Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

POP! Reads

+9
ravezombie
Heytherejeffro
comicgeekelly
Denim
BlueMaxx
shark6495
Cliff
Foreigner_Man
flux336
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

26POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:02 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

Has anyone read Monarch of the Glen? It's a follow-up to A.G. It's included in Fragile Things.

27POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:14 am

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

so i feel like a bad reader. I started this book got half way into it then it just sort of fizzeled out on me... not great not bad just mhew.... maybe over the summer when I am not stuck studying the human body I will sit back down and try to read it from cover to cover

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

28POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:32 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ It happens. And even books THAT I LOVE angry can't always be the cup o'tea for everyone. Laughing

flux336 wrote:Has anyone read Monarch of the Glen? It's a follow-up to A.G. It's included in Fragile Things.
Oh yes. Great inclusion of Beowulf and Grendel and the likes.

Thinking about it, kind of took it as even with our creating of our own myths, that we ourselves are gods/monsters to make our gods and monsters suffer. Gives us power subconsciously within our own disillusionments of superstition and beliefs. Too reaching? Honestly haven't thought about it, just took in the story.

29POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:02 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

shark6495 wrote:so i feel like a bad reader. I started this book got half way into it then it just sort of fizzeled out on me... not great not bad just mhew.... maybe over the summer when I am not stuck studying the human body I will sit back down and try to read it from cover to cover

Don't feel bad. At least you made the attempt. Smile It's not finishing a ton of books that makes someone a "good" reader. You made a thoughtful choice and decided not to continue. Sounds like a good reader to me.

30POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:06 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

BlueMaxx wrote:
flux336 wrote:Has anyone read Monarch of the Glen? It's a follow-up to A.G. It's included in Fragile Things.
Oh yes. Great inclusion of Beowulf and Grendel and the likes.

Thinking about it, kind of took it as even with our creating of our own myths, that we ourselves are gods/monsters to make our gods and monsters suffer. Gives us power subconsciously within our own disillusionments of superstition and beliefs. Too reaching? Honestly haven't thought about it, just took in the story.

We're all just torturing one another...that's the real Circle of Life. Laughing

On the subject of Balder/Baldur, how is it that the other gods or their incarnations, seemed to be transferred to the new world, but Balder got the chance to be reborn as a human? Is it because his other reincarnations died? I wish Gaiman had gone into that a bit more. Shadow was just too damn mysterious.

31POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:04 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Baldr's main story is all about resurrection, and Christianity, being this nexus of mythologies--despite the reluctance of most Christians wanting to believe this fact--took the legend of Baldur and formed the story of The Christ. He actually wasn't human. He was, amongst the other gods and beings of myth, watered down in this practical and logical world whose beliefs confound them. That seemed to be part of the theme of Odin and Loki's attempt at a loophole. They're still imbued with the power that makes them who they are and so they needed something grand to gain the power they once had.

32POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:38 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

^ Thanks for the info Blue. Smile

33POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:40 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ You complete me. neutral Laughing

34POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:01 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

^ I love you Smile

35POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:07 pm

Heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ ~ ~ <===8

https://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

36POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:35 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

^^gross

37POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:03 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah...Jeff...awkward. Laughing

38POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:15 am

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

The POP! Reads book for April is:
POP! Reads - Page 2 1024524-world_war_z_book_cover_supe

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

Last edited by flux336 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

39POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:57 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Brooks' inspiration for the novel came from the book The Good War: An Oral History of World War Two by Studs Terkel, self-evident to those that know the novel would point out the title and text's structuring is a complete nod that book.

Thought that was a neat little piece of trivia.

Gonna give it a few more days until I feel we can start talking about the political commentary that is very thick in the book. The b.s. of the government doings. From the gloss, narrow-mindedness, and all around very believable circumstances brought on by nations and they're people/government.

40POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:21 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm not going to say much until other people read it, but I just want to say that it is scary how real this book can feel at times.

41POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:51 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

I have the book on hold at the library, so I'll be able to post on it soon.

42POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:40 pm

ravezombie

ravezombie
Cadet
Cadet

I'll grab my copy and read through it when I go home this weekend. Funny, it's been floating around my house ever since I read through The Zombie Survival Guide, but I've never really thought about reading it until now...

http://dizzyclockwork.deviantart.com/

43POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:54 am

deadbolt85

deadbolt85
Ninja
Ninja

I'm going to go buy Everything Is Going To Kill Everybody: Terrifyingly Real Ways The World Wants You Dead by Robert Brockway tomorrow. Good times.

44POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:59 am

Cliff

Cliff
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Damn. If I wasn't in the middle of about eight other books, I'd get my copy of WWZ back from my brother and join in.

45POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:40 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

^There's still time

46POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:35 am

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Got all month. Also, the thing I found about WWZ is that with its textbook style it can be easily picked back up at any given time with an easy retention of the material.

47POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:01 am

deadbolt85

deadbolt85
Ninja
Ninja

I literally just finished wwz, and lent it out. I went to three different bookstores, and not a damned one had Brockway's book Sad But the last store I went to had BADASS. Smile

48POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:14 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

Ok, so this book really does seem like a textbook. blink I'm trying to get into it.

49POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:06 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

It took me a little while to get into it, but you eventually do.

50POP! Reads - Page 2 Empty Re: POP! Reads Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:58 pm

flux336

flux336
Zombie
Zombie

^I hope so. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum