Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Health Thread

+8
BlueMaxx
Combo Mo
WonderWoman2.0
Ska
Sapphire Gypsy
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
shark6495
ChrisToPhenom
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1The Health Thread Empty The Health Thread Mon May 03, 2010 5:15 pm

ChrisToPhenom

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Quote from "You Decide - Health Forum?"-

ChrisToPhenom: I'm not trying to start a democracy and if I am, than what Tomer did (even though he didn't want an Anime & Manga forum in the first place) is the same. He's the boss and if he or the rest of the staff disagrees, I won't argue. But don't tell me to go to another forum health-I don't need this, I have Men's Health and Journal to help me with that.

Sadly, the few issues of Men's Health and Journal doesn't have information for what I want. So here's the "Health Thread".

I'm sure the girls of PoP! can help me with this. What's the best skin care out there? I'm currently using AcneFree, toning moisturizer, Clearasil Ultra for when before leaving out right away like for example, school. I use to have good skin when I lived in my homestate, California for 17 years until I moved to Georgia where mosquitoes tore my face up. Now after 2 years there, I moved here to Dallas, Texas and it looks much better than before but sometimes depending on the lighting I'm in, I can still see some scars and I've been doing my best to get rid of them. I'm a good looking guy, but damn...this is one of the things that keep me insecure in front of the girls, you know? I feel like growing facial hair to blend it in but I don't want a shadow and think I'm outrageous because I don't look bad. I heard ProActive has a brand new system in it and I might give a try but than there's MaxClarity that claims to be even better. Help me out, would you?

I know by the time I'm 25 in 5 years, I'll look like what I'd like but I want to know how to start this now! Thanks. Smile

2The Health Thread Empty Re: The Health Thread Mon May 03, 2010 11:51 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

umm are they pimple scars or just mosquito bite scars? either if its a true scar you will want something that fades scars over time, some sort of butter cream. If they are not scars, you face should clear up. I enjoy a vaseline for men skin care system. Have been using it now for a few months and like the way it makes the skin seem some what pliable and tough yet soft. Plus it smells good...

http://whiskeytangofoxtrott.blogspot.com/

3The Health Thread Empty Re: The Health Thread Tue May 04, 2010 12:18 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shark6495 wrote:umm are they pimple scars or just mosquito bite scars? either if its a true scar you will want something that fades scars over time, some sort of butter cream. If they are not scars, you face should clear up. I enjoy a vaseline for men skin care system. Have been using it now for a few months and like the way it makes the skin seem some what pliable and tough yet soft. Plus it smells good...

Agreed to some degree. Moisturize your skin, take care of it (wash lol--but seriously, use a wash rag for the face if you don't (not al people do)-it makes a great deal of difference) and most blemishes tend to take care of themselves. I go for mere lotion (aloe or whatever does not irritate your skin). I've never liked vaseline. If one lives in a hot region (like Dallas) I would stay away from that.

Concerning mosquitoes, keep in mind that they are drawn towards various things, namely: heat sources (if you are sweating, you are a magnet for them), dark-colored things (that includes people and clothing), CO2, and they tend to show-up right before and right after it rains. Just throwing that out there.

Last edited by Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty on Tue May 04, 2010 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total

4The Health Thread Empty Re: The Health Thread Tue May 04, 2010 12:27 am

Sapphire Gypsy

Sapphire Gypsy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Unless you're me. Then the little bastards will travel miles for your blood.

My dermatologist recently turned me on to Cerave. It's for sensitive skin and I like it. My parmacy has to special order it but I think it's worth waiting on. You can also try, and this is gonna sound fruity, Garnier's stuff. I use their moisturizer and love it.

Now if you want to get expensive I'll sometimes splurge and get Aveda stuff.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BerryFrostyDesigns

5The Health Thread Empty Re: The Health Thread Tue May 04, 2010 1:55 am

ChrisToPhenom

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shark6495 wrote:umm are they pimple scars or just mosquito bite scars? either if its a true scar you will want something that fades scars over time, some sort of butter cream. If they are not scars, you face should clear up. I enjoy a vaseline for men skin care system. Have been using it now for a few months and like the way it makes the skin seem some what pliable and tough yet soft. Plus it smells good...
Dude, I honestly don't know. I'd say it's both and I also must admit, I was a picker back then. Now, it's just a combination of razor bumps and pimples. I get bites ever so often. I use aloe vera for these. I also use Vaseline for Men but don't put it on my face because I feel the fragrance will break me out. It could be different now though so I'll give it a try.

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:

Agreed to some degree. Moisturize your skin, take care of it (wash lol--but seriously, use a wash rag for the face if you don't (not al people do)-it makes a great deal of difference) and most blemishes tend to take care of themselves. I go for mere lotion (aloe or whatever does not irritate your skin). I've never liked vaseline. If one lives in a hot region (like Dallas) I would stay away from that.

Concerning mosquitoes, keep in mind that they are drawn towards various things, namely: heat sources (if you are sweating, you are a magnet for them), dark-colored things (that includes people and clothing), CO2, and they tend to show-up right before and right after it rains. Just throwing that out there.

Thanks. I do use a wash rag.

Sapphire Gypsy wrote:Unless you're me. Then the little bastards will travel miles for your blood.

My dermatologist recently turned me on to Cerave. It's for sensitive skin and I like it. My parmacy has to special order it but I think it's worth waiting on. You can also try, and this is gonna sound fruity, Garnier's stuff. I use their moisturizer and love it.

Now if you want to get expensive I'll sometimes splurge and get Aveda stuff.
"Fruity"? *lol* Sh-t, I need all the help I can get...I just want tell anyone. tongue

6The Health Thread Empty Re: The Health Thread Tue May 04, 2010 2:11 am

Ska

Ska
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I use Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash Foaming Cleanser on my face right before I go to bed every night. It's important to wash your face before you go to bed so you don't have all the dirt and bacteria on your face sitting on it while you sleep. Plus, when you have your head smashed into a pillow, your pores can't breathe thus creating more problems.

Use some kind of spot treatment for problem zits, that stuff works wonders. I think Neutrogena has one called "On the Spot Acne Treatment". It's a higher concentration of the medication. Just be careful, some of those say on the box that using it can make your skin sensitive to sunlight.

I also use Clean & Clear Deep Cleansing Astringent. It's orange liquid in a clear bottle. Put it on twice a day with a cotton ball, and you should be able to feel it working. It makes your pores all tingly.

Don't touch your face! Don't sit at a desk with your face in the palm of your hand. The bacteria and germs you pick up on your hands throughout the day will get on your face and cause you to break out. Also again, you're suffocating your pores when you have anything pressed against your face.

http://www.myspace.com/kristinellenamarie

7The Health Thread Empty Re: The Health Thread Tue May 04, 2010 9:55 am

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:... I've never liked vaseline. If one lives in a hot region (like Dallas) I would stay away from that....

are you talking about this one
The Health Thread Vaseline
because i would agree to stay away from that...
but i was talking about this

The Health Thread LotionsRangeNonNew

its a men's lotion/cream.... and yeah its fragranced so i could see how that may break you out....

8The Health Thread Empty Re: The Health Thread Tue May 04, 2010 10:01 am

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty

Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shark6495 wrote:
Dr. Wade Fucking McNasty wrote:... I've never liked vaseline. If one lives in a hot region (like Dallas) I would stay away from that....

are you talking about this one
The Health Thread Vaseline
because i would agree to stay away from that...
but i was talking about this

The Health Thread LotionsRangeNonNew

its a men's lotion/cream.... and yeah its fragranced so i could see how that may break you out....

lol Yeah the first one scares me, especially in hot weather. The second one is pretty good though.

9The Health Thread Empty Re: The Health Thread Tue May 04, 2010 6:48 pm

Sapphire Gypsy

Sapphire Gypsy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm SO bad about touching my face. I know it's why my chin breaks out all the time, but I can't help it!

That's why I use the anti-bacterial stuff. Cetaphil is another good one, it comes in a bar form so you don't have to feel too girly for having a little pump bottle on the sink.

The Garnier lotion I use smells like roses, I love it. Very Happy

Also keep this in mind, it seems backwards but usually when people have oily skin it's because their skin is dry. Your body produces extra oil to help keep it moist. I notice that when I forget to use my moisturizer my face get's really oily. Sad

Trying to think of everything my Dermatologist told me. Very Happy

If you've got decent insurance though, it's worth seeing one. They know skin after all. Very Happy

10The Health Thread Empty Re: The Health Thread Tue May 04, 2010 9:06 pm

WonderWoman2.0

WonderWoman2.0
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I've got to lose 30 pounds this summer. Goals. I haz'em. Support. I needz'it. Very Happy

http://effyeahmegwhite.tumblr.com/

11The Health Thread Empty Re: The Health Thread Tue May 04, 2010 9:13 pm

Combo Mo

Combo Mo
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^
Don't give up ! You can do it !

I had a goal to lose 30 lbs by the end of the year...I passed that and have now lost a total of 48 lbs in 4 months. I feel and look better than I have in many years ! Very Happy

12The Health Thread Empty Re: The Health Thread Tue May 04, 2010 9:25 pm

BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^ Way to go, Mo. I need to do start getting into toner exercises again and then stick with it.

You can do it, WW!

Sapphire Gypsy wrote:I'm SO bad about touching my face. I know it's why my chin breaks out all the time, but I can't help it!
I do that. Never have listened. Don't get zits like I used to, but still get the average blemish. I do have days where my face is greasy/shiny. Usually lack of sleep, I'd say. Though, I wash my face a lot, even if it is just water. Which helps. Feels good.

13The Health Thread Empty Re: The Health Thread Tue May 04, 2010 9:38 pm

Sapphire Gypsy

Sapphire Gypsy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I've been losing the bit of weight I need to lose by lifting weights. Big heavy weights. Very Happy

A pound of lean muscle burns more calories doing nothing than a pound of fat. So I'll weigh more because muscle weighs more than fat BUT because it burns more calories I can eat more. Very Happy

I actually went from an 1800 calorie a day diet, which is practically starving, to 2800 calories and LOST weight. Very Happy

If you want more info on lifting let me know I won't clog this up with all that info. I can shoot you a link where I got all my info. Very Happy

Keep up the good work. Very Happy You can do it!

14The Health Thread Empty Re: The Health Thread Tue May 04, 2010 9:52 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

easy way to lose weight is to drink a bunch of water and do some exercise. Im not talking about going to the gym exercise, but start small in the house. In the morning wake up and do some jumping jacks, sit ups, and pushups. Do some basic stretches. It should take no more than ten minutes. You are helping to keep your body in shape and limber. The sit ups and pushups are helping the muscles grow and stay lean. As Sapphire Gypsy said, muscle burns more calories than fat.
Water is a big weight loss guide. My fiance basically started drinking a bunch of water a day (2-3 water bottles full a day) and has lost 30 pounds in a year. She also has changed her diet just slightly, but she is eating more food than I am.
Fast food is a killer for weight. Besides the fatty foods it has in it, it is loaded in salt. If you have to have a fast food craving to be quenched just eat sensible. You want a burger? get just a regular cheese burger, dont go eating a super double with bacon mayo, etc. BTW Mayo is horrible for ya lol, but tastes so good. If you want fries down size to the small instead of the medium. You wont miss the extra fries. Tips for a healthy diet I have learned from nutritionists and personal trainers is this: eat a hard core diet 2 days a week. 3 days a week have a softer diet, and for the other 2 dont worry about the diet. It helps keep the body from shutting down into survival mode. Not enough calories in the body will make the body stop burning fat because it thinks its being starved. I usually do a hard core eat healthy on Monday and weds. With non diet on tuesday and fri. Thurs Sat and Sun are my soft diets. Oh walking an extra 30 minutes a day can do wonders also.....

Eventually when those little things add up you can lose 20 30 pounds in a year by doing nothing but basic maintenance.

by water bottles full, i mean the heavy plastic 64 ounce size

15The Health Thread Empty Re: The Health Thread Tue May 04, 2010 10:05 pm

Sapphire Gypsy

Sapphire Gypsy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shark6495 wrote:It helps keep the body from shutting down into survival mode. Not enough calories in the body will make the body stop burning fat because it thinks its being starved.

THIS!!!!

People seem to think that "Oh I'll just eat nothing and I'll lose tons of weight." Your body will actually STORE fat if you aren't eating enough. That's what happened to me when I cut my diet back.

I was exercising, lifting weights, and cut my calories way back because someone gave me some horrible advice. I did that for a week and I'm not kidding I gained almost 5 pounds. It was insane. I was always hungry, I was tired, I was grumpy and I had to force myself to stop eating.

I was not a happy gypsy.

Then I changed the diet. Lots of fresh fruit and veggies, lots of meat, lots of water (which I was already doing). I've made some killer gains in my lifts (I started with a 60 lbs dead lift and I'm lifting 100+ lbs in less than a month) I feel better.

After a couple weeks of lifting 3 days a week I was hooked. Very Happy

16The Health Thread Empty Re: The Health Thread Tue May 04, 2010 10:09 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

my god i feel like a useless human/man.... i cant deadlift much weight at all. I cant actually bench press more than 100 pounds. I was never a big weight room guy..... Gypsy can you send me what you do in the gym... I am always looking for motivation while in the gym/different things to do

17The Health Thread Empty Re: The Health Thread Tue May 04, 2010 10:37 pm

Sapphire Gypsy

Sapphire Gypsy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Can I make you feel even wimpier??? I can bench 85. I'll gladly share the thing that changed my lifting life.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

This forum is amazing! If they are locked for non-memebers I REALLY suggest getting a membership. These aren't the only good things there. Very Happy
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=179
Seriously check out the transformation thread, it'll make you want to drop that cookie and walk around the block.

Also reading this e-book changed how I looked at food. Very Happy

http://brainoverbrawn.com/get-the-book/

There, I'll save you all the research I had to do and give you the cream of the crop. Very Happy

18The Health Thread Empty Re: The Health Thread Tue May 04, 2010 10:41 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

haha awesome... yeah i just stole all my research from my fiance haha.... thanks gypsy you rock

19The Health Thread Empty Re: The Health Thread Tue May 04, 2010 10:47 pm

Sapphire Gypsy

Sapphire Gypsy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

There's a girls weight lifting forum on there... it'll dispel all the usual girls excuses for not wanting to lift weights.

20The Health Thread Empty Re: The Health Thread Tue May 04, 2010 10:50 pm

shark6495

shark6495
Zombie Pirate
Zombie Pirate

haha as a boy... im sure that will make me feel great.... lol....

okay i need some help boys and girls....
I need to find a way to eat healthy... but here are the restrictions. I have no kitchen. I live in an efficiency where I have a mini fridge, a microwave, a toaster, and a sandwich maker.
I need some ideas on healthy/tasty foods to eat. I cant buy much frozen foods, as I have no freezer, except for the 3 inch by 8 inch one..... Help me? lol

21The Health Thread Empty Re: The Health Thread Tue May 04, 2010 11:00 pm

Sapphire Gypsy

Sapphire Gypsy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I meant to share. Seriously share with every woman you know. Very Happy There's nothing more of an ego boost than learning that everything you thought was the truth and not working is a big fat lie. Very Happy

Fresh fruit, most of it doesn't need refrigerated and it's yummy. Very Happy

I also live off of peanut butter. High in protein and on the scale of things being good for you it's not awful.

22The Health Thread Empty Re: The Health Thread Tue May 04, 2010 11:58 pm

WonderWoman2.0

WonderWoman2.0
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I've been losing weight over the last year, but I got lazy this past semester. Technically I suppose I could lost 40, but I'm fond of my curves so I'll wait and see how I look after losing 30.

I used to lift weights through high school as part of my school's fitness program. I was kind of a beast Laughing. My bench was somewhere around 125, and then my squat was 315. Yeah. Since then I've backed off that kind of lifting. I do lots of reps and light weights, it works. Smile

23The Health Thread Empty Re: The Health Thread Wed May 05, 2010 2:02 am

ChrisToPhenom

Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

WW2, good luck with the losing weight-I wish you all of it. I'm working on a goal myself this year. Other than getting my skin clear, I plan to get ripped by the end of the Summer. I live thousands of pounds worth of packages at UPS so I'm getting arm strength but what are some good exercises and diets to get some killer abs?

24The Health Thread Empty Re: The Health Thread Thu May 06, 2010 12:31 am

WonderWoman2.0

WonderWoman2.0
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

ChrisToPhenom wrote:WW2, good luck with the losing weight-I wish you all of it. I'm working on a goal myself this year. Other than getting my skin clear, I plan to get ripped by the end of the Summer. I live thousands of pounds worth of packages at UPS so I'm getting arm strength but what are some good exercises and diets to get some killer abs?

To be honest, it'll probably take more than just the summer to "get ripped." To start I would give yourself some serious and attainable goals. If you're thin and you're looking to gain muscle, then you need to figure out how many pounds of muscle you want to gain, and then go from there. If you're looking to build muscle, foods that are high in protein are obviously going to help you with that. Think leafy green vegetables by the truckload. (Fresh spinach is an excellent starter.) Chicken and fish are both good meats to be eating too. Try and keep away from red meat, that won't help you build muscle.

As far as ab work goes, just make sure that you're doing more than just sit-ups and/or crunches. To get the best abs, you'll have to work your entire core. Here's a few sites a found with good ones:

http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises.htm

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/bestabexercises/a/all_abs.htm

http://www.fullfitness.net/exercises/abs

It's a start, and it'll help, but the most important thing for you to remember is that this is about a lifestyle change. It has to be something that you do for yourself, not anyone else, because you are changing the way you live your life. I know that sounds excessive, but it's the simple truth. If you want to get in shape and live healthily, you have to make your life work around that goal.

25The Health Thread Empty Re: The Health Thread Thu May 06, 2010 12:41 am

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

shark6495 wrote:haha as a boy... im sure that will make me feel great.... lol....

okay i need some help boys and girls....
I need to find a way to eat healthy... but here are the restrictions. I have no kitchen. I live in an efficiency where I have a mini fridge, a microwave, a toaster, and a sandwich maker.
I need some ideas on healthy/tasty foods to eat. I cant buy much frozen foods, as I have no freezer, except for the 3 inch by 8 inch one..... Help me? lol
Outside of eating lots of fruits, it's going to be hard to eat healthy without a kitchen.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum