Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

PoP! Top Six-Pack Special Edition: PoP! Goes The Decade!

+3
Mnemosis
BlueMaxx
Administrator
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

http://panelsonpages.com/?p=16711

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Liked the article, guys. Some tweeks need to be done with page 7 and 9 to keep the reading progression going without backspacing, but I enjoyed all the choices made.

Except for Secret Invasion. Although, comics are the backbone of the site. So, fair enough.

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Like it or not, Secret Invasion was the biggest comics event last year.

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Not in my eyes, but I can see that for others it was. Final Crisis, although almost as unlikeable, was bigger. FC dealt with everything, while Secret Invasion just felt like a commercial vaguely revolving around main characters of the MU. Eh.

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

I will box you for your remarks, sirrah.

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ I'll deduction-box you like Sherlock Holmes, siree. Box your ears, bash the ribs, break the jaw, if I remember correctly. Wink

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I would agree that Final Crisis was bigger than Secret Invasion, but I wasn't surprised at its omission considering that article was fairly biased in favor of Marvel.

Mnemosis

Mnemosis
The Robert Frost of Poop

Who cares if the article had two asses?

How much lasting effect did Final Crisis have, aside from the "death" of Batman that was happening in his own title anyways?

How much lasting effect did Secret Invasion have, aside from restructuring the Marvel Universe almost completely?

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Not that I think any of the stories were better than the other (FC sucked completely, SI lost it mid-way), but the lasting affects of Marvel's event are still here and it crushed FC in the sales charts.

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

Joshua wrote:I would agree that Final Crisis was bigger than Secret Invasion, but I wasn't surprised at its omission considering that article was fairly biased in favor of Marvel.

Is this the WUMB?

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Silent K wrote:
Joshua wrote:I would agree that Final Crisis was bigger than Secret Invasion, but I wasn't surprised at its omission considering that article was fairly biased in favor of Marvel.

Is this the WUMB?
Huh?

My comment was neither praise or criticism, simply an observation.

Chi-Town Spidey

Chi-Town Spidey
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:
Silent K wrote:

Is this the WUMB?
Huh?

You forgot, it was too sexy as well.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Chi-Town-Spidey/1331652244

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

Joshua wrote:
Silent K wrote:

Is this the WUMB?
Huh?

Hmmm. I coulda swore I stumbled into the WUMB circa 2008.

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I guess I'm missing something. don't know

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I gotta say where was identity crisis? or infinite crisis or 52?

those three had huge ass repercussion on the dcu that are still being felt today. I can see why Joshua feels like theres a bit of a marvel bias

oh and as mentioned in the comments wheres my doctor who?

other than those pretty good list

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

shining knight wrote:I gotta say where was identity crisis? or infinite crisis or 52?

those three had huge ass repercussion on the dcu that are still being felt today. I can see why Joshua feels like theres a bit of a marvel bias

oh and as mentioned in the comments wheres my doctor who?

other than those pretty good list

Each writer chose the 6 for their respective years. Personally...I don't know what the fuck happened in Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, or 52. I know what happened in House of M, Civil War, and Secret Invasion.

What would have been monumental for Dr. Who? The 50 lead actors they've gone through?

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

the fact that it is back after 16 years and its as popular as its ever been?

The fact that an entire generation of brits now have their own personal doctor in David Tennant

The fact that it is much, much better than half of the tv shows actually listed on the list?

Or how about the fact that its the longest running science fiction show ever.

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

shining knight wrote:the fact that it is back after 16 years and its as popular as its ever been?

The fact that an entire generation of brits now have their own personal doctor in David Tennant

The fact that it is much, much better than half of the tv shows actually listed on the list?

Or how about the fact that its the longest running science fiction show ever.

Where would any of those fit into a 6-pointed article on each year of the '00s?

shining knight

shining knight
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

it came back in 2005 even one little line under tv would have fine

Doctor who returned after sixteen years in limbo and proved it still had some life in it

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

^ Two of those are facts that could be used twisted by any other show ("It's the most popular animated show since..." etc.) and the others are your own subjective opinion. Like Knize said, everyone focused on a year or two (or three) and picked six important stuff related to our geek world from their own PERSONAL perspective.

If I had to cover the year Doctor Who returned, I wouldn't have picked it either because it didn't affect MY world.

Here's a rundown of the amount of coverage of each of the Big Two:

2000 - DC: 2 (AOL/Time Warner deal counts, Stan Lee goes DC), Marvel: 1 (the X-Men movie - and technically it's "only" based on a Marvel property)

2001 (that's by me) - DC: 1 (Animated JL), Marvel: 1 (covering Marvel's big successful year because face it - DC went to sleep that year and Marvel started taking over back again)

2002 - DC - 0 (Don't remember anything important that went down that year, but here the "personal POV" really comes to play), Marvel: 2 (Ultimates and the Spider-Man movie, no doubt big and impacting events)

2003 - DC: 2 (mention of the LoEG movie's suckiness and the the Batman toy line), Marvel: 1 (X2)(Wanted)

2004 - DC: 0, Marvel: 1 (New Avengers)

2005 - DC: 1 (Batman Begins), Marvel: 2 (Marvel Entertainment and House of M)

2006 - DC: 2 (V For Vendetta and Superman Returns), Marvel: 2 (X-Men 3 and Civil War)

2007 - DC: 0, Marvel: 1 (Spider-Man's bad year)

2008 - DC: 1 (The Dark Knight), Marvel: 2 (Marvel Studios and Secret Invasion))

2009 (me again) - DC: 3 (Dominating the sales charts, DC Comics reformed and Watchmen), Marvel: 2 (mentioned in the part about sales charts, the Walt Disney merge)

Like I said, it's all personal opinion. If I had done the whole list and if anyone else was doing the whole list - they would've been completely different from one another and from published list.

To quote myself:

(...)I’m kind of tired of all those year-end summaries and countdowns(...) eventually they always end up being subjective, never relate to me and result in angry comments (see the recent “Best Comics of the ’00s” list by AV Club and all the criticism it generated).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum