Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Oscar picks 2010

+3
BlueMaxx
Combo Mo
melvinlikechris
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Oscar picks 2010 Empty Oscar picks 2010 Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:03 pm

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I think the nominations for the Academy awards will be announced next month but I want to know what/who you guys think should be taking home Osacr gold.

My picks:

Best Film: Avatar

Best Director:
James Cameron, Avatar

Best Actor: Sharlto Copley, District 9

Best Supporting Actor: Jack Earl Healy, Watchmen

Best Adapted Screenplay Screenplay: District 9

Best Foreign Language Film: Let the Right One In

(btw, there are a few films released this year that I'm yet to see)

Last edited by melvinlikechris on Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Oscar picks 2010 Empty Re: Oscar picks 2010 Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:20 pm

Combo Mo

Combo Mo
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Best Picture: The Hurt Locker
Best Actor: Jeff Bridges (Crazy Heart)
Best Actress: Carey Mulligan (An Education)
Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Waltz (Inglorious Basterds)
Best Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique (Precious)
Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker)

3Oscar picks 2010 Empty Re: Oscar picks 2010 Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:56 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm never good with the Oscars. My choices are always way different. Too plebeian for Oscars' tastes. Wink

Movie: Watchmen (I'm thinking Hurt Locker or 500 Days of Summer'll take it.)
Script: Hurt Locker (Haven't seen it, but I've heard the buzz on the script than anything else. So this one is based on prediction.)
Adapted Screenplay: District 9
Director: Neil Blomkamp
Male Actor: Jackie Earl Haley (As Rorschach in Watchmen)
Female Actor: Maya Rudolph (As Verona De Tessant in Away We Go)
Male S. Actor: Christoph Waltz (As Hans Landa in Inglourious Basterds)
Female S. Actor: Mélanie Laurent (As Shosanna Dreyfus in Inglourious Basterds)
Score: Sherlock Holmes
Cinematography: Avatar
F/X: Avatar
Original Screenplay: District 9 (Could go to Paranormal Activity, but probably neither.)
Animated Feature: Coraline (I'm guessing. Haven't seen it, but heard nothing but good. Wouldn't surprise me if Up takes it.)
Documentary: Capitalism: A Love Story
Costume Design: Watchmen (But it could go to Sherlock Holmes because its accuracy of the history.)

That's all I can do.

4Oscar picks 2010 Empty Re: Oscar picks 2010 Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:35 pm

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Are we supposed to pick what we think will win, or what we would like to see win?

5Oscar picks 2010 Empty Re: Oscar picks 2010 Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:05 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Eh, take your pick. I kind of mixed mine. But ya, these are always speculation.

6Oscar picks 2010 Empty Re: Oscar picks 2010 Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:09 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

I am pulling wholeheartedly for The Hurt Locker to win Best Picture and Best Director. I'm sure the Academy will give it to Avatar and Cameron, though.

I haven't seen Crazy Heart yet, but I want to soon. I would LOVE to see Jeff Bridges win a Best Actor Oscar.

7Oscar picks 2010 Empty Re: Oscar picks 2010 Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:25 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Debaser77 wrote:I am pulling wholeheartedly for The Hurt Locker to win Best Picture and Best Director.

I'm sure the Academy will give it to Avatar and Cameron, though.
I'm not so sure about that. Oscars are a popularity contest, but they work out for the little guy sometimes. Slumdog Millionaire may have won from politics and it may have won fairly. *Shrugs* Haven't seen it yet. *chortle* Who knows? I'm thinking the Hurt Locker has Best Picture written all over it, despite not seeing it. An Education's whispers are getting louder. That synopis, to me, looks like it has Oscar written all over it. Although, with $750 million dollars needed to pay for Avatar, supposedly, it wouldn't surprise me if the politics of the studios having Avatar win, so they can make sales back, and push more 3D stuff just like it.

8Oscar picks 2010 Empty Re: Oscar picks 2010 Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:28 am

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thundermatts wrote:Are we supposed to pick what we think will win, or what we would like to see win?

what you would like to see win

but you can speculate over what will win

9Oscar picks 2010 Empty Re: Oscar picks 2010 Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:13 am

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Thundermatts wrote:Are we supposed to pick what we think will win, or what we would like to see win?
That's what always make me irk with these kind of lists. One person lists what he thinks is going to win, while another picks his favorites to win, so it ends up being a bizarre mix.

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

10Oscar picks 2010 Empty Re: Oscar picks 2010 Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:18 am

Debaser77

Debaser77

Politics may lead to The Hurt Locker at least winning Best Director to set a precedent. Kathryn Bigelow totally deserves it, either way.

11Oscar picks 2010 Empty Re: Oscar picks 2010 Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:12 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

If Crash can win Best Picture, then so can The Hurt Locker.

12Oscar picks 2010 Empty Re: Oscar picks 2010 Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:17 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

^ Crash was a last minute pick to prevent picketings from gay bashers, in my opinion. I didn't hate the movie, but it was not good enough to win Best Picture. I still haven't seen Brokeback Mountain, so I can't say whether that movie was more deserving, but it was the definite frontrunner for that year.

13Oscar picks 2010 Empty Re: Oscar picks 2010 Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:24 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Yes, Brokeback Mountain was worth the win more than Crash. I liked Crash but it was overrated. Same goes for The Departed, but IIRC there were no other real contenders that year.

14Oscar picks 2010 Empty Re: Oscar picks 2010 Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:29 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77

I loved The Departed, but its win was more of a correction of the several times when Scorsese deserved to win but didn't, like when he lost to Kevin Fucking Costner in 1990.

15Oscar picks 2010 Empty Re: Oscar picks 2010 Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:33 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Oh, yes.

The Academy have a tendency doing such crappy moves. Like not giving Russell Crowe an Oscar for The Insider in 1999 but "correcting" it a year later with Gladiator.

16Oscar picks 2010 Empty Re: Oscar picks 2010 Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:38 pm

Combo Mo

Combo Mo
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Tomer Soiker wrote:Yes, Brokeback Mountain was worth the win more than Crash. I liked Crash but it was overrated. Same goes for The Departed, but IIRC there were no other real contenders that year.

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
CAPOTE
CRASH
GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK
MUNICH

...Crash was the only nominee I watched that year...It was ok, but I was surprised it was even nominated. Definately overrated.

BABEL
THE DEPARTED
LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA
LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
THE QUEEN

...Didn't see Babel or The Queen, and even though The Departed was an amazing film, I liked Little Miss Sunshine and Letters from Iwo Jima more.

17Oscar picks 2010 Empty Re: Oscar picks 2010 Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:52 pm

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Babel was worse than Crash. I wish Little Miss Sunshine would've won.

18Oscar picks 2010 Empty Re: Oscar picks 2010 Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:36 pm

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Crash is amazing. I like it alot. Brokeback Mountain is simply boring. That's it. Just boring as hell, a three thousand word short story does not a two hour film make. Great acting and all that, but the story goes no where fast. Shouldn't have even been nominated IMO.

As for this year, I would love to see Harry Potter get recognized for being so beautiful to look at. It really is one of the prettiest movies I've seen in a long while.

19Oscar picks 2010 Empty Re: Oscar picks 2010 Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:43 pm

Combo Mo

Combo Mo
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thundermatts wrote:
As for this year, I would love to see Harry Potter get recognized for being so beautiful to look at. It really is one of the prettiest movies I've seen in a long while.

I definately think it will be nominated for Best Cinematography...but The Hurt Locker might have it beat.

Tough call...both were amazing and deserving.

20Oscar picks 2010 Empty Re: Oscar picks 2010 Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:54 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Thundermatts wrote:Crash is amazing. I like it alot. Brokeback Mountain is simply boring. That's it. Just boring as hell, a three thousand word short story does not a two hour film make. Great acting and all that, but the story goes no where fast. Shouldn't have even been nominated IMO.
Holy crap, that was what I was going to say! We have a similar opinion? I'm scared.

If it was about a straight couple, I think everyone would've saw the boringness of it all, and the cliched, forbidden-love schtick as nothing more than a simple outline to a movie that drags itself to the credits. Wasn't this breakthrough, taboo film, it was this bleak romance that didn't show really any of the niceties of a relationship, just the foreboding scenario as the end result of two characters that didn't really show emotional connection as deeply as the film could have portrayed.

21Oscar picks 2010 Empty Re: Oscar picks 2010 Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:57 pm

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I would love a film that really sank it's teeth into a gay relationship the way Brokeback was supposed to. And don't get me started on the first time they have sex. It all just comes out of no where, it's like it happenes just because it's written in a script, nothing in that film develops naturally, everything just happens, in the slowest and most boring way possible.

22Oscar picks 2010 Empty Re: Oscar picks 2010 Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:07 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ yes It's like Twilight, in that they all just mechanically love each other for no other reason than to skip over character development.

23Oscar picks 2010 Empty Re: Oscar picks 2010 Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:14 pm

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Ha! Correctly stated sir.

24Oscar picks 2010 Empty Re: Oscar picks 2010 Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:41 pm

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

i guess some of the predictions wern't to far off

25Oscar picks 2010 Empty Re: Oscar picks 2010 Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:10 pm

Combo Mo

Combo Mo
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

melvinlikechris wrote:i guess some of the predictions wern't to far off
Smile

Not final...but for now, I'm sticking by my predictions I made in December:

Combo Mo wrote:Best Picture: The Hurt Locker
Best Actor: Jeff Bridges (Crazy Heart)
Best Actress: Carey Mulligan (An Education)
Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Waltz (Inglorious Basterds)
Best Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique (Precious)
Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum