Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

I just read The Killing Joke for the first time...

+13
Silent K
KingConan93
blue halo
FroZen
superdoug
Esbat
Justin
shining knight
Debaser77
rwe1138
Administrator
Joshua
TENIME_art
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

TENIME_art

TENIME_art
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

...not bad. I could see how people would say Alan Moore is a good writer after this. Not so much Watchmen or V for Vendetta, but this story was great.

Your thoughts on the fucked up tale of the Joker?

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I've always really dug it. It was the first thing I ever read by Alan Moore, and I've yet to read anything by him I have not enjoyed. You should definitely read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Of the stuff I've read by him, it's my favorite. His Swamp Thing work is really good stuff too. While I do like Watchmen, I agree that it's not the greatest comic book ever and it's certainly not Moore's best.

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

I like TKJ, but I think it's overrated. Watchmen and League of extraordinary Gentlemen are much better stories.

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

TENIME_art

TENIME_art
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

See, I thought Watchmen was highly overrated. tongue

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

I don't think it's the perfect, "best perfect comic book" thing people made for over two decades, but it's possibly the greatest achievement so far in using comics language to its full potential in telling a story.

rwe1138

rwe1138

Killing Joke is probably my all-time favorite Joker-centric story.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

TKJ is second only to Year One for the best Batman story in my book.

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Fun fact

The killing joke came about because a Judge dredd/batman crossover which was to be written by wagner/grant and drawn by bolland fell through.

Dc needed to plug the hole in the schedule and thus the killing joke was born

Justin

Justin
Pirate
Pirate

I think the artwork should have been a lot darker.

Esbat

Esbat
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

All I can say is that it gave birth to Oracle. Other than that I could take it or leave it.

http://realityfugitives.com/

Debaser77

Debaser77

Esbat wrote:All I can say is that it gave birth to Oracle.

I'm no Whitworth, but I'm pretty sure Jim Gordon's wife did that.

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Debaser77 wrote:

Wrong. Post-Crisis, Barbara was the daughter of Jim Gordon's brother, Roger, and was adopted by Jim and Barbara Gordon when she was 13, after her parents were killed in an alcohol-related car accident.

Now, pre-Crisis, you'd be right. Wink Very Happy

Debaser77

Debaser77

superdoug wrote:
Debaser77 wrote:

Wrong. Post-Crisis, Barbara was the daughter of Jim Gordon's brother, Roger, and was adopted by Jim and Barbara Gordon when she was 13, after her parents were killed in an alcohol-related car accident.

Now, pre-Crisis, you'd be right. Wink Very Happy

I stand corrected. Fuckin' DC and their Crises. shake my head

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Wasn't it later changed that Jim was actually her father? And didn't he adopted her after leaving his first wife and son for another woman? Or all of this is pre-Crisis? Or I'm making things up?

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spidey_82 wrote:Wasn't it later changed that Jim was actually her father? And didn't he adopted her after leaving his first wife and son for another woman? Or all of this is pre-Crisis? Or I'm making things up?

I think that's the pre-Crisis version, or was learned to be what actually happened. According to the DC Wikia, and the Barbara Gordon entry for New Earth:

Barbara Gordon was born the daughter of Roger C. Gordon and his wife Thelma in the suburbs of Ohio. Even as a young girl, Barbara wanted nothing more than to be a super-hero. Her best friend Marcy and she would spend endless hours designing super-hero costumes and heroic identities for themselves. At this precocious age, the seeds of Barbara's future crime-fighting career began to foment.

When Barbara was 13, her mother and father were tragically killed in an automobile accident (due largely to her father's drinking problem). Barbara adjusted as well as she could. After the accident, her uncle, James Gordon, adopted the orphaned Barbara. James Gordon and his wife (also named Barbara) lived hundreds of miles east in Gotham City, where James worked as the police Captain. Barbara immediately became infatuated with the gothic city's most legendary phantom of the night – the Batman.

Barbara had become completely obsessed with the Batman and learned everything that she could about him. One evening, she snuck into her father's private home office to discover him engaged in a secret conversation with the Batman. Barbara had no idea that her adoptive father was actually worked with this mysterious dark knight. Her obsession with Batman only intensified.

Debaser77

Debaser77

Well I know for DAMN sure she ain't Alfred's neice.

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Debaser77 wrote:Well I know for DAMN sure she ain't Alfred's neice.
Laughing

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Well I know for DAMN sure that TKJ is a damn fine book. As far as greatness...eh..its good but I don't consider it great.

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Debaser77 wrote:Well I know for DAMN sure she ain't Alfred's neice.

WORD.

TENIME_art

TENIME_art
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Laughing

blue halo

blue halo
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Killing Joke was a great read. Loved this take on the origins of Joker. Moore's writting on this story was great, unlike Watchmen. Don't get me wrong, the overall story of Watchmen was good, it just had far too much detail/needless dribble. A lot of stuff that didn't drive the plot forward all that much. Filler, really.

TENIME_art

TENIME_art
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Kind of like V for Vendetta? Wink

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

V for Vendetta bored the fuck outta me.

KingConan93

KingConan93
Cadet
Cadet

I've had so many opportunities to read V, but I always decide against it. The Killing Joke however, is my favorite Alan Moore story, I love that book so hard! Laughing

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

I plan on doing a "Noob Revue" of TKJ next month.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum