Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

does cussing and sex jokes make a movie funny?

+14
Spaced4SimonPegg
Silent K
supervenom
BlueMaxx
Debaser77
jaydee74
comicgeekelly
Ska
ChrisToPhenom
(._Y_.)
shark6495
superdoug
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
kidspider2099
18 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

kidspider2099

kidspider2099
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I personally don't think so. I don't see whats so special about movies like she's outta your league or the hangover where its like two hours of nonstop cussing and dick and fart jokes. Don't those get tiring after a while? I don't see the appeal in them.

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Different folks, different strokes. They can be funny and sometimes they're not. It's really a case by case scenario. Honestly, it's no big deal, really.

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I don't think it adds to a movie, and I do think that sometimes bad comedy is masked by insane amounts of vulgarity. Sometimes. I think profanity was funnier back when I was a kid/teenager, as it was just coming into fashion, so to hear it (say, in The Longest Yard "I think they broke his fucking head!") was kind of naughty on top of the funny. Nowadays, there's so much of it that the impact is lessened.

Unfortunately, I can't think of any current comedies that aren't animated that don't fall back on the profanity schtick.

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

to be truthful I did not find the dick jokes in the hangover to be funny. However I found the movie had some funny plot lines so who knows.... i agree with you kid spider

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

kidspider2099

kidspider2099
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:Different folks, different strokes. They can be funny and sometimes they're not. It's really a case by case scenario. Honestly, it's no big deal, really.

It not a big deal its just i wouldn't mind seeing she's outta mt league if it wasn't for the R rating.

(._Y_.)

(._Y_.)
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

There weren't any fart jokes in the Hangover... that I remember anyways.

ChrisToPhenom

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Superbad. It was a funny film. Enough said.

Ska

Ska
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I think I must have a very "British" sense of humor. There are very few shows from here that make me laugh out loud. I'll understand where the "funny" is supposed to be, but eh, does nothing for me really. British comedy though, I'll laugh until I cry.

http://www.myspace.com/kristinellenamarie

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

They can if done correctly. If just thrown in willy nilly it really isn't funny.

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

It can add or detract from a movie. Nothing trumps a good story.

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

Profanity, scatology, and dick jokes for their own sake are not funny, but peppered into a good story with likeable characters and humorous situations, then they can make a good comedy even better. That's not to say that a comedy needs these things, though. It really depends on if the story calls for it. Movies about teenagers, guys in Vegas, or forty year old virgins pretty much call for it out of a sense of realism and relateability, because it's how most guys of that age group really talk.

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

comicgeekelly wrote:They can if done correctly. If just thrown in willy nilly it really isn't funny.
^ yes

Timing is key. Profanity for the sake of seeing someone say a curseword was why, as kids, we laughed at oldschool South Park, but it doesn't really work unless the situation calls for it. Again, timing.

supervenom

supervenom
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

fuck yeah! *goes to the fat dominatrix club*

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

I still laugh at South Park. That show is brilliant. You think you're better than me, Blue? You think you're better than me!?

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I think it is a case by case bases. For 40 Year Old Virgin it really worked but for Superbad it just got old.

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Silent K wrote:I still laugh at South Park. That show is brilliant. You think you're better than me, Blue? You think you're better than me!?
Laughing Love it, too, man. I mentioned oldschool South Park because its humor was really simplistic back then. Although, at the time, it was fresh too. Now it's pure genius with its satire, sometimes dark-humored satire. I like how South Park has roughly matured, grown up with our generation. tongue

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

South Park has always had a deep satiric streak underneath its potty-humor facade, but I agree that it's just gotten sharper with age, unlike The Simpsons, which at one time was the smartest comedy, animated or non, on TV but has been coasting for years.

Tom

Tom
Ninja
Ninja

I love "the Hangover", but there were times where I was thinking "enough with the f-bombs and g.d.".

Combo Mo

Combo Mo
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

"The following movie is intended for a Mature Audience."

And yet, I'm watching it for the fart jokes, sex puns, cartoon nudity and gratuitous violence. I don't think maturity plays into this anywhere.

Tom

Tom
Ninja
Ninja

^ LOL

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jaydee74 wrote:It can add or detract from a movie. Nothing trumps a good story.
Exactly. Movies like "Disaster Movie, Epic Movie" are nothing BUT cussing and dick and fart jokes. They are awful movies. I'd rather watch The Hangover any day.

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

kidspider2099 wrote:I personally don't think so. I don't see whats so special about movies like she's outta your league or the hangover where its like two hours of nonstop cussing and dick and fart jokes. Don't those get tiring after a while? I don't see the appeal in them.

Combo Mo wrote:"The following movie is intended for a Mature Audience."

And yet, I'm watching it for the fart jokes, sex puns, cartoon nudity and gratuitous violence. I don't think maturity plays into this anywhere.

Agreed definatly. Like I said about the second FG Star Wars flick, didn't like the use of the sex jokes and f bombs. It really has to be used sparingly, like a guarenteed way to make people laugh at the use of it instead throwing it to see if it sticks. It needs to be organic in a way with the characters i guess.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum