Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anime vs. Manga

+6
JessJupiter
BlueMaxx
Spider_Fan14
shining knight
alucardbarnivous
Ska
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Anime vs. Manga Empty Anime vs. Manga Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:00 am

Ska

Ska
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

What series are better as an anime? or manga? Or maybe both ways are equally awesome?

I loved the Trigun anime. I hated the manga though. The art just didn't do anything for me, plus I feel like I lost the humor in it with the manga.

Rosario Vampire's manga is amazing. The anime is very well done, but there seems to be 300% more fan service in it. As a girl, it gets annoying seeing panties flash every 5 minutes. "Like, okay I get it!!! There's her underwear, great!!!"

Anyways, discuss!

http://www.myspace.com/kristinellenamarie

2Anime vs. Manga Empty Re: Anime vs. Manga Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:20 am

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

As a general rule of thumb, I find the manga version of things better than the anime. For example, I loved the Tenjho Tenge manga, but the anime was quite insignificant in comparison.

http://blog.myspace.com/alucardbarnivous

3Anime vs. Manga Empty Re: Anime vs. Manga Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:03 pm

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

one piece is miles better as an manga

4Anime vs. Manga Empty Re: Anime vs. Manga Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:37 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

i find in a couple cases the Death Note manga works better as that compared to the anime. A notable case was the proxy Kira Teru Mikami's fate in the book VS anime, i liked the book version better. I'd say what it was but i don't know what button spoiler is.

5Anime vs. Manga Empty Re: Anime vs. Manga Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:46 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I find most mangas to be B&W. Sometimes they're backwards, which is idiotic. I mean, if they take the time to translate the script...just whatever on that point. This is basically like asking if books are better than the movie adaptations. In some cases, I'm sure manga can get away with more stuff than a show or movie, but I'd prefer anime.

I've personally found manga difficult to get into. Out of online and miscellaneous bookstores, I've found Priest can hold my interest and that is it. Given, have yet to get my hands on the Cowboy Bebop or Outlaw Star ones. Can't remember which, but I think one of them was just episodes retold in manga form or some deal?

6Anime vs. Manga Empty Re: Anime vs. Manga Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:47 am

Ska

Ska
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

BlueMaxx wrote:I find most mangas to be B&W. Sometimes they're backwards, which is idiotic. I mean, if they take the time to translate the script...just whatever on that point. This is basically like asking if books are better than the movie adaptations. In some cases, I'm sure manga can get away with more stuff than a show or movie, but I'd prefer anime.

I've personally found manga difficult to get into. Out of online and miscellaneous bookstores, I've found Priest can hold my interest and that is it. Given, have yet to get my hands on the Cowboy Bebop or Outlaw Star ones. Can't remember which, but I think one of them was just episodes retold in manga form or some deal?

The Cowboy Bebop manga is pointless, there's only 3 volumes.

Manga has to be read from right to left, actually one of the ways you can tell if manga came from Japan or somebody here is if the binding for it is on the right. Reason being, if you were to flip it so that it did read from left to right, you would have to rearrange the frames on the page, and they aren't all even. Actually, I think the only way you could do it, is do a mirror image of the page, so technically you'd be looking at it backwards from what it was originally made to be. Then they'd have to translate and fill the words in. Which can also translate into us having to pay more for the books. Too much damn work, so deal with it.

7Anime vs. Manga Empty Re: Anime vs. Manga Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:35 pm

JessJupiter

JessJupiter
Pirate
Pirate

Ska wrote: Too much damn work, so deal with it.
Seconded and agreed. (BlueMaxx, the following is NOT directed at you, but instead to all the people that I hung out with in high school that didn't read manga) I hated having to explain that to people. Sorry, dudes, I know we live in A-Murh-icka and things should be easy for us cause we're the best country ever, but manga and anime are Japanese art forms.

http://www.jessjupiter.webs.com

8Anime vs. Manga Empty Re: Anime vs. Manga Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:09 am

Ska

Ska
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

JessJupiter wrote:
Seconded and agreed. (BlueMaxx, the following is NOT directed at you, but instead to all the people that I hung out with in high school that didn't read manga) I hated having to explain that to people. Sorry, dudes, I know we live in A-Murh-icka and things should be easy for us cause we're the best country ever, but manga and anime are Japanese art forms.

YUS!

I don't even bother reading stuff in the manga section if the binding is on the left. If it's American, I don't want any part of it. Generally, I've found I didn't really like the stories anyways. XD

9Anime vs. Manga Empty Re: Anime vs. Manga Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:00 pm

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

A-Murh-icka

heh I need to use this more often when talking to american friends. Seriously though Manga should be experienced as intended not this flopped bull that used to appear a lot in the uk

10Anime vs. Manga Empty Re: Anime vs. Manga Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:00 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ska wrote:
JessJupiter wrote:

YUS!

I don't even bother reading stuff in the manga section if the binding is on the left. If it's American, I don't want any part of it. Generally, I've found I didn't really like the stories anyways. XD
That's a pretty silly way of looking at things. Japanese art form doesn't mean that others can't make it.

And, Ska, you won't read a manga if the binding is on the left? That's...asinine. tongue That's like saying you don't like using straws unless they're "silly". Laughing
Also, the reversal thing...when they do a translation, they reprint the entire series, so why not do an opposite binding? I just did a rough gander at left binding and right binding, and they're roughly the same, but in certain instances, the left binding is cheaper, while right binding stays at about $10 each.

11Anime vs. Manga Empty Re: Anime vs. Manga Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:29 am

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

BlueMaxx wrote:
That's a pretty silly way of looking at things. Japanese art form doesn't mean that others can't make it.

And, Ska, you won't read a manga if the binding is on the left? That's...asinine. tongue That's like saying you don't like using straws unless they're "silly". Laughing
Also, the reversal thing...when they do a translation, they reprint the entire series, so why not do an opposite binding? I just did a rough gander at left binding and right binding, and they're roughly the same, but in certain instances, the left binding is cheaper, while right binding stays at about $10 each.

Actually BM, changing the binding was the most difficult part of bringing a manga to the states for the reasons Ska noted before the Naruto/Bleach boom where original binding was maintained. It's labor intensive, often involves requesting the original artist to make changes that just won't transition (which is hard if their artstyle changed or they're dead), the headache caused by shifted word balloons (in Japan, text and panels are read top to bottom then right to left while in the US it's left to right then top to bottom)... it was a huge nightmare, from when Marvel did it for Akira, First Comics with Lone Wolf and Cub, or for Dark Horse and their vast efforts such as with Blade of the Immortal and Ghost in the Shell. Not only was it time consuming, it cost a great deal. One of the selling points of today's manga is its price (7 chapters, or issues, in one volume for $10 vs America's five or six issues in one volume for $15); in yesteryear, manga was reformatted to fit American comic shape (often stretching images) where two to three chapters made a single B&W issue for $5, the majority of the price went to reformatting. So yes, changing the binding is a practice better left in the past.

12Anime vs. Manga Empty Re: Anime vs. Manga Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:09 pm

Ska

Ska
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

alucardbarnivous wrote:
Actually BM, changing the binding was the most difficult part of bringing a manga to the states for the reasons Ska noted before the Naruto/Bleach boom where original binding was maintained. It's labor intensive, often involves requesting the original artist to make changes that just won't transition (which is hard if their artstyle changed or they're dead), the headache caused by shifted word balloons (in Japan, text and panels are read top to bottom then right to left while in the US it's left to right then top to bottom)... it was a huge nightmare, from when Marvel did it for Akira, First Comics with Lone Wolf and Cub, or for Dark Horse and their vast efforts such as with Blade of the Immortal and Ghost in the Shell. Not only was it time consuming, it cost a great deal. One of the selling points of today's manga is its price (7 chapters, or issues, in one volume for $10 vs America's five or six issues in one volume for $15); in yesteryear, manga was reformatted to fit American comic shape (often stretching images) where two to three chapters made a single B&W issue for $5, the majority of the price went to reformatting. So yes, changing the binding is a practice better left in the past.

We win. king

13Anime vs. Manga Empty Re: Anime vs. Manga Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:36 pm

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Boom! Roasted.

14Anime vs. Manga Empty Re: Anime vs. Manga Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:16 am

shiky800

shiky800
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

[quote="shining knig
agreed but i like seeing the fight scenes in the anime

15Anime vs. Manga Empty Re: Anime vs. Manga Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:29 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

So, the panels go right to left, too?

16Anime vs. Manga Empty Re: Anime vs. Manga Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:45 pm

Ska

Ska
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^^^^^^yes. If you look at the back pages of any manga book, it will tell you how you're supposed to be reading it.

17Anime vs. Manga Empty Re: Anime vs. Manga Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:53 pm

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

BlueMaxx wrote:So, the panels go right to left, too?

Depends: sometimes top to bottom and right to left, other times right to left and top to bottom.

18Anime vs. Manga Empty Re: Anime vs. Manga Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:31 am

Esbat

Esbat
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

A friend in college game me a couple of original Jump weeklies when he got back from visiting his grandparents and cousins in Japan. It has like fricken Yu-gi-Oh!
in it before any american kid was aware of Yugioh existing. Anyways i really loved looking at the art and how you could follow most of the stories in those thin papered, telephone directory style mags without understanding a damn thing they were saying.

The only manga I ever cared for were the Battle Angel Alita books and Ranma 1/2. I liked reading Gunnm/Battle Angel american style but preferred Ranma in the reverse reading order.

http://realityfugitives.com/

19Anime vs. Manga Empty Re: Anime vs. Manga Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:28 pm

JessJupiter

JessJupiter
Pirate
Pirate

Ska wrote:YUS!

See, I'm not partial, I'll try most forms of graphic art out, but I've found that American made manga is much more teenage-oriented. I always feel like its trying really hard to be 'edgy'. Although, I do love Dramacon! Smile

shining knight wrote:heh I need to use this more often when talking to american friends. Seriously though Manga should be experienced as intended not this flopped bull that used to appear a lot in the uk
Haha, see, that's the hard part! I can understand it partly being hard to understand at first and wanting to have it be a breeze to read (like how we naturally are able to read comics, because they're MADE for English speakers/readers), but at the same time, take a few seconds, and put forth the effort to try and understand the translation! Someone worked hard to make it slightly cohesive for us Mericans.

Esbat wrote:A friend in college game me a couple of original Jump weeklies when he got back from visiting his grandparents and cousins in Japan. It has like fricken Yu-gi-Oh!
in it before any american kid was aware of Yugioh existing. Anyways i really loved looking at the art and how you could follow most of the stories in those thin papered, telephone directory style mags without understanding a damn thing they were saying.

Haha, what I like about stuff that's fan translated as opposed to being republished for English speakers, is that it keeps the integrity of the story. Japanese storylines are much more adult!

http://www.jessjupiter.webs.com

20Anime vs. Manga Empty Re: Anime vs. Manga Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:27 pm

Esbat

Esbat
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Adult = Sexy Good Times, yes?

http://realityfugitives.com/

21Anime vs. Manga Empty Re: Anime vs. Manga Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:23 pm

Ska

Ska
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Esbat wrote:Adult = Sexy Good Times, yes?

Not for you. *smacks your paw*

22Anime vs. Manga Empty Re: Anime vs. Manga Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:17 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Alright! Did you guys go out, or is Esbat that creepy?

Ska wrote:^^^^^^yes. If you look at the back pages of any manga book, it will tell you how you're supposed to be reading it.
alucardbarnivous wrote:
BlueMaxx wrote:So, the panels go right to left, too?
Depends: sometimes top to bottom and right to left, other times right to left and top to bottom.
Hrm. Now that I think about it, I knew that the downward writing was a formal way of calligraphy, but forgot. Weird. I've still found that the ones that have kept their backwards-ness are normal price or higher, while not the case a lot of the times with left-to-right printing.

("Those aren't real mangas, then." Not true. They were.)

23Anime vs. Manga Empty Re: Anime vs. Manga Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:00 pm

ChrisToPhenom

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Anime or Manga...oh, how dare you, Ska?

I guess Anime but Manga is nothing to poke at.

24Anime vs. Manga Empty Re: Anime vs. Manga Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:00 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I guess it depends on what anime or manga is being talked about but I've found that I enjoy mangas a bit more. I do wish mangas were in color but I completely understand why that is not the case and the trouble it would cause.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum