Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

S.H.I.E.L.D.

+21
KingJoffers
rwe1138
Foreigner_Man
superdoug
Debaser77
jaydee74
Jango Fett
Fresh03
Administrator
Velociraptor DJ
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
comicgeekelly
prescribeddrone
Aussiemandias
Batman25JM
shiky800
Rath99
Mnemosis
AlienIncognito
Esbat
Bigtymin504
25 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

76S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:51 am

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Day-ummmm

That's awesome stuff, I wish this was monthly, but if once every two months is what it takes for Weaver to do his thing I'm in. After that first issue I can't imagine anyone but Weaver drawing this.

77S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Thu May 20, 2010 5:07 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

So I joined Twitter yesterday cuz I hear it's a great way to communicate with comic creators, and sure enough Jonathan Hickman answered my first question in under a minute! I wanted to know if there would be any Muslim polymaths in SHIELD since there have been a plethora throughout history.

Here was the exchange:

Me: Hey @jhickman, huge fan of SHIELD! Was wondering if you considered including any Muslim polymaths from the Islamic Golden Age in the book?

Hickman: A hint of it in Issue 3 and then much, much more after that.

thumbs up Just thought I'd share.

78S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:23 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

full preview: http://comics.ign.com/articles/109/1094655p1.html

happy

79S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:30 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

#2 was good. Looks like Nostradamus is a little different in the Marvel U.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

80S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:53 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

S.H.I.E.L.D. #2

Another great issue. We got a lot more background on the the main character Leonid, and a ton more from Mr. Leonardo da Vinci. Hickman introduced plenty of new high concepts here so I'll definitely be reading it again, and probably again lol. Also more beautiful art by Weaver, his renditions of the Immortal City and the battle of Stark and Richards vs Night Machine were gorgeous. Loved the end too, can't wait to see Leo laying down the law!

81S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:19 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Issue 2 was good, but I think I liked issue 1 more. I still don't really care about Leonid, but the story itself is interesting enough to keep me caring about it.

82S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:17 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Despite liking the first issue I decided to drop this book. I'm going to trade wait for it.

83S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:54 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:S.H.I.E.L.D. #2

Another great issue. We got a lot more background on the the main character Leonid, and a ton more from Mr. Leonardo da Vinci. Hickman introduced plenty of new high concepts here so I'll definitely be reading it again, and probably again lol. Also more beautiful art by Weaver, his renditions of the Immortal City and the battle of Stark and Richards vs Night Machine were gorgeous. Loved the end too, can't wait to see Leo laying down the law!
I think a nice, complex plot is now becoming Hickman's calling card, so re-reading earlier issues is probably a must. Also the bi-monthly schedule probably requires it too.

We're get some interesting stuff in this issue. First of all there's Nostradamus who is still around at the time this is set, seemingly a prisoner of the SHIELD and still dishing out prophecies and I'm interested in his prophecies here (which bear repeating):

The sounds of war echo in the sky;
Soon the son of eternity returns;
Soon the child of the stars is born;
Fate or free will, the mechanism reveals.

I love this stuff! Anyway, I'm going with Leonid as the son of Eternity. I think the stars you can see inside him in some panels are a clue to that. Which means The Dark Man isn't his real father. Still, we see a picture of what is maybe his mother - not sure what she is.

There are also hints at immortals. Looks like Da Vinci is one and I'm thinking seeing Nostradamus is still around he is too.

And what's with the talking dove??? I'm wondering if that's Leonid's mother figure we saw?

I have to say also I loved Hickman's use of a text page to convey the very long conversation betweeen Leonardo and Leonid. I thought that was an excellent tool to give us that conversation without using too much precious space in the issue. Well done for doing something a little different.

All up I absolutely love what this book is. I think everyone needs to realise it is going to be a long story.

84S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:16 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Great analysis Aussie! I still didn't get a chance to re-read this but will soon. And you're totally right on this being a long story, it will be such a grand epic when collected.

85S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:48 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

S.H.I.E.L.D. #2

Other than some undeveloped characters, especially Leonid, this book is jaw-dropping. The art is unreal. The high concepts are as exciting as they come. Even when there's a thousand things thrown at fanboys at once, it's all worth the long and tumultuous journey of Hickman's mind. This one had a little more "chase" in it and perhaps that's what made it feel a little more skiddish than its debut. Regardless, there isn't a more exciting book around.

4/5

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

86S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:01 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:S.H.I.E.L.D. #2

I think a nice, complex plot is now becoming Hickman's calling card, so re-reading earlier issues is probably a must. Also the bi-monthly schedule probably requires it too.

We're get some interesting stuff in this issue. First of all there's Nostradamus who is still around at the time this is set, seemingly a prisoner of the SHIELD and still dishing out prophecies and I'm interested in his prophecies here (which bear repeating):

The sounds of war echo in the sky;
Soon the son of eternity returns;
Soon the child of the stars is born;
Fate or free will, the mechanism reveals.

I love this stuff! Anyway, I'm going with Leonid as the son of Eternity. I think the stars you can see inside him in some panels are a clue to that. Which means The Dark Man isn't his real father. Still, we see a picture of what is maybe his mother - not sure what she is.

There are also hints at immortals. Looks like Da Vinci is one and I'm thinking seeing Nostradamus is still around he is too.

And what's with the talking dove??? I'm wondering if that's Leonid's mother figure we saw?

I have to say also I loved Hickman's use of a text page to convey the very long conversation betweeen Leonardo and Leonid. I thought that was an excellent tool to give us that conversation without using too much precious space in the issue. Well done for doing something a little different.

All up I absolutely love what this book is. I think everyone needs to realise it is going to be a long story.

Good analysis. I can see Leonid being a new universe, one where that is sentient and sympathetic to SHEILD's plight or as a means of escape if that universe comes to an end or something like that. And I'm fairly convinced that Night Machine is Nikola Tesla. He was known for having a dove that he was especially fond of and would talk to.
http://www.nikolatesla.hr/news.aspx?newsID=64&pageID=23

And Night Machine's appearance being similar to Tesla's along with his penchant for electricity makes me think this as well. I mean, if we can re-imagine other historical characters, why not Tesla? And while he seems like a cultural hero to some, he can easily be played as a caustic revolutionary type (an earthquake machine, a deathray, and so forth). Personally, I'm hoping other historical figures show up and have a hand in all of this.

87S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:41 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Brilliant!

88S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:12 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:

Good analysis. I can see Leonid being a new universe, one where that is sentient and sympathetic to SHEILD's plight or as a means of escape if that universe comes to an end or something like that. And I'm fairly convinced that Night Machine is Nikola Tesla. He was known for having a dove that he was especially fond of and would talk to.

And Night Machine's appearance being similar to Tesla's along with his penchant for electricity makes me think this as well. I mean, if we can re-imagine other historical characters, why not Tesla? And while he seems like a cultural hero to some, he can easily be played as a caustic revolutionary type (an earthquake machine, a deathray, and so forth). Personally, I'm hoping other historical figures show up and have a hand in all of this.

I like it. I think you're on the money there. It's funny as I was writing my post the other day I kept thinking this book would be so up Wade's alley!

89S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:06 pm

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Aussiemandias wrote:
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:

I like it. I think you're on the money there. It's funny as I was writing my post the other day I kept thinking this book would be so up Wade's alley!

Laughing It really is. Solid story with good art.

90S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:03 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

This is an interesting book, though it's not overly compelling right now. It'll probably read a lot better in trade. I'll check out the third issue to see, and if it grabs me, I'll stick with it.

91S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:58 pm

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

S.H.I.E.L.D. #2

People waited two months to read this issue and I don’t believe they were left wanting. Getting three Hickman books every other month has been a real treat. Since he started on Secret Warriors over a year ago he hasn’t disappointed me with a Marvel title yet. The art in this book is amazing. There are many dark scenes in the book but there are just as many bright flashes and glows to separate everything. The story follows Hickman’s style of being very detailed and decompressed. There may be fans opposed to decompressed story telling, but personally when it is done correctly it is generally better than splash page after splash page of action sequences.

Where issue #1 was more like the “Secret History” of the Marvel Universe, issue #2 changes pace to look at the secret history of our lead protagonist Leonid. (Who has been dubbed the Eternal Dynamo…and strangely is drawn with the galaxy viewed in his back which says to me Captain Marvel or Eternity.) We find out more about Leonid’s background as it his mind is opened up by Leonardo Da Vinci.

Also featured in this issue are people that look like they are alto eternals or at least work for the same group and Nostradamus. That would be our second real world historical figure being featured in the title. For classic marvel characters we see Agents Nathaniel Richards and Howard Stark.

The scenes that follow the movements and actions of Night Machine are just awesome. We still don’t really know what his motives are. One question that I was wondering involves him stating that he died, and a mysterious glowing figure in the revelations that Leonid had. I believe there is definitely a connection. There is probably also something in the story that connects the woman pictured as his mother in the origin story and things that are currently happening in the story.

The book closes with Leonardo and Leonid going to meet The Council and Leonardo De Vinci taking charge.

5 out of 5 Ultimate Nullifiers

92S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:35 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Hickman's Twitter:

Happy Independence Day to everyone. “Where liberty is, there is my country.” - Ben Franklin, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

happy

93S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:16 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

#3 - Galileo vs Galactus!

S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 13189storystory_full-8949933

94S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:20 pm

Demonweasel

Demonweasel
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:#3 - Galileo vs Galactus!

S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 13189storystory_full-8949933

They should merge to form Galilactus.

http://www.demonweasel.com

95S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:00 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

#3 was quite good. This book is dense, but I'm digging it. It looks like Newton is the Big Bad, but it's still early.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

96S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:06 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

S.H.I.E.L.D. #3

Amazing. This book is convoluted, but in a great way! A lot of things from #2 were given some context and explanation this issue. The concepts with Sir Isaac Newton and Nostradamus were fantastic. And Dustin Weaver is just blowing me away. I honestly can't stop grinning like an idiot while reading this book lol.

Also, I loved the part with the Lost Caliphate of S.H.I.E.L.D.! Hickman on Twitter told me there would be a hint of it in #3 and a ton more after that. Wink

97S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:34 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Good issue, but I'm kind of wishing I had just waited to buy this in trade.

Did anybody else have to do a double take when they saw the alien sexing panel?

98S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:07 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

comicgeekelly wrote:Did anybody else have to do a double take when they saw the alien sexing panel?

Yes that was...disturbing. Laughing

99S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:32 am

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:S.H.I.E.L.D. #3

Amazing. This book is convoluted, but in a great way! A lot of things from #2 were given some context and explanation this issue. The concepts with Sir Isaac Newton and Nostradamus were fantastic. And Dustin Weaver is just blowing me away. I honestly can't stop grinning like an idiot while reading this book lol.

Also, I loved the part with the Lost Caliphate of S.H.I.E.L.D.! Hickman on Twitter told me there would be a hint of it in #3 and a ton more after that. Wink

Issue #3 was superb. Words fail me with this book. It's my favourite comic in a long time. Everything was damn good in this issue right down to the correspondence with the Pope at the end which was just plain brilliant.

Dustin Weaver cannot leave this book. Ever.

So Isaac Newton murdered Galileo. There's something I never read about the history books!

comicgeekelly wrote:

Did anybody else have to do a double take when they saw the alien sexing panel?

Yeah I'm not really sure that was appropriate for a mainstream comic book. The unfortunate thing for Newton with that was that she was one of the better looking Deviants. gross

I'm throwing this out there and people may think it's over the top but after reading this issue and the recent final issue of his mini series A Red Mass for Mars I think Hickman may be the next Alan Moore. The things that remind me of Alan Moore are Hickman's ability to construct and design a story, his complex, intelligent plots, his attention to detail and also his reverence for older comics which I think you see in his work on the Fantastic Four and Secret Warriors. I certainly see a lot of parallels in his work.

100S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 4 Empty Re: S.H.I.E.L.D. Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:38 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

#3 was amazing...I'm glad the book steered away from the newer focal point characters to show us more of SHIELD's historic craziness! You can't find better art, anywhere.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum