Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks)

+23
Batman25JM
Heytherejeffro
Tom
blue halo
CherriesJubilee
Thundermatts
Spaced4SimonPegg
Rath99
AlienIncognito
Denim
riv1
jaydee74
pink*lantern
MillionDollarGeek
Debaser77
Silent K
supervenom
TENIME_art
superdoug
Joshua
ChrisToPhenom
BlueMaxx
melvinlikechris
27 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:07 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The reviews are trickling in:

The Willis-Morgan team is about as on point as four legs with the ankles missing. The sequel will undoubtedly star Adam Sandler and Chris Tucker.
This is some soul-sapping dada with which director Kevin Smith is staining his already-dubious résumé.
Vastly disappointing, Kevin Smith's poorly conceived, helmed, and executed film desperately tries to combine humor and violence a la 48 Hours and Midnight Run, but alas, from the start there's no emotional involvement in the material.

27Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:56 pm

ChrisToPhenom

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I really want to see this film, it looks like comedy gold if you ask me!

"I'm good! I'm strong! I'm superman!"

His eyes were shining when he said that! *Lol*

28Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:04 pm

Heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Kevin Smith hasn't made a good movie in a long time IMO, and that hurts my heart.

https://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

29Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:09 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I was watching Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back recently for the first time in years and realized that I've aged considerably because, while I still enjoyed some of it, a lot of the movie was far less funny than I remembered.

30Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:12 pm

Heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah, I think that's when he really started to parody himself. Also, giving props to your friends works better when they're obscure, as opposed to hooking up your celebrity friends with cameos (or vice-versa).
I get laughs out of Jay and Silent Bob (especially the ass-kicking at the end), but ultimately I've been unimpressed in the past 7 years or so.

Side note: His movies are much more enjoyable with the commentary on.

https://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

31Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:22 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm not the biggest Kevin Smith fan. While I love his work in comics (his Daredevil and Green Arrow runs are awesome) the only movies of his I've seen are Mallrats and parts of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. It's been so long since I've seen Mallrats that I don't remember most of it.

The red band trailer makes this look extremely funny, but I'm not sold on seeing it in theaters. I'll probably just wait for the DVD.

Joshua wrote:
jaydee74 wrote:Not a huge Tracy Morgan fan but Sean Scott Williams will keep me away from just about any movie. Yeah. Just not interested in this movie.
I hope he didn't keep you away from Role Models, that movie was dynamite.

I didn't find Role Models very funny. That was one of the most disappointing movies I've seen in a while. With Paul Rudd and Jane Lynch I was expecting to love it, but I only laughed a couple of times.

32Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:23 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Heytherejeffro wrote:Yeah, I think that's when he really started to parody himself. Also, giving props to your friends works better when they're obscure, as opposed to hooking up your celebrity friends with cameos (or vice-versa).
I get laughs out of Jay and Silent Bob (especially the ass-kicking at the end), but ultimately I've been unimpressed in the past 7 years or so.

Side note: His movies are much more enjoyable with the commentary on.
Word, bitch. The Jersey Girl commentary with Smith and Mewes is great. It's definitely the best thing about Jersey Girl.

I didn't find Role Models very funny. That was one of the most disappointing movies I've seen in a while. With Paul Rudd and Jane Lynch I was expecting to love it, but I only laughed a couple of times.
That's not surprising, you and I tend to be on opposite ends of the movie spectrum, particularly when it comes to comedy. While I'm sure there's some crossover, you're often unimpressed with movies I think are hilarious and vice versa.

33Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:37 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:

That's not surprising, you and I tend to be on opposite ends of the movie spectrum, particularly when it comes to comedy. While I'm sure there's some crossover, you're often unimpressed with movies I think are hilarious and vice versa.

Agreed, I think the whole Planes, Trains, and Automobiles thing taught us this. Very Happy

34Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:35 pm

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Rath99 wrote:A large part of this movie was filmed in my nieghborhood. They actually did some filming on the block I live on. I did see Kev Smith and Tracy Morgan. I actually almost ruined a take as I was walking home from the store. One guy gave me the ok to walk through and as I'm walking I hear "ROLLING"...followed quickly by..."STOP"...as the guy who gave me the ok to walk by was chasing me down lol.

Really? Where in Brooklyn? I'm here in BK as well, 10 minutes away from Prospect Park.

35Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:09 am

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

BLAARGH! Kevin Smith, by ME!

36Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:10 pm

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:I'm not the biggest Kevin Smith fan. While I love his work in comics (his Daredevil and Green Arrow runs are awesome) the only movies of his I've seen are Mallrats and parts of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. It's been so long since I've seen Mallrats that I don't remember most of it.

The red band trailer makes this look extremely funny, but I'm not sold on seeing it in theaters. I'll probably just wait for the DVD.

Joshua wrote:
jaydee74 wrote:Not a huge Tracy Morgan fan but Sean Scott Williams will keep me away from just about any movie. Yeah. Just not interested in this movie.
I hope he didn't keep you away from Role Models, that movie was dynamite.

Seriously, that literally means something is wrong with you. You should go to the doctor.

37Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:24 pm

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

I'm seriously starting to think that Tracy Morgan is turning into a real-life Tracy Jordan.

"We didn't land on Plymouth Rock...Plymouth Rock landed on Mars."

38Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:32 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Richard Roeper, a movie critic who is a fan of Kevin Smith, detests Cop Out:

I predict that Lee will force himself to like this movie regardless of how he truly feels about it, simply because we're all railing against it so hard.

39Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

Joshua wrote:
I predict that Lee will force himself to like this movie regardless of how he truly feels about it, simply because we're all railing against it so hard.
You know, I don't intentionally like genuinely bad things until they cross over into the realm of "so-bad-it's-good," but that's a different kind of entertainment. For all the shit I catch for it, I genuinely enjoy TF2. Will I dig Cop Out? I hope I do. I'm a Smith fan. We'll see how it comes out.

That's the thing here. Have any of you actually seen it, or are you just hating on it for the reviews of critics?

http://www.leerodriguez.net

40Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:54 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Lee wrote:
That's the thing here. Have any of you actually seen it, or are you just hating on it for the reviews of critics?
I've seen the trailer, the abysmal critical reviews (it's dangerously close to Elektra/Catwoman territory with a paltry 16%), and the writers' bland filmography. Those three things combined is more than enough to keep me from ever watching Cop Out.

41Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:36 am

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

Saw it today. Despite what you all may think of my dubious taste in movies, trust me when I say it's really damn funny. The wife and I both enjoyed the hell out of it.

http://panelsonpages.com/?p=19954

42Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:39 am

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Lee I wanted to not see this because of my hatred, not for Smith because I dont care one way or the other, of Tracey Morgan. I do not like him much in comedy. So how was he in the movie? annoying or actually entertaining?

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

43Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:48 am

Lee

Lee
Administrator
Administrator

Linked to the review, brosef. Morgan's definitely the weak link, but it's REALLY funny despite him.

44Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:50 am

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

i read it but some how i missed this entire paragraph
t’s a Morgan-heavy scene, and he’s easily the weak link in the chain here. He’s not bad. In fact, he’s pretty great in the movie overall, but he DOES go a little too over-the-top in a few scenes, and that’s a shame considering how good the rest of the movie is. The whole “Is Paul’s wife cheating” subplot seems a bit unnecessary, too, but it’s never SO present that it distracts from the main plot. So the movie has its problems, but overall, it’s really funny.

I think I read Morgan and went... um fuck that skip to the next lol

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

45Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:25 pm

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

I noticed that all the TV spots don't even mention that it's directed by Kevin Smith. Awww he's trying to grow up! Good for him!

https://www.facebook.com/people/Matt-Marshall/679612060#!/profile

46Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:27 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Paroxysm wrote:I noticed that all the TV spots don't even mention that it's directed by Kevin Smith.
Why would they? While I'm a fan of the majority of his work, he's not a household name by any stretch of the imagination.

47Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:55 pm

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

Joshua wrote:
Paroxysm wrote:I noticed that all the TV spots don't even mention that it's directed by Kevin Smith.
Why would they? While I'm a fan of the majority of his work, he's not a household name by any stretch of the imagination.

All the TV spots for J&SB:SB, Clerks 2, Jersey Girl and Zac and Miri did.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Matt-Marshall/679612060#!/profile

48Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) - Page 2 Empty Re: Cop Out (A Couple of Dicks) Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:39 pm

Thundermatts

Thundermatts
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Paroxysm wrote:I noticed that all the TV spots don't even mention that it's directed by Kevin Smith. Awww he's trying to grow up! Good for him!

He's not growing up, the studio thinks he's box office poison. This is the first semi hit he's had, and his name was no where near it in any sort of advertising.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum