Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Blackest Night: Wonder Woman

+11
jaydee74
Sandman
Aussiemandias
LOOSECANNON
Batman25JM
shining knight
Debaser77
Rath99
LordD3r3k
Bigtymin504
rwe1138
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Blackest Night: Wonder Woman - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:29 pm

Fresh03

Fresh03
Ninja
Ninja

Just went and did some research Doug, you're actually right, her current powers are derived from a blessing given to her by each of the Goddesses, her beauty and love come from Aphrodite, so I stand corrected.

When you mentioned it I started to question that myself because I thought I recalled something about Athena being mentioned not that long ago, so there you go.

Still, makes sense that Aphrodite wouldn't let WW's love be corrupted by Nekron and the BL's.

27Blackest Night: Wonder Woman - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:07 am

Sandman

Sandman
Ninja
Ninja

how come she does not have to say SHAZAM!? Suspect

28Blackest Night: Wonder Woman - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:53 pm

rwe1138

rwe1138

#3 was pretty good. Gorgeous art, of course. And Larfleeze squabbling with Lex on the last page was a nice touch.

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

29Blackest Night: Wonder Woman - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:20 pm

LOOSECANNON

LOOSECANNON
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

BN: WW #3

Other than a major creative screw-up towards issue's end, this was yet another fine issue of Blackest Night: Wonder Woman. Greg Rucka has proven to have a handle on Diana, meshing both the Amazonian intensity and the quality of unpatrionized love like no other. If Gail Simone ever needed a breather, here's your man. I mentioned in the first issue's review of this mini-series that Nicola Scott's art would be a nice change-up for the regular ongoing. And just like that, our wish is granted, as Scott and Simone will team up (as they do on Secret Six) in a few months for a spew of Wonder Woman issues. Now that's the good news.

Bad news is, it's a Blackest Night tie-in. Meaning, we get a lot of useless fights, even between Diana herself and Mera, twice. The first fight meant something, the second one just got repetitive. It felt no more than a device used to channel Diana's narration. I did like the comradarie between Wonder Woman and Carol Ferris. The creative screw up? The most important--and would-be best looking part--of the issue fails at relaying it's message. Wonder Woman comes up with a costruct depicting some haunting things from Mera's past. The problem is, the connection between visual emotion and what's depicted doesn't resonate. I have no idea, other than to come up with my own assumptions, as to what Mera's so horrified about. We know about her thing with children, but the construct appears too vague. Oh well.

3.5/5 B&B - Easily one of BN's better tie-in's.

http://www.comicsbulletin.com

30Blackest Night: Wonder Woman - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:11 pm

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I really enjoyed #3. Not bad overall. Not great but not bad either.

31Blackest Night: Wonder Woman - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:26 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

#3 was more of the same, nothing to write home about. Wasn't even fun IMO.

Anyone pick up on Mera's supposed rage revelation?? Diana talked about it as if it was so blatantly obvious, but I just didn't see it in that scene...

32Blackest Night: Wonder Woman - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:33 am

Esbat

Esbat
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Having Diana as a Star Sapphire just feels right. Blessed by the Gods and then imbued with pure Love. She's like Batman with the GL or SC ring, just way overpowered but it makes a shit ton of sense.

http://realityfugitives.com/

33Blackest Night: Wonder Woman - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:43 am

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

#3 was the only issue I bought cause I'm intrigued by these heroes with new rings. And I only had 4 books this week, so I figured why not.

For only reading 1 issue of the 3, I enjoyed it. I made me wait at the doctors office go by faster.

34Blackest Night: Wonder Woman - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:32 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Anyone pick up on Mera's supposed rage revelation?? Diana talked about it as if it was so blatantly obvious, but I just didn't see it in that scene...

Black Manta trapped their son in a containment bubble, slowly suffocating him. Mera went on a quest to find the right elements to destroy the bubble, but by the time she returned it was too late, and the baby died. This caused a huge rift between her and Aquaman, which has fueled her rage considering she never wanted the child in the first place. So to have an unwanted baby, then not being good enough to save it, which caused the unraveling of your marriage.. yeah, rage.

35Blackest Night: Wonder Woman - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 pm

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I liked the reference to Diana & Bruce's relationship. It's not the first time Rucka's played with it. I think it's a story he really wants to get his hands on if it ever presents itself

36Blackest Night: Wonder Woman - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:47 pm

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:Anyone pick up on Mera's supposed rage revelation?? Diana talked about it as if it was so blatantly obvious, but I just didn't see it in that scene...

Black Manta trapped their son in a containment bubble, slowly suffocating him. Mera went on a quest to find the right elements to destroy the bubble, but by the time she returned it was too late, and the baby died. This caused a huge rift between her and Aquaman, which has fueled her rage considering she never wanted the child in the first place. So to have an unwanted baby, then not being good enough to save it, which caused the unraveling of your marriage.. yeah, rage.
And the important thing is that it's mostly directed at herself. She hates herself.

I thought this issue was better than the previous two but overall I'm just not sure these three issues did a whole lot. However, I thoroughly enjoyed Nicola Scott's art on these books - I think she's made for Wonder Woman.

And I guess now we know why Mera's had a fairly big role in Blackest Night - Aquaman and his world looks to be a big focus of Brightest Day when it gets going so I imagine Mera's going to play a key part in all of that.

37Blackest Night: Wonder Woman - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:23 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:

Cool thanks. Was I supposed to decipher that from the scene itself or did you just know all that going in? huh

38Blackest Night: Wonder Woman - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:26 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Cool thanks. Was I supposed to decipher that from the scene itself or did you just know all that going in? huh

I knew parts of it, not the whole thing. I knew their baby died (though not that Mera was to blame), and I knew her and Arthur had a rocky relationship. And we learned in a previous BN issue that Mera didn't want the child to begin with. So part I knew, part I filled in with other resources Wink

But, that goes back to a point of mine that sometimes a writer just has to tell their story and hope the readers are following. For example, during Secret Invasion in the scene with Hawkeye and..uh, his girlfriend. I didn't know their history but I was able to follow it well enough. And yes, sometimes the artist needs to help clarify those plot points with their layouts, which I agree, could have been alittle stronger here. Maybe a scene of Mera holding the dead baby with Arthur giving her a disapproving look would have helped?

39Blackest Night: Wonder Woman - Page 2 Empty Re: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:53 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:Cool thanks. Was I supposed to decipher that from the scene itself or did you just know all that going in? huh

I knew parts of it, not the whole thing. I knew their baby died (though not that Mera was to blame), and I knew her and Arthur had a rocky relationship. And we learned in a previous BN issue that Mera didn't want the child to begin with. So part I knew, part I filled in with other resources Wink

But, that goes back to a point of mine that sometimes a writer just has to tell their story and hope the readers are following. For example, during Secret Invasion in the scene with Hawkeye and..uh, his girlfriend. I didn't know their history but I was able to follow it well enough. And yes, sometimes the artist needs to help clarify those plot points with their layouts, which I agree, could have been alittle stronger here. Maybe a scene of Mera holding the dead baby with Arthur giving her a disapproving look would have helped?

Yeah I looked at the montage several times trying to figure out exactly what Diana discovered and couldn't really tell. But I figured it had something to do with Mera's baby and stuff.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum