Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anchorman Director Adam McKay to Adapt Comic Series ‘The Boys’?

+8
Debaser77
superdoug
jaydee74
Administrator
Astro13Zombie
Spaced4SimonPegg
BlueMaxx
Paroxysm
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/04/26/anchorman-director-adam-mckay-to-adapt-comic-series-the-boys/
Brad Fuller isn’t the only member of the A Nightmare on Elm Street team talking about future projects. Director Samuel Bayer has been linked (or hopes to be linked) to an adaptation of the Garth Ennis comic series The Boys. But now he’s saying that he might not have the job, as the current favorite to direct is Anchorman and Step Brothers helmer Adam McKay. Holy directorial shift! Film School Rejects talked to Bayer, who said,

It’s so funny, I would die to do that comic book. From what I’ve heard from the producers on the movie is that Adam McKay is doing it. He did Anchorman, I guess. The studio is really hot on him and… Let’s have the movie [A Nightmare on Elm Street] come out this weekend and do really well. Then we’ll see how my stock is in Hollywood.

So, not a done deal that McKay would direct the film, but a hell of a notion. Making the move from pure comedy (with occasional action flourishes) to a dark, action-based, comedy-tinged movie with a sort of anti-superhero bent would be quite a switch for McKay. I’d love to see him actually manage it, because I’d expect the comedy to be insane. Bayer previously said of the comic,

There’s one comic book I really dig that I want to go after that’s bad-ass. I’d like to get it, it’s called The Boys. It’s about a group of mercenaries and they’re job is to kick the shit out of superheroes who get out of line. It doesn’t get any better than that. In the world of The Boys, superheroes are scumbags.

And, if you’re not familiar with the series, here’s a more official synopsis:

This is going to hurt! In a world where costumed heroes soar through the sky and masked vigilantes prowl the night, someone’s got to make sure the “supes” don’t get out of line. And someone will! Billy Butcher, Wee Hughie, Mother’s Milk, The Frenchman, and The Female are The Boys: A CIA-backed team of very dangerous people, each one dedicated to the struggle against the most dangerous force on Earth - superpower! Some superheroes have to be watched. Some have to be controlled. And some of them, sometimes, need to be taken out of the picture. That’s when you call in The Boys!

The Boys would make a wicked movie. It must be rated Rthough.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Matt-Marshall/679612060#!/profile

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

What a combo. This should be interesting. Still need to read The Boys. Wonder if Ennis'll have a hand in the script and/or direction?

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Sounds awesome. But if its adapted from the graphic novel it will have to be watered down a bit other wise you will end up with an NC-17 rating.

The 2 must haves in castings will of course have to be Simon Pegg for Wee Hughie and Gerard Butler for The Butcher. I see no one other than Butler as the Butcher.

Astro13Zombie

Astro13Zombie
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I have never read any of the books guilty

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

It'll be sad to see this happen before Preacher. How come Ennis' greatest creation can't get a decent movie treatment, dammit?

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Tomer Soiker wrote:It'll be sad to see this happen before Preacher. How come Ennis' greatest creation can't get a decent movie treatment, dammit?
Agreed. Having read this and not being all the interesting in the comic although I like the character that looks like Simon Pegg, they are going to have to tone this down JUST to get it to an "R" rating.

superdoug

superdoug
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'd love to see this happen, although to really capture the feel of the comic, the movie should really go for the NC-17 rating.

Debaser77

Debaser77
Moderator / Monkey Gone To Heaven

I haven't read The Boys and have only read a little Preacher, but judging from what I have heard and read about them, I think both would be better off as pay-cable series than movies.

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Tomer Soiker wrote:It'll be sad to see this happen before Preacher. How come Ennis' greatest creation can't get a decent movie treatment, dammit?

I thought HBO was working on making it a series. I think Preacher would be better as a series.

jaydee74 wrote:
Agreed. Having read this and not being all the interesting in the comic although I like the character that looks like Simon Pegg, they are going to have to tone this down JUST to get it to an "R" rating.

The character that looks like Simon Pegg (Wee-Hughie) is Simon Pegg.

superdoug wrote:I'd love to see this happen, although to really capture the feel of the comic, the movie should really go for the NC-17 rating.

Yes. To get the feel of the books you would have to go NC-17.

Debaser77 wrote:I haven't read The Boys and have only read a little Preacher, but judging from what I have heard and read about them, I think both would be better off as pay-cable series than movies.

The Boys would work great as a tv series.

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Preacher was rumored as an HBO series. But development was cancelled. It was Stevenson, the guy who "adapted" Daredevil, Elektra, and Ghost Rider...so big loss. Hopefully they can restart interest. A tv show would do it more justice, like Gaiman's Sandman, Robinson's Starman, and Ellis' Transmetropolitan.

Spaced4SimonPegg

Spaced4SimonPegg
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

BlueMaxx wrote:Preacher was rumored as an HBO series. But development was cancelled. It was Stevenson, the guy who "adapted" Daredevil, Elektra, and Ghost Rider...so big loss. Hopefully they can restart interest. A tv show would do it more justice, like Gaiman's Sandman, Robinson's Starman, and Ellis' Transmetropolitan.

Yikes with that dudes resume I am glad he is not involved. Preached does need the series treatment via a HBO or Showtime network.

Administrator

Administrator
Administrator

After HBO shelved the roduction, the movie rights relapsed and Sam Mendes was last rumored to direct it with John august to write the script, but it has been over a year since I heard any news about this.

https://panelsonpages2009.forumotion.com

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spaced4SimonPegg wrote:
BlueMaxx wrote:Preacher was rumored as an HBO series. But development was cancelled. It was Stevenson, the guy who "adapted" Daredevil, Elektra, and Ghost Rider...so big loss. Hopefully they can restart interest. A tv show would do it more justice, like Gaiman's Sandman, Robinson's Starman, and Ellis' Transmetropolitan.

Yikes with that dudes resume I am glad he is not involved. Preached does need the series treatment via a HBO or Showtime network.
Tomer Soiker wrote:After HBO shelved the roduction, the movie rights relapsed and Sam Mendes was last rumored to direct it with John august to write the script, but it has been over a year since I heard any news about this.
I meant to say "no big loss." Whoops. Heh. But yea, I honestly think those would work much better at immersing and appreciating the stories to be had if it was given sequential treatment. I mean, 3 "hour" long episodes would be way more sufficient than a 2 hour film.

Gaiman is up for Death becoming a movie. Specifically The High Cost of Living, but I'm not so sure he wants Sandman to be touched at all.

deadbolt85

deadbolt85
Ninja
Ninja

If The Boys does get an NC-17 rating, the chances that it'll see a major release is very, very slim. Most major theatre chains won't even fuck with an NC-17 title.

Silent K

Silent K
Administrator
Administrator

Go Hard R for the theatrical release, but then go "Unrated" for the DVD. Problem solved.

Heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

NC-17 is where movies go to die.

https://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

deadbolt85

deadbolt85
Ninja
Ninja

Silent K wrote:Go Hard R for the theatrical release, but then go "Unrated" for the DVD. Problem solved.
But then you have the "waaaaaah, all the uncut stuff should have been in there from the beginning" whiners.

Heytherejeffro

Heytherejeffro
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

deadbolt85 wrote:
Silent K wrote:Go Hard R for the theatrical release, but then go "Unrated" for the DVD. Problem solved.
But then you have the "waaaaaah, all the uncut stuff should have been in there from the beginning" whiners.
Fuck those people; they'll never be happy.

https://www.facebook.com/heytherejeffro

deadbolt85

deadbolt85
Ninja
Ninja

So true. Half the time,I'm just glad when something I like hits the big screen.

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

For those who haven't read The Boys...do so now!

I would LOVE to see a movie made but it has to be R. A TV series would be cool but I think you can get the story out in movie.

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

Adam McKay Confirmed to Be In Talks to Direct ‘The Boys’

Read more: /Film | Blogging the Reel World http://www.slashfilm.com/page/2/#ixzz0rdVj2xIU

Paroxysm

Paroxysm
Zombie
Zombie

Adam McKay wants Simon Pegg for The Boys' Wee Hughie

CHUD recently asked could-be The Boys director Adam McKay if he'd want Simon Pegg — who was the inspiration for protagonist Wee Hughie — for the film. McKay's not signed on definitely, but he's all for the idea.

Here's the exchange CHUD's Devin Faraci had with McKay:

[McKay] told me: 'I haven't officially signed on yet, so I haven't had any conversations with anyone, but he's got to do it. It has to be.'

'So if you sign on it has to be with him?' I asked.

'For sure,' McKay said.
http://io9.com/5592465/adam-mckay-wants-simon-pegg-for-the-boys-wee-hughie

Awesome news!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum