Panels on Pages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Panels on Pages Forums are dead... Long live the Panels on Pages Forums! Go to forums.panelsonpages.com to rejoin the PoP!ulation and check out PoP! 2.0

You are not connected. Please login or register

Geeky Origins.

+9
melvinlikechris
MikeSabian
Jamesabels
supervenom
Goof
Joshua
Spider_Fan14
FroZen
kidspider2099
13 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Geeky Origins. Empty Geeky Origins. Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:53 pm

kidspider2099

kidspider2099
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

My Geeky origins start with my Grampa. I never met him but he loved sci-fi especially sci-fi fandom. He passed on that love of sci-fi to my dad. My das isn't a huge nerd or geek but he kinda geeky. He loves sci-fi and fantasy. he's the one that got me into The Oz books. he read comics books as a kid, His dad took him to sci-fi conventions.

as for me. I grew up watching, buck rogers, wonder-woman, greatest american hero. I watched spider-man and his amazing friends. I didn't get into comics till i was in middle school. There was comic book store near my house. I bought comics from them. I started on stuff like Roger rabbit and Darkwing duck and progressed from there. I got alot of my comics from the libary. Thats i how discovered captain britain and longshot.
My geekyness took a step up when i started watched red dwarf it's so awesome. also i grew up on star wars and star trek.

2Geeky Origins. Empty Re: Geeky Origins. Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:09 pm

FroZen

FroZen
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Definately comes from my dad. I grew up on old B & W Sci-fi movies from the 50's, Star Trek, Star Wars,Flash Gordon,etc. My dad was a game nut too. Video and board games. We had an Atari and a ton of games along with the classic board games like Battleship,Monopoly,chess,etc. Then we moved on to board games like Risk, Axis & Allies, Shogun, Fortress America, and Conquest of the Empire. Ah..the memories...

Almost forgot to mention, my dad liked comic books but wasn't real big into them. Not like he was when he was a kid.As he got older and t.v. got colorized he turned to cartoons Very Happy . My dad still likes to sit around and watch cartoons!

3Geeky Origins. Empty Re: Geeky Origins. Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:13 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

For comics, my aunt got me into to them as I was learning how to read and her and my dad had some old comics laying about. But my love for Batman started out by watching the old sixties Batman on A&E in the afternoons and I loved them. Then in early mornings I watched the last bits of Batman The Animated, i think i liked the AW one better since I had better knowlege of what went on and my dad helped by explaining stuff too. And for Scooby Doo i remember watching everyday before preschool with my mom and still watch it today.

4Geeky Origins. Empty Re: Geeky Origins. Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:18 pm

Joshua

Joshua
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I was bitten by a radioactive librarian.

5Geeky Origins. Empty Re: Geeky Origins. Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:31 pm

Goof

Goof
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:I was bitten by a radioactive librarian.

Did it hurt?

6Geeky Origins. Empty Re: Geeky Origins. Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:53 pm

supervenom

supervenom
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Joshua wrote:I was bitten by a radioactive librarian.
was it a sexy librarian?

7Geeky Origins. Empty Re: Geeky Origins. Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:55 am

Jamesabels

Jamesabels
Cadet
Cadet

My cousin gave me old batman comics and he drew crazy shit in the 90's had a huge ass pro as fuck spawn on the wall of his bedroom, kinda sucks that he isn't trying for comics anymore. He went to art school and has to work normal people jobs to pay it off. Sad

It's kind of funny that I am making a little progress in being a comic artist just from being around him back then. I used to try to go over there all the time and see his room he had his art all over that place. It was like going to Disney Land for my nerdy kid ass, haha.

8Geeky Origins. Empty Re: Geeky Origins. Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:52 am

MikeSabian

MikeSabian
Ninja
Ninja

My uncle pretty much got me into Sci-Fi & comics. I watched the Batman Animated show & collected the action figures like crazy. But he got me into Star Wars, Star Trek & comic books, especially Lobo & Batman. He was a pretty huge influence on me anyway, we'd hang in his room reading comics, watching movies & listening to Thin Lizzy or Monty Python records. He had samurai swords & John Buscema artwork on the walls, he was a very big influence on me as a kid (& definately set up my "geeky origins")

9Geeky Origins. Empty Re: Geeky Origins. Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:04 pm

melvinlikechris

melvinlikechris
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

It was my Dad who helped get me into geeky stuff as he got me the original Star Wars films on VHS, passed on his old comic books and bought more of them for me to read (the usual Spiderman, Batman, X Men, Judge Dredd and even some more obscure stuff), I watched some of the same shows he grew up on like Cpatain Scarlett and Thunderbirds and we share a love of James Bond movies and Playstation games.

My Grandad was also a big influence as he helped develop my interest in classic horror and monster movies as well as classic comedy, I'll always appreciate him for that and still miss him to this day.

10Geeky Origins. Empty Re: Geeky Origins. Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:08 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

I had no one to get me into this stuff. My dad hates sci fi, and my mom just doesn't care about it.

I just always gravitated towards geek stuff. I loved the 90s super hero cartoons (particularly Batman: The Animated Series, X-Men, Spider-Man, and then later Superman: TAS, Batman Beyond, etc.). Then of course there was the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (my dad actually liked them), and then Power Rangers, Beast Wars, and later Pokemon and Digimon. I just liked that stuff. No one had to get me into it. Though, having a whole school that won't shut up about Pokemon did kind of push me into it.

Anyway, I didn't watch any sci fi movies (like Star Wars) growing up since my dad didn't like that stuff I was never exposed to it. Eventually, after becoming even more of a geek I just tried it out and eventually loved it. I did watch the Batman movies growing up, and I loved those. I didn't watch the Superman ones though for some reason. To this day the only Christopher Reeve Superman movie I've seen is the first one.

I loved all the early 2000 Marvel movies, but I still didn't read comics. I had gotten ones here and there as a kid, but nothing regularly. Then I tried the Ultimate Spider-Man game. I LOVED it. So, after finding out it was based off of a comic, I sought it out. I got the first trade and I was hooked. This eventually led me to try out Ultimate X-Men, Ultimate Fantastic Four, Spider-Girl and then Robin. Once I tried out Robin (thanks to a Wizard review of a trade) I continued to branch out into the main DC and Marvel books. And here I am.

11Geeky Origins. Empty Re: Geeky Origins. Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:13 pm

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

One day at the grocery store, when I was three, I saw a comic I wanted and my parents bought it for me (remember the days when grocery stores sold comics?). I guess that's how it all started. For the most part I discovered everything that I like on my own, my parents just supported me by buying me comics and toys and stuff like that. I really only started to heavily get into movies about a year ago and that comes from the directing class I took at school.

12Geeky Origins. Empty Re: Geeky Origins. Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:51 am

tstrike99

tstrike99
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

My mom got me a stack of comics for my birthday when I was 9 or 10. I'm guessing it was something that was on sale at a grocery store or gas station. It was all Marvel titles, many of the characters I had never heard of. That was the start. Now, I am The Collector and I've never looked back since! (except when I'm reeeeaaaalllllly behind on reading them, like now!)

13Geeky Origins. Empty Re: Geeky Origins. Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:13 pm

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

No one would play with me when i was a kid.

No, seriously, my mom had me late in life. there was a 10 year gap between me and my siblings, so, i spent a lot of time watching TV and eventually, reading comics. when i did start making friends, they had similar interests, hence, geekdom...

14Geeky Origins. Empty Re: Geeky Origins. Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:25 pm

Spider_Fan14

Spider_Fan14
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Batman25JM wrote:I had no one to get me into this stuff. My dad hates sci fi, and my mom just doesn't care about it.

I just always gravitated towards geek stuff. I loved the 90s super hero cartoons (particularly Batman: The Animated Series, X-Men, Spider-Man, and then later Superman: TAS, Batman Beyond, etc.). Then of course there was the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (my dad actually liked them), and then Power Rangers, Beast Wars, and later Pokemon and Digimon. I just liked that stuff. No one had to get me into it. Though, having a whole school that won't shut up about Pokemon did kind of push me into it.

Anyway, I didn't watch any sci fi movies (like Star Wars) growing up since my dad didn't like that stuff I was never exposed to it. Eventually, after becoming even more of a geek I just tried it out and eventually loved it. I did watch the Batman movies growing up, and I loved those. I didn't watch the Superman ones though for some reason. To this day the only Christopher Reeve Superman movie I've seen is the first one.

I loved all the early 2000 Marvel movies, but I still didn't read comics. I had gotten ones here and there as a kid, but nothing regularly. Then I tried the Ultimate Spider-Man game. I LOVED it. So, after finding out it was based off of a comic, I sought it out. I got the first trade and I was hooked. This eventually led me to try out Ultimate X-Men, Ultimate Fantastic Four, Spider-Girl and then Robin. Once I tried out Robin (thanks to a Wizard review of a trade) I continued to branch out into the main DC and Marvel books. And here I am.

riv1 wrote:No one would play with me when i was a kid.

No, seriously, my mom had me late in life. there was a 10 year gap between me and my siblings, so, i spent a lot of time watching TV and eventually, reading comics. when i did start making friends, they had similar interests, hence, geekdom...
man, those are pretty sad beginnings. At least you have a whole community to share your geekinesses now.

15Geeky Origins. Empty Re: Geeky Origins. Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:30 pm

Batman25JM

Batman25JM
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

^Yeah, I'm really thankful for PoP! (and the WUMB (before it started to suck)). None of my friends read comics and only a few of them like some of the geekier shows/movies, so if it weren't for PoP! I wouldn't have anyone to talk to about this stuff.

16Geeky Origins. Empty Re: Geeky Origins. Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:39 am

comicgeekelly

comicgeekelly
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah, without PoP I wouldn't have anybody to talk comics with. I'm really hoping that I meet some comic loving people in college.

17Geeky Origins. Empty Re: Geeky Origins. Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:01 am

riv1

riv1
Zombie Ninja
Zombie Ninja

Yeah, the internet was really a great thing for me, once i figured out you could talk comics and stuff. i remember going to the Wizard website and wondering "what's a message board?"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum