Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Classics you're embarrassed you haven't read yet

+17
NorrinRadd
dmahoney
deadbolt85
jaydee74
Administrator
alucardbarnivous
Heytherejeffro
Matt
kidspider2099
rwe1138
Foreigner_Man
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
BlueMaxx
prescribeddrone
Joshua
Rath99
Bigtymin504
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:Can't think of too many I haven't read, the real question is how many do I remember! Laughing
Classics you're embarrassed you haven't read yet - Page 3 6a00df352345de88340111688dd0d6970c-800wi
"Remember...d'you remember that time...that time you read Watchmen?

That was awesome."

https://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

hrdwrkngXsoldier

hrdwrkngXsoldier
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

prescribeddrone wrote:Damn, this thread made me realize that I haven't read even more classics than I thought Laughing The X-Men stuff sounds cool on paper but it's hard to get into with that older style compared to the modern style.

I will agree with you ther lad. I loved these tales of adventure. There timeliness does erode with the evolution of technology. I like to look at the hair styles and cars that were drawn in those books for nostalgia as well. Slang terms also wane in popularity over time. X-Men as a whole is a very epic story. I don't think it that big of a deal if you haven't read many of the story lines. Most of them pertain to the solid character development of only a handful of characters to begin with. When I read old Claremont stuff and compare it to other books of the time it is evident that he was great. But if you read something by Ellis or Kyle and Yost and jump back to read an old Claremont book, you kind of feal like much of the dialogue is Shatnery (I think that is an adjective now.) The truth is a lot of the books that people consider clasics...well they just aren't. For example, I wouldn't put God love Man Kills in the clasics category at all.

We have also had the advent of the intro page in our modern books, older comics had to introduce every character almost every issue, because it was some reader's first issue. I think the tempo much like all of our daily lives just moves a lot faster than it did back then.

I have to admit that I havn't read most DC stuff that didn't involve the Green Lantern. I've tried to but I just don't care. Everything you read will be reset or retconned in 2-3 years anyway so I don't see how so many of their books can stand the test of time. They have older characters than marvel, but they get to be the new kid in school and change their lives every Crisis.

Matt

Matt
Pirate
Pirate

hrdwrkngXsoldier wrote:
prescribeddrone wrote:Damn, this thread made me realize that I haven't read even more classics than I thought Laughing The X-Men stuff sounds cool on paper but it's hard to get into with that older style compared to the modern style.

I will agree with you ther lad. I loved these tales of adventure. There timeliness does erode with the evolution of technology. I like to look at the hair styles and cars that were drawn in those books for nostalgia as well. Slang terms also wane in popularity over time. X-Men as a whole is a very epic story. I don't think it that big of a deal if you haven't read many of the story lines. Most of them pertain to the solid character development of only a handful of characters to begin with. When I read old Claremont stuff and compare it to other books of the time it is evident that he was great. But if you read something by Ellis or Kyle and Yost and jump back to read an old Claremont book, you kind of feal like much of the dialogue is Shatnery (I think that is an adjective now.) The truth is a lot of the books that people consider clasics...well they just aren't. For example, I wouldn't put God love Man Kills in the clasics category at all.

We have also had the advent of the intro page in our modern books, older comics had to introduce every character almost every issue, because it was some reader's first issue. I think the tempo much like all of our daily lives just moves a lot faster than it did back then.

I have to admit that I havn't read most DC stuff that didn't involve the Green Lantern. I've tried to but I just don't care. Everything you read will be reset or retconned in 2-3 years anyway so I don't see how so many of their books can stand the test of time. They have older characters than marvel, but they get to be the new kid in school and change their lives every Crisis.

Marvel does this also. Look at Morrison's run on X-men or one more day

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum