Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Watchmen 2?!

+26
shark6495
Nymn
Joshua
elijahdprophet
Thundermatts
Spider_Fan14
The Ignored One
Tom
melvinlikechris
shining knight
supervenom
Lee
Heytherejeffro
jaydee74
Debaser77
Aussiemandias
Administrator
Bigtymin504
Foreigner_Man
comicgeekelly
LOOSECANNON
BlueMaxx
MikeSabian
prescribeddrone
Metal Misfit
Rath99
30 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

51Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:54 am

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

[quote="Aussiemandias
All I saw was a bunch of people that have said they would like a much loved book left alone. I think they're entitled to it. Watchmen is a little bit different to a lot of stuff out there in the world of comics. If you can't see that and can't see why the possibility of other creators touching it would upset people who love the book then I guess you never will.

As for the Sherlock Holmes and Frankenstein examples, I think you'll find that the continued use of those characters by other writers happened well after the original writers had left this world and no longer had control of their characters.[/quote]

I meant to school you days ago, but it slipped my mind until now. But no, that's not true. J.M Barrie wrote a short story featuring Holmes in 1893. mark Twain featured him in a story in 1902. The list goes on and on. Keep in mind that Doyle himself owned the character, as opposed to Watchmen, which is owned by DC, not the writer. So, you criticize someone else later in this thread for bringing up moot points, but it seems you've been the worse offender.

52Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:12 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ James Bond got the same treatment. The movies and junk novels that followed the original dozen books and short stories by Fleming.

The thing about this being bad is that its setting revolved around the era in which it ended. To stray backwords--which seems the only feasable way to do things without recreating the universe with the same characters like Ultimates or what have you--would undermine the original story created. Again, I'm not saying it couldn't be alright, but it seems highly, highly improbable. And, whether it does mediocre or well, it'll still be chastised till the end of time.

53Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:00 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

To quote Brian Bendis: "Warner Brothers just hired me to write Citizan Kane 2. Seems people just love those characters."

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

54Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:12 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thundermatts wrote:
Aussiemandias wrote:
All I saw was a bunch of people that have said they would like a much loved book left alone. I think they're entitled to it. Watchmen is a little bit different to a lot of stuff out there in the world of comics. If you can't see that and can't see why the possibility of other creators touching it would upset people who love the book then I guess you never will.

As for the Sherlock Holmes and Frankenstein examples, I think you'll find that the continued use of those characters by other writers happened well after the original writers had left this world and no longer had control of their characters.

I meant to school you days ago, but it slipped my mind until now. But no, that's not true. J.M Barrie wrote a short story featuring Holmes in 1893. mark Twain featured him in a story in 1902. The list goes on and on. Keep in mind that Doyle himself owned the character, as opposed to Watchmen, which is owned by DC, not the writer. So, you criticize someone else later in this thread for bringing up moot points, but it seems you've been the worse offender.

Fair enough - I stand corrected. I'll have to fact check my commments in future. However, the criticism I was giving earlier wasn't so much about the person's content but more about what they were using to compare this situation to. I didn't think it was a relevant comparison at all. I wasn't really cricitising them for bringing up "moot points" (and I'm not sure how I could be the worst offender in that regard because I haven't done it - what you probably mean is that I've criticised them for not having facts straight and I'm definitely guilty of that and as you've proven haven't gotten my own facts straight) but more saying if you're going to criticise people just use a comparison that makes sense to the situation.

And I still stand by my argument that just because DC has a right to do this doesn't make it the right thing to do.

55Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:01 am

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The right thing to do? lol, everyone needs a dramaectomy. This isn't genocide, it's comic books. It's superhero characters owned by a comic company, who is toying with the idea of using them.

56Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:01 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

No, it's a much loved piece of work, a classic in the world of comics, that it would upset a lot of people to see "toyed" with. Maybe some people need to learn a little understanding of other people's points of view instead of deriding them for having some damn passion about a thing that they enjoy.

And if you want to talk about people blowing things out of proportion, who's the one who is comparing people being unhappy about the possibility of DC creating a sequel to Watchmen to them reacting to genocide?

57Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:05 pm

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Look, if you're more okay with genocide than comic characters being used by the people who own them, thats your problem. tongue

58Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:33 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thundermatts wrote:Look, if you're more okay with genocide than comic characters being used by the people who own them, thats your problem. tongue

Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Obnoxious

Laughing

59Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:38 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

*pulls collar*

Sure is uncomfortable in here.

*walks out quietly*

60Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:08 pm

Foreigner_Man

Foreigner_Man
Ninja
Ninja

BlueMaxx wrote:And the Lord looked down upon the DC Universe and thus sayeth, "Know me and my ways."
Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Crazy-Alan-Moore
The Universe was flooded and giant psi-squid toppled empires for Him and His Love.
lol! Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 V3plvX2eRqf977jlJUOeGghwo1_400

61Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:21 am

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

BlueMaxx wrote:
Tomer Soiker wrote:http://watchmex.wikia.com/wiki/What_Is_WatchmeX
Laughing
Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 179px-1235340579924
They basically took a Question cover and changed it. tongue
Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Question26cover

I've heard news that this will be difficult to get off the ground. But who knows.
Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Watchmen_babies_simpsons
Just saw this a couple nights ago, and Groening made a point about Moore through his dialogue. He changed Radioactive Man by taking away his powers and making him a heroine addict. Laughing

Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Img-oc2
Little Lulu will grow up to be a high-class call-girl whose series ends with her being suicided by a corrupt senator in a story of conspiracy. lol!

Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 WatchmeX-RedStarOverNewYork

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

62Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:57 pm

blue halo

blue halo
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Seriously? Like, really. Rolling Eyes

63Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:07 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shark6495 wrote:
Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 WatchmeX-RedStarOverNewYork
Is that a real book?

64Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:53 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

I think so. I just googled watchmex and read about it and came across that cover..... thought it was worth posting

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

65Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:54 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Huh... what...?!

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

66Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:20 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The worst comic sequels possible.

67Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:42 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

BlueMaxx wrote:Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Watchmen_babies_simpsons
Just saw this a couple nights ago, and Groening made a point about Moore through his dialogue. He changed Radioactive Man by taking away his powers and making him a heroine addict. Laughing

Actually, Matt Groenig hasn't written an episode himself since probably the first season. The episode you're referring to was written by Matt Selman, one of the show's executive producers. Wink

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.

Interesting fact: Groenig created the Simpsons for the Tracy Ullman Show because he didn't want his Love Is Hell characters (which FOX wanted) to be watered down into something he didn't love anymore.

68Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:51 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

superdoug wrote:
Actually, Matt Groenig hasn't written an episode himself since probably the first season.
And if you really want to nitpick (which I tend to), he only worked on two or three episodes and it was always with collaboration with other writers.

69Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:15 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Didn't know that. But are you saying that he doesn't even help out with writing?

70Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:39 am

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Read in the latest Wizard that the rumors are still going on and if true, they picked creative teams for an spinoffs. The premises sounded nice but I stil don't want a sequel.

71Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:42 pm

deadbolt85

deadbolt85
Ninja
Ninja

If they do end up doing a spinoff/sequel, which I hope they don't, by the by, but if they do make one, I'd like a Minutemen-centric prequel.

72Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:10 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

deadbolt85 wrote:If they do end up doing a spinoff/sequel, which I hope they don't, by the by, but if they do make one, I'd like a Minutemen-centric prequel.
That'd be the most creatively sound idea, I wouldn't mind it.

73Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:04 am

Foreigner_Man

Foreigner_Man
Ninja
Ninja

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2010/07/alan-moore-rejects-dc-rights-offer-i-dont-want-watchmen-back/

Alan Moore, whose tumultuous relationship with DC Comics is legendary, claims the publisher offered this week to return the rights to his most famous creation -- in exchange for a concession.

“They offered me the rights to Watchmen back, if I would agree to some dopey prequels and sequels,” Moore told Underwire today. "So I just told them that if they said that 10 years ago, when I asked them for that, then yeah it might have worked. But these days I don’t want Watchmen back. Certainly, I don’t want it back under those kinds of terms."

Rumors circulated earlier this year that the departure of Paul Levitz as president and publisher of DC cleared any in-house obstacles to further use of the Watchmen characters. However, Co-Publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee tell Underwire the company "would only revisit these iconic characters if the creative vision of any proposed new stories matched the quality set by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons nearly 25 years ago, and our first discussion on any of this would naturally be with the creators themselves."

Moore, who created the groundbreaking 1986 miniseries with Gibbons, stopped working for DC in 1989 following disputes about Watchmen royalties and a proposed age-rating system. When WildStorm, which published Moore's America's Best Comics line, was sold to DC in 1998, the writer was assured of an editorial firewall protecting him from the parent company's interference. However, there were still conflicts, most infamously the pulping of The Legion of Extraordinary Gentlemen #5, which contained an authentic vintage advertisement for the Marvel-brand douche.

Moore, who has refused royalties from film adaptations of his work, says he no longer even has a copy of Watchmen in his house. "The comics world has lots of unpleasant connections," he tells Underwire, "when I think back over it, many of them to do with Watchmen."

If this is true, I hope DC decides to stop after Moore's rejection.

74Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:30 pm

colossus1979

colossus1979
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

they won't. the 2 bigs (marvel,DC) think they are like the banks and are too big to fail, and frankly i'll ADMIT i wanna see maybe a prequel, but not if he's not gonna be at the helm. but the reality is, they made money off the movie, and they still are making money off of all the stuff surrounding the watchmen. i never saw a night-owl or dr. manhattan statue until the damn movie came out. i never saw that "human bean juice" button on every single emo backpack in america until the damn movie, other than the movie and the trade i won't even consider buying any type of watchmen merchandise, because i don't wanna fuel the machine. but at this point, it doesn't even matter. and if GL makes the ton of money iknow it will, we'll see a sequel watchmen comic, movie....they'll try and option some adult cartoon...after too long it'll be "watchmen 3:the rise of molloch" or some silly shit...mark my words.

75Watchmen 2?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Watchmen 2?! Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:15 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Admittedly, a prequel would be neat. Going off the notes established by Moore.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum