seemed a strange blend of military and superhero that went back and forth, sometimes working, sometimes not. I couldn't get myself to read Extremis (it just didn't seem too interesting to me), and the animated Iron Man movie reminded me of what works and what doesn't with that character, and I didn't care for it that much. Then the movie hit, and I saw what people got in the character. I tried out Iron Man again, and started digging Fraction's run. I got mostly caught up this morning with those issues, and I can happily say I'm still digging this run. Fraction balances the strange blend of science-fiction, superhero, and military-- also throwing in some James Bond spy stuff-- very well, like a good smoothie. The whole thing seems very classic fun Marvel to me, and I'm loving it. The new suit is cool, a bit creepy, but cool; and it's nice to see that instead of getting rid of Extremis, he pushes ahead with it. His characterizations are great..his Tony isn't being written as RDJ, instead throwing it in with regular Stark. My biggest complaint is how old is Justine Hammer? The last time I saw her was in Cable and Deadpool and she didn't seem as old as she's drawn here.

And Salvador Larroca's art is perfect for this book. I was a bit undecided when I first saw it, but now i'm on board.

Also I read the Annual, and enjoyed it as well. Like Iron Man, I never really got the Mandarin until I read this. He's pretty cool..a bit sleazy/ Sinestro like, yet with the arrogance and over the top-ness of Doctor Doom. I can't wait to see him clashing with Tony.

89Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:38 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I actually kinda enjoyed Invincible Iron Man #32. I don't know if I enjoyed it enough not to drop the book after this arc though.

90Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:46 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

For all the cynics who claim "nothing ever goes on" in an Iron Man book, take a few peaks at issue #32. It's high-octane from the get, as all the supporting Stark Resilent characters are in full force. Detroit Steel, for once, makes a presence worth noting--other than his shiny get-up--and the straits have never looked more dire. Fraction's certainly holding down the fort in two of the major Marvel books. Is he getting enough credit?

91Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:22 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Just caught up on the last few issues and have to wholeheartedly disagree with you guys, Aussie and Bats. I'm with FM and Loose on this one. Sure this book is a slow burn, but really that's how it's been since issue 1 and it's worked IMO. Frac has a great handle of all these characters and their relationships to Tony. Plus, things have gotten even more interesting now with the potential seeds that have been planted for this top secret thing. The conclusion to this arc with #33 should be wild...then there's #500 in January which is promising some big revelations...

92Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:25 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

#500 teaser

93Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:02 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

#33 was a good wrap to this arc, with a nice little reveal at the end that brings things from the beginning of this series full circle. Mandarin is about to finally strike!

#500 should be damn good, I hear the premise behind it is to imagine it's an actual #500 to the current series. So the story would have had progressed 467 issues into the future. Pretty cool.

94Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:01 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

I love this book every month, hence my award.

Don't understand the "Fraction dialogue" thing with this series. I feel like he's got the whole Robert Downey Jr. voice of Stark down pat and a little of the technical yarns in the series are quite genius. Nice to see them preview the Iron Man 2.0 in this ish, as well.

95Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:22 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Invincible Iron Man #33

I want to like this book, I really do, but I just don't. I'm bored as hell when I read it.

I'm not even loving the art anymore. I think Larroca's humans look pretty awful. The armors are still pretty good for the most part (though there are some problems I have with them).

I don't know if I've mentioned this before or not, but I find the idea of people controlling drones with their cell phones utterly ridiculous. And how in the hell will none of these people come forward and say what they did? I mean, after seeing the news they'd have to know what happened.

I'm sticking with this book, but only god knows why.

96Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:23 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Invincible Iron Man #500

I enjoyed this issue. Seeing Tony and Spidey working together was great and we got a grim look at the potential doomed future with Emperor Mandarin. Will be interesting to see all these seeds grow in the coming months.

97Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:22 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Invincible Iron Man #500

God I couldn't stand this issue. It was torture to read. I guess I'm going to just have to come to the conclusion I don't like Matt Fraction's writing. I really think the best option is for me to drop this book. I'm not enjoying it, so I'm basically wasting my money, forcing myself to read it, and then coming on here and dumping all over a book that others love. I don't get pleasure in doing that, I just don't like this book, and I have to vent my frustrations.

I threw up in my mouth a little when Peter got back to Tony's place before him and had to hid his identity. I had forgotten that Tony didn't know who Spider-Man was. God I hate that. I hate how OMD screwed their relationship.

98Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:10 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I thought this was okay, but I agree with you on Peter coming home before Tony... that's just unfathomable. Tony has a suit that can go as fast as a jet... Peter can web swing at most...

yeah.

*I bought this for the milestone number. I like to get them for the most part. Hope Fear Itself is more interesting, though. This looked like it should be awesome- with the fucked up future and all but it just seemed a bit slow paced.

99Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:17 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

After a lot of soul searching which included sitting on the beach and staring out at the waves while sad music played I decided to drop Invincible Iron Man. I just don't care for it, and I'm tired of bitching about it. I may start getting it in trade, we'll see.

100Iron Man - Page 4 Empty Re: Iron Man Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:14 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:After a lot of soul searching which included sitting on the beach and staring out at the waves while sad music played I decided to drop Invincible Iron Man. I just don't care for it, and I'm tired of bitching about it. I may start getting it in trade, we'll see.

But was there a montage of the time you and Invincible Iron Man had spent together while you stared at those waves?

I went through it all a couple of months back so I know things might seem tough at the moment but you've done the right thing. One day, you'll see, some new comic will appear on the scene that tickles your young fancy and it will be like you and Invincible Iron Man had never met. Unless of course Invincible Iron Man turns out be some crazed, stalker ex-comic that haunts every waking hour of your life - then you're in trouble.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum