Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Blackest Night: The Flash

+15
Bigtymin504
Aussiemandias
prescribeddrone
LOOSECANNON
LordD3r3k
Jherek
Metal Misfit
Spider_Fan14
Batman25JM
Kelson
shiky800
comicgeekelly
rwe1138
Sandman
BlueMaxx
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:05 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Meh. I don't care much for the Rogues so wasn't really into their parts, especially since it was typical Black Lantern fair we've seen dozens of times now. The Blue Lantern Flash stuff was solid but nothing extraordinary. And I don't think Kolins's art was too sharp either.

27Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:09 am

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Issue #2 rocked on so many levels. I am digging this mini a lot.

28Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:32 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Blackest Night: The Flash #2

Let’s face it; most event tie-in books are hardly ever good. Due to mandatory editing structures, many of them are either strong titles that get bogged down with limited story structure, and many other titles contain plots that are surprisingly irrelevant to the events in the main book. A couple of Blackest Night tie-in minis that go “outside the box” are actually two of their latest ones: Wonder Woman and The Flash. In the latest Blackest Night: Wonder Woman, we actually saw continuation from Blackest Night #6 when Diana sported her Victoria Secret PINK-inspired new look. We get more of the same in this newest issue from Geoff Johns, as the transaction of Barry Allen sporting his new blues is further emphasized and elucidated. I guess it helps when the director of this event also writes the tie-in.

Unfortunately, when it comes to Barry’s Rogues facing off against their now dead, former teammates/family members, we get more of the same. Captain Cold and gang confront these now callously, wrathful figures, such as Golden Glider and the first Mirror Master, in an Iron Heights Penitentiary invasion. It’s not as epic or as impactful as I initially hoped. Even bad guy vs. bad guy battles do nothing to save Blackest Night’s now routine plot device. As a huge fan of the Final Crisis mini, Revenge of the Rogues, as well as Geoff Johns classic trade Rogue War, this couldn’t be more disappointing.

The other plot thread, showing off The Flash’s new shiney blue ring that makes him faster (really?), cooler looking for toy collectors (ahh!), and more boring during battles (“All will be well” is said over…and over), isn’t all that much better. But what makes this storyline stand out from the other is that it has direct influence from the main story. I couldn’t help but feel pure elation in seeing the splash page that shows off Barry’s new attire, maybe for no other reason than not having to see two similar-looking heroes work together, at least temporarily. Wally West fans should be thrilled. It should be interesting to see if Johns places Barry Allen with a situation that demands the utilization of these newly found tools.

Scott Kollins artwork in this issue is also sloppier than usual. His style is normally cartoony, and jagged, and that’s always worked to the extreme beneficiary of Flash’s deep roster of Rogues. It allowed for some larger-than-life personalities to shine second to only Batman’s most-feared crooks. These characters were so fun to watch, so heavily empathized, that I’m not sure whether most fans of the title were rooting for Wally and these hapless goons. I know from a personal standpoint that issues not featuring Captain Boomerang, Weather Wizard and friends were nowhere nearly as enjoyable. It’s unfortunate we’re stuck with an added level of serration in the inks, as it left for some rather forgettable panels.

There’s no doubt the pieces to this mini are present, as Geoff Johns is covering all the bases in the world of Flash. It’s just a matter of fact on whether we’re going to get some solidity in telling the distinct point to the new Blue and the roles the new Rogues have upon this status quo. How does Blackest Night impact the Rogues other than zombies cracking jokes and taking names? What are the Rogues going to do in response to this rebirth of Barry Allen? What do they have to say about Professor Zoom aka the Reverse Flash? Here’s to hoping all these pieces to the puzzle get put together, sooner than later.

3/5 Bags&Boards – Entertaining mini that has all the means of setting up a remarkable finale. Since Flash stories involving the Rogues in the past have been so great, it’s not easy to live up to.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

29Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:44 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Meh. I don't care much for the Rogues so wasn't really into their parts, especially since it was typical Black Lantern fair we've seen dozens of times now. The Blue Lantern Flash stuff was solid but nothing extraordinary. And I don't think Kolins's art was too sharp either.
I guess that's true about the Black Lantern side of things. If you were going to criticise Blackest Night I think even the most biased person would have to admit we've seen the same thing over and over again with these Black Lanterns and I think it's just started to get a little monotonous. Even the great Geoff Johns isn't above milking an idea for all its worth (or is that beating a "dead" horse?). With that being said I'd have to say I didn't mind it as much here because I like the Rogues. It's next issue, however, that I'm interested in as it looks like something intriguing may be going on with the Boomerang side of things.

30Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:20 am

Sandman

Sandman
Ninja
Ninja

I guess I am the only one that still does not mind, even still likes all the interaction with the black lanterns. I think it is interesting to see how everyone deals with it when they are faced with it.

31Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:13 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Sandman wrote:I guess I am the only one that still does not mind, even still likes all the interaction with the black lanterns. I think it is interesting to see how everyone deals with it when they are faced with it.

You aren't the only one. I'm loving this stuff. It's what the Black Lanterns are, and just because we are seeing it in multiple titles across multiple issue doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the hell out of it. Like you said, it's interesting to see how everyone deals with it.

I thought Blackest Night: Flash #2 was great. I LOVE the Rogues and I want to see them deal with their fallen comrades. And thanks to Blackest Night I'm becoming a huge Barry Allen fan. I loved him here.

I can't wait for issue #3.

32Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:18 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This was a good book, but my lack of Flash rogues knowledge hurt my enjoying of it.

33Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:56 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:
Sandman wrote:I guess I am the only one that still does not mind, even still likes all the interaction with the black lanterns. I think it is interesting to see how everyone deals with it when they are faced with it.

You aren't the only one. I'm loving this stuff. It's what the Black Lanterns are, and just because we are seeing it in multiple titles across multiple issue doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the hell out of it. Like you said, it's interesting to see how everyone deals with it.

I thought Blackest Night: Flash #2 was great. I LOVE the Rogues and I want to see them deal with their fallen comrades. And thanks to Blackest Night I'm becoming a huge Barry Allen fan. I loved him here.

I can't wait for issue #3.

I'm with you 100%. I cannot wait to see Father and son Captain Boomerang. Should be a great issue.

34Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:10 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Since we're already getting more than enough Barry Allen in Blackest Night, I wish instead of this mini we got a one-shot or something focusing on Orange Lantern Lex Luthor and Larfleeze. I think that would've been a hoot!

35Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:19 pm

shiky800

shiky800
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

give us the last issue of rebirth

36Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:48 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I thought #2 was pretty solid. I wonder what it is that Boomerang Jr "figured out" in regards to saving the Black Lanterns

37Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:42 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

#3 was good, but parts of it confused me.

On the first panel with the Rogues, Mirror Master was behind Cold (and given Trickster's speech bubble), but what was going on with MM & Cold at the top of the next page? Was MM not supposed to be in the previous panel?

And what was up with Thawne's coloring in Iron Heights?

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

38Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:12 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I tell ya, Cold has to be one of he best sleeper hit villains. His twisted moral code makes him an interesting character

39Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:58 am

Kelson

Kelson
Cadet
Cadet

I thought issue #3 was a big improvement over #2, especially the Barry, Wally and Bart thread. I also really liked the way Scott Kolins used visual parallels, both within this issue and echoing images from earlier in the miniseries.

As or the Boomerang story...I thought it worked well *on its own* as a chillingly effective portrayal of someone lost and desperate turning down the wrong path and letting himself be manipulated and falling into darkness (kind of a Tales of the Black Freighter story). In the long run, though, I think it damages the character.

Now if only the story actually had a conclusion and not a big "To be continued in..." sign at the end.

Here's my full review at Speed Force.

http://speedforce.org/

40Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:08 pm

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Kelson wrote:As or the Boomerang story...I thought it worked well *on its own* as a chillingly effective portrayal of someone lost and desperate turning down the wrong path and letting himself be manipulated and falling into darkness (kind of a Tales of the Black Freighter story). In the long run, though, I think it damages the character.

I disagree. I feel like Johns addressed the problems with Boomer very well. No one knew what they wanted to do with him, and as a result he became this worthless character. The fact that he went so far down the rabbit hole that the Rogues were forced to deal with him was, I thought, the most brilliant thing that could have been done with him.

41Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:50 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I liked issue #3 quite a bit. This book and the BN: Batman book were my favorite of the BN minis.

rwe1138 wrote:#3 was good, but parts of it confused me.

On the first panel with the Rogues, Mirror Master was behind Cold (and given Trickster's speech bubble), but what was going on with MM & Cold at the top of the next page? Was MM not supposed to be in the previous panel?

And what was up with Thawne's coloring in Iron Heights?

I too was confused by the Mirror Master thing.

LordD3r3k wrote:I tell ya, Cold has to be one of he best sleeper hit villains. His twisted moral code makes him an interesting character

I completely agree. Captain Cold is a VERY close second for my favorite DC villain (the Joker being my favorite). I've said it before and I'll say it again, I would SO read a Rogues onging. They are just such interesting characters, especially Cold.

42Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:58 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

superdoug wrote:I disagree. I feel like Johns addressed the problems with Boomer very well. No one knew what they wanted to do with him, and as a result he became this worthless character. The fact that he went so far down the rabbit hole that the Rogues were forced to deal with him was, I thought, the most brilliant thing that could have been done with him.

Agreed. I thought it was interesting in two ways, 1. seeing how desperate Boom Jr became, and 2. seeing that warped moral code of Captain Cold. I think it was a great scene.

43Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:15 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

#3 was definitely the best issue of the series. The pushing people in the pit scenes kept reminding me of 300. Laughing

It was interesting that the Speed Force provided Bart with an out from the BL Corps. I'm still holding out hope (heh) that Supes is able to shake off the BL ring soon too...and I still think he deserved the Blue Lantern deputy status over Barry. Like Diana's love for Earth is unparalleled, nobody has more hope in humanity than Superman.

And anyone else notice the "Brightest Day" symbol radiating from the imprisoned Reverse-Flash? Very interesting...

44Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:01 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Loved it.

45Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:59 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:And anyone else notice the "Brightest Day" symbol radiating from the imprisoned Reverse-Flash? Very interesting...

Was it? I looked at it quick and just assumed it was the Black Lantern symbol. I'll have to look again.

46Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:51 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:And anyone else notice the "Brightest Day" symbol radiating from the imprisoned Reverse-Flash? Very interesting...

Was it? I looked at it quick and just assumed it was the Black Lantern symbol. I'll have to look again.

I did the same thing...but look again. Wink

Its interesting that the BL Rogues seem to be in awe of it...

47Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:27 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:I did the same thing...but look again. Wink

Its interesting that the BL Rogues seem to be in awe of it...

Hmm, that's a bit of craziness. And like you said, why would he have it? The plot thickens..

48Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:02 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

BN: The Flash #3

I gave this mini's second issue a long comprehensive review but I wish I had waited another month. This is how you put together an event tie-in!

Like many of you, I was a bit befuddled at a few happenings in the ish; in hindsight, it never mattered. The only thing I can think about for the early Mirror Master mishap is that he's the um, Mirror Master? That illusion could be there for a reason (though there is an unquestionable bubble error with Trickster). More importantly, the heavy revelations in this finale make sense. For sake of not spoiling, I'll just say they each took me a few moments of reflection before scanning the next page. Unsurprisingly, the incident concerning the Rogues was more alarming despite that neither of this issue's splash pages were spine-chilling.

And for those requesting a Rogues book, be careful. You might just get what you wish for with a back-up that supports the upcoming Flash reboot and pay $3.99. Just sayin'.

4/5 Bags&Boards - Outstanding, albeit confusing finish that makes BN: The Flash the event's best mini. Considering Johns wrote it...

49Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:32 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LOOSECANNON wrote:
And for those requesting a Rogues book, be careful. You might just get what you wish for with a back-up that supports the upcoming Flash reboot and pay $3.99. Just sayin'.

As long as Johns is writing the backup I'd be more than willing to pay $3.99 for the Flash book if it had a Rogues backup.

50Blackest Night: The Flash - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: The Flash Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:07 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Good point.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum