Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Classics you're embarrassed you haven't read yet

+17
NorrinRadd
dmahoney
deadbolt85
jaydee74
Administrator
alucardbarnivous
Heytherejeffro
Matt
kidspider2099
rwe1138
Foreigner_Man
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
BlueMaxx
prescribeddrone
Joshua
Rath99
Bigtymin504
21 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Classics you're embarrassed you haven't read yet Dark_knight_returns

Don't judge me. blush

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Classics you're embarrassed you haven't read yet Dark_knight_returns

Don't judge me. blush

You and Knize need to get on that NOW!

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

This...

Classics you're embarrassed you haven't read yet Ironmaniconic1

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

The problem I have with a lot of the sacred cows is that while they were revolutionary for their time (Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, et al) they don't always hold up when read now. Dark Knight Returns was remarkable for its day because, well, DC comics were pretty shitty. While lots of crap is still being churned out now, there's also a ton of quality books and that just wasn't so back then. Because we do get such high-caliber books, a lot of the so-called classics feel dated and aren't impressive when read now. That being said, I haven't read a lot of the classics because I'm certain I'll be disappointed in the book in comparison to the hype.

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I haven't read a lot of 'classics'. I pretty much agree with Joshua. Plus I already have a decently sized pull list and have trades I haven't read yet, so making extra time for a book just because it's considered a classic seems unnecessary to me.

Last edited by prescribeddrone on Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ yes There've been a lot of classics that were just okay to me. Like Dark Knight Returns. And, to be fair, Batman was kind of crappy at the time, not DC in general.

I'll list Killing Joke and Batman: Year One. Which I flipped through Year One and it didn't seem to grab me at the bookstore. I read, like, half an issues worth of the beginning. Would definitely borrow.
Classics you're embarrassed you haven't read yet Batman-killing-joke-posterClassics you're embarrassed you haven't read yet Batman_year_one-hc1
Oh, and Miracleman's stuff. Wink
Classics you're embarrassed you haven't read yet Miracleman15

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Rath99 wrote:You and Knize need to get on that NOW!
I know! I know!

Joshua wrote:The problem I have with a lot of the sacred cows is that while they were revolutionary for their time (Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, et al) they don't always hold up when read now. Dark Knight Returns was remarkable for its day because, well, DC comics were pretty shitty. While lots of crap is still being churned out now, there's also a ton of quality books and that just wasn't so back then. Because we do get such high-caliber books, a lot of the so-called classics feel dated and aren't impressive when read now. That being said, I haven't read a lot of the classics because I'm certain I'll be disappointed in the book in comparison to the hype.
Very true. Like the first time I read Watchmen was a couple years ago, and compared to the hype I was kinda underwhelmed (sacrilege, I know). The metaphors and character deconstructions were great but I thought the overall plot was just average. But I do understand its importance to the industry. Not to mention, I think I'm just so used to modern artwork that some of the older "classics" just don't look as nice to me.

Personally, I think comic fans tend to look at past stories through rose-tinted glasses and don't give the modern stuff the credit it deserves. The 2000s was an amazing decade for comics IMO.

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:The problem I have with a lot of the sacred cows is that while they were revolutionary for their time (Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, et al) they don't always hold up when read now. Dark Knight Returns was remarkable for its day because, well, DC comics were pretty shitty. While lots of crap is still being churned out now, there's also a ton of quality books and that just wasn't so back then. Because we do get such high-caliber books, a lot of the so-called classics feel dated and aren't impressive when read now. That being said, I haven't read a lot of the classics because I'm certain I'll be disappointed in the book in comparison to the hype.

This is my deal with alot of the Marvel classics, namely X-men stories, and some DC classics. The whole deal with the difference in how people speak and what is considered good dialogue is also an issue. Some stories feel like slow torture. Concerning Watchmen, I had issues with the art. It was good but felt too "bright" (if this makes sense) for the mood of various parts.

And I have yet to read Y the Last Man.

Foreigner_Man

Foreigner_Man
Ninja
Ninja

Pretty much everything. Laughing

rwe1138

rwe1138

Sandman

Marvelman/Miracleman

Preacher

Planetary

http://panelsonpages.com/?page_id=903

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:And I have yet to read Y the Last Man.
Classics you're embarrassed you haven't read yet Blasphemer

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:
Classics you're embarrassed you haven't read yet Blasphemer

Classics you're embarrassed you haven't read yet 68965810
This man is scared of your picture as am I. Laughing

Yeah, it came out during a time when I had stopped reading comic books so among all my catching up I have yet to get to it. I hope to at some point. I hate not knowing what people are talking about when this comes up. Laughing

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Laughing yeah I read it over a year ago, gobbled up all 60 issues in well under a week. Highly recommended.

kidspider2099

kidspider2099
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I haven't read Y the last man.

also don't read The dark Knight returns its overated.

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

kidspider2099 wrote:also don't read The dark Knight returns its overated.

Classics you're embarrassed you haven't read yet Philip10
Uncle Phil's withering gaze of disapproval is aimed at you for uttering such blasphemy. Mad

Don't listen to him. It's actually quite good and measures up pretty well, even by today's standards. From a literary standpoint, it's pretty good and from a sheer enjoyment standpoint, it's also pretty good.

Foreigner_Man

Foreigner_Man
Ninja
Ninja

I respectfully disagree. DKR is a great story, well drawn by Frank Miller and gorgeously colored by Lynn Varley. Probably the greatest Batman story ever. Now the Dark Knight Strikes Again on the other hand I'd suggest staying away from.

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

You'll like it.

rwe1138 wrote:
Sandman
Preacher
Preacher is a required tasted, but you'd love Sandman.

rwe1138 wrote:
Marvelman/Miracleman
Planetary
Same. Although, who has really got to read Miralman/Marvleman? Planetary seems so cool. I really like Ellis yet I haven't read too much by the guy outside of Transmet and story-arcs/minis from other stuff.

I'll throw in Love & Rockets. Those stick out in my head as must-reads, at least with the indie crowd.

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'll play.

Batman Year One (I know about Batman so this seems sorta pointless.. I dunno I would buy it if I ran into it for cheap probably)
Watchmen (Meh. I was going to... I still might sometime, someday)
Y the Last Man
Walking Dead
Sandman
Preacher
Marvelman/Miracleman
Planetary (never heard of it)
Transmetropolitan (going by bluemaxx's quotes I think I might like this.. a lot)

Yeah, like I said.. not much classics read here.

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

BlueMaxx wrote:
rwe1138 wrote:
Marvelman/Miracleman
Planetary
Same. Although, who has really got to read Miralman/Marvleman? Planetary seems so cool. I really like Ellis yet I haven't read too much by the guy outside of Transmet and story-arcs/minis from other stuff.

I'll throw in Love & Rockets. Those stick out in my head as must-reads, at least with the indie crowd.

I've read Miralman/Marvleman. It's really good and I highly recommend it. Planetary is my favorite series of all series that have graced this earth. It is wonderfully written and the art is spot on. There's one issue (you'll know it when you read it), that is so wonderfully trippy it will make you wish you were high. The art alone is the best I've seen in ages.

Matt

Matt
Pirate
Pirate

Classics you're embarrassed you haven't read yet 12578111

Heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I've been dying to read the MiracleMan stuff.

I actually wasn't interested in Sandman until I found that a friend of mine had drawn one of the volumes. I decided to give in, and it's really decent in that, for the most part, it's lived up to the hype.

I have Transmetropolitan V.1, but I haven't been very motivated to continue, even though the 1st volume was really decent (THANKS SECRET SANTA!)

Also, I own the complete Bone, but I haven't read much of it.

https://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Heytherejeffro wrote:
Also, I own the complete Bone
Too...many...jokes. Can't...pick...one.

Heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:
Heytherejeffro wrote:
Also, I own the complete Bone
Too...many...jokes. Can't...pick...one.
I've been too busy having sex with it.

https://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Watchmen
Batman: Dark Knight Returns
Mantlo's Hulk run
Stern's Spider-Man run
Iron Man: Armor Wars
Avengers: Korvac Saga
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Alex Ross DC oversized one-shots
X-Men: Proteus
X-Men: Inferno
X-Men: Mutant Massacre
X-Men: Days of Future Past

http://blog.myspace.com/alucardbarnivous

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

Heytherejeffro wrote:
I actually wasn't interested in Sandman until I found that a friend of mine had drawn one of the volumes. I decided to give in, and it's really decent in that, for the most part, it's lived up to the hype.
Really?! Who's your friend?

---

I only read the first volume of Sandman and the first issue of Death: The High Cost of Living.
Planetary (I consider myself a fan of Ellis and Cassaday but has yet to get to this book)
The Authority (the Ellis and Millar runs. These stories interested me for almost a decade, but never read. Don't care for that team/franchise otherwise and I've read a few stuff starring them)
Morrison's JLA, Animal Man (I have the full run on a disc, but never read it), Flex Mentallo
Y the Last Man (I love lots of BKV's stuff but only read the first issue of what is considered his greatest creation)
Top 10
Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
Squadron Supreme
Sin City (only read the first book)
X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills
Avengers Forever
Maus (I should be ashamed of myself, I know)

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum