Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James

+5
DickGrayson007
jaydee74
Bigtymin504
Rath99
Off_White_Lantern
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:52 pm

Off_White_Lantern

Off_White_Lantern
Pirate
Pirate

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/cleveland-cavaliers-owner-dan-gilbert-rips-lebron-james-070810?GT1=39002

Okay Im not a basketball fan but Dan Gilbert has me convinced. Im rooting for Cleveland and am with their fans in crossing my fingers that the basketball Yankees (Miami Heat) fall flat on their asses.

Seriously Dan Gilbert has some brass ones and should be commended for what he said. U can tell he loves his team and he didnt back down with the normal PC bullshit statements.

C'mon Lebron u couldnt get it done on your own so u run away and join a bunch of superstars for a make believe "team"? Rolling Eyes

Look at the Yankees they havent been taken seriously for years because they are bought Frankenstein free agent "teams" that win all the time. U say you're a Yanks fan and unless you really live in NY even nonsports fans look at u like you're a douchebag lol.

U can't buy a real "team" in sports the great ones just happen.

2Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Re: Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:18 pm

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Gilbert comes off like a teenage girl who got ditched at the prom. Get over yourself. That team is now light years away from sniffing a championship let alone wining one. I don't agree how Lebron did things but he made the right move in leaving Cleveland. It was hard for them to get free agents there. I think he would have been better off in Chicago but what he has with Wade and Bosh makes them a very formidable team.

I'm no Yankee fan..at all!!! But that comparison is asinine. Basketball has a salary cap baseball doesn't.

3Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Re: Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:47 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Rath99 wrote:Gilbert comes off like a teenage girl who got ditched at the prom. Get over yourself. That team is now light years away from sniffing a championship let alone wining one. I don't agree how Lebron did things but he made the right move in leaving Cleveland. It was hard for them to get free agents there. I think he would have been better off in Chicago but what he has with Wade and Bosh makes them a very formidable team.

I'm no Yankee fan..at all!!! But that comparison is asinine. Basketball has a salary cap baseball doesn't.

100% correct!

What is Lebron supposed to do, stay loyal to a team that may never put the pieces around him to win a championship? Free agents like Chris Bosh refused to play in the city of Cleveland. The city will always have problems attracting big time free agents, they all much rather play in cities like Miami, New York, or Los Angeles. Cavs weren't able to sign ANY good free agents this offseason. You can't expect Lebron to just go back to that team when they've done nothing to improve this offseason. He gave them everything he had for 7 years of his life, you can't expect him to stay with them to the detriment of himself. Not to mention he literally left over $30 million on the table by leaving the Cavs and going to Miami to play with another superstar...so nobody can say he's greedy or ego driven, he just wants to win.

That said, I'm a huge Lebron fan but I'm not very happy about him going to the Heat. I was REALLY hoping he would go to Chicago. I thought it was the perfect fit and would be best for his legacy. Oh well, I'm sure I'll come around. The prospect of seeing these guys on the court together is pretty damn exciting though.

4Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Re: Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:01 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Rath99 wrote:Gilbert comes off like a teenage girl who got ditched at the prom. Get over yourself. That team is now light years away from sniffing a championship let alone wining one. I don't agree how Lebron did things but he made the right move in leaving Cleveland. It was hard for them to get free agents there. I think he would have been better off in Chicago but what he has with Wade and Bosh makes them a very formidable team.

100% in agreement. I am a bit disappointed in LeBron for not sticking it out and trying to do great things in Cleveland but on the other hand, you play in the pros to win championships. Anyone who says differently should go back to the YMCA for those weekend games. Look at players who never left the team that they were on and never won a championship. You got Patrick Ewing, Dominic Wilkins, John Stockton, Reggie Miller and Clyde Drexler to name a few. Then you got a few who have went to other teams and still never won a ring like Charles Barkley and Karl Malone.

You want to win a ring. You want to be at the top at the end of the season so if LeBron wants to go someplace where he feels he might be able to get that ring, then that's what he's going to do. I don't think professional sports is like how it used to be when a player had a bit more loyalty to the team and the city than they do now. Having said that, Gilbert came off like a big whiney baby. They have zero chance to get very far next year and it sucks cause I really like Bryon Scott.

5Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Re: Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:48 pm

DickGrayson007

DickGrayson007
Pirate
Pirate

I can't believe people are acting like Lebron did something wrong, it's his life and his career and when it's over he has to be satisfied with it and he won't be if he never gets a championship. Lebron had to do what was best for himself.

6Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Re: Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:41 am

Off_White_Lantern

Off_White_Lantern
Pirate
Pirate

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/steve_aschburner/07/09/miami.heat/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Im not the only one calling the Heat the basketball Yankees.

U guys rooting for these manufactured teams are in the Extreme Minority. I guess outside of Florida nobody likes what just happened to the already struggling NBA. The Heat became the most hated team in basketball in one night.

Lebron had an effing one hour special to have wankers further fueling his giant ego. Rolling Eyes Doesnt matter what he does hes never gonna be a Jordan, Kobe, Magic or Bird simply because he couldnt get it done with a great team and formed a make believe one.

7Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Re: Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:27 am

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Off_White_Lantern wrote:

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/steve_aschburner/07/09/miami.heat/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

U guys rooting for these manufactured teams are in the Extreme Minority. I guess outside of Florida nobody likes what just happened to the already struggling NBA. The Heat became the most hated team in basketball in one night.

Lebron had an effing one hour special to have wankers further fueling his giant ego. Rolling Eyes Doesnt matter what he does hes never gonna be a Jordan, Kobe, Magic or Bird simply because he couldnt get it done with a great team and formed a make believe one.

I never said I was rooting for them. Every team is manufactured. That's what free agency does. The Knicks will have a manufactured team it just won't be a good one that's why no one gives a crap about them.

Those guys (Wade, Bosh, James) all took less money to play together. The Yankees flat out over pay to get who they want. If the Heat are the basketball Yankees what are the Celtics and the Lakers? Those teams are more comparable to the Yankees than a team that's won one NBA championship. The Heat played by the rules that everyone else has.

Sports fans, in general, are haters. We hate other team’s success. The Yankees, Cowboys, Lakers, Duke Basketball, all hated because they are good. No one hates a loser. We all want our team to be on top of the mountain looking down on the rest of the world. That's what the article you cited is about. Nobody roots for Goliath means no one roots for the favorite. These teams that everyone hates are also some of the most admired because no matter how much we hate them we want are teams to be like them...winners! Everyone see's that the Heat have the potential to have a great team that's why they are hated.

Again...I don't agree how Lebron did it but he has every right to go where he wants to. He wants to win and if that means taking a lot less money to do it he's willing to do it. Good for him.

Gilbert pissed because the value of his franchise just took a HUGE drop. He is still an owner and shouldn't make blanket accusation about a guy who he was begging to come back to his team.

8Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Re: Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:01 pm

JonSpangler

JonSpangler
Pirate
Pirate

Labron gave up the possibility of being in the same league as Jordon and Kobe in order for the best chance to win championships. He took the easy way out, took the pressure off himself and if he doesn't win the blame can be spread around.

That said its his right to do it of course. He just did it the wrong way, stringing teams and fans along, showing way to much ego doing a 80 minute ESPN show.

Much of Dan Gilbert said was true. He overreached by saying he will win a championship though. But his words seemed honest and emotional not neccessarly completely thought out.

9Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Re: Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:20 pm

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

JonSpangler wrote:Labron gave up the possibility of being in the same league as Jordon and Kobe in order for the best chance to win championships. He took the easy way out, took the pressure off himself and if he doesn't win the blame can be spread around.

That said its his right to do it of course. He just did it the wrong way, stringing teams and fans along, showing way to much ego doing a 80 minute ESPN show.

Much of Dan Gilbert said was true. He overreached by saying he will win a championship though. But his words seemed honest and emotional not neccessarly completely thought out.

My main problem with what Gilbert said was that he wouldn't have said it had Lebron stayed in Cleveland. It then comes off as sour grapes. When he talked about things being covered up for Lebron who was doing the covering up? The Cavs organization. And if your really believed he gave up in the series against Boston why go after him so hard?

10Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Re: Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:42 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Off_White_Lantern wrote:

I agree with a lot that you said but the thing about Gilbert is that all of the hoopla and hype that LeBron has, Gilbert helped create. I get that he's pissed and he's got every right to be. LeBron was a jackass for not being a man and giving the owner of the team he has played for 7 seven years the heads up. No. LeBron did this on national television. That's like taking dumping someone on a television. This move is basically like school in the summertime. No class. Still, you are talking about someone's career. It's his choice and he's gotta do what's best for him and in the end, everyone is a hater when it comes to certain teams and nobody is every completely happy about certain decisions. It's just life.

11Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Re: Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:51 pm

JonSpangler

JonSpangler
Pirate
Pirate

Rath99 wrote:
JonSpangler wrote:Labron gave up the possibility of being in the same league as Jordon and Kobe in order for the best chance to win championships. He took the easy way out, took the pressure off himself and if he doesn't win the blame can be spread around.

My main problem with what Gilbert said was that he wouldn't have said it had Lebron stayed in Cleveland. It then comes off as sour grapes. When he talked about things being covered up for Lebron who was doing the covering up? The Cavs organization. And if your really believed he gave up in the series against Boston why go after him so hard?

He wouldn't of said it if Lebron did not make the past 2 weeks of free agency a farce and a joke. A decision years in the making was drawn out, trivialized and made a joke of. Just as Lebron might of done the right thing for himself, but in a (very) wrong way, Dan said what many people were thinking but also not in the best way.

Of course he would not of said it if Lebron stayed or did things differently, becuase he would of done things right. Like I said there was much emotion in there. I think it was released minutes after the announcement. A night to rest and get your thoughts straight would of helped.

12Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Re: Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:11 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Well since Lebron isn't running his mouth and publicly trashing the Cavs like they're trashing him, we don't really know both sides. The fact that Cavs management was so quick to throw Lebron under the bus tells me that the relationship between Lebron and the Cavs organization had probably been strained for good bit now.

And I don't get this whole "he strung them along" business. Maybe he genuinely wasn't sure if he wanted to leave Cleveland and that's why the decision took so long. If he really wanted to be a dick he could have just gave a big "EFF U" to the Cavs a long time ago and just told the world he was leaving for the past few years. Do you really think Cavs fans would have been happy with that? I think he genuinely considered staying but ultimately decided not to. The Cavs weren't able to attract ONE high profile free agent this summer (Chris Bosh refused to play in the city of Cleveland, even turned down several millions extra he would have gotten if he went there), so what real incentive did he have to come back and play for that organization? It would have been the same mediocre group of players, while other teams in the East like the Heat, Bulls, Knicks, etc all improved their rosters.

No matter what, Cavs fans would have been pissed however he left. He was in a real lose/lose either way. And if he stayed with the Cavs, people probably would have said he just did it for the extra $30 million he would have made. He would have been criticized no matter what.

Also, I find it funny seeing a sports team's owner and management complaining about a player not telling them exactly what he's doing. As if they don't cut and trade players ALL the time without even consulting them. They don't have a problem discarding players in the blink of an eye if they don't make them millions. Lebron just happened to be in the position of leverage here and it seems like management is bitter about it. They need to get over it.

13Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Re: Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:06 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Well since Lebron isn't running his mouth and publicly trashing the Cavs like they're trashing him, we don't really know both sides. The fact that Cavs management was so quick to throw Lebron under the bus tells me that the relationship between Lebron and the Cavs organization had probably been strained for good bit now.

And I don't get this whole "he strung them along" business. Maybe he genuinely wasn't sure if he wanted to leave Cleveland and that's why the decision took so long. If he really wanted to be a dick he could have just gave a big "EFF U" to the Cavs a long time ago and just told the world he was leaving for the past few years. Do you really think Cavs fans would have been happy with that? I think he genuinely considered staying but ultimately decided not to. The Cavs weren't able to attract ONE high profile free agent this summer (Chris Bosh refused to play in the city of Cleveland, even turned down several millions extra he would have gotten if he went there), so what real incentive did he have to come back and play for that organization? It would have been the same mediocre group of players, while other teams in the East like the Heat, Bulls, Knicks, etc all improved their rosters.

No matter what, Cavs fans would have been pissed however he left. He was in a real lose/lose either way. And if he stayed with the Cavs, people probably would have said he just did it for the extra $30 million he would have made. He would have been criticized no matter what.

Also, I find it funny seeing a sports team's owner and management complaining about a player not telling them exactly what he's doing. As if they don't cut and trade players ALL the time without even consulting them. They don't have a problem discarding players in the blink of an eye if they don't make them millions. Lebron just happened to be in the position of leverage here and it seems like management is bitter about it. They need to get over it.

What he said. I do think that LeBron spent a lot of time figuring out what he wanted to do and where he wanted to go. He said he only decided that morning what he was going to do and I have to believe that because nobody has told me anything to the contrary. This is their business. This is what they do for a living and you want to be on the very best team and be the very best at the end of the season and LeBron feels doing what he did and going to Miami is the way to do that. Nobody has to agree with that but if that's how he feels, then that's how he feels. The fact of the matter is of the two sides of this, the city of Cleveland has made much more noise post decision than LeBron has and it's nothing more than sour grapes.

14Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Re: Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:17 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I don't know if this is real or not but this article is called:

LeBron's Rebuttle: An Open Letter To Dan Gilbert:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/418127-lebrons-rebuttle-an-open-letter-to-dan-gilbert

15Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Re: Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:01 pm

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jaydee74 wrote:I don't know if this is real or not but this article is called:

LeBron's Rebuttle: An Open Letter To Dan Gilbert:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/418127-lebrons-rebuttle-an-open-letter-to-dan-gilbert

I'm pretty sure that's fake. Would be funny if it was real.

16Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Re: Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:35 pm

JonSpangler

JonSpangler
Pirate
Pirate

I don't have the links or articles, so if im way off base feel free to correct, but it has always been my understanding that Wade, Lebron and Bosh all signed similar extensions at the same time, with the express intent that all three were unrestricted free agents at the same time.

It was all planned. Of course Bosh didn't sign with the Cavs, because he knew Lebron would follow him to Miami.

And of course Lebron strung everyone along. He had his own 80 minute special. He told NO team (except miami right before says he) what his intentions were. If he was any sort of a person he would of politely declined chicago, clevand, ect beforehand tv or not before he announced his decision. But he is a self proclamed "King" so he felt he was above that.

17Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Re: Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:51 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Lebron actually was the very first that signed the contract with the Cavs that would make him a free agent this summer. He has every right to do that. I believe Wade did the same after the fact, not sure about Bosh. As far I know, there's no real evidence to your conspiracy theory that they all planned this from the get go. They might have thought it would be great since they're all friends, but no way they could have known that it would have been possible. If the Cavs put together some All-Star talent around Lebron the past 5 years like the Lakers did for Kobe or like the Celtics have done, I'm pretty certain Lebron would have stayed.

Again, the idea that Lebron owes the Cavs organization telling them his exact plans is laughable. They cut and trade players ALL the time without a second thought. Without considering how it would effect the players' lives financially and geographically. But all of a sudden if a player is worth millions and millions he's expected to worry about the organization before himself? That's bull. The main reason the Cavs owner and organization are so pissed now is because Lebron made them MILLIONS of dollars that they'll never see again now that he left. He made them relevant. And now they're trying to make him out as the bad guy by exploiting the Cavs fans' anger/sadness that he left. Dan Gilbert is just whining because Lebron leaving puts a significant hit on his pocketbook.

18Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Re: Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:08 pm

JonSpangler

JonSpangler
Pirate
Pirate

Lebron does not owe anyone,including the Cavs, anything that is true. Making teams have to watch a 80 minute self wank about himself in order to find out if hes joining there team shows lack of class and inflated self worth.

19Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Re: Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:08 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Like I said, it definitely wasn't the best way to go about it. I'm a Lebron fan and even I was face-palming throughout the ESPN special. But its not like Lebron orchestrated the hype all by himself, the media had a huge hand in it too.

But the way Dan Gilbert reacted so publicly was arrogant, childish, and irresponsible. He further stirred the pot of anger in Cleveland when what he should have done was call for some calm during the situation and just try to promote the Cavs. There was no need to publicly attack Lebron's character, now that was low class. Now it's being reported that Lebron and his family and friends have received several threats of violence. People have also threatened to burn down his Akron home and even the homes of his family members that still live in the area. Somebody in his position should have known better.

20Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Re: Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:27 pm

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Labron is an ass for how he went about things...Gilbert is an ass for his reaction. It seems that most of us agree on that.

21Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Re: Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:51 pm

JonSpangler

JonSpangler
Pirate
Pirate

yes

I'd also add that we can all hold hands and agree that Jessie Jackson is a ass and up for biggest douchebag of the universe award for his comments about the situation.

22Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Re: Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:38 pm

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

Bigtymin504 wrote:
But the way Dan Gilbert reacted so publicly was arrogant, childish, and irresponsible. He further stirred the pot of anger in Cleveland when what he should have done was call for some calm during the situation and just try to promote the Cavs. There was no need to publicly attack Lebron's character, now that was low class. Now it's being reported that Lebron and his family and friends have received several threats of violence. People have also threatened to burn down his Akron home and even the homes of his family members that still live in the area. Somebody in his position should have known better.

The threats would have come with or without Gilbert's breakup letter.

Yes, Lebron doesn't owe the Cavs or Cleveland anything. But that doesn't mean both don't have the right to be pissed. Back in the day, Charles Barkley was straight forward in his claims that he wasn't a role model. His entire career, James has been framed as a role model, the next Jordan. He's obviously neither. He might as well embrace the hate fully, and the three can become the new "bad boys" of the NBA. Because he'll never be the golden boy again, no matter how many MVPs and titles he wins. Either you die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

23Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Re: Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:48 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Silent K wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:

The threats would have come with or without Gilbert's breakup letter.

Yes, Lebron doesn't owe the Cavs or Cleveland anything. But that doesn't mean both don't have the right to be pissed. Back in the day, Charles Barkley was straight forward in his claims that he wasn't a role model. His entire career, James has been framed as a role model, the next Jordan. He's obviously neither. He might as well embrace the hate fully, and the three can become the new "bad boys" of the NBA. Because he'll never be the golden boy again, no matter how many MVPs and titles he wins. Either you die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

The threats might have still come, but Gilbert went ahead and threw a can of gasoline on the fire. He's just mad he won't be making hundreds of millions off the back of Lebron anymore and he's using fan anger as an excuse to vent it.

And of course they have the right to be pissed, but its totally uncalled for to try and character assassinate Lebron publicly. Lebron has not ONCE said a bad word about Cleveland, Cleveland fans, and the Cavs organization publicly. Not once. He never complained to the media and demanded to be traded like Kobe did a few years ago. He honored his contract for 7 years without ever criticizing his teammates, coach, owner, etc publicly. Yeah he didn't leave the Cavs on the best of terms, but the idea that he's become some sort of "villain" is a croc perpetuated by the media that loves controversy. People need to settle down.

24Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Re: Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:32 pm

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

He IS the villain. Plain and simple. Mainly because of the image that was propogated and slowly but surely crumbled. People want...NEED a hero. When the hero starts to show chinks in his armor, and then makes admittedly selfish decisions, people are bound to be disenfranchised.

25Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James  Empty Re: Dan Gilbert Rips Labron James Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:17 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Meh, "villain" is a relative term. Sports fans tend to have short memories when it comes to this kind of stuff. Kobe was THE "villain" for awhile during and after the rape trial...no more incidents and two championships later, not so much anymore. He's still not seen as the "good guy" or "golden boy" but rarely will you hear people going back and talking about all the bad stuff. Lebron's current PR problem is far less than what some other sports figures have overcome.

Of course there will be people that "hate" the Heat, but no more than any other great team that has it's fair share of "haters". This whole fiasco will blow over and Lebron will be fine...at least if the team is winning.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum