Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

C2E2-How long will it stay at McCormick Place/Chicago?

+7
Chi-Town Spidey
Airwolf
TENIME_art
Tiger
mchampion
Rath99
JonSpangler
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

JonSpangler

JonSpangler
Pirate
Pirate

Reading the Chicago Sun Times today, as I do every day, and came across a article about how 2 big trade shows have ditched McCormick Place and Chicago and moved to other locations, one going to Florida. And a chance a third might in 2011.

I guess with unions and such things can get pretty expensive there, with things like electricity hook ups in Florida costing $4,000 but in Chicago $40,000.

It got me thinking if it would be financially viable for C2E2 to be held IN Chicago. Wizard World Chicago/Chicago Comic Con is actually held in Rosemont and not Chicago. I wonder if its cheaper there then doing it in the city.

With the economy better but still a while off from full recovery I got questions that popped in my mind.

1. Is McCormick Place more expensive then suburbs or other locations?
2. Would it be better to hold C2E2 in a suburb of Chicago? Maybe Rosemont?
3. Would it be better to hold it in another Midwest State and change the name?
4. If there is that much a difference in price could it drive exhibitors away from C2E2 and possibly back to Rosemont/Wizard?

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I can't speak about anything Chicago but the Reed holds NYCC at the Javits Center and that is not a cheap place to hold a show at and they've done it consistently for 4 years now. I don't know the cost to run a show at the Javits Center but my guess would be that its around the same price as McCormick Place if not more.

mchampion

mchampion
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

With what they're charging for tables...money's not an issue. :P

http://www.michaelchampion.net

JonSpangler

JonSpangler
Pirate
Pirate

mchampion wrote:With what they're charging for tables...money's not an issue. :P

True, not for Reed but its the exhibitors that are going to be charged. And it was the exhibitors that caused the other Chicago trade shows to movie. Maybe not dealers that don't need anything but tables but what about publishers?

Lets just say Dark Horse is charged 40 grand for electricity when it Rosemont it cost 4 grand. Big companies still have bottom lines. They could decide that maybe its not worth the money when in a few months there is another big convention ready around the corner.

Or the fact that there is a competing Con from Wizard the same weekend. Something that looks like will repeat itself again. Companies could decide to save the money and take the cheaper con.

Its all hypothetical and maybe accounts to nothing. But all it takes is one underperforming show or one enticement of lower money that could sway things.

This is not con v con more of con v city and what makes for the best economics.

Tiger

Tiger
Cadet
Cadet

People are going to be bitching up a storm on Monday am after C2E2 about what it pain it was to attend. McCormick is great for a one day visit to the auto show, but a 3 day con where you are changing costumes, taking goodies back and forth to your room... it's gonna suck. I bet they are at McCormick ONE year.

TENIME_art

TENIME_art
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I would love it if they moved to Rosemont/D.E.S. for 2011... Very Happy

Airwolf

Airwolf
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

well i do prefer to see something more than just hotels around the convention center at rosemont - like chicago is a beautiful city i think - its the payoff for the city sights and con all i one

that means 2x the ammount i need to save up for! gahhh

whos clubbing with gem!?!!

Chi-Town Spidey

Chi-Town Spidey
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Airwolf wrote:

I've known you for a long time and I really wanted to see this! Thing is, all the best clubs/bars are on the north side on Fullerton/Lincoln. You'll basically find them all there by the college/ Lincoln Park area. I'm sure you would have a field day there.

Just an FYI to all, the city isn't rosemont and you are going to have to tweek you con battle plan a bit, to...what's the word..."survive" if you plan on roaming outside the con. So in other words...

"Don't cross the streams...it could be bad."
C2E2-How long will it stay at McCormick Place/Chicago? Egon-pke-meter

https://www.facebook.com/people/Chi-Town-Spidey/1331652244

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Airwolf wrote:
C2E2-How long will it stay at McCormick Place/Chicago? Widget_dxTfpHAJzf_PImovOIJ-3I
I'm in.

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:
Airwolf wrote:
C2E2-How long will it stay at McCormick Place/Chicago? Widget_dxTfpHAJzf_PImovOIJ-3I
I'm in.

lol!

SmilingIdiot

SmilingIdiot
Cadet
Cadet

Rosemont was horrible in terms of anything to do outside of the convention. Especially since WWC wasn't like SDCC, where there was late night programming. If you wanted to do anything else, you had very few options. Hell, even getting a bite to eat was extremely limited!

Also, as someone mentioned before, McCormick Place probably isn't much more expensive that Javits Center.

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

No matter how many times I see a picture of baby seals getting clubbed to death, I never stop laughing.

Matt

Matt
Pirate
Pirate

SmilingIdiot wrote:Also, as someone mentioned before, McCormick Place probably isn't much more expensive that Javits Center.

It's cheaper

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Mnemosis wrote:No matter how many times I see a picture of baby seals getting clubbed to death, I never stop laughing.
I think what really sells that image is the seal looking at the guy with it's mouth agape.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum