The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

POP! Reads

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

26 Re: POP! Reads on Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:02 am

flux336

Zombie
Zombie
Has anyone read Monarch of the Glen? It's a follow-up to A.G. It's included in Fragile Things.

View user profile

27 Re: POP! Reads on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:14 am

shark6495

Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate
so i feel like a bad reader. I started this book got half way into it then it just sort of fizzeled out on me... not great not bad just mhew.... maybe over the summer when I am not stuck studying the human body I will sit back down and try to read it from cover to cover

View user profile http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

28 Re: POP! Reads on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:32 am

BlueMaxx

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
^ It happens. And even books THAT I LOVE angry can't always be the cup o'tea for everyone. Laughing

flux336 wrote:Has anyone read Monarch of the Glen? It's a follow-up to A.G. It's included in Fragile Things.
Oh yes. Great inclusion of Beowulf and Grendel and the likes.

Thinking about it, kind of took it as even with our creating of our own myths, that we ourselves are gods/monsters to make our gods and monsters suffer. Gives us power subconsciously within our own disillusionments of superstition and beliefs. Too reaching? Honestly haven't thought about it, just took in the story.

View user profile

29 Re: POP! Reads on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:02 pm

flux336

Zombie
Zombie
shark6495 wrote:so i feel like a bad reader. I started this book got half way into it then it just sort of fizzeled out on me... not great not bad just mhew.... maybe over the summer when I am not stuck studying the human body I will sit back down and try to read it from cover to cover

Don't feel bad. At least you made the attempt. Smile It's not finishing a ton of books that makes someone a "good" reader. You made a thoughtful choice and decided not to continue. Sounds like a good reader to me.

View user profile

30 Re: POP! Reads on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:06 pm

flux336

Zombie
Zombie
BlueMaxx wrote:
flux336 wrote:Has anyone read Monarch of the Glen? It's a follow-up to A.G. It's included in Fragile Things.
Oh yes. Great inclusion of Beowulf and Grendel and the likes.

Thinking about it, kind of took it as even with our creating of our own myths, that we ourselves are gods/monsters to make our gods and monsters suffer. Gives us power subconsciously within our own disillusionments of superstition and beliefs. Too reaching? Honestly haven't thought about it, just took in the story.

We're all just torturing one another...that's the real Circle of Life. Laughing

On the subject of Balder/Baldur, how is it that the other gods or their incarnations, seemed to be transferred to the new world, but Balder got the chance to be reborn as a human? Is it because his other reincarnations died? I wish Gaiman had gone into that a bit more. Shadow was just too damn mysterious.

View user profile

31 Re: POP! Reads on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:04 pm

BlueMaxx

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
^ Baldr's main story is all about resurrection, and Christianity, being this nexus of mythologies--despite the reluctance of most Christians wanting to believe this fact--took the legend of Baldur and formed the story of The Christ. He actually wasn't human. He was, amongst the other gods and beings of myth, watered down in this practical and logical world whose beliefs confound them. That seemed to be part of the theme of Odin and Loki's attempt at a loophole. They're still imbued with the power that makes them who they are and so they needed something grand to gain the power they once had.

View user profile

32 Re: POP! Reads on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:38 am

flux336

Zombie
Zombie
^ Thanks for the info Blue. Smile

View user profile

33 Re: POP! Reads on Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:40 am

BlueMaxx

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
^ You complete me. neutral Laughing

View user profile

34 Re: POP! Reads on Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:01 pm

flux336

Zombie
Zombie
^ I love you Smile

View user profile

35 Re: POP! Reads on Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:07 pm

Heytherejeffro

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
^ ~ ~ <===8

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

36 Re: POP! Reads on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:35 pm

flux336

Zombie
Zombie
^^gross

View user profile

37 Re: POP! Reads on Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:03 am

BlueMaxx

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Yeah...Jeff...awkward. Laughing

View user profile

38 Re: POP! Reads on Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:15 am

flux336

Zombie
Zombie
The POP! Reads book for April is:

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

Last edited by flux336 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

39 Re: POP! Reads on Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:57 am

BlueMaxx

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Brooks' inspiration for the novel came from the book The Good War: An Oral History of World War Two by Studs Terkel, self-evident to those that know the novel would point out the title and text's structuring is a complete nod that book.

Thought that was a neat little piece of trivia.

Gonna give it a few more days until I feel we can start talking about the political commentary that is very thick in the book. The b.s. of the government doings. From the gloss, narrow-mindedness, and all around very believable circumstances brought on by nations and they're people/government.

View user profile

40 Re: POP! Reads on Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:21 pm

comicgeekelly

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
I'm not going to say much until other people read it, but I just want to say that it is scary how real this book can feel at times.

View user profile

41 Re: POP! Reads on Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:51 pm

flux336

Zombie
Zombie
I have the book on hold at the library, so I'll be able to post on it soon.

View user profile

42 Re: POP! Reads on Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:40 pm

I'll grab my copy and read through it when I go home this weekend. Funny, it's been floating around my house ever since I read through The Zombie Survival Guide, but I've never really thought about reading it until now...

View user profile http://dizzyclockwork.deviantart.com/

43 Re: POP! Reads on Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:54 am

I'm going to go buy Everything Is Going To Kill Everybody: Terrifyingly Real Ways The World Wants You Dead by Robert Brockway tomorrow. Good times.

View user profile

44 Re: POP! Reads on Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:59 am

Cliff

Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder
Damn. If I wasn't in the middle of about eight other books, I'd get my copy of WWZ back from my brother and join in.

View user profile

45 Re: POP! Reads on Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:40 pm

flux336

Zombie
Zombie
^There's still time

View user profile

46 Re: POP! Reads on Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:35 am

BlueMaxx

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
Got all month. Also, the thing I found about WWZ is that with its textbook style it can be easily picked back up at any given time with an easy retention of the material.

View user profile

47 Re: POP! Reads on Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:01 am

I literally just finished wwz, and lent it out. I went to three different bookstores, and not a damned one had Brockway's book Sad But the last store I went to had BADASS. Smile

View user profile

48 Re: POP! Reads on Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:14 pm

flux336

Zombie
Zombie
Ok, so this book really does seem like a textbook. blink I'm trying to get into it.

View user profile

49 Re: POP! Reads on Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:06 pm

comicgeekelly

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja
It took me a little while to get into it, but you eventually do.

View user profile

50 Re: POP! Reads on Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:58 pm

flux336

Zombie
Zombie
^I hope so. Smile

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum