Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Avengers Academy

+20
comicgeekelly
Fresh03
vikoros
alucardbarnivous
Batman25JM
LOOSECANNON
Heytherejeffro
hrdwrkngXsoldier
Demonweasel
prescribeddrone
Foreigner_Man
jaydee74
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Joshua
Spider_Fan14
Administrator
rwe1138
Mnemosis
shiky800
Bigtymin504
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

101Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:46 am

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

I loved Slott's Mighty Avengers too. It was a great change of pace from the other Dark Reign Avengers books. And yeah his take on Pym made him one of my new favorite characters.

Exactly, it was classic Avengers style mission running during Norman's reign and there was nothing he could do about it, every time he popped up it was hilarious.

His Pym was absolutely one of the break out characters of 2009, he finally left the wife beater thing behind and came into his own as a big brained badass. The Scientist Supreme thing was what sold me on the run completely, and the fact that Hank had business cards printed up the next issue just killed me.

102Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:21 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Fresh03 wrote:
His Mighty Avengers run was abysmal. The ONLY good thing he did during it was some of his Pym stuff. If he was writing this I wouldn't be getting it.

I actually loved his run on Mighty, there were a couple of issues that didn't hit the button with me, but his Hank Pym was the best of all time, I hope Gage refers to what Slott did for personality.

Hank saying "It's on bitch" to Reed Richards was one of the best moments of 2009.

I loved Slott's Mighty Avengers too. It was a great change of pace from the other Dark Reign Avengers books. And yeah his take on Pym made him one of my new favorite characters.

Different strokes and all, but I thought his MA run was crap. It ranged from just plain silly to ridiculously awful. It was way too silver agey and that made it torture for me. Also, the Scientist Supreme thing was ridiculous.

103Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:00 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

This looks fantastic.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

104Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:27 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

#1 was a quite good. The hyped "shock" at the end wasn't very shocking, but still interesting.

105Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:02 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I really, really, REALLY liked the first issue. I almost didn't get it. I had the idea that I would just trade wait, but then I second guessed that and got it. I'm glad I did.

I really like the new team. So far power wise Finesse is my favorite with Mettle and Striker tied for second. Personality wise, Mettle is my favorite.

I'm definitely putting this back on my pull list.

I just really hope that they don't start killing off these characters. I liked Avengers: Initiative (still have to read the last 10 issues or so), but the constant death got a little old. I'd like these new characters to be fleshed out and not become cannon fodder.

rwe1138 wrote:#1 was a quite good. The hyped "shock" at the end wasn't very shocking, but still interesting.

Yeah, I was expecting something Earth shattering at the end. It was cool and all, but not that huge.

106Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:24 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This issue was........pretty interesting. I thought it would be the weakest of the Avengers issues and I liked it more than the regular Avengers issue #1.

107Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:02 am

Demonweasel

Demonweasel
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I don't get how she's not a mutant. Unless there was some other wonkiness going on with these kids, they just developed powers in their teens with no warning (even before Osborn started...poking them).

I'm no mutantologist, but....

http://www.demonweasel.com

108Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:54 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Avengers Academy #1

Strong start. All the new recruits were well developed and their distinct voices were established nicely. I particularly liked Veil for some reason, it's easy to empathize with her. Finesse, Striker, and Mettle got some strong characterizations too. And somehow Gage was able to fit in some nice moments for the faculty too. Pym, Speedball, Pietro, and Justice ("Dr. Phil in Robert Pattinson's body" Laughing) all got some great moments. Tigra was the only one that was kinda just...there. I loved the twist at the end, it should make this book even more interesting beyond the standard "heroes training the next gen" story. Plus, we got some crisp and clean art from Mike McKone.

109Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:49 am

Jango Fett

Jango Fett
Cadet
Cadet

I really enjoyed this issue. I didn't think I would like or care about the new characters at all, but they're interesting. I like having Pym in it as he really grew on me during Mighty Avengers.

After hearing not so good things about Cristos Gage, I was leery about this, but picked it up because I'm a huge Avengers nut, and I'm glad I did.

Also, I really like Mike McKone on this.

All in all, an excellent first issue.

110Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:43 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

#2 was darn good. Poor Reptil still got no smoochies. Finesse possibly being the Taskmaster's daughter is an interesting and logical idea.

111Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:12 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

rwe1138 wrote:#2 was darn good. Poor Reptil still got no smoochies. Finesse possibly being the Taskmaster's daughter is an interesting and logical idea.

Yeah great issue. I loved Finesse in this. She has the makings of one hell of a villain. She's manipulative and very formidable physically and mentally. The stuff with Quicksilver was great too. I hope we see each new Academy student narrate an issue like we did for #1 and #2. Mike McKone's art is great too, very crisp and clean. This is a good fresh series so far.

112Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:59 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

Bigtymin504 wrote:I hope we see each new Academy student narrate an issue like we did for #1 and #2.
IIRC, Gage has said that's exactly what he's gonna do.

113Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:45 am

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

rwe1138 wrote:#2 was darn good. Poor Reptil still got no smoochies. Finesse possibly being the Taskmaster's daughter is an interesting and logical idea.

I'm guessing we find out instead that she's Echo's sister.

I hate this book.

114Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:15 am

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

*post "deleted"*

115Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:34 am

Heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Mnemosis wrote:
I hate this book.
Seriously? I think, of these Heroic Age books, it's in my top 3 with Thunderbolts and Secret Avengers.

I really quite enjoy it.

https://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

116Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:39 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I enjoyed issue #2 quite a bit.

117Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:03 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Heytherejeffro wrote:
Mnemosis wrote:
I hate this book.
Seriously? I think, of these Heroic Age books, it's in my top 3 with Thunderbolts and Secret Avengers.

I really quite enjoy it.

I have to agree with K-Whack. I hate this book. Yes, I have it in my avatar, Fortress (I still insist on calling him this) is hilarious in concept but sucks, like everything involved with this title, in execution. The story itself is not interesting, the characters are boring and mundane as hell, the characterization is weak or borders on silly (fucking Speedball, his meltdown could have come from a bad saturday monrning cartoon), the dialogue sucks (there are no words for it, it just sucks), and the art, while pretty, is static. I hate the character designs (Fortress kind of an exception, Hazmat, I like how it is skin-tight but that's my penis talking and not my brain) and hate the format even more. Where are the other characters? What happened to the Inititive and all the recruits? Why do we not hear about them? In short, the whole damn thing has been a disappointment. Only two issues in and every page is unbearable. I was mad that I wasted money on the first one and glad I downloaded the second one since it reeked of crap as well. I understand this is comics and fun and games or that it's just getting started but come on, don't give me something that kicks me repeatedly in the balls. This is a good concept not working at all and I can't forsee anything changing for the better. So yeah, I'm not a fan of this book either.

/rant.

118Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:37 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ neutral............love your new Plastic Man/Bats gif! Very Happy

119Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:44 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:^ neutral............love your new Plastic Man/Bats gif! Very Happy

Laughing Sorry lol. It's just that I was expecting this to be my favorite series and had high hopes for it yet it has let me down considerably. I feel the writer is limiting himself too much despite having sooo much to work with. Maybe he's overwhelmed by how much there is to work with? I don't know. He's effectively been given a small pocket of the Marvel universe and rich characters to work with and a license to make new ones and we get subpar dialogue and...bah I'm ranting again lol. Laughing

And thanks. I re-did the sig two or three times because I wasn't happy with the framerate (it varies between "pages" now). Part of me still thinks it may be too fast. Laughing

120Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:51 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:^ neutral............love your new Plastic Man/Bats gif! Very Happy

Laughing Sorry lol. It's just that I was expecting this to be my favorite series and had high hopes for it yet it has let me down considerably. I feel the writer is limiting himself too much despite having sooo much to work with. Maybe he's overwhelmed by how much there is to work with? I don't know. He's effectively been given a small pocket of the Marvel universe and rich characters to work with and a license to make new ones and we get subpar dialogue and...bah I'm ranting again lol. Laughing

And thanks. I re-did the sig two or three times because I wasn't happy with the framerate (it varies between "pages" now). Part of me still thinks it may be too fast. Laughing

No need to appologize buddy. While I may not particularly agree with you here, I still really love your rants. yes Laughing

I was just gonna say it moves a bit fast to read, or maybe I'm a slow reader lol. It took me a couple times to catch all the dialogue. Did you draw that as well?? Great stuff!

121Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:56 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Not this time, no, though I did a double-take since it looks like my more cartonish drawings. And I'll increase the time between frames. I was looking for an excuse to do this lol.

122Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:59 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Wink

123Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:10 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

And btw very nice sig. It's looks freakin' sweet. I thought it was pretty impressive how Wasp was included in the picture too (I was proud of myself for seeing that). It would have been cool if Giant man's head was in the background in his classic costume (in giant form).

124Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:25 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:And btw very nice sig. It's looks freakin' sweet. I thought it was pretty impressive how Wasp was included in the picture too (I was proud of myself for seeing that). It would have been cool if Giant man's head was in the background in his classic costume (in giant form).

Thanks! I actually think that is Pym's head in the background! Looks like the mask to the Giant Man costume...
Avengers Academy - Page 5 GiantMan

125Avengers Academy - Page 5 Empty Re: Avengers Academy Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:40 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I read the first ish today, good but not great. Reminded me more of the first ish of New X-Men: Acadmey X i read in the two-in-one flip book of that and Astonishing X-Men I read a long time ago. What did Speedball mean by "That's protecting your teammates Veil"? Was he being sarcastic?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum