Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Legion of Super-Heroes

+4
elijahdprophet
Debaser77
Batman25JM
Aussiemandias
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Legion of Super-Heroes Thu May 20, 2010 6:19 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

As a long term LSH fan I've been very much looking forward to this book. Paul Levitz being on board just makes it all the better. My one hope is that it doesn't get too bogged down in 2010 DC universe continuity. There's a thousand years between now and the LSH time - everything doesn't have to tie back to now and, even when it does, it doesn't have to be tied up in a neat little bow - there's a thousand years of stories that can be told to make continuity work in the future.

When this book works it's got what Levitz previously brought to it - great characterisation (a must for writers on this book with such a huge cast) and epic stories. In my opinion it starts going downhill when writers (and the company) stop worrying about the Legion's continuity in their own time period and are more concerned about how it all fits with DC's current continuity. A lot of heartache for the LSH could have been avoided over the last 25 years or so if this hadn't been the case.

Anyway, I'm excited about this book and the writer and I'm hearing good things about the artist (who I haven't really seen before) so bring it on!

2Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Re: Legion of Super-Heroes Thu May 20, 2010 7:48 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I have mixed feelings about the first issue. There were parts I liked (the Brainiac 5 parts, especially his interaction with Earth-Man), and parts I hated (the Saturn Girl stuff). I don't know too much about the Legion, but I do like it. I think I'll at least get the next issue, and then I'll make a decision about whether or not to continue getting it.

3Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Re: Legion of Super-Heroes Fri May 21, 2010 3:49 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

My review of #1 is up on the main site.

http://panelsonpages.com/?p=23514

I dug it, but I still miss the Mark Waid / Barry Kitson series from 2004-2006.

4Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Re: Legion of Super-Heroes Fri May 21, 2010 3:52 pm

elijahdprophet

elijahdprophet
PoP! Brewmaster
PoP! Brewmaster

I liked the issue, but the entire set up with Earth Man being forced on the team is really bad. This guy led a terrorist group that must have killed countless people, the idea that they would let him out of jail AND put him on the Legion seems pretty unbelievable to me. I'll keep reading it though, because it has potential.

5Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Re: Legion of Super-Heroes Sun May 23, 2010 12:13 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

elijahdprophet wrote:I liked the issue, but the entire set up with Earth Man being forced on the team is really bad. This guy led a terrorist group that must have killed countless people, the idea that they would let him out of jail AND put him on the Legion seems pretty unbelievable to me. I'll keep reading it though, because it has potential.

And he gets a Green Lantern ring? I thought GL's had to be inherently good? Maybe the protocol has changed.

I think I'll at least check out the first arc.

6Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Re: Legion of Super-Heroes Mon May 24, 2010 12:43 am

Zeroskull21

Zeroskull21
Cadet
Cadet

LordD3r3k- There is no stipulation on the morality of a Green Lantern, all that is required of them in the ability to overcome great fear.

The issue was pretty decent, never have read any Legion stories however, so I'm going to have to check out the Final Crisis storyline that I saw out there. Anyone else have a good suggestion for Legion arcs or whatever?

7Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Re: Legion of Super-Heroes Mon May 24, 2010 12:49 am

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Zeroskull21 wrote:LordD3r3k- There is no stipulation on the morality of a Green Lantern, all that is required of them in the ability to overcome great fear.

The issue was pretty decent, never have read any Legion stories however, so I'm going to have to check out the Final Crisis storyline that I saw out there. Anyone else have a good suggestion for Legion arcs or whatever?

To get you caught up on the current stuff, I would recommend that you read Action Comics 858-863 (Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes), Legion of Three Worlds, and Last Stand of New Krypton. That's enough to get you current on the Legion currently being featured.

8Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Re: Legion of Super-Heroes Mon May 24, 2010 6:41 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I didn't mind this first issue. It definitely feels like Levitz has a good handle on the characters that some writers don't and one thing I like that he understands with this book is that you don't try and squeeze every single Legion character into every issue. Anyway, not a bad start with both writer and artist (I found his work a little up and down - some good scenes and some others a bit mediocre) I think feeling their way a bit. That being said, Levitz has certainly hit the ground running by destroying Titan in his first issue!!!

It feels exciting to me to have this all starting again so I look forward to the future (pun intended!).

elijahdprophet wrote:I liked the issue, but the entire set up with Earth Man being forced on the team is really bad. This guy led a terrorist group that must have killed countless people, the idea that they would let him out of jail AND put him on the Legion seems pretty unbelievable to me. I'll keep reading it though, because it has potential.

LordD3r3k wrote:

And he gets a Green Lantern ring? I thought GL's had to be inherently good? Maybe the protocol has changed.

I think I'll at least check out the first arc.
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter and it was made clear in the issue that Earth Man still has significant political support on Earth and those political forces have manoeuvred things to get him on the team. I don't think that's illogical. Political forces do sometimes get their way in order to placate them and the results aren't always in the best interest of everyone.

As for the ring - well, we don't know anything about the entity that has offered Earth Man the ring so I don't think it's safe to assume that any previous protocols are at play here. Anyway, I'm not sure Sinestro is inherently good.

9Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Re: Legion of Super-Heroes Mon May 24, 2010 8:25 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter and it was made clear in the issue that Earth Man still has significant political support on Earth and those political forces have manoeuvred things to get him on the team. I don't think that's illogical. Political forces do sometimes get their way in order to placate them and the results aren't always in the best interest of everyone.

As for the ring - well, we don't know anything about the entity that has offered Earth Man the ring so I don't think it's safe to assume that any previous protocols are at play here. Anyway, I'm not sure Sinestro is inherently good.

I thought of Sinestro, but IIRC, he didn't become a killer until after he was exiled. Sure, he was a dictator, but ruling through fear is different that actually killing the masses.

don't know Definitely curious to see how it plays out at least

10Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Re: Legion of Super-Heroes Tue May 25, 2010 6:02 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
Aussiemandias wrote:One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter and it was made clear in the issue that Earth Man still has significant political support on Earth and those political forces have manoeuvred things to get him on the team. I don't think that's illogical. Political forces do sometimes get their way in order to placate them and the results aren't always in the best interest of everyone.

I thought of Sinestro, but IIRC, he didn't become a killer until after he was exiled. Sure, he was a dictator, but ruling through fear is different that actually killing the masses.

don't know Definitely curious to see how it plays out at least
Not wanting to get bogged down in details but I'd still say being capable of ruling through fear makes you a bad person, whether or not you've killed anyone. I think the thing that attracted the green ring to Sinestro was probably his strong will not so much his altruism.

Anyway, not a big deal. The point is the ring in this case has been offered to a complete asshole! Laughing

11Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Re: Legion of Super-Heroes Tue May 25, 2010 10:56 am

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:Anyway, not a big deal. The point is the ring in this case has been offered to a complete asshole! Laughing

Yeah, like that's never happened before. Like, in COIE, when Guy Gardener was offered his ring (which he would have gotten earlier had he not been in a terrible accident saving some kids on a field trip. Yeah. Chew on that. Guy Gardener originally was a SCHOOL TEACHER).

tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

12Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Re: Legion of Super-Heroes Tue May 25, 2010 6:17 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

superdoug wrote:
Aussiemandias wrote:Anyway, not a big deal. The point is the ring in this case has been offered to a complete asshole! Laughing

Yeah, like that's never happened before. Like, in COIE, when Guy Gardener was offered his ring (which he would have gotten earlier had he not been in a terrible accident saving some kids on a field trip. Yeah. Chew on that. Guy Gardener originally was a SCHOOL TEACHER).

tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
He would have been that teacher all the kids hated!!!

13Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Re: Legion of Super-Heroes Tue May 25, 2010 7:05 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Indeed on both accounts Laughing

14Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Re: Legion of Super-Heroes Tue May 25, 2010 8:32 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:He would have been that teacher all the kids hated!!!

Actually, he was a really popular teacher. At least, he was in the story. It was the same story in which John Stewart got his power ring.

15Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Re: Legion of Super-Heroes Tue May 25, 2010 11:57 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I don't think it really matters what the present day rules are for the rings. This is a thousand years in the future. Things change. I'm sure we'll find out what's going on eventually.

16Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Re: Legion of Super-Heroes Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:23 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I liked the first issue. You kind of need to read Superman and the Legion of Superheroes story with Earth Man and his Justice League and Legion of Three Worlds to a lesser extent but I loved the set-up. I didn't see the ending and I liked it.

17Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Re: Legion of Super-Heroes Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:23 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

In a discussion over at DC Message Boards, we were talking about Laurel Kent and her possible connections to the 21st century. That got me thinking, and I posted the following thoughts. Let me know what you guys think:

There are a number of people that could be descended from/related to Mon-El, Superman, or any modern-day Kryptonian males.

Here's what I think is what, after giving it lots of thought.

Laurel Kent -- Most likely the descendant of Conner Kent, whose DNA is the most likely to 'blend' with human DNA. This would explain the dilution of super-powers to invulnerability alone in 1000 years.

Kent Shakespeare -- I think THIS is the descendant of Mon-El and Billie Harper. I think that 'Kent' becomes a family name, and eventually ends up with a human in the 31st century with most of that powerset.

Laurel Gand -- Probably the descendant of Mon-El and the blonde Daxamite we saw in Action Comics. This makes the most sense, although I doubt she'd divulge that information to him right away, especially with his memory of 21st century shenanigans being all broken and stuff.

Lydda Gath -- WHAT? I hear you scream 'YOU'RE CRAZY!', but hear me out. I think that Lydda Gath is actually the descendant of Lor-Zod, aka Chris Kent aka the Nightwing. The Phantom Zone business and the link to the Nightwing could account for Lydda having dormant super-powers that her father activated somehow, and why her powers are only effective at night or in deepest shadow. We -know- that she's only second to Mon and Kal in those instances. And Chris could have been spit out at any point in the timestream, since we never see him emerge in the 31st century with Mon. If Chris was ejected with the same sort of memory loss, he could have easily been adopted by a Gath ancestor and contributed to the genetic line.

18Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Re: Legion of Super-Heroes Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:58 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Interesting theories. I like it.

19Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Re: Legion of Super-Heroes Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:49 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

superdoug wrote:In a discussion over at DC Message Boards, we were talking about Laurel Kent and her possible connections to the 21st century. That got me thinking, and I posted the following thoughts. Let me know what you guys think:

There are a number of people that could be descended from/related to Mon-El, Superman, or any modern-day Kryptonian males.

Here's what I think is what, after giving it lots of thought.

Laurel Kent -- Most likely the descendant of Conner Kent, whose DNA is the most likely to 'blend' with human DNA. This would explain the dilution of super-powers to invulnerability alone in 1000 years.

Kent Shakespeare -- I think THIS is the descendant of Mon-El and Billie Harper. I think that 'Kent' becomes a family name, and eventually ends up with a human in the 31st century with most of that powerset.

Laurel Gand -- Probably the descendant of Mon-El and the blonde Daxamite we saw in Action Comics. This makes the most sense, although I doubt she'd divulge that information to him right away, especially with his memory of 21st century shenanigans being all broken and stuff.

Lydda Gath -- WHAT? I hear you scream 'YOU'RE CRAZY!', but hear me out. I think that Lydda Gath is actually the descendant of Lor-Zod, aka Chris Kent aka the Nightwing. The Phantom Zone business and the link to the Nightwing could account for Lydda having dormant super-powers that her father activated somehow, and why her powers are only effective at night or in deepest shadow. We -know- that she's only second to Mon and Kal in those instances. And Chris could have been spit out at any point in the timestream, since we never see him emerge in the 31st century with Mon. If Chris was ejected with the same sort of memory loss, he could have easily been adopted by a Gath ancestor and contributed to the genetic line.

I think they're all good, Superdoug. I really like the Kent Shakespeare one. I actually enjoy the conjecture more than when they come out and confirm stuff like this.

20Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Re: Legion of Super-Heroes Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:10 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Issue #2

Not too bad. Levitz is obviously setting up a lot of different threads some of which may be connected. There's certainly a lot going on.

I'm finding I'm not really liking Cinar's art too much - I actually liked Portela's work more when he took over towards the end of the issue. This is the second new DC book on issue #2 this month (Birds of Prey the other) where the artist hasn't been able to complete it. Not a good sign when the series is just starting.

21Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Re: Legion of Super-Heroes Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:21 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm really interested in seeing what happens with Earth-man and his GL ring, but I'm not really diggin' Levitz's writing. Maybe he just needs to find his groove, but right now its alittle stale

22Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Re: Legion of Super-Heroes Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:21 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:I'm really interested in seeing what happens with Earth-man and his GL ring, but I'm not really diggin' Levitz's writing. Maybe he just needs to find his groove, but right now its alittle stale
It was always a possibility considering he hasn't written a whole lot for a while. I suspect it may take him some time to really get into it.

23Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Re: Legion of Super-Heroes Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:25 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:It was always a possibility considering he hasn't written a whole lot for a while. I suspect it may take him some time to really get into it.

I'll probably give this a few more issues. I've started to trim out book I haven't enjoyed in a few months, so we'll see where this lands.

24Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Re: Legion of Super-Heroes Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:11 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah, I'm the same way. I'm interested in the story, but the writing isn't great. So, I dropped it. I may yet get it in trade. I'm too am trying to drop books that I don't love.

25Legion of Super-Heroes Empty Re: Legion of Super-Heroes Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:29 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

So, over on the DC Boards, there's a lot of talk about the 'Archie' Legion, which I guess is supposed to be the Legion that XS originally came from, that are now the New Wanderers. That got me to thinking about the Legion if they were portrayed as Archie characters. Here's my roster so far (no Superman Family members or Daxamites -- I'm working with the Legion of Earth-247 and don't want to futz with casting those roles):

Archie Andrews -- Lightning Lad
Frankie Valdez -- Cosmic Boy
Betty Cooper -- Saturn Girl
Veronica Lodge -- Shadow Lass/Umbra
Reggie Mantle -- Ultra Boy
Midge Klump -- Phantom Girl/Apparition
Dilton Doiley -- Brainiac 5
Forsythe 'Jughead' Jones III -- Chameleon Boy/Chameleon
'Big' Ethel Muggs -- Triplicate Lass/Triad
Moose Mason -- Colossal Lad/Leviathan
Chuck Clayton -- Kid Quantum I
Valerie Brown -- Kid Quantum II
Nancy Woods -- XS
Melody Valentine -- Dream Girl/Dreamer
Josie McCoy -- Sparx/Lightning Lass
Alexandra Cabot -- Shrinking Violet/Leviathan II
Alan M. Mayberry -- Star Boy
Cheryl Blossom -- Kinetix
Jason Blossom -- Element Lad/Progenitor
Alexander Cabot -- Ferro Lad/Ferro
Maria Rodriguez -- Shikari
Adam Chisholm -- Timber Wolf
Sabrina Spellman -- Sensor
Fangs Fogarty -- Gates
Bingo Wilkins -- Magno
Samantha Smythe -- Thunder
Kevin Keller -- Wildfire

Whew! I think that's all of them, and you'll probably have to look up some of the Archie characters. But it's interesting to make the correlations....

Actually, I'd love to see Dan Parent draw that Legion! Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum