Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Catwoman or Black Cat?

+12
ajorton
azrael07
DickGrayson007
Off_White_Lantern
jaydee74
GigaToast
Joshua
Spazzy
Sandman
BlueMaxx
LordD3r3k
kerryart
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Catwoman or Black Cat? - Page 2 Empty Re: Catwoman or Black Cat? Mon May 31, 2010 1:01 am

LordD3r3k

LordD3r3k
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Bigtymin504 wrote:It's actually a common misconception that Black Cat is a "cheap knockoff" of Catwoman, she's really not.

From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Cat_(comics)

The Black Cat is sometimes mistakenly considered an homage to DC's Catwoman, yet Felicia Hardy's signature low cut black costume, cat burglar profession, and steady relationship to Spider-Man, predate Selina Kyle's similar depiction in comics by almost a decade. Catwoman originally appeared in comics as "the Cat", a maskless cat burglar in a green dress and unrequited love interest for Batman, but later became a supervillain who used big cats for elaborate crimes. Although she was eventually given a black catsuit in the Batman television series, her modern incarnation combining these elements did not occur in comic books until 1987 with Frank Miller's Batman: Year One. Wolfman told an interviewer, "I didn't plan Black Cat to be in Spidey. I created her for Spider-Woman (look at the letter column of the first B.C. story and you’ll see). I then decided to leave Spider-Woman and moved her over. So, I never even thought of Catwoman when I did her. I got the idea for her from a Tex Avery cartoon, Bad Luck Blackie."

Wolfman may not have taken the look from Catwowman, and may not have purposely modeled her after Selina either, but they're still the same concept. 'Female cat-themed burglar who falls in love with the hero'. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck..

27Catwoman or Black Cat? - Page 2 Empty Re: Catwoman or Black Cat? Mon May 31, 2010 1:24 am

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

LordD3r3k wrote:
Bigtymin504 wrote:It's actually a common misconception that Black Cat is a "cheap knockoff" of Catwoman, she's really not.

From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Cat_(comics)

The Black Cat is sometimes mistakenly considered an homage to DC's Catwoman, yet Felicia Hardy's signature low cut black costume, cat burglar profession, and steady relationship to Spider-Man, predate Selina Kyle's similar depiction in comics by almost a decade. Catwoman originally appeared in comics as "the Cat", a maskless cat burglar in a green dress and unrequited love interest for Batman, but later became a supervillain who used big cats for elaborate crimes. Although she was eventually given a black catsuit in the Batman television series, her modern incarnation combining these elements did not occur in comic books until 1987 with Frank Miller's Batman: Year One. Wolfman told an interviewer, "I didn't plan Black Cat to be in Spidey. I created her for Spider-Woman (look at the letter column of the first B.C. story and you’ll see). I then decided to leave Spider-Woman and moved her over. So, I never even thought of Catwoman when I did her. I got the idea for her from a Tex Avery cartoon, Bad Luck Blackie."

Wolfman may not have taken the look from Catwowman, and may not have purposely modeled her after Selina either, but they're still the same concept. 'Female cat-themed burglar who falls in love with the hero'. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck..

Well just pointing out that Black Cat actually predates the modern incarnation of Catwoman, the one we all associate with the character. If you go by your "duck" argument (lol), couldn't one speculate that elements of Catwoman were copied from Black Cat as well? I mean, neither argument has hard evidence to back it up. So calling Black Cat a "cheap knockoff" and all that nonsense is just silly.

28Catwoman or Black Cat? - Page 2 Empty Re: Catwoman or Black Cat? Mon May 31, 2010 9:25 am

Spazzy

Spazzy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Well, Catwoman has been around since the 1940's, where Black Cat has been around since 1979.. So you cant really call Catwoman a knock off since shes been around longer.

http://comixbookgurl.blogspot.com/

29Catwoman or Black Cat? - Page 2 Empty Re: Catwoman or Black Cat? Mon May 31, 2010 10:38 am

G_Zatara

G_Zatara
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I'm really surprised Spaz hasn't killed anybody yet.

Keyword: yet.

30Catwoman or Black Cat? - Page 2 Empty Re: Catwoman or Black Cat? Mon May 31, 2010 12:53 pm

Bigtymin504

Bigtymin504
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Spazzy wrote:Well, Catwoman has been around since the 1940's, where Black Cat has been around since 1979.. So you cant really call Catwoman a knock off since shes been around longer.

Yeah obviously she's been around longer, that's why people have the misconception that Black Cat is a pure knock off or whatever. I'm pointing out that the modern incarnation of Catwoman that everyone is familiar with and is similar to Black Cat actually showed up in the comics in 1986, nearly a decade after Black Cat. I think people assume that the way Catwoman is now is the way she's been since the beginning, but that's not the case. Her character was revamped post-Crisis by Frank Miller.

Hey Spaz, this is nothing against Catwoman cuz I really like her. And I like Black Cat too so it annoys me when people dismiss her as a cheap knockoff and all that nonsense. They seem to think that Black Cat copied everything from Catwoman and that's just not true, Black Cat actually had many of their shared characteristics first. So just wanted to point that out, no biggie. Wink

31Catwoman or Black Cat? - Page 2 Empty Re: Catwoman or Black Cat? Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:01 am

Scarie187

Scarie187
Cadet
Cadet

Catwoman, easy.

Unless its Halle Berry?

32Catwoman or Black Cat? - Page 2 Empty Re: Catwoman or Black Cat? Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:57 am

Spazzy

Spazzy
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

/twitch

we dont mention her...

http://comixbookgurl.blogspot.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum