Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

American Jesus

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1American Jesus Empty American Jesus Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:14 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

While I wouldn't consider Image particularly independent, this seemed like the best forum for this.

This week the first volume in Mark Millar's American Jesus trilogy, Chosen, was released and I'm here to say that it's really good, regardless of your theological alignment. It takes the concept of Jesus returning to Earth as promised during His resurrection and sticks it in the early to mid eighties in America. How would non-religious people react? How would religious people react? I can't comment much on the book without giving too much away, but Millar does a great job of setting things up only to drop a pretty big bombshell at the end, completely turning everything on its head. It's only $10, so if you can find a copy I highly recommend giving it a shot.

2American Jesus Empty Re: American Jesus Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Foxy

Foxy
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Wait wait, I'm way out of the loop here so please bear with me..

Image is releasing a trade to Chosen? Dark Horse originally put out the series, when did it become Image's property? And has this always been planned to be part of a trilogy? I don't remember hearing anything about American Jesus when it first came out.

Anyway, thanks for posting this! I only have the first issue of Chosen, I never could find #2 or #3 so I'll definitely be picking this up. Smile

http://www.foxyart.net

3American Jesus Empty Re: American Jesus Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:11 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Honestly, I'm not sure how the rights got worked out, I just remember looking for back issues of Chosen years ago to no avail, so I jumped at the chance to get all three issues in one shot. As far as Millar planning it to be the first part of a trilogy, here's an awesome interview with him about the whole thing: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/030925-American-Millar.html

4American Jesus Empty Re: American Jesus Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:19 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

IIRC, it was always intended to be a trilogy. It's been a while since I read it, but I loved Chosen. The ending knocked me for a loop. I'm eagerly anticipating the next two parts of the story.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

5American Jesus Empty Re: American Jesus Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:24 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

rwe1138 wrote:IIRC, it was always intended to be a trilogy. It's been a while since I read it, but I loved Chosen. The ending knocked me for a loop. I'm eagerly anticipating the next two parts of the story.
No kidding. That ending worked so well for so many different reasons. I wish I could delve into it, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

I think one thing that I find so appealing about this book is that Christians and non-Christians alike can read it and take some enjoyment from it (provided those Christians don't mind Millar's trademark blue language). That seems to be a rare thing with entertainment that deals at all with Christianity; it usually seems pretty polarizing.

6American Jesus Empty Re: American Jesus Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:11 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

I only read Chosen #1 (found it in a quarter bin several years ago) and it was good.

Millar always owned the title and characters, so he just moved with them to another company. It's not that rare of a thing (see Powers, Kabuki and Fear Agent).

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum