Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009

+5
comicgeekelly
BlueMaxx
Joshua
Administrator
Combo Mo
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Empty YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:05 pm

Combo Mo

Combo Mo
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Make your Oscar picks...

-Who deserves to be nominated?...

To make it more interesting: It can only be 2009 films that you've watched.

Here's mine (in no particular order):

Best Picture
1) The Hurt Locker
2) Star Trek
3) Up
4) Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
5) Sunshine Cleaning
6) (500) Days of Summer
7) Away We Go
8) The Hangover
9) Precious
10) Inglorious Basterds

Best Actor
1) Jeremy Renner (The Hurt Locker)
2) Zachary Quinto (Star Trek)
3) Liam Neeson (Taken)
4) Joseph Gordon-Levitt ((500) Days of Summer)
5) John Krasinski (Away We Go)

Best Actress
1) Mélanie Laurent (Inglorious Basterds)
2) Maya Rudolph (Away We Go)
3) Amy Adams (Sunshine Cleaning)
4) Zooey Deschanel ((500) Days of Summer)
5) Gabby Sidibe (Precious)

Best Supporting Actor
1) Anthony Mackie (The Hurt Locker)
2) Jackie Earle Haley (Watchmen)
3) Christopher Waltz (Inglorious Basterds)
4) Karl Urban (Star Trek)
5) Zach Galifianakis (The Hangover)

Best Supporting Actress
1) Maggie Gyllenhaal (Away We Go)
2) Zoe Saldana (Star Trek)
3) Emily Blunt (Sunshine Cleaning)
4) Monique (Precious)
5) Bonnie Wright (Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince)

Best Director
1) Kathryn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker)
2) Quentin Tarantino (Inglorious Basterds)
3) J.J. Abrams (Star Trek)
4) Lee Daniels (Precious)
5) Sam Mendes (Away We Go)

2YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Empty Re: YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:17 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Is that picking your favorites or bets? Because I highly doubt some of your choices will get a chance for Best Movie ('Up' will most likely be nominated for Best Animation - I now that even without watching - but if 'Wall-E' didn't get a nomination for Best movie last year, I doubt animated movies will get that recognition any time soon).

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

3YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Empty Re: YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:31 pm

Combo Mo

Combo Mo
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Favorites, based on what I've already watched. There's a lot of other movies I predict will be nominated...but I haven't watched them yet.

I do predict Up will be nominated for Best Picture. Wall-E would have made it in, if there were 10 nominees last year.

4YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Empty Re: YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:04 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

There will never be another animated movie to get a Best Picture nomination, what with the Best Animated category. Beauty and the Beast will forever be the only animated feature to receive that distinction.

5YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Empty Re: YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:07 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

I also doubt 'Star Trek', 'The Hangover' and 'Harry Potter' got any chance at the Academy. 'Inglourious Basterds'? A tiny chance. A lot less than 50%, I'd say (I hope Melanie Laurent gets a nomination, though).

6YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Empty Re: YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:32 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Combo Mo wrote:Make your Oscar picks...

-Who deserves to be nominated?...

To make it more interesting: It can only be 2009 films that you've watched.

Here's mine (in no particular order):

Best Picture
1) The Hurt Locker
2) Star Trek
3) Up
4) Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
5) Sunshine Cleaning
6) (500) Days of Summer
7) Away We Go
8) The Hangover
9) Precious
10) Inglorious Basterds
Damn. I do this almost every Oscar season. I've only seen Inglorious Basterds. Almost bought Sunshine Cleaning.

Oddly, I have at least a little desire to at least see all of these. Hurt Locker, Sunshine Cleaning, Away We Go, and, what the heck, I'll throw in 500 Days of Summer as my really-want-to-see films. While the others just seem like they'd be fun.

Tomer Soiker wrote:I also doubt 'Star Trek', 'The Hangover' and 'Harry Potter' got any chance at the Academy. 'Inglourious Basterds'? A tiny chance. A lot less than 50%, I'd say (I hope Melanie Laurent gets a nomination, though).
Ya, that's what I'm thinking. At least for Best Picture. Even Inglourious Basterds will probably just get nom'ed for script or something away from the main categories.

7YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Empty Re: YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:10 pm

Combo Mo

Combo Mo
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:There will never be another animated movie to get a Best Picture nomination, what with the Best Animated category. Beauty and the Beast will forever be the only animated feature to receive that distinction.
I'm sticking by my prediction.

Tomer Soiker wrote:I also doubt 'Star Trek', 'The Hangover' and 'Harry Potter' got any chance at the Academy. 'Inglourious Basterds'? A tiny chance. A lot less than 50%, I'd say (I hope Melanie Laurent gets a nomination, though).
I agree.

The only ones on my list that I believe will be nominated for Best Picture are: The Hurt Locker, Up, and Precious. Maybe Inglorious Basterds, but it's a long shot.

8YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Empty Re: YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:25 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:There will never be another animated movie to get a Best Picture nomination, what with the Best Animated category. Beauty and the Beast will forever be the only animated feature to receive that distinction.

I've actually heard a lot (and I mean a lot) of buzz saying that Up has a very good chance at getting a Best Picture nomination.

9YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Empty Re: YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:13 am

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

I haven't seen too many 2009 films yet, but of the ones I've seen, The Hurt Locker has been my favorite. I doubt I'll see a better movie all year, and I hope it gets nods for Best Picture, Best Director (Kathryn Bigelow), and Best Actor (Jeremy Renner). I'm sure that Precious, Invictus, and maybe Inglorious Basterds will get nominated for Best Picture.

10YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Empty Re: YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:00 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

Random things I agree with:

Combo Mo wrote:
Best Picture
3) Up
6) (500) Days of Summer
7) Away We Go
8) The Hangover
10) Inglorious Basterds

Best Actor
3) Liam Neeson (Taken)
4) Joseph Gordon-Levitt ((500) Days of Summer)
5) John Krasinski (Away We Go)

Best Actress
1) Mélanie Laurent (Inglorious Basterds)
2) Maya Rudolph (Away We Go)
3) Amy Adams (Sunshine Cleaning)
4) Zooey Deschanel ((500) Days of Summer)

Best Supporting Actor
3) Christopher Waltz (Inglorious Basterds)

Best Supporting Actress
1) Maggie Gyllenhaal (Away We Go)

Best Director
1) Kathryn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker)
2) Quentin Tarantino (Inglorious Basterds)
5) Sam Mendes (Away We Go)

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

11YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Empty Re: YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:05 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Combo Mo wrote:
I agree.

The only ones on my list that I believe will be nominated for Best Picture are: The Hurt Locker, Up, and Precious. Maybe Inglorious Basterds, but it's a long shot.
I actually think 'Away We Go' or 'Sunshine Cleaning' could take the "little movie that could" slot.

comicgeekelly wrote:
I've actually heard a lot (and I mean a lot) of buzz saying that Up has a very good chance at getting a Best Picture nomination.
Biz talk means zero, apparently. 'Wall-E' was in last year the movie with most perfect grades from reviewers and with all the love it received (from the audience, reviewers and industry people) it didn't get a nomination for Best Movie. 'The Dark Knight' was almost the same, yet the Academy ignored the hype and went along with its old fashioned decisions.

12YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Empty Re: YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:10 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

Tomer Soiker wrote:
Biz talk means zero, apparently. 'Wall-E' was in last year the movie with most perfect grades from reviewers and with all the love it received (from the audience, reviewers and industry people) it didn't get a nomination for Best Movie. 'The Dark Knight' was almost the same, yet the Academy ignored the hype and went along with its old fashioned decisions.
Tomer, any previous year I'd agree with you. But with Best Picture now expanding to ten films, I think there's a much better shot of UP getting a nom.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

13YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Empty Re: YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:25 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

Up will definitely win Best Animated Feature, but chances are good that it'll get a Best Picture nod. Both Crouching Tiger and Life Is Beautiful were nominated for both Best Picture and Best Foreign Film, so the precedent is set.

14YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Empty Re: YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:37 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

rwe1138 wrote:
Tomer Soiker wrote:
Tomer, any previous year I'd agree with you. But with Best Picture now expanding to ten films, I think there's a much better shot of UP getting a nom.

When did THAT happen?!

Debaser77 wrote:Up will definitely win Best Animated Feature, but chances are good that it'll get a Best Picture nod. Both Crouching Tiger and Life Is Beautiful were nominated for both Best Picture and Best Foreign Film, so the precedent is set.
Point is, the animation category was created originally so no animated movie will get a nomination for Best Picture with "the real films" and steal their chances. Foreign Film has been there for about 50 years so foreign films have an actual chance for winning some award. The cases you mention are just a coincidence, as I think they see them as "real movies" more than animated ones. If a foreign movie is so good, the Academy won't prevent it from getting a nomination for Best Picture, but they still see animation as a childish form of art no matter how much progress it's been through over the years.

15YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Empty Re: YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:04 pm

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

I'm with those that say UP! will get a Best Picture Nod.

16YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Empty Re: YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:15 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

If Christoph Waltz doesn't at least get nominated for Best Supporting actor, I'll be amazed. He's given the best performance I've seen all year, though I haven't seen very many movies this year.

17YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Empty Re: YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:17 pm

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

You have to pull Star Trek out of the running...which is a pity, Meryl Streep will be nominated...uggg I am sick of her being nominated for everything she does shake my head and Christopher Waltz will be nominated and will win Very Happy

18YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Empty Re: YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:31 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

Star Trek will get noms for Visual Effects and maybe Musical Score, but that's about it.

19YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Empty Re: YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:18 pm

Combo Mo

Combo Mo
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

These are the ones I still want to see, that have been getting a lot of Best Picture buzz:

-Up in the Air
-Invictus
-Nine
-An Education
-Crazy Heart
-The Lovely Bones
-The Road

20YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Empty Re: YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:26 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

A Serious Man will probably get a nom, too. I still need to see that.

21YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Empty Re: YOUR Oscar picks/ Best of 2009 Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:43 pm

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Debaser77 wrote:Star Trek will get noms for Visual Effects and maybe Musical Score, but that's about it.

I wish there was a category for best lens flares in a movie Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum