Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Good and Bad Cover Songs

+18
LordD3r3k
jaydee74
Aussiemandias
Juggalojohn
Matt
AKA Brandon
Batman25JM
Paroxysm
WonderWoman2.0
Debaser77
Denim
prescribeddrone
GigaToast
Frank M. Reding
MikeSabian
melvinlikechris
Gojiratoho
krpykrwly
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:41 am

Frank M. Reding

Frank M. Reding
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

GOOD

Stone Temple Pilots - Dancing Days

The change in tempo and added acoustic element lets STP take this song in a different direction than the Lep Zep original but it still rocks.

27Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:01 am

Frank M. Reding

Frank M. Reding
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

GOOD

Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower

This song has become so closely associated with Hendrix I couldn't even find a clip of Dylan doing it to show you.

28Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:06 am

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Frank M. Reding wrote:

And while I'm on the subject of The Jeff Healey Band....

GOOD

The Jeff Healey Band - While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Every Beatles fan knows this tune but I much prefer this remake to the original. Its much more passionate and melodic. George Harrison played acoustic guitar and sang backing vocals on this cover.

I honestly don't think I've ever heard that cover before. I love it!!

29Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:39 am

Frank M. Reding

Frank M. Reding
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

GOOD

The Brian Setzer Orchestra - Jump Jive An' Wail

Brian Setzer rocks this Louis Prima song.

30Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:50 am

Frank M. Reding

Frank M. Reding
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

GOOD

Guns N' Roses - Live And Let Die

Axl Rose's voice is not suited for this song IMO but the musical arrangement makes up for it. It can't touch the original though.

31Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:27 am

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

At least its more entertaing than the Tori Amos version.

32Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:01 pm

Frank M. Reding

Frank M. Reding
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Batman25JM wrote:
Frank M. Reding wrote:

And while I'm on the subject of The Jeff Healey Band....

GOOD

The Jeff Healey Band - While My Guitar Gently Weeps

I honestly don't think I've ever heard that cover before. I love it!!

Have you never heard Jeff Healey before Batman25JM? If not then do yourself a favor and run right out and buy his CDs See The Light, Hell to Pay and Cover To Cover.You won't regret it. Smile

Last edited by Frank M. Reding on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

33Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:15 pm

Frank M. Reding

Frank M. Reding
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

GOOD
Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World

The Bowie version just doesn't work for me.

34Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:16 am

AKA Brandon

AKA Brandon
Cadet
Cadet

Hers a couple good ones.

Cover
[googlevideo]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1201893571677315695#[/googlevideo]

Original

Cover

Original

Cover (Done on a theremin no less)

Original

35Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:44 am

Matt

Matt
Pirate
Pirate

Paroxysm wrote:
krpykrwly wrote:Good.

Johnny Cash - Hurt
Vulnerability. Regret. Mortality. Johnny Cash does what Reznor couldn't do with this one. He takes this song and forces you to drudge up all those things you'd rather have remain buried in the back of your mind. Is there another artist who can evoke so much emotion?

Get outta here, Cash's version was great but nothing beats the original.

you can't compare them. They are two different songs about two different things

NIN version is about a man that wants to end it all ,and the Cash version is about a man at the end of his life look back

36Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:46 am

Denim

Denim
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

@Brandon, Dude, Walls by Petty is a very special song for me, thanks for posting that cover of it. I liked it.

L.A. Guns-Cry Little Sister from the Lost Boys

Original by Gerard McMann

Of course nothing beats the original of that song, but L.A. Guns did a pretty cool cover of it.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/theusernameiwantedformyprofile

37Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:57 am

Denim

Denim
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Jeff Buckly covered this before Bon Jovi did, but I like Jovi's version better, plus I am a huge Jovi fan

Bon Jovi-Hallelujah

Original

Leonard Cohen

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/theusernameiwantedformyprofile

38Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:01 am

Matt

Matt
Pirate
Pirate

the Afghan Whigs have a lot of great covers

39Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:14 am

AKA Brandon

AKA Brandon
Cadet
Cadet

Denim wrote:@Brandon, Dude, Walls by Petty is a very special song for me, thanks for posting that cover of it. I liked it.

One of my favorite Tom Petty songs. Such a under rated song. Other under rated Tom Petty songs Cabin Down Below and Room At The Top if anyone is interested.

40Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:22 pm

Juggalojohn

Juggalojohn
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

I love cover songs

People are strange - Twiztid

I think we're alone now- The Birthday massacre

Bif Naked - We're Not Gonna Take It - "Ready To Rumble" Soundtrack

Shitty movie but a good soundtrack

41Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:59 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

krpykrwly wrote:Good.

Johnny Cash - Hurt
Vulnerability. Regret. Mortality. Johnny Cash does what Reznor couldn't do with this one. He takes this song and forces you to drudge up all those things you'd rather have remain buried in the back of your mind. Is there another artist who can evoke so much emotion?

While I'm not getting into the "better than the original debate" I think this is one of the great covers in that he made it so personal. I just think it's an amazing version and that video is downright eerie.

Frank M. Reding wrote:GOOD
Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World

The Bowie version just doesn't work for me.

I've got a remastered version (of the Bowie one) and I think it sounds a bit better than this version. I love the original but Nirvana definitely did a nice cover.

Denim wrote:Jeff Buckly covered this before Bon Jovi did, but I like Jovi's version better, plus I am a huge Jovi fan

Bon Jovi-Hallelujah

Original

Leonard Cohen

Man, everyone has covered Hallelujah!!!! It's got to be one of the more covered songs around.

Tainted Love

Soft Cell's version has become the accepted version of the song (a lot of people probably don't even realise it's a cover):

The original by Gloria Jones is pretty good though:

42Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:59 am

krpykrwly

krpykrwly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

[quote="DenimL.A. Guns-Cry Little Sister from the Lost Boys

Original by Gerard McMann

Of course nothing beats the original of that song, but L.A. Guns did a pretty cool cover of it.[/quote]
I like this metal version.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

43Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:39 pm

Juggalojohn

Juggalojohn
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Emilie Autumn- Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

HIM - Wicked Games

& Don't fear the reaper

Reel big fish- Talk dirty to me, this is off their new cover album

44Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:40 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Good:

45Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:15 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

GOOD

Megadeth - Paranoid
Just love the energy the band puts into it, and Dave is a great substitute for Ozzy.

46Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:17 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Good

Marylin Manson - Sweet Dreams
Just a great creepy original take on the old verion

47Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:57 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

WonderWoman2.0 wrote:A great cover:

Wow, that is frickin' good. While Paul's is catchy, this is way better.

Good War Pigs cover by Dresden Dolls. Slow start, but a good build up. Drummer rocks.

Think T-Matts posted this before somewhere.

Good Paranoid cover by Megadeth.

Great Mad Mad World by Evergreen Terrace (Did I post this before? Oh well.)

[starts @ 1] An amateur acoustic cover of Knife Party by The Deftones. Really liked it.

Aria (have no idea who she is but) does a pretty good job covering Change by The Deftones.

System's cover of Metro is magnificent!

48Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:52 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This is another Johnny Cash one where I think his cover is better than the original. I think this has a lot to do with the subject matter which really sounds better (to my ears anyway) in Cash's style.

Here's Sting's original:

And here's Cash's cover:

It's off the same album as Hurt so he was doing pretty well there considering it was towards the end of his life.

49Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:28 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

50Good and Bad Cover Songs - Page 2 Empty Re: Good and Bad Cover Songs Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:51 am

krpykrwly

krpykrwly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum