Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Give me one good reason to carry on buying comics

+14
alucardbarnivous
comicgeekelly
Aussiemandias
Mnemosis
Joshua
Batman25JM
tstrike99
prescribeddrone
Spaced4SimonPegg
Rath99
BlueMaxx
JonSpangler
jaydee74
Jherek
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I buy indie stuff because it shows there is still some originality left in this world.

http://blog.myspace.com/alucardbarnivous

jaydee74

jaydee74
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:Yeah, I get a discount as well. I get 20% off new issues/trades (I can get the discount on the floppies up to about 6 to 7 months after they come out). So, I pay $3.21 for comics that are normally $3.99 and $2.39 for comics that are $2.99.

I should mention that when I was spending $100 a week that was after the discount.

$100. After the discount. I don't care. I think I love you.

comedianviet

comedianviet
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

I started back to reading comics again thanks to Free Comic Book Day this year. Since then my friend has introduced me to DCB Service which usually gets you 40-50% on most books and sometimes 99 cents on certain #1 issues with flat rate shipping of $6.25. The only thing is you'd have to wait til the end of the month to get all the books from that month. You can pay extra to get them bi-weekly or weekly though. Now I only buy a few titles that I want to read weekly at the LCS and get the rest from DCB. I can save 10-20 bucks a month that way.

Also another reason why I want to buy comics is I want to start getting them bound in nice hardback covers.

http://vietscustomtoys.blogspot.com/

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

Hey, I knew my plea would elicit some interesting responses, thanks guys! I think my aversion to comics has come about through lack of quality content (IMO of course) rather than financial constraints or boredom with collecting. Also I was feeling a bit grumpy and depressed. Do carry on though, I'm not 'cured' yet. I bought three comics today! Give me one good reason to carry on buying comics - Page 2 29517

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I think getting away from super heroes for a while can be refreshing. Stuff like Walking Dead, Hack/Slash, Jonah Hex, Mice Templar, etc. Here: http://panelsonpages.com/?p=16876

tstrike99

tstrike99
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

JONAH HEX!

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

jaydee74 wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:Yeah, I get a discount as well. I get 20% off new issues/trades (I can get the discount on the floppies up to about 6 to 7 months after they come out). So, I pay $3.21 for comics that are normally $3.99 and $2.39 for comics that are $2.99.

I should mention that when I was spending $100 a week that was after the discount.

$100. After the discount. I don't care. I think I love you.

doggy style Very Happy

Rath99

Rath99
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:

I personally find that I'm buying a LOT less comics these days. I used to spend at least $100 a week on comics, and now it's down to about $25 or $30. I just realized that I was buying stuff I didn't care about and it was stupid.

Get the fuck out! You spent $5,200 a year on comics? Do you live with your parents? Trust fund?

Mnemosis wrote:

Buying monthlies has become a dangerous game. No shame in getting out of it.

What do you mean?

prescribeddrone

prescribeddrone
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

You know what sucks? I want to buy more comics because there's some good stuff coming out but me living in an apartment with my folks and having just one room to store them... I'm going to unboard about 75% of them because honestly most comics get reprinted these days so I don't care about keeping every single one in great shape, just the special ones.

I'm over whelmed by all the stuff I bought in 3 years. I enjoy comics like "drugs". I get them, read them, enjoy them and put them away. A quick thrill but it gives me something to do and look forward to and enjoy.

I fear for the future. I feel like giving some of them away just to make space, I don't know I still have space but I spent like 30 minutes unboarding and putting together certain books (my collection is like a hurricane, I stack them in the order I get them in 3 different drawers and a few plastic bins.

Long boxes are no good they'll look ugly in my room and cardboard attracts bugs and I have no room to put them anyway, same for the drawer boxes.

Damnit. Damnit.

I think I want to switch to half monthlies and half trades eventually.

affraid affraid scratch affraid

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

^Exactly. On average I was buying five or six titles a week sometimes more (and you guys know that's not a lot compared to some of you). But that's three hundred comics I have to find room for every year. I've decided to buy only the floppy comics I REALLY enjoy and not bother keeping them and to wait for trades when possible.

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Rath99 wrote:
Batman25JM wrote:

I personally find that I'm buying a LOT less comics these days. I used to spend at least $100 a week on comics, and now it's down to about $25 or $30. I just realized that I was buying stuff I didn't care about and it was stupid.

Get the fuck out! You spent $5,200 a year on comics? Do you live with your parents? Trust fund?

During the school year I was living at the dorms. I had free room and board. I had no real expenses so my entire income went to buying comics and DVDs (in addition to spending about $100 a week on comics, I was also spending between $40 to $80 on DVDs). Looking back it was dumb. I could have saved a ton of money, but whatever. I look at it as I only live once and having a ton of money in the bank does me no good if I get hit by a bus tomorrow.

Jherek wrote:^Exactly. On average I was buying five or six titles a week sometimes more (and you guys know that's not a lot compared to some of you). But that's three hundred comics I have to find room for every year. I've decided to buy only the floppy comics I REALLY enjoy and not bother keeping them and to wait for trades when possible.

Yeah, the storage issue is one of the main reasons I've cut back so much. Buying 30 plus comics a week adds up quickly, and I just don't have the room.

Last edited by Batman25JM on Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

kidspider2099

kidspider2099
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

if you keep buying comics i'll buy you a cookie.

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Storage was my main reason for dropping the habit. I went to a guy's house who had something like 300 long boxes spread across three bedrooms. I was scared straight.

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:Storage was my main reason for dropping the habit. I went to a guy's house who had something like 300 long boxes spread across three bedrooms. I was scared straight.

Laughing

Foreigner_Man

Foreigner_Man
Ninja
Ninja

Because comics are awesome. 'nuff said!

Sorry to hear you're disappointed in most comics man.. taking a break from most comics is the best thing to do, picking up only the few you want, whether it be in single issues or in trade. Or you could move to a place like Sitka, where there are no comic shops, which believe me saves plenty of storage. Laughing Or you might just be getting burned out by the same comics, in which I suggest trying something new (If that doesn't work you can always go back to the first suggestion), in which case I'd suggest Hickman's FF or Shield, the Goon or Hellboy, or Paul Cornell's Captain Britain, if you haven't read that (haven't read his Action Comics stuff, but I've heard good stuff and it's on my list)..something you haven't read yet or is different to you. IDK..the last time I thought about giving about comics for good was after reading Seaguy 2, but that didn't last long.

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

If you don't carry on buying comics you'll make this guy sad.

Give me one good reason to carry on buying comics - Page 2 Grant-morrison-comiccon-300x198

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

You're right but I can't be held responsible for that madman's mood swings. Maybe it'll inspire him to write something you'll like Bats! Give me one good reason to carry on buying comics - Page 2 29517

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

Foreigner_Man wrote:Because comics are awesome. 'nuff said!

Sorry to hear you're disappointed in most comics man.. taking a break from most comics is the best thing to do, picking up only the few you want, whether it be in single issues or in trade. Or you could move to a place like Sitka, where there are no comic shops, which believe me saves plenty of storage. Give me one good reason to carry on buying comics - Page 2 29517 Or you might just be getting burned out by the same comics, in which I suggest trying something new (If that doesn't work you can always go back to the first suggestion), in which case I'd suggest Hickman's FF or Shield, the Goon or Hellboy, or Paul Cornell's Captain Britain, if you haven't read that (haven't read his Action Comics stuff, but I've heard good stuff and it's on my list)..something you haven't read yet or is different to you. IDK..the last time I thought about giving about comics for good was after reading Seaguy 2, but that didn't last long.

Seaguy was the last thing to persuade me that comics could still be innovative and fun. Then I got duped into following Blackest Night / Brightest Day. Yep I've been thinking about it and it's Geoff Johns and his continuing bloated, convoluted, narrative free DC continuity wank that's put me off comics. I just need a break. I'm gonna take this opportunity to catch up on some classics in Trade format (Any suggestions?) and of course I'll still be hangin round here waxing pretentious about pop culture 'n stuff. Give me one good reason to carry on buying comics - Page 2 334450

Astro13Zombie

Astro13Zombie
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

JonSpangler wrote:The kittens are made to watch, which make them so distraught that they commit suicide by jumping off Cinderellas Castle in Disney World, which traumitizes the kids there and put them in years of therapy before they realize life is a cruel joke and stick a pistol in there mouths in high school and die.

of COURSE the parents are heartbroken and start kidnapping new babies from the hospital to help there grief. Which gets them arrested and fried in the electric chair.
I love you

JonSpangler

JonSpangler
Pirate
Pirate

ummmmmmmmmmmm

I love you to ?

alucardbarnivous

alucardbarnivous
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Jherek wrote:Seaguy was the last thing to persuade me that comics could still be innovative and fun. Then I got duped into following Blackest Night / Brightest Day. Yep I've been thinking about it and it's Geoff Johns and his continuing bloated, convoluted, narrative free DC continuity wank that's put me off comics. I just need a break. I'm gonna take this opportunity to catch up on some classics in Trade format (Any suggestions?) and of course I'll still be hangin round here waxing pretentious about pop culture 'n stuff. Give me one good reason to carry on buying comics - Page 2 334450

Marvel's collecting some old material again. I ordered Iron Man: Armor Wars and Avengers: Korvac Saga recently. DC is recollecting LSH: Great Darkness Saga.

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

alucardbarnivous wrote:
DC is recollecting LSH: Great Darkness Saga.
Is that out now or coming soon? I think it's one I must have!

Jherek

Jherek
Pirate
Pirate

Yeah The Great Darkness Saga That I would like. Give me one good reason to carry on buying comics - Page 2 334450

Foreigner_Man

Foreigner_Man
Ninja
Ninja

^ I gotta check that out!

Jherek wrote:
Foreigner_Man wrote:Because comics are awesome. 'nuff said!

Sorry to hear you're disappointed in most comics man.. taking a break from most comics is the best thing to do, picking up only the few you want, whether it be in single issues or in trade. Or you could move to a place like Sitka, where there are no comic shops, which believe me saves plenty of storage. Give me one good reason to carry on buying comics - Page 2 29517 Or you might just be getting burned out by the same comics, in which I suggest trying something new (If that doesn't work you can always go back to the first suggestion), in which case I'd suggest Hickman's FF or Shield, the Goon or Hellboy, or Paul Cornell's Captain Britain, if you haven't read that (haven't read his Action Comics stuff, but I've heard good stuff and it's on my list)..something you haven't read yet or is different to you. IDK..the last time I thought about giving about comics for good was after reading Seaguy 2, but that didn't last long.

Seaguy was the last thing to persuade me that comics could still be innovative and fun. Then I got duped into following Blackest Night / Brightest Day. Yep I've been thinking about it and it's Geoff Johns and his continuing bloated, convoluted, narrative free DC continuity wank that's put me off comics. I just need a break. I'm gonna take this opportunity to catch up on some classics in Trade format (Any suggestions?) and of course I'll still be hangin round here waxing pretentious about pop culture 'n stuff. Give me one good reason to carry on buying comics - Page 2 334450
Seaguy 2 was so good it hit an emotional part of me that most comics don't do. I actually understand your problem w/Johns..he's a good/great writer, but he keeps on changing some important part of the character's story that sometimes annoys me. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't, examples being Barry Allen's murdered mother and that Braniac freakin' destroyed Krypton (which I'm personally ignoring). I haven't checked out Brightest Day yet, but it sounds like he's redeeming himself from the 'Flash: Rebirth' storyline.

As for classics, I'm still catching up on current stuff. Of course anything with the names Peter David (Aquaman!--I think there's one Aquaman trade out you can find on Amazon. Hulk!) or Denny O'Neil (Question! GL/GA! Batman!) or Mark Waid are most likely destined to be great reads if you haven't read them yet. Walt Simonson's Thor and Steranko's Nick Fury, if you haven't read those. If I can think of/find any other classics I can't recommend enough I'll let you know. I will say Hickman's FF run is a classic in the making tho IMO, and I think the first trade's out.

Oh, and here's another reason to keep reading: Seaguy 3! Grant's working on the scripts as we speak. Can't wait! king afro

Aussiemandias

Aussiemandias
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Jherek wrote:Yeah The Great Darkness Saga That I would like. Give me one good reason to carry on buying comics - Page 2 334450

It even has a cool name! yes

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum