Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wonder Woman

+10
jaydee74
shining knight
prescribeddrone
Metal Misfit
Foreigner_Man
LordD3r3k
Batman25JM
LOOSECANNON
Bigtymin504
rwe1138
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

51Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:54 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:Wonder Woman #600

I have to say, after reading JMS' mission statement I'm looking forward to his run. I can see where this direction change would upset WW fans, but I'm just not the biggest WW fan, and this new direction sounds kinda interesting now. I agree with what JMS said, WW is kinda stuffy, so this change could prove a good thing. Though, I have no doubt that after JMS is done with the book they'll retcon things back, but whatever. I also have to say that I LOVE the new costume.

I also think the new direction is interesting. The costume will have to grow on me simply because it's Wonder Woman. She's an Amazon and the costume just doesn't scream "Amazon Warrior Princess" to me. Of course if your not as into her, the changes don't much matter to you as opposed to someone who is a bigger fan.
Batman25JM wrote:
The Gail Simone story was just meh for me. I have no idea who that girl was so it didn't mean much to me. I will say though that George Pérez's art is awesome. I LOVED his Supergirl. I am curious though, does Pérez ever draw a book without having at least one panel featuring at least a dozen heroes? Laughing

I loved this story. The George Perez art was great but again, it comes from the fact you didn't read any of the George Perez run on Wonder Woman. The girl was introduced in his Wonder Woman run and let me just say that his run of Wonder Woman is in my opinion the essential Wonder Woman. Forget the fact that the art is gorgeous. The stories are amazing and totally brings in Greek Mythology into the story. Think superhero "Clash of the Titans".
Batman25JM wrote:
The Amanda Conner story was just meh. However, that cat of PG's was cute.
I loved this story too. Not sure why they needed to add Cassie Cain to the story but whatever. Loved the story and I am in love with Amanda's art.
Batman25JM wrote:
The Geoff Johns thing was pretty much a non story, so I don't really have any comments on it.
It wasn't so much a non-story as it was an intro to the JMS story. It was interesting.
Batman25JM wrote:
Louise Simonson's story was fine I guess.
I liked it. I have always like the interaction between Superman and Wonder Woman and it was a fun little story.

52Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:58 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I found the stories pretty passable, but some of that pin-up art was just gorgeous.

Last edited by LordD3r3k on Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

53Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:03 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jaydee74 wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:
The Gail Simone story was just meh for me. I have no idea who that girl was so it didn't mean much to me. I will say though that George Pérez's art is awesome. I LOVED his Supergirl. I am curious though, does Pérez ever draw a book without having at least one panel featuring at least a dozen heroes? Laughing

I loved this story. The George Perez art was great but again, it comes from the fact you didn't read any of the George Perez run on Wonder Woman. The girl was introduced in his Wonder Woman run and let me just say that his run of Wonder Woman is in my opinion the essential Wonder Woman. Forget the fact that the art is gorgeous. The stories are amazing and totally brings in Greek Mythology into the story. Think superhero "Clash of the Titans".

I may have to look for some of Pérez's run then.

jaydee74 wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:
The Geoff Johns thing was pretty much a non story, so I don't really have any comments on it.
It wasn't so much a non-story as it was an intro to the JMS story. It was interesting.

True, true.

LordD3r3k wrote:I found the stories pretty passable, the some of that pin-up art was just gorgeous.

Agreed.

54Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:27 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The pinups were amazing. My favorite was the Phil Jiminez. Loved it.

55Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:53 am

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Wonder Woman #601

This issue was okay I guess. I didn't hate it, but there wasn't anything about it I really liked.

I do still love Wonder Woman's new costume though.

56Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:29 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

601 was quite interesting. I was very interested in the fall of Paradise Island and the way Diana's mother died was quite moving. I didn't realize that Wonder Woman wouldn't be the only Amazon to make it out alive and now she is on the hunt to find her Amazonian sisters and continue to learn how to use her powers. The dream she had was also quite interesting. I am curious as to the end game JMS has for this character and where he intends to go with it. I guess I am on board with this for now.

57Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:27 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The fact this is an alternate reality makes me feel better about these changes. The new costume isn't bad, but again it's just too similar to Black Canary. At any rate, considering my LCS sold out of this issue, I take it interest has been piqued!

58Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:19 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Wonder Woman #602

I gave this a chance, but honestly, I'm not really digging it. I'm 99% sure I'm dropping it. I've just become much less tolerant of books I'm not enjoying. A year ago I'd keep buying a book I wasn't enjoying in the hopes it would get better, out of loyalty to the character, or because I wanted to know what was going on. I just don't feel like doing that anymore. Sure, there are some exceptions, but now if I don't like a book I don't feel like wasting my money on it. I'm not really a Wonder Woman fan anyway. So, yeah, this is probably it for me.

The issue itself just did nothing for me. I do still like WW's new costume, but the story just bores me. I could barely get through it.

59Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:37 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This was ok. I'm just not as interested in what JMS is doing with this story. I hope it's doing ok but I'm not as into it. I might check it out eventually in trade but I'm just not feeling it.

60Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:09 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

JMS has always been the slow-burn type of writer, so here's hoping the payoff is worth it

61Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:55 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I picked up #601 to check it out. I was partly thinking this was the start of JMS's run but obviously that must have been in #600 (which may be troublesome to pick up). Is this right? Is much of #600 devoted to the start of JMS's story?

I have to say I actually found the story intriguing and the art to be very interesting. Kramer did the recent JSA vs Kobra mini series and his work looked pretty good if a little inconsistent there but this WW issue was really way beyond that previous work of his.

I think I'll check out #602 also - if this grabs me enough I might pick it up regularly. I must say though this story of find the Amazons who are scattered around the place reminds me somewhat of JMS's Thor arc.

62Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:03 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I picked up #600 and #602 now and I have to say I'm actually pretty interested in JMS's storyline here. Enough to pick up the title regularly - so I'm now a new reader! And Don Kramer's art is really good even if he does draw Diana a little too slim (if that makes sense - most artists draw her a bit more solid these days).

63Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:16 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Well, considering she's supposed to be a bit younger, I don't mind her being a bit slimmer. The story is pretty interesting.

64Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:49 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Wonder Woman #603

I'm still interested in the story and I like that we're meeting what seems to be one of the main antagonists next issue. Art was a bit off this issue but hopefully that's just a temporary thing.

There's still plenty of mystery about the book - interesting that the Cerberus left WW alone when she went to pass him. All very intriguing. One thing I'm hoping is that when all this is over that Diana retains some of her former exoticness and nobility she previously had. I think that's part of what makes her (in the past) a bit different to other super-heroes (kind of like Thor over at Marvel).

65Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:53 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

What made this book merely above-average to me is the mere overabundance of titles using Hel/Hell as the backdrop. I suppose in ways it's no fault to JMS that Wolverine, and Thor (and for those re-reading Sandman) that those titles are (ab)using this all-too attractive landscape, but regardless we're not getting much here other than the usual. Diana is punching monsters and making promises, only to be surprised by more eclectic hellish beings. If I didn't love JMS on everything else, this may have been dropped. Despite that notion, I'd hold off on the "bring back Simone!" chants for at least another few issues. The author's track record speaks for itself.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

66Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:59 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Wonder Woman #604

I thought this was the best issue so far although the exposition at the beginning felt pretty clunky. The scene where Diana starts to fly for the first time was beautifully done and then getting the lasso....I'm starting to see signs that she's slowly becoming the Diana we know.

I'll be interested to see who these villains are (because it appears there are more than one to me - the henchman talk as if there's more than one) but it seems to me that they may be gods of some kind.

It would be nice if Kramer could draw the entire issue in future.

67Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:53 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

I slowly starting to catch up on WW and the only thing I keep thinking is...I miss Simone!!

68Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:42 pm

Brian Cunningham

Brian Cunningham
Cadet
Cadet

To everyone who has given the book a try, I personally thank you. We knew going into this that it would be controversial, but that's simply not a good enough reason not to try something new. We left ourselves open for criticism, so it's our responsibility to do quality work. I feel we have, but ultimately that's out of our hands, and it's up to you to judge the work based on its merits (or lack thereof).

Stick with it, guys. We'll start seeing Easter Eggs of iconic WW stuff very soon...

BC

69Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:17 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thanks for posting Brian. I've been curious about the story and have checked it out and while different, it's been interesting enough. I will say I am curious to see where it's all heading so I'm in. Also, I totally forgot you were on the boards. Hope you stop by more often.

70Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:03 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

As one of the larger supporters of the Wonder Woman title on the forums I can't help but feel disappointed... Is JMS' running away from criticism? His Amazing Spider-Man and Thor are among my favorite runs of all time. I don't know why he sped off from the Superman and Wonder Woman titles so quickly, but maybe DC Comics just isn't the right fit. He's basically the Albert Haynsworth of comic books.

Big time free agent, little contribution.

And the Superman graphic novel didn't exactly receive raving reviews either, so why shift the focus squarely on that?

scratch

71Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:36 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:As one of the larger supporters of the Wonder Woman title on the forums I can't help but feel disappointed... Is JMS' running away from criticism? His Amazing Spider-Man and Thor are among my favorite runs of all time. I don't know why he sped off from the Superman and Wonder Woman titles so quickly, but maybe DC Comics just isn't the right fit. He's basically the Albert Haynsworth of comic books.

Big time free agent, little contribution.

And the Superman graphic novel didn't exactly receive raving reviews either, so why shift the focus squarely on that?

scratch

From everything I've read it doesn't sound like he's running away from them. Just seems like he'd rather focus on non-monthly projects. That being said, I think it's a bit ordinary to leave in the middle of such major storylines - in my view, Thor never seemed like it finished properly and hasn't The Twelve never been finished? - this is kind of a bad habit. I realise that he's being attributed with continuing to plot WW but I still think it's kind of bad form. I don't know the whole story of course but that's just my external point of view. It's disappointing.

Anyway....on to WW #605.

I thought this issue was pretty good actually. I'm really getting into this storyline now and I'm sure Phil Hester can carry it just fine using JMS's overall story design. Something really clicked for me with this issue and now this whole storyline is very, very interesting. It's sort of like you have to forget a bit of what things were like before and if you focus on this story that's going on it's actually a pretty good one. Certainly doesn't seem like something that should be resolved quickly either as it has a huge amount of potential.

The little links to the previous WW we get hints of are also intriguing (such as the action figures we saw this issue). Are they just throw away moments or is there some memory of the past still around? Well we know members of the old JLI remember the old Wonder Woman. In fact it would probably be a great moment when they meet this Wonder Woman.

72Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:03 am

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

yeah it's not bad...was it just me or was the art off--I noticed they used 3 different pencilers this time but I found some of the faces on this new HOT Diana wayy off and even grotesque Very Happy

73Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:24 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I thought the latest issue was actually pretty good. The scene with Phillipus pulling the arrow out of Diana gave me a chuckle, and the fight with the Centaur was cool. The dialogue is alittle stiff though. They shouldn't be afraid to loosen that up abit

74Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:00 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Agreed, wholeheartedly. Thankfully, Hester has turned over this series.

Funny how JMS' ideas are being carried better with him no longer around.

Like Albert Haynesworth and the Redskins, DC and JMS is a bad fit.

75Wonder Woman - Page 3 Empty Re: Wonder Woman Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:53 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

WW #606

LordD3r3k wrote:I thought the latest issue was actually pretty good. The scene with Phillipus pulling the arrow out of Diana gave me a chuckle, and the fight with the Centaur was cool. The dialogue is alittle stiff though. They shouldn't be afraid to loosen that up abit

LOOSECANNON wrote:Agreed, wholeheartedly. Thankfully, Hester has turned over this series.

Funny how JMS' ideas are being carried better with him no longer around.

Hmmm...I'm not seeing a discernable difference with JMS not writing the script and I actually thought he was doing a very good job before hand.

I'm really starting to enjoy this book a lot. I think WW always works best when it's based on mythology and this storyline obviously heavily relies on that. The whole mystery of what has happened here, the little signs of the former WW that we all know - these things are adding up to a very interesting and enjoyable read for me. Not entirely happy about the fill-in art though.

And I agree, LordD3r3k, Diana's fight with the centaur was excellent - really showed that WW gets down and dirty a lot more than other super-heroes would (actually I don't think this character at the moment even qualifies as a "super-hero").

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum